/lzg/ - Lab Zero General (Skullgirls and Indivisible)

Christmas Is Early Edition

>Indivisible News
BACKER PREVIEW SUPER SUPER SOON
twitter.com/IndivisibleRPG/status/926527158108827648

New Kampan animations and gameplay
indivisiblegame.com/2017/11/02/kampan-gameplay-animations/

E3 and Anime Expo stuff:
youtube.com/watch?v=4YokV2F5vNU
youtube.com/watch?v=AHJUN-d9Wjg
youtube.com/watch?v=8AEeY-0DYQE
youtube.com/watch?v=RFdmlmbI9aQ

Pre-orders and some upgrades have been charged! Check your email!
Indivisible backers, if you need to update your mailing info or anything else please do so on BackerKit
labzerogames.com/important-notice-for-all-backers/

>Skullgirls News
Road to NEC17 (US PC online tourney with prize pool) on Nov. 11
twitter.com/SkullgirlsTour/status/926137207236255745

The LRG physical copies have been shipped!
twitter.com/Skullgirls/status/924000794482896896

Double is coming to the mobile game soon
twitter.com/sgmobile/status/925120265310400518

>News Outlets
twitter.com/IndivisibleRPG
twitter.com/skullgirls
twitter.com/sgmobile

>Skullgirls Beginner Stuff
skullheart.com/index.php?threads/beginner-resources-thread.242
>Public Skullgirls (NOT /lzg/'s) Discord
discordapp.com/invite/0WWSQspQVqkHy4In

>Official Forums
skullheart.com
forum.skullgirlsmobile.com

prev thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

resetera.com/threads/skullgirls-shows-the-importance-of-knowing-demographics.4123/
youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9vKQZ3jts
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=65637518
twitter.com/Skullgirls_RM/status/926761026103623682
twitter.com/ssshuckle/status/927302251806449664
pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/interview-the-third-eyes-peter-bartholow,476162
twitter.com/flippy_cf/status/927221480911458304
twitter.com/havick9/status/927377252609699840
zzf111.tumblr.com/post/167183687391/valentine
resetera.com/posts/563521/
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=65775808
youtube.com/watch?v=kpj7Z9D_qYA
gfycat
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw you lived long enough to see the backer preview

when is it

I waaaaaant it!

Either this week or next week. LZ posted their update last Friday so its kind of ambiguous when they said "next week "

They were waiting on Microsoft approval, which they apparently got on Friday. So at this point it should only take as long as however long it takes to obtain and distribute download keys.

Buuut, I wouldn't be surprised if some weird bug in the game or error with the keycodes or something ends up delaying it yet another week. :(

I really hope they don't hold us up so they can finish a trailer or something though. They gotta get this new gameplay out the door ASAP.

Someone predicted this happening last thread, but a post on ResetEra about SG kinda blew up today:
resetera.com/threads/skullgirls-shows-the-importance-of-knowing-demographics.4123/

If you don't want to wade through a lot of the typical "This doesn't appeal to me personally, therefore it's objectively a problem to everyone" type of posts though, here are some genuinely interesting highlights from Ravidrath's posts (you'll have to skim the thread for context).

About Mobile
>While I don't have hard numbers, the Skullgirls audience seems to have a lot more women in it compared to other fighting games. They're mostly playing it for the art, animation and stories.
>At Anime Expo, our audience feels like it's roughly evenly split between men and women.
>And LINE was all prepared to double down on the cheesecake angle for the Japanese mobile release, until they saw how strongly the women were responding to it.

About Filia
>It's entirely possible that Filia wouldn't choose to dress this way now, but she was basically a completely different / likely horrible person before she met Samson and had her memory erased
>Similarly, Filia's chubbiness / clothes fit is a direct result of Samson putting additional calories in her body

After listing the DLC Vote characters
>There are some other characters I know about that I almost put in, so I'm glad I referenced that list instead of accidentally revealing something, haha.
>those are all characters we would like to make playable some day.
>If we ever got to, like, SG5, yeah we would eventually like to get there.

Yep, that's one sexy Marie, I tell you what.
Just have to hang in and stay safe until the full game drops.

shut up pedo

>Replace everyone with Peacock
lmao

That's a messy OP.

how would you fix it?

Anybody else here get their Limited Run copy of Skullgirls?

>christmas
we ain't THAT slow

>muh fight money

youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9vKQZ3jts

not yet you haven't

threads last one week. we average around 100 posts per day. Most posts being bumps.
Beta when?

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=65637518

>Most posts being bumps.
We get more consecutive posts during the day when we have a discussion going.
Like when we were talking about Dekillsage last thread.

Bump posts are usually like 5 posts spanned over the course of a few hours to help us survive the night.

>tfw had something neat to share
>tfw forgot
W-well I can't have been THAT good right

aww, missed this live. anybody know if they reupload on any other sites than nico?

twitter.com/Skullgirls_RM/status/926761026103623682

Not yet, but I'm guessing it'll be here in the next couple days since I got a confirmation last week.

was it something cute and sexy?

I think it's fine. Probably time to ditch the E3 and AX videos though, except for maybe Peter's shacknews interview and posting the AX panel.

We'll probably get some new interviews soon anyway once the Backer Preview drops.

twitter.com/ssshuckle/status/927302251806449664

BELLA HITBOXES

but probably not a good idea to try anti-airing with a cLK either.

Mine came in yesterday, but my family doesn't get take in the mail when I'm out. I'm glad nobody stole it.

don't know if anyone posted this last thread, but there was a newer interview with peter last month about indivisible

pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/interview-the-third-eyes-peter-bartholow,476162

Cute
twitter.com/flippy_cf/status/927221480911458304

twitter.com/havick9/status/927377252609699840

Definitely true, no idea what that guy was going for

yeah I feel like the person's feedback has a lot do with "I'm used to things being this way" and some people getting worked up because SG doesn't neatly fit into one of their predetermined molds.

like he brings up Fleischer era cartoons, and I think the main reason people consider that style "more cohesive" is because in their minds, they're willing to section off that whole artstyle into its own time period, and keep it in the past where it doesn't have to be viewed as contemporary.

on their own, Fleischer cartoons were all over the place. shapely women interacting with tubey limbed horses, talking guns, and dancing skeletons,..Betty Boop is literally a cartoon fetus-face pasted on a grown woman's body. nonetheless, it's a familiar style now, and so Cuphead, in turn, also looked familiar, so people could look past the randomness as a visual deterrent.

SG doesn't do anything nearly as weird as those old cartoons in my honest opinion, but it's newer, drawing from as many new inspirations as old, and so the style is more ripe for criticism. 20 years from now I wouldn't be surprised if it's viewed much differently..

What's the worst character design in Skullgirls?
Preferably playable characters but anything goes

Technically all the characters are well designed, because the designs fit the gameplay and character roles.

but I'm also kind of really tempted to say parasoul, kind of because she's boring compared to the rest of the cast and partially because I feel like she's the only character who's outfit isn't really fitting for her character.

She's a princess who's taken the role of military commander, the short skirt feels silly.
At least with Valentine, she incorporates her sexiness into her general tactics. Cerebella is a performer, who of course would dress like a slut. Fortune needs revealing clothes so she can detach her limbs. Filia is stuck with a school uniform that she's out-growing, etc. Other character's outfits make more sense for who they are/what they're doing.

>Technically all the characters are well designed, because the designs fit the gameplay and character roles.

I'm elaborating. I DO think parasoul's design works fine from a gameplay pov. All her "unarmed" attacks are done with her legs. The short skirt allows visual on her bare legs, plus I guess it would allow greater range of motion for her.

zzf111.tumblr.com/post/167183687391/valentine

>go easy on someone
>he teabags me at the end of the round
>mfw

I'm not a fan of Parasoul's outfit either, but mainly from a practical combat standpoint. I always think of it like she was caught off guard before the fight and was stuck fighting in whatever outfit she was wearing at the time. In most cases, it'd definitely make more sense for her to fight in her military garb.

Alex was obviously going for a femme fatale vibe with her though, and I don't think the black dress is necessarily mismatched with her personality either. Just doesn't match the circumstances she's fighting in. Like you said though, visually it does work fine for gameplay, and I do appreciate the iconic nature of it.

At least she's wearing decent shoes along with it, unlike most of the women in MK9.

Nothing wrong with a little simplicity. Para has to be seen in motion to really be appreciated though, I feel.
>plus I guess it would allow greater range of motion for her.
Eh, not quite. It's specified to be tight as fuark. I get your gripes.

>I don't think the black dress is necessarily mismatched with her personality either.

Yeah, I do definitely feel that if the outfit does fit her personality. The pressed black turtle neck and skirt do have a certain air of formality to them. Appropriate for a tight-ass princess.

...Just not one going to into fisticuffs. Maybe she just wears it for troop morale.

>tight-ass princess
hhehehehe

I checked.

>Para has to be seen in motion to really be appreciated though, I feel.
I get what you mean. Her personality and fighting style definitely comes through a lot in motion.
Strictly in terms of visual though, I personally think Para's design works pretty well in stills next to some of the other chars. Like, her personality seems pretty easy to grasp in promo-art

Designs I think really /need/ to be in motion to help appreciate the design are:
Filia (seems like a more traditional schoolgirl trope until you really see what the hair can do)
Big Band (might not even know what he can do until he's attacking)
Peacock (just to sell the whole aesthetic)
Painwheel to a degree (you can tell she's a freak, but animations portray how much of one)

I also think animation is a big factor in Indivisible designs too, since those characters aren't trying to be as bizarre off the wall archetypes as Skullgirls. So what they do and say during gameplay will be more important for them.

>(you can tell she's a freak, but animations portray how much of one)
that backwards knee bend, man.

I feel you, I agree.
>I also think animation is a big factor in Indivisible designs too, since those characters aren't trying to be as bizarre off the wall archetypes as Skullgirls. So what they do and say during gameplay will be more important for them.
Definitely, there are some weirdos but they aren't quite as out there.
Her animations are pretty wince worthy when you really look at them. Fuck.

More importantly is the animations for Indivisible's monsters. Can't wait to see all of those.

>Her animations are pretty wince worthy when you really look at them. Fuck.
Painwheel's Light Kick and J.LK are also good ones. She sends Gae Bolga from her legs through her shoulders and out to attack for the former.

poor carol

you could have rescued her by now, user.

>decide to stop going easy on someone after they've proved themselves pretty confident
>end up losing anyway

but my true power...

what could I do?

>If you don't want to wade through a lot of the typical "This doesn't appeal to me personally, therefore it's objectively a problem to everyone
I'm worried since Ravidwrath already posts there that he takes this to heart and SG 2 will be more "safe".

Fuck that, I'll boycott their shit forever if it happens

Peter defends their creative stance on SG pretty well in that thread I think, and acknowledges that it's Alex's creative vision at the heart of the franchise.
I'd be more concerned about what Autumn does with the IP that could ruin it, rather than the forum's influence on Peter.

Safest thing they could do is add a couple more dudes

>That one autist who keeps getting assmad about Fillia's design that he feels the need to post his own redesign
>People butting in saying how they don't like the design even though they just judged it from a distance and how they would play it "if it didn't have pervy stuff in it"
This is the first Resetera thread I've seen and already I hate the people there

Yeah honestly, I'm glad Peter telling it like it is and saying "this is what YOU want", especially in a thread full of wannabe theorists on how they want it fully max fleischer style or how it struggled to sell well because it's sexist

Yeah, I'm scrolling through the thread and I'm not finding any real discussion of value/interest.
just kind of flaky opinion posts trying to argue vague talking points.
What exactly is supposed to be the takeaway here?

>That one autist who keeps getting assmad about Fillia's design
For a little clarity, the autist is the OP who claims to be an artist, and the Raging Spaniard guy he keeps talking to is an artist that works with LZ, who is pushing autist to actually put some effort into his redesign and realize how much work this shit takes.

But yeah, otherwise the thread attracted the standard fare armchair devs. I even saw a "Why did they put guys in Skullgirls" post in there somewhere. Lot of fans posting too though, which is good.

>What exactly is supposed to be the takeaway here?
Well user already quoted some of Peter's posts. The stuff about the game's larger than average female audience is pretty interesting.

>Well user already quoted some of Peter's posts. The stuff about the game's larger than average female audience is pretty interesting.
I mean for the people in the thread. Not us.
I mean, to what end is their conversations?

Oh, I dunno. Just game talk I guess.

I hope for the OP, his takeaway will be the realization that his opinion isn't as impeccable as he thought it was.
That now he knows the devs put a deliberate conscious effort behind something he didn't like, and it still managed to sell well and appeal to a lot of people.

"This doesn't appeal to me personally, therefore it's objectively a problem to everyone"

That's it. I used to see this shit in Neogaf so many times it's ridiculous. People are weird when they are keyboard warriors

>That now he knows the devs put a deliberate conscious effort behind something he didn't like, and it still managed to sell well and appeal to a lot of people.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

resetera.com/posts/563521/
>>There are some other characters I know about that I almost put in, so I'm glad I referenced that list instead of accidentally revealing something, haha.
most important post in that thread.
Time to guess what the hell he may have left out.

scribblecat

I find it odd that he didn't list Andy under ASG Labs. He's literally a creation of Peacock's

has noone pointed out that this is a SG post in RESET era

>tfw every SG thread on that website from now on will be invaded by passive aggressive SJWs
Is this our only safe haven for SG talk?

>peter is gay
man, mike and alex must've had one hell of a pitch to get him on board with skullgirls

beowulf

DESU I think not all criticism in that thread is bad

such as?

>mfw peter rigged the 2nd poll results to get his husbando into the game instead of minette or annie
woah

I wish I was a good enough artist to realize that something I'm doing is complete garbage before I put a ton of time into it.

Lmao that dialog
The artstyle being "all over the place" for one
I love it, but still
There's a couple more things but it's kinda late

"Mike, for better or worse, is strongly able to compartmentalize gameplay and art. Like, way more than just about anyone I've ever met. As long as the art is doing some very specific things that he thinks are important to make a good fighting game, the rest doesn't matter to him."

He definitely seems like that kind of guy

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=65775808

does skullgirls/indivisible/lab0 ever make you angry?

weeaboo peacock

Sometimes I get a lil salty when I drop a combo or get hit by a setup when I should know better.
Oh. And this.

yeah it's a problem everywhere, but you'd think gamers would be a little better about this by now with how varied we know our tastes are.

like when you see a game you don't like the genre of or the look of, just go play something else. there's plenty of other games out there.

I was pretty mad at Mike when he did that rant on stream like a year ago where he said we always had more players than Blazblue, literally after a tournament where they had more, and when CEOtaku pre-reg showed they had more. If he had left it at specifically Combo Breaker, which I think he meant to do, he would have been correct, but he felt the need to exaggerate for some reason. Even chat blew up at him about it.

Like I hate it when he gives the haters fuel, and makes it easy for them to disregard everything else he says, which might be otherwise valid points.

Marketing talk disguising a "I don't like this artstyle" post
Dude Raging Spaniard laid him the fuck down.
Mind you, I don't stan Skullgirls, but still
Ah this, too

memory lane

youtube.com/watch?v=kpj7Z9D_qYA

it's been fun watching people optimize their runs of mario odyssey. really makes me appreciate the grind that they do. it's a lot like training for fighting games.

I can't wait to see what tech the speedrunners might figure out with indivisible.

Squigly

gfycat
.com/gifs/detail/FrigidWhimsicalCuscus

gifycat doesnt work right now, whats shown there?

works for me. it's pretty sweet. won't spoil it.

will today be next week?

2 weeks