/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

Halloween's Over, Prepare For Christmas Edition

Previous Thread: This general is for discussing all shmups/STG (shoot 'em ups/shooting games/shooting type games).
Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s
Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

RECENT RELEASES:
>Raiden V (PS4 and Steam)
store.steampowered.com/app/570050/Raiden_V_Directors_Cut___V_Directors_Cut__V/
>Graze Counter
store.steampowered.com/app/629440/Graze_Counter/
>Sonic Wings 2/Aero Fighters 2
PS4, Xbox One, and Switch
>Castle of Shikigami (Steam)
store.steampowered.com/app/582980/Castle_of_Shikigami/
>Dangun Feveron M2 port (PS4)
Somewhere on PSN
>Touhou 16 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons
kourindou.exblog.jp/25711799/
>Super Hydorah
store.steampowered.com/app/628800/Super_Hydorah
>Pawarumi
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812914421

UPCOMING RELEASES:
>Ketsui M2 port (PS4)
gematsu.com/2017/04/m2-announces-ketsui-m2-shottriggers-release-feveron-school
>Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia
>iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/
>Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194
>Sorcer Striker/Mahou Daisakusen (PS4)
gematsu.com/2017/08/sorcer-striker-m2-shottriggers-release-announced-ps4
>Garegga M2 post (XBO)
m2stg.com/en/battle-garegga/xboxone/
>Earth Defense Force 4.1 Wing Diver
gematsu.com/2017/09/earth-defense-force-4-1-wing-diver-shooter-shoot-em-announced-ps4
>Blue Revolver Black Label Announced
bluerevolvergame.com/1year/

OTHER LINKS:
/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-rdAZ7oATfc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bahmpu~

I know most people say it is worse than the first, but it would still be nice to see some people stream Deathsmiles II runs in December. I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually play it on a stream so that might be fun.

I would..but...I don't actually own it, nor have I ever seen it for sale.

I'd love to do that if I could although I am vastly worse at DS2 since I never play it but I have no way of streaming from my 360, and whatever PC-able version is floating around out there doesn't seem to work on my laptop. I don't know the problem exactly, but whenever I try to start it with my arcade stick plugged in (or anything in the USB port for that matter), it just doesn't open. No error message or anything, just nothing happens.

Oddly, when nothing is in the USB port, the game will open, but I'm pretty sure there was then some other issue that I don't remember. I couldn't configure the controls, or maybe the controls just didn't work, something I dunno.

That's why I've been passively hoping for a Deathsmiles II Steam port someday. I don't think it should take priority, but just knowing that it would come eventually would be good enough for me.

It's a digital download title on the Xbox Live store or whatever it's called on the 360, but only if you're in America apparently. It never even got translated or anything, it's just literally the Japanese version for download.

>It never even got translated or anything, it's just literally the Japanese version for download

Well that's a bit lame, but I suppose I can look into it provided I still have a job come December.

>doesn't seem to work on my laptop
Are you using shmupmame or the lastest build of mame? The latest plays quite a few things shmupmame won't. Might be worth a shot.

Indeed, which is another part of why I hoped for a Steam port, to get an official translation. If it helps I have my own interpretations of the things I can't understand, partially with help from machine translation.

Actually Deathsmiles II is unique in that it's apparently made to run on PCs to begin with. I don't know the details but it doesn't use an emulator like mame.

I actually have an answer for that. Starting in 2009 Cave started releasing games on PC based hardware rather than their traditional integrated boards. Such systems licensed consumer-grade hardware and could pretty much run the same way a PC at the time could.

At the time companies like Taito had already been doing this for a while with the Type X, which even booted into an embedded version of Windows OS.

Bahmpu~

Going live with Mushifuta. I've taken a month off, I hope I still remember how to play this game.

twitch tv/waywardsera

How would you enhance the Rayforce formula?

>inb4 add cute anime girls

Cute an- ...oh

Cute anime....monster girls

deathsmiles sucks...

Cute anime gilrs(male)

Mushihimesama is only so popular because of its art style. Espgaluda is actually a better game.

nah

Prove me wrong. The gameplay in Mushihimesama is generic as fuck.
Espgaluda actually is quite original and different from other games.

nah

espgaluda is too easy for the hardcore gamers of /shmupg/

nah

It's just "muh reco-chan" and "lol bullets hardest game evaarrr!" which makes it more popular.

Casper >>> Reco
Deathsmiles is also a better game.

deathsmiles sucks...

By porting Raycrisis to something other than a goddamn phone

>The gameplay in Mushihimesama is generic as fuck.
Play something besides original

>implying the other modes play much different

espgaluda? I hardly know her!

lmao you dumb fuck. ds2 is pc hardware, what you dl is a crack to make it run on other pcs and not emulation.

[Rhythmic tapping intensifies]

Impress the ladies (or the gents) with your rhythmic tapping!

>hardcore gamers
>caring about clear difficulty
sure thing kid

>the virgin dadscore autofire
>the chad rhythmic tapper finger banger

is worth to get tate monitor?

is very worth..

Depends how easy it will be for you to set up.
If it's just going to be your regular monitor then sure.
But if it involves you having to switch cables and whatever whenever you play a shmup, then not.

i can't get ccwi working in obs classic, help

phew, no one wants to see that shit anyway.

believe in yourself

Can't you just use monitor capture and fullscreen it?

that means capture all the shit on display

Remove other shit from display, problem solved

>#20

If I wanna get into shmups should I use my stick or just use keyboard?

Whatever feels more comfortably to you.

>I wanna get into shmups
youtube.com/watch?v=-rdAZ7oATfc

>not playing with tobii eye tracking inputs

>hey guys i dont know what''s best for myself, please tell me what to think!

What a fucking sad generation you're from.

>tfw you weren't born with the superplayer gene

>tfw you were not born japanese

the first mushihimesama is trash but futari is better than espgaluda

It's ok, you can still get a western world record.

Yo yo yo dogg, muh niggas Aquas holding it DOWN!

how the fuck are you supposed to dodge the futari stage 3 boss's final pattern on maniac

its like every time the 3rd wave comes in the screen is just so cluttered with shit its inevitable to get trapped in between like 4 or 5 bullets and you either die or are forced to bomber

where dis?

Bahmpu~

You cannot, it is perfect.

You can only pathetically rip it off like CCWI.

Oh you mean how Rayforce riped off After Burner? Probably..

>you can still get a western world record.
>implying any self-respecting person would want this

Holding no WR is better than holding a western WR.

A guy named Sarvent or something. They played Gradius Gaiden together and looked like kusoplayers with attitudes

>Rayforce riped off After Burner

yep, did i crush your dreams now or something?

and how do you figure so?

The lock-on mechanic was the main feature of Rayforce. They were showing off with it like fuck. After Burner already did the exact same thing before them though.

t. salty bitch who will never get a WWR

>he doesn't know after burner
underage is not allowed

Rail shooters are superior anyway, as seen by Sin & Punishment.

the kraut has quit guwange and moved on to espgaluda now?

No, I'm playing After Burner now.

Yes I have played After Burner, but I don't see how it and Rayforce both having a lock-on feature makes the other a rip-off. Yes it was a big deal for both and AB was first, but they're completely different games otherwise.

It's ludicrous to believe that Rayforce specifically ripped off AB, whereas CCWI may as well be called Inferior Rayforce: Bullet Hell edition. Of course that was the dev's intention.

>It's ludicrous to believe that Rayforce specifically ripped off AB
No, it's not? Taito acted like they invented a whole new revolutionary thing with the lock-on, but AB already did this years before. It was a blatant rip-off, yet everyone always only mentions Rayforce when a shmup has a lock-on mechanic. It was After Burner which did this first. Then other games did their own versions of it.

Again, they are completely different games. It's irrelevant what AB did, because it's not a shmup to begin with and it's much older than Rayforce too. Why the fuck would Taito look to a then seven-year-old game like AB for guidance on how to design their shmup?

For a more similar game, try Lock-On (lmao) which did it a year before AB. And it wasn't the first either.

Guess what, lock-on mechanics may be something that multiple devs were able to come up with on their own.
It's not that mind-blowing, especially when your game is about fighter jets.

>they are completely different games
With one and the same core mechanic.

>It's irrelevant what AB did, because it's not a shmup to begin with
Stupid? Of course rail shooters are shmups too. Western STG cult is just too retarded and focused too much on touhou and cave animu shit to understand this.

>Why the fuck would Taito look to a then seven-year-old game like AB
Developers constantly look at older games you retard. Because people notice it less when you rip them off. And they often have ideas which were not perfected yet. Look at Xevious for example. This game is old as fuck, but inspired a shit ton of games. Rayforce was also inspired by this. It's basically just a mix between Xevious and After Burner, with updated graphics.

>For a more similar game, try Lock-On (lmao) which did it a year before AB. And it wasn't the first either.
May be that After Burner was not the first which did this, but Rayforce was also not the first. Yet people like you always act like Rayforce invented lock-on mechanics.

If anything, a western world record is even more prestigious than a boring regular world record. After all, anyone can get a world record, but only a westerner can get a western world record.

lmao

>rail shooters are shmups too.
That argument can be made but AB and RF are clearly very different in how they play. If we want to call AB a shmup, then it is a very specific one, and is not what you think of when you think of shmups.

So when you say that devs look at older games, then yes that's true but it doesn't matter because for one there's no proof or precedent that they had to for RF (again, wildly different games, so why bother), and secondly it had to be implemented in a much different way anyway.
S
o even if someone at Taito at some point thought "Yo we absolutely gotta have that lock-on from After Burner (1987)," which is unlikely, then it has no effect on how revolutionary RF really was. It was for shmups. It may not have been for AB-style games, but there aren't that many of those.

>AB and RF are clearly very different in how they play
No, they play very similar. They are about shooting enemies and dragging your target rectangle above enemies before launching your homing missiles/lasers. AB is just in an other perspective and has a different art style. Like I said, it's a mix between AB/Lock-on and Xevious.

>is not what you think of when you think of shmups
Depends on your perspective. Back then people certainly thought of them as shmups. I think people nowadays just think of shmups as horis and verties primarily because talented developers focused more on these styles of shmups, because it's probably the best design choice for shmups, but actually rail shooters, run n guns, etc are also shmups. Go and play Sin & Punishment 2 and try telling me that this isn't a shmup. It's certainly a shmup and pretty fucking amazing at that.

>it has no effect on how revolutionary RF really was
Of course it has effect on this. Rayforce was a very good game, but it wasn't as revolutionary many people make it out to be. It was just a mix between Xevious and some game with a lock-on mechanic, that's it.

learn a new genre one trick faggot. Got to final boss of the punisher for the first time on 1 credit, raped my shitter.

>its x mixed with y
innovation in a nutshell

So CCWI is innovative too then?

>not clearing punisher on the first credit
lol kys

Sure why not

play mahou dadsuckusen

Already have 1-all in MAME. Gotta wait until my next paycheck to buy it on console.

but you can't 1 all it
it continues until you die or 2 all

I beat the first loop on 1 credit once and have no plans to do both first and second loop on 1 credit until I own the game on PS4*

fuck with me you fuck with the boiz.

LUL

>job
>2 all
you can only choose one

Wrong. One is not limited to two options.

>job
>2-all
>social life
I have chosen job and 2-all.

Bump

Faux Bahmpu

I like mushihimesama original for it's fast bullets and cave style patterns. It's unique in their library and even futari isn't the same.

Definitely. I use to just take my monitor off the stand and prop it up every time, and I was ok with that. Having a monitor that just easily lets me rotate whenever is wonderful.

I watched his twitch, he's real weirdo

I think he is a wigger.