/arena/ - Arena FPS General

"YOU LET IT DIE RETARDS! HERE YOU HAVE SOME AS PUNISHMENT" edition.

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Current Q:C News: Couple esports™ tournaments going on this week. Twitch drops are apparently clegged up so no more multiple free chests per day, booo. Rumor mill sez the November patch- if it happens- won't be any content changes, just performance stuff, so expect the reign of Doomguy and Anarki to continue. Suicide is always the answer.

Latest Q:C patch:
bethesda.net/community/topic/113187/patch-notes-early-access-update-18-10-17

Pastebin with download links for FREE GAMES: pastebin.com/NzQifF9b

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

Q:C custom weapon skin showcase, complete with dual wield:
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play Q:C
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

Look at this carcass of last thread. JUST LOOK!:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ETeowFt9FlU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> - hitscan based weaponry
> - cover-based gameplay
> - horizontal maps.
Unfortunately nope. Hitscans are always weak or tricky in arena shooters. Also, maps are VERY vertical and multi-layered - the best recent example would be Champgrounds - QC version of Campgrounds.

just let it die RIP arena

I went to have some dinner and I came back to a death thread, what the FUG?

Counter Strike is technically allowed here, and technically speaking is a lot more similar to Gears than it is to Quake or Unreal. I say let'em

Is bunny hopping even a thing anymore? I don't see many people doing it on QL.

Bunny hopping is used for Quakeworld and CPMA. The mechanic used to pick up speed in Q2 and Q3 is called strafe jumping.

I've seen a lot of people just running around, rather than jumping these past few days.

they are brainlets

Come join Quakeworld MegaTF
tastyspleen.net::MegaTF Classics (74.86.171.201:27502)

Have you been contacted by the Quake account yet? Contest rules say they'd be contacting artists on the 3rd, not gotten anything yet. Starting to worry.

youtube.com/watch?v=ETeowFt9FlU

>select BJ
>he has ring of invisibility on

I think you found out where Orbb went.

We all need to agree on a single game. Imagine if all those fragmented quake clones were put on a single server list. So yeah, go play CPMA

/arena/ already has an official main game

Last franchise I saw try to do that ended up putting out a game where less than half of the game was well done.

When you have multiple games with different physics it's usually not a good idea to try to put them on the same package, especially if you don't have a wizard like Carmack making sure it's all right.

delete this at once.

AMD codes for Quake Champions still work and give the same amount of content as the $30 Steam bundle, right?

I haven't checked that myself but some other user last thread said the AMD deal wasn't very good because it gave you less shit or something like that.

Really? Maybe you get less loot boxes or some bullshit like that but the AMD deal seems to give you access to every existing and future hero.

Judging by that one part of The New Colossus, this glitch for BJ seems appropriate.

You should probably wait for someone else to respond, but that's what I saw someone else say.

DON"T fucking make threads anymore you worthless arenafaggots.

Fuck you nigger I do what I want!

Wow you little stinky faggot I will bitch slap your sorry fat ass after school, your fucking dead nerd.

1v1 me irl faggit I swear 2 god

So is the plot of Scourge of Armageddon basically the same as Doom 2's plot?

Suck it down girl

You are making me uncomfortable

I don't think I've ever lost a duel 0-3 in this fashion.

>draw me like one of your french HUHs

HUEG

>EdgeMaster420

What techniques from the multiplayer are useful in the SP for the games that this applies?

Pretty much everything. Aiming, advanced movement, etc.

I've always wondered how the bots aiming works, like, I know you can doge projectiles, but does moving around fast also help avoid hitscan shots from the enemies?

Most enemies will have a turn radius, so yes

Rocket jumping, circlejumping and bunnyhopping/strafejumping when speedrunning Q1 and Q2. Otherwise, it's pretty much general stuff. SP games are pretty slow and casual, so hitscan-heavy games like CS:GO would probably help more.

Also keep in mind bunnyhopping is noticeably less effective in most Q1 singleplayer ports, as they're based off NetQuake which has slightly different physics compared to the later Quakeworld multiplayer rules (namely QW has no required frame of friction when the player touches the ground, meaning it's easier to gain and keep speed, while NQ forces the player to actually 'touch' the ground for an instant after each jump).

It probably isn't that big of a deal when you are the only one speeding around anyway.

Yeah, Quake Done Quick/Quicker/Quickets/Plaid/etc look snazzy and all but plain rocketjumping is enough to either skip or outright break massive parts of the id1 maps because none of them were designed with it in mind (other than the one secret level exit with a hole in the floor to grenade-jump off).

I'm sure the expansions have more uses for them, they seem to make better use of Quake's hot new technologies for the time a lot better than the vanilla game.

>won my first FFA by hitting the fraglimt
WE'RE ALL GONNA MAKE IT, BROS

QC won't make it lmao

why are you such a debbie downer user

>ow
Delet THAT

You just haven't been disappointed enough. A month from now, you'll be like me.

i didn't know it's from overwatch, never played it. my apologies.

Nice counter. Now the ones accusing you have to explain how they know it's from OW

>tfw QC will die before you get a chance to play it

Nah. When it goes F2P, you will at the very least have people to frag. Mostly fresh blood, too. The game WILL get a second wind, regardless of how long it lasts

Unless the game was godly optimized for toasters I'll need it to live for at least a couple of years.

Well, fuck.
Hopefully you get $ soon user

but i've been playing since the first closed beta already

>"Get 50 Machinegun Kills" and "Get 50 Kills with the Machinegun or Heavy Machinegun" are separate runes
>still not sure if the former tracks both or just the starter MG

I'm sure it'd help them to have a cracked version somewhere so people can get an idea of the performance of the game at this time.

>Leave for a day
>/arena/ dies
Shiiiiieeeeeeeet

Goodnight /arena/, you faggots better not let the thread die again!

Do you like the q3 rl skin /arena/? Thinking of buying it

Ehhh. Honestly from the mid-section forward the default RL looks more like the Q3A RL than the 'q3 rl skin' does (Q3-AA?).

Guess i will keep saving up even more shards then

Join the club. I've got like 7,000 shards and nothing to spend them on because I already have alternate models for every weapon except the tri-bolt, because fuck the tri-bolt and can only unlock attachments for my waifus from duplicate drops.

I only like its sound.

Q3 RL is the ugliest skin in the game
>looks almost nothing like the RL from Q3
>the rocket cylinders don't animate
It looks like the GL from Serious Sam

Q1 RL da best

But it looks like a weird penis

you look like a weird penis

Is it possible to get CPMA DM games?
I don't want to play duel all the time, but if there's a chance of DM or TDM I'm up for it.

Sure. It's possible.

I miss Twitch drops.

Why are you not playing QC right now?

I'm not playing again until they fix ROF being tied to framerate. You need to get 140FPS to have the LG behave as it was supposed to do. Fuck that

Also, as soon as they fix it, people will notice the "new LG" isn't bad at all, it's just that for most people it was not hitting at the proper speed. It will be a boon to both its DPS and the pinning ability of the weapon

eating breakfast

meant to quote

Watching dota.
I enjoy QC but it can't hold me for too long, a few games at a time at the most. Hopefully I can get more into it as performance improves.

I have this weird problem with QC where it would turn off my entire PC but the fans would still spin and then when I restart it won't let me log in until the match I've played has ended.

What's weird is that it's not an overheat and only started happening after I switched the motherboard/cpu and the absolute strangest part is that it only does it once per day, never more.

So that and the fact that I still rage a lot at some of the things that happen in this game (retard anarki gauntlets and so on).

le ebin non-AMD sabotage

>I enjoy QC but it can't hold me for too long, a few games at a time at the most.
Same here, the bullshit bugs and crashing makes it very hard to play qc for longer periods of time

You know what would easily fix the LG? Increase the "projectile" size. Hell, let's increase the projectile size of both shotguns, SNG, and railgun. And change RA and MH to go at least 75 over your normal max health/armor. Would make the game more consistent and less missed-shot haven.

Typically you can't make hitscan tracers thiccer. You would need to program a cylinder coming off your view origin to collide with the target or something

It think it would make the game feel kinda gross. Hitscan already lands instantly, which is a massive advantage. Don't make it even dumber

More simulatory games have bullets with a collision box, but you also need to lead just about everything, and the distance to lead changes with every distance change

Clawz and Voo are playing

>italian esports open
What's this? I'm surprised there are organizers who fell for the QC meme.

All that lagg, how can anyone take this tournament seriously

yeah
this is no longer nice

The only decent arena shooters are
xonotic
warsow
maybe reflex if you are faggot

i've been reading trash posts like yours for years

I hope that's not coffee

It's not coffee, it's warm Pepsi.

also source of that gif even tho its most likely not a hentai?

i'm assuming voo beat clawz?

>tfw too intelligent to win