What happened here?

what happened here?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=DKw8AAAAIAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR8&dq=pre-modern novgorod food&ots=oAnw8H7Ru8&sig=wIrArmFbPqVNbvZSl0IRPbxv5FU#v=onepage&q&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onfim
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fur

snow and ice

reindeer

What was Novgorod's military composition like? it's hard to find information about it online

Fpbp

How did the "republic" work?
The upper classes elected eligible men to lifelong Dictatorship?

PS: 4th Crusade>Northern Crusade>All those other boring crusades

monastaries

lots of spears, lots or archers

Novgorod should've annexed Muscowy when they had the chance

maybe then Russia would be a lot saner place compared to this

that area belongs to finland and finnish peoples

>Finnish peoples
They're called Mongols

1st Crusade is objectively the best Crusade, then the 4th, then the 3rd

Civilization, later destroyed by Muscovites.

2rd crusade:
Freddy to stupid to go swimming
Dick Frechman Who hartes Bonus so gos east
Philipp real Frechman not even worth talking about

British

In the first crusade they fought disorganised, outnumbered Muslims. 3rd they fought the full strengh of saladins united empire and beat them in every battle, crumbling Saladin's alliances

what? Do you mean the 3rd? Barbarossa died in the Third along with Richard the Lionheart facing off against Salad Fingers and Philip doing jack shit.

The Crusaders were just as disorganized though not to mention the Byzantines completely abandoned them the first chance they got and they won every battle against significantly larger and arguably more experienced armies and set up their own kingdom that lasted way longer than anyone expected. It was a miracle.

Onfim

tengri braised

that area was strictly Orthodox wasn't it?

Yeah, Nevsky's been canonised as a saint due to him defending the Orthodox faith

Absolutely fuck all

Local nobles and wealthy merchants would usually invite a foreign prince they deemed right for the job and he would become the prince of the republic.
Unlike the HRE or the modern US dynasties monopolizing the throne didn't happen as much.

>usually invite a foreign prince
This is the part I'm most curious about because the only Prince I know is Nevsky, who was Prince of Kiev previously

Why bring in foreign nobles?
Was it to stop any one group gaining too much power?
Stop corruption or kleptocracy?
Did they simply not have large enough of a ruling class?

foreign nobles wouldn't have local power bases and be easier to control

>That pic.
Holy shit I am laffin.

Moscow wasn't a thing until the Mongols built it.

Primitive hunter-gatherers

Best boy.

Didn't they tried to convert to Catholicism, which invoked Muscovy's wrath?

I wonder how Russia would have turned out if Novgorod managed to prevail over Muscovy, or at least maintain some sort of independence. Ideas like democracy and liberty wouldn't be so foreign to Russia, at least.

>look up Muskovy because I don't know a thing about it
>First Grand Duke's name is Daniel
>"This can't be right, let me see the cyrillic."
>literally Daniel
>Is his father English or something
>Alexandr Nevskiy
what the fuck? Is Daniel a Russian name?

it's one of the hundreds of hebrew names that spread via christianity

It's a Christian Hebrew name. He was literally called Daniil in Russian, it's just that names of past historical figures are translated into modern English for ease of use.
See Cristoforo Colombo => Christopher Columbus.

Uralic """"""""people""

Human """"""""""people""""""""""

What did they eat? Could they actually grow crops despite the fact that most of the land is above 60 degrees latitude?

Crops with short growing seasons. IIRC turnips, beets, radishes, and cabbage were staples.

books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=DKw8AAAAIAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR8&dq=pre-modern novgorod food&ots=oAnw8H7Ru8&sig=wIrArmFbPqVNbvZSl0IRPbxv5FU#v=onepage&q&f=false

are these the schoolkid drawings of him and his instructor?

Him and his dad, iirc.

onfim
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onfim

The one on the right is NIGHTMARE KNIGHT

Some of the bloodiest battles of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

Moscov attack Novogrod and Poland don't go help Novogrod :(

Daniel is a Hebrew name. It became common in Europe because of Christianity. I'm honestly baffled as to how people still don't know this.

One of the most deciding battles in the Finno-Korean Hyperwar diminished the areas population for millinia.