mega.nz/#!FY4FWSqJ!cmzApH4QzwGprtXB2uskr0_5hc9ulUvq7azATRBWVUA

/rpgmg/ Collab Project | Ch5 awaiting volunteer
mediafire.com/file/ckfve2l1n6skby6/CollabProj-4.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

lemmyrodul.itch.io/doshjobs
pastebin.com/annMrjPg
youtu.be/uNMl6QQPb38
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think they're called Adventure and Visual Novels.

Hello Charlotte calls itself an RPG parody - what does that even mean? You can parody narratives, how do you parody gameplay?
To The Moon is an Adventure game. It had a fake turn based battle with a squirrel to make a joke about "rpgs"
I get that turn based battle systems are common in rpgs, but it gives people the false impression that it's what defines the Genre. If the gameplay doesn't focus on CHARACTER PROGRESSION then it's not an rpg. If the characters are all static, and it has turn based battles - your playing a Strategy Game, probably inside of a SIM.

Thank you. I'm on day 2 of caffeine withdrawl and have too bad a headache to explain what RPGs are and are not.

Is there a tool to replace all instances of a name in a script for VX Ace? Wanted to change the names of a couple of characters, but my script is so long.

Do it manually

Not for VX Ace. There are only text extraction tools.
In MV you can just open the map's json file and find-replace.

This is why I recommend people call dialogue from common events. So rather than going through nested maps and events the dialogue will be listed all in the same place.

N-Noooo...

good progress today, managed to sort out and streamline a convoluted event full of unnecesary choices

So events on the map will need 2 things.
It sets an ID variable .
And the Common event call.

So in the Common Event tab you have All the towns NPC dialogue in 1 event. But they're separated by conditional branches based on the ID variable you set.

So you talk to an old woman. The event sets the ID variable to "2". Then calls the common event for town dialogue.
If ID="1"
show text "This isn't the text you are looking for"
If ID="2"
show text "Only this Text will display"
If ID="3"
show text "You can't see this unless you set the ID variable was set to 3. "

RPG Maker offers a couple things to storytellers, like

>Art assets
>Music
>Interactivity

A straight book generally isn't as appealing as a 'game.' It's also won't get as advertised as extensively on social media by fans (you can't have GIFs of a book, so it's harder to convince people to try it)

They could work as manga, unless (like Yume Nikki) the experience is defined by the player's exploration or (like To The Moon) defined by the format (a video game).

Anyone have suggestion for evasion stats icon?
I already have:

Physical Attack - Axe
Physical Defense - Shield
Magical Attack - Staff
Magical Defense - Wizard Hat

Speed - Blue Double Arrow pointing Left
Will - Blue flame
Accuracy - Bullseye
Evasion - ????

Move - Shoe with Green Arrow in the background pointing right
Jump - Shoe with Red Arrow in the background pointing up

Yeah, it's a tactic game.

A bunny rabbit
An exclamation point
A ghost

Thank you for the idea.
Based on your suggestion, I'll use rabbit paw instead.
I don't understand how ghost and exclamation point become evasion, though.

The other guy gave better suggestions, but if you are going for a minimalist style, you could also use something like this to mean "jumping/rolling away".

You're going to edit those database manually and you're going to love it.

No

bumps

Oh, this looks nice as a jump icon.
I'll take draw this soon. Thank you.

How do you fight the voice in your head telling you your project sucks?

Not all doubts are "evil" crippling self-doubts that are hold you back.

Maybe it's just common sense and you need to figure out what to change to make it better.

Blood sacrifice, until it comes back.

You are fucked bud. implemented the script that added the little name box and had to edit every single message manually.

I also increased the resolution to 640x480, so I had to re-format the entire text in the game, because -picture related- happened.

Plus resizing every CG

stop

'no'

But thou must

Does your setting have any sports or competitions?

I like colosseum matches in Action RPGs because even if your underlevels you can still win with the right maneuvers.

I've enjoyed them in Turn Based RPGs, but only because the opponents were unique and used attacks and animations that weren't seen in the rest of the game.
Or they were late game enemies, and you got weapons with special skills attached to them that felt very rewarding.
Rare stuff.

Don't match the player with common enemies or give them 1 time use items like Elixirs. That feels like a waste of time.

You can't hit ghosts

You can if you try really hard.

*question about your game that was actually made to bump the thread, not because the poster actually cares about your game*

*arbitrary answer to the question that was actually made to bump the thread, not because the poster actually cares about your question*

where are the yaoi hrpg maker games

>Implying I don't

Bump with boss advice from Inspirobot

So this is my shitty entry for the JAM.
lemmyrodul.itch.io/doshjobs

I'm not satisfied, I was so busy this month. And I still got work I'm late on non vidya related.

I just want to finish it all and work on Cash Sample.

It's pretty short, the only mini game I was able to play was the one where you cross the bridge.
Not sure if there were more, but that one got old quick.

Yeah that's the only one, the demo ends when you reach the buildings.

On yaoi sites. Duh.

If I decide to use thematic but non-indicative names for a character's skills (such as eye diseases, for examples), is that acceptable, or does it just come off as cringeworthy and/or trying too hard to be unique?

I would think that opaque and hard to remember names would be confusing, but Binding of Isaac seemed to get away with non-indicative item names that included diseases. Go for it, see what happens.

partially faded characters is a pretty popular way to represent evasion in videogames too.

Afterimages on a generic person icon, maybe?

Edgy bump

Poetry bump.

Wait, does RPGM2003 not support multi-hitting attacks?

This is for text boxes only. It's easy to do for other bits of text if you understand the principle.
pastebin.com/annMrjPg

My advice: Don't die again

ded

Okay

My advice: Take Bruce Lee's advice

I used to admire people like that. But then I realized they were all on drugs.
They were essentially putting a bottle or brick behind the brake pedal and called it "discipline".
"You can do anything" is the euphoria talking.

Take away their adderall, hashish, painkillers, or whatever they're getting high off of.
And suddenly they're just regular humans like everyone else.

I'd love to rub it in their faces. Call them lazy and talk them down like they did to everyone else. They didn't overcome anything. They just swept it under the rug because they COULDN'T HANDLE IT! What? Who's the baby now?! Guess all the endurance and resilience was just a
>Deception

I use to admire writers because I thought they were so prolific. Then I learned about ghostwriters it was like finding out Santa Claus wasn't real.

I don't agree with the "empty urself :^)" idea, or at least not everyone should follow it. Passions are part of being human, they make us suffer but they also make us feel the delight of living. There is no point on denying them. A man who is not attached to anything, a man who holds no unbreakable values or principles, will never suffer greatly, but will never enjoy life greatly either. A soulless way to live, but some people find peace on this quietness. Which path should we choose?

bump

d

This is full of contradictions, word play, and mixed messages. If Bruce lee said any of this, he was a hypocrite.
Goals without limits? Be yourself; not yourself.
First he says there's no glory in not trying. Then he says don't seeking glory.

This is one of those motivational speeches where you just say a lot of nonsense and hope people will hear what they want to hear.

Like "Don't worry about what people think of you"
"oh, but show character so you have their respect. "
whatever floats your boat I guess.

I finished the Steel Zeroes demo a little while ago, I'm a little embarrassed with how long it took me to finish the power plant (first because I didn't know that the elevator wasn't just part of the background, and second on the timed button press stage because I thought you had to go back the way you came on the last button). I'm looking forward to the finished game.

e

stop posting these fucking motivationals and share your goddamn design notes. I know they take awhile to commit to paper/.jpg but if I can do it, so can you. I shared, give me yours! Let all your embarrassing maps and ideas sprawl out for me to see!

But what if I don't use any? I've been working on Tempus Ex Machina as I go along (before my computer died). Not the GREATEST idea obviously mind you but hey it's worked out for me so far. Speaking of, my computer miraculously turned on even though it was dead so I just backed everything up and am gonna work on my game for as long as my computer lets me until the new one arrives. So that's some good news update I guess.

Damnit!

so this is the power of show image events.
Woah....

>I let you see my dick.
>Now show me yours.
yeah, no. That's not how it works. We're not all attention seekers looking for a circle jerk.

>Not sure if sarcasm.

>That's not how it works
they're design notes, not selfies. It's exactly how this works. And actually, it's how it works for dicks too. If you're shown a dick and you don't show yours, you're fucking GAY.

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personnality and duplicate it."

"I am not teaching you anything. I just help you to explore yourself."

"My name is Bob and if you buy my car, you will be proud of yourself!"

Some progress, before and after a boss battle.

youtu.be/uNMl6QQPb38

Really glad you enjoyed it user! Hope you have fun with the next demo, should be around 4 hours long, and eventually the final game!

bump

Guys, I might actually be retarded.
I was following the tutorial for how to make a game in VXAce, almost exactly to a letter, and I get an error while I'm in combat. I don't know what I did wrong. I choose my guy, have him attack, and once the last frame of the attack ends, the error pops up.
Can someone help interpret this error?

Bruce Lee is a special type of autist whose passion is martial arts. To be a complete human being, he feels his mind must be in the 4th dimension - exactly where it needs to be, and nowhere that it doesn't. This purity of thought allows him to perform at his best level.

People forget that being a good martial artist doesn't automatically make you a better writer, or music player, or attain all of life's answers. These are his answers. Bill Waterson (creator of Calvin and Hobbes) has basically the opposite philosophy - "Do whatever makes you happy, even if it doesn't make you rich." Both seek self-satisfaction, but Waterson's approach doesn't always mean self-improvement. His answersd are different, yet still correct.

>they're just regular humans like everyone else.
The real world is a lot more boring than stories lead us to believe. Shakespeare wasn't a terribly great writer, but he was pretty good. Some fanboy in the 1800's rewrote a lot of his crappier verses into what we read today

This is your newest partymember.
Say something nice to her.

I means it means it's trying to do something with '[ ]' but there's no instructions.

Like, it was checking a variable or something but the variable doesn't exists. Nil. It was never initialized.
It needs to be told what to do.

These things are commonly overlooked with save data. The script runs fine on a new game. But it's not included in the save data. So when you load a file, it's just not there. It's like it was never created.

Put on some clothes please

How did we come to pick up somebody in a nazi uniform?

I showed you my dick. Now show me yours.

I want to bring psychological horror to a fantasy rpg.
But can it be done? With a party?

It's like Dead Space failed to be a psychological horror because your a walking power house. You never really feel vulnerable.

I wonder if having party members will give the player a sense of safety in numbers.
And speaking of numbers. There's also reassurance having an overview of levels and stats. You can evaluate pretty quickly if you can win or not. There's not much room for uncertainty.

I disagree. Survival horror boils down to resource management. You feel safe when you have more than 5 bullets, and unsafe when you don't. Managing your wizard's spells could be that harrowing

bump

Could anyone point to me some good suburban tilesets for XP?

bump

I just type out a bunch of potentially cringeworthy shit in the Notes app on my tablet

>You will never make the next OFF
>You will never make the next Space Funeral
>You will never make the next Steel Zeroes

Anything can be spooky with the right sound and music. Sound design means everything in a game. You can push a player to tears with a sad symphonic hymn, Send people into excitement and joy with an upbeat jig or scare the player with a slow dark beat. The sounds like inaudible whispers, wind and strange creaks, groans and trees waving. People get more scared in cramped and cluttered spaces like bathrooms, closets, hallways. The more open space there is, The calmer a person will be. Open space only works with jumpscares and zombies.

It can actually be scarier with more people, By yourself you can run away but when you have friends there if someone disappears you won't really want to leave your friend behind specially if they're not dead already and have no idea what's going on yet.

It's also not helpful having people anywhere but the room you're in, You could play bloody marry in the bathroom with 10 people outside the door and it's still going to freak you out. Playing in a party but splitting up occasionally is scary enough. It really matters how you use sounds and mechanics like splitting up the group.

I don't know if this question will make any sense, but how do you make a one-off animation that'll take place on the map (i.e. not an in-battle animation).

It seems that most times you see a sprite that's animated on the map it works by switching from a neutral pose to one of the "step" sprites and back and forth again - that is, left then right then left and so on across three sprites on the spritesheet.

That's not what I want to do, though. I want to make an animation that'll take more than three sprites and take place out of battle. How can I do this?

---

On a related note, is it possible to make a sprite in a neutral, still pose change to one of the "step" sprites next to it (and actually pick which of the sprites it changes to)?

First time RM dev. I'm using 2003. What are important things to include in my game?

You can play a battle animation on an event with the same menu that makes event people walk and pause.

If you need such an animation on an empty space, put an event that's invisible.

No no, you're thinking of something else.
Survival Horror is a genre of gameplay, it's how you play the game.

Psychological horror is a literary genre. A subgenre of horror. Scarcity in resource management can be used as a literary device but I don't think it provides the right psychological component. I think players will just see it as a challenge. They won't feel threatened or haunted by it.

I thought about splitting up the party. And maybe even having perma death consequences. Or characters going insane.
But I also don't want to betray RPG conventions in favor of Horror conventions where a group is picked off one by one. Because it's usually the opposite in RPGs, you start off solo and gain party members one by one.

The key to horror is helplessness, while the key to gaming is agency. Generally.

I would argue (based on the above premise) that a good horror game would involve measures of both, with agency punctuated by periods of helplessness or vice versa. Thus I would think that resource management would be a very effective tactic. Monsters are tough, but not necessarily invincible; in other words you are mostly helpless with resources that give you some measure of agency. If the goal is not to win, but rather escape and the resources facilitate that, it might very well be an effective tactic. You can't outright defeat the forces after you, but by expending something are able to hinder them in some way, buying you time and/or distance.

Obviously speaking in technical terms like this it doesn't sound scary, but that's what the framing is for. Dead Space did have one very effective moment of vulnerability, and it came from one of the weakest enemies in the game. From the beginning of the game, the tech benches were safe zones. They were unavailable when enemies were nearby, so if you could use them you were safe. Until one moment where you activated one and a minor necromorph jumped out at you, violating what the game had trained you to believe was a safe space. That's one thing I mean by helplessness: the revelation that the rules you took for granted are not absolute. Not knowing if what you think is safe truly is.

Do you hate front view battle systems? Does a game having one invalidate it as something you'd put any real effort toward playing?

There's plenty of games I like with front view battle systems outside rpg maker. Dragonquest and Etrian Odyssey come to mind. I just want the battle system to be fufilling and fun, regardless of the graphics shown.

This. I also appreciate the front-view battle systems are often-times a lot faster to use, cutting down animation padding and the like.

That's a relief. I'm on year two of working on what'll likely be a 40-50+ hour game using front-view.

I just like being able to see my characters do stuff. It's definitely possible to do that in front view, so I don't have any problem with it inherently. I actually kind of like the way Steel Zeroes does it with several skill descriptions having a picture of the character using the skill.

Why would it?
I actually resent the SV battle option in MV because there's so much to be desired.
The battle backgrounds aren't to scale. The sprites have Z depths but animations don't. The Animation tab doesn't have any options for controlling SV sprites.

...I can't even tell if you answered my question or not.

That's not your fault. It's just that...like, I have no idea what the result of what you just told me to do would look like.