/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk all about everything Sonic! Share art and music, discuss new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and more!

/sthg/ #1033 - The Real Sonic Forces Edition

>Sonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9wQojS0lxpTHl2b1F6ZUdzd28/view?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1Yg4kwxlaVrxnoc6Vqo7cfFAPt7CFAg4DTYXeD03W2jI/edit?usp=sharing
bravewave.net/sonicadventure
youtube.com/watch?v=HoAx9SGNpNE
patreon.com/rafaknight
youtube.com/watch?v=BY_H4d68IUc
youtube.com/watch?v=WqMevxSKiCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3pVHJeIUWOI
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hL0eHplP8
cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/637100/manuals/SF_STEAM_MANUAL_EN_LRv5.pdf?t=1509726054
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*collides*

*BEEP* *BEEP*
Best ship coming through.

from GHPAnon previous thread:
Okay, kiddos.

drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9wQojS0lxpTHl2b1F6ZUdzd28/view?usp=sharing

Here's the link to the new Sonic controller that will hopefully serve as the basis for the community Sonic controller. I would like as many of you as possible to play it with a PC controller if you can (you can set inputs via the configuration window when you boot up the program if you need to).

I'd like you to pay attention to Sonic's acceleration, his top speed, his turn radius, his air control, his jump arc, how the camera behaves as it follows Sonic, etc. Really try to get into what, in your own heart, feels good about playing a Sonic game and compare it to what we have so far.

This new build's features are as follows:
>Contains new sound effects as specified by the community
>Sonic now has more stopping power in the air for more precise platforming
>Sonic now has more ground-sticking power, making it easier to stay attached to slopes while running along them
>Sonic now has more power over upward slopes while rolling, making spin dashing through loops and up ramps more fun to perform.

As you play please note any comments here:
docs.google.com/document/d/1Yg4kwxlaVrxnoc6Vqo7cfFAPt7CFAg4DTYXeD03W2jI/edit?usp=sharing

Please be specific as you make comments. Simply stating that something "doesn't feel good" doesn't help us much. Please try to state not only what you don't like, but what you would like to see in order to improve it.

Thanks, everybody. Hope you have fun with it.

Remove Boom

That third pairing!

What could have been qq

WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN

I FEEL

LIKE I AM WAITING

FOR ANOTHER DAY

WHEN THE CLOUDS GO

AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY

In more news
Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 Vinyls are coming

bravewave.net/sonicadventure
>WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN
Will we live to tell
The mystery of midnight and its spell

CAN YOU FEEL IT

AHHHHOOOHHH

CAN YOU FEEL IT

The trifecta is canon and there's nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise.

youtube.com/watch?v=HoAx9SGNpNE

Complete this sentence.

The next mainline Sonic game has you playing as ___ to prevent the marriage of ___ and ___.

>Fun is infinite
>Infinite

Wait a second...

Knuckles to prevent the marriage of Rouge and Master emerald.

Everyone knows Knuckles and Master emerald are otp

Infinite is just a buzzword

What the fuck is this?

The next mainline Sonic game has you playing as Sonic to prevent the marriage of Amy and Eggman.

Call it Sonic Odyssey

Boom Sonic to prevent the marriage of Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic.

The next mainline Sonic game has you playing as sonic to prevent the marriage of eggman and Princess Elise

Iizuka has what people like down to a T

>The next mainline Sonic game has you playing as Omega to prevent the marriage of Sonic and Blaze.

If this means alternate outfits, then just fucking rip it all off.

The next mainline Sonic game has you paying as Knuckles to prevent the marriage of Knuckles and Knuckles.

>the switch version has a Mario outfit

>unlockable Saturn Sonic model with the Sonic Jam hubworld as a secret area

i thought omega was against gay marriage

I'm amazed that people actually could not crack the Wii U version of SLW's DLC and get it on PC forcing them to try and remake it

RELEASE THE MODELS, RAFA

Omega is not a lady, user.

She is releasing them. You just have to pay $8+ dollars on her Patreon.

patreon.com/rafaknight

Oh, recently too. Ain't that a nice surprise
SFM lewds when

whenever someone gets around to it

and it'll all be vore and foot shit

I don't really understand the point of loops from a level design perspective, I know they're really iconic for Sonic, but what purpose do they serve?

They do nothing but look cool.

There is no point, it just looked cool and it's now a staple

So what is the right place to put them in a level, and how many is "too many"?

Have you ever gotten all 326 routes in Shadow the Hedgehog? If I try it, what will happen to me?

You will want to commit suicide

depends on what you're going for. if it's a speedy level like chemical plant or starlight zone then you can put quite a few. if it's an early level or a more balanced speed/platform level then you only need a handful (about 2 to 5 loops)

I guess it really depends on the length of the level.

A test for players to make sure they understand and can maintain Sonic's physics and momentum. In the 2D games anyway, it's all for style in 3D games due to the scripted nature needed to make sure Sonic doesn't fly off.

Hard Mode: PS2 version only

You've got to explain the differences to me. I'm playing the gamecube version on a dolphin emulator at the moment.

I've played Sonic games for many years, but I find the level layout in them (and platforms in general) harder to grasp from a design perspective than in other games.

Like here for example, I find it a bit hard to understand why every element was placed where it was. What makes that the right place for the loop, instead of, say, slightly further back or fowards?

You'll either get bored and give up at some point or become a god player of Shadow the Hedgehog

I got to about 200, but by then I'd turned 21 and moved out

in Sonic 1's case yes but the spindash makes it moot considering you have a way to get instant speed

*rest*

rolling to the left and a properly timed jump will get you the extra life on top of the loop. it's also a speed trap to the right since you have have spikes and bottomless pits if you go too fast. so in this case it's both a reward for physics mastery and a trap for those too cocky and inexperienced of the level layout. really you just have to be conscious of the why when placing a loop.

If you needed the spindash chances are you still failed the test and didn't take the best path or failed at keeping momentum if you fail to go through a loop. It still breaks the pace and flow, but spindash just lets you get back into the action faster.

The spindash isn't in Sonic 1. His map is of Green Hill act 2

The next mainline Sonic game has you playing as Sonic to prevent the marriage of Robotnik and Sara.

admit it, Infinite was underwhelming

youtube.com/watch?v=BY_H4d68IUc

Anyone else remember freaking out when they saw Sonic in a Progressive commercial?

why would sonic need insurance?
I like how they used Sonic 3 music

That's a pretty good explanation. So is every little challenge planned out individually and layed out across the map by some parameter like difficulty or is the whole level build in some sort of coherence, where every section leads to another for a reason?

>it will never be 2010-2012 again
It seemed so hopeful back then.

>the world through Sonic's eyes
What did they mean by this?

2010 was full of Sonic 4 despair. The worst is over today user.

late huggu

thank you for filling in for me

sonic confirmed for two eyes

Requesting sauce.
How many of these can you make?

Colours swooped in and saved the day. Which is funny, because everyone was looking forward to 4 since the Project Needlemouse teaser. Then Colours comes out of fucking nowhere, bringing back the Day levels from Unleashed to a lot of positive reception.

Only a few months after that, we get the Gens teaser showing the return of Classic and many old zones to be remade into the current style at the time. Also the first PC port since Riders.

Yeah, 4 was a disappointment, but it all got overshadowed completely by those 2 games. Say what you like about them now but back then, it was a good time to be a fan.

Fairly sure those have been around for a while, tho it's the first time I see those 2 in particular.

Guess who's back
back again
user's back
tell a friend

>Colours comes out of fucking nowhere
This is the video that got me back into Sonic youtube.com/watch?v=WqMevxSKiCQ
I never had a Wii so I couldn't play it thought. That was a torture until I could get my hands on Generations. tfw Wisp Planet level, this game knew about me

That reminds me. The voice cast changing was huge news too. I was a bit disappointed that we lost Griffith after he was finally improving. Pollock staying on was good to hear though.

youtube.com/watch?v=3pVHJeIUWOI

Missed the last thread gaylord.

Puberty Tails is so annoying. What happened to the cutest fox?

Give him a few years, he'll grow out of it.

technically buddy IS anyone
all he is is a survivor that wanted to join sonic's ranks

Give it time. They'll balance the two.

You done fucked up.
You think anyone here is going to take you seriously after last thread?
Not one Sonic_Utopia_Trailer.webm

You're off your game Fox.

While I'm still a bit here and there about Kirk's Shadow, I reckon if the voice direction was done better he could pull it off excellently.

Also,
>My new game, with my new sidekick, Big the Cat

Fuck you I'd pay top dollar.
It'd be a buddy cop action game.
"-complete and total application of the law. Any questions"
"Is it true, there's a part on a guys head that if you shoot it, it blows up"
>UrgeToIgnoreMaria'sWish Intensifies

not really sure how to answer this. good level flow and difficulty is something we can only grasp after analyzing the stages. how they originally did it and how we fan creators do it doesn't mater as long as the level is fun and fair to the end user. it's possible they did both methods or only used one or the other for determining what felt "right" as for what they were aiming for.

It’s pretty lame you have to worry about bootlegs or slightly to heavily overpriced shit at conventions even when it’s to be expected.

There’s some Sonic stuff over here including a wide variety of GE plushes but most are like $30 but this big ass Storm plush is $40. I suppose some are fairly priced (and you have to consider that GE doesn’t make Sonic plushes anymore), but I guess many people think it’s more reassuring to pay more in person when you can flat out see it’s real than pay a cheaper price for a potential bootleg. I actually saw a small Sonic from Toy Island(?) for $10, that’s not so bad.

I bought a potentially overpriced $8 keychain. And I did see a fanmade custom Sonic keychain (which I personally think is uncommon to see) for about $12-15 but can be 3 for $30, a more furry like art style.

Hopefully more Sonic shit shows up, otherwise I can look at other series like AA and Touhou

We could. It's easy. You probably don't even need a Wii U to do it. It's just that nobody bothered.

And you would’ve thought that there’s be more rare and/or Japanese exclusive shit hidden at the cons like pic related but there’s not. It’s disappointing but hey, it’s an anime convention and it’s likely to focus on actual anime series but I can’t help to be a bit bitter about it.

At this point, I might legitimately believe that.

>3 days

where is that forces gif of sonic falling and eggman claiming to destroy the world in 3 days when you need it?

Nice. The title is slightly misleading though, I was expecting Tails Adventure VA, not Heroes.

Is this the best track in the game?
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hL0eHplP8

cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/637100/manuals/SF_STEAM_MANUAL_EN_LRv5.pdf?t=1509726054

DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY

« 72 hours remain »

Tails probably watches My Hero Academia, the protagonist is pretty much him.

What are you talking about? What we have right now is a lot better.

Why are you trying to make me watch My Hero Academia?

Except Deku becomes useful.

I mean, the first couple of episodes, for sure.
But then he starts standing up for himself and having this super awesome power and shit.
Tails just went from side-kick to competent team member to whiny teen from the sidelines.

Deku went from nothing to Only Capable of Doing One Punch at a time, Man, to one of the best assets on the team.

All might Tails is the best though

>watch

>reading anime

Vigilante would involve the avatar, though

The only difference is that Tails is the protagonist, with his own Knuckles and Amy, and Sonic is slowly dying and losing his power. Rather than it being an anime about All Might with Deku, despite being the successor of One For All, eventually not being apart of the action and just supporting from the sidelines with his analytical stuff.

Let's say Tails loves My Hero Academia, Shadow enjoys Kill La Kill, and Knuckles has convinced himself that he is One Punch Man, what anime would Sonic like the most?

Speed Racer and Initial D, duh

I can imagine Tails liking anime because he's a fucking dork, and Shadow gets away with it due to Gerald's fucking Ma-Ri-A password, they either knew or could be partially Japanese.

Knuckles the lone islander with a fondness for the wild, nature, and meditating next to his rock with no girls but a dead ghost to keep him company doesn't seem like the kind of echidna to torrent anime.

Sonic would like some corny entry level anime though.

That all being said, Shadow, Omega and Rouge are very Cowboy Bebop in team ethics.

None, because Sonic is an all-American hedgehog and he doesn't have time for those Chinese cartoons