What was the Trojan War really like?

What was the Trojan War really like?

Ask your mom

She said ask Veeky Forums

nobody knows so little was written about Troy

for a hundred years we thought Troy was a myth

Doesn't archaeological evidence give any insight? For example, they believe that the language spoken in Troy was Luwian, not some kind of Greek.

something to do with the bronze age collapse

All we know is they took their hearth gods to Italy and founded the Roman people and a bunch of cities

>believing Roman propaganda

Aeneas was boring as fuck, desu.

It's at least partially true. Why else would the Roman and Greek pantheons be so similar?

The first two chapters were good, then it got bogged down in all this world building. chapter six was good too.

>propaganda.

Next your gong to claim Aeneas was NOT a manifestation of Jupiter

Well at first Romans had their gods and Greeks had their own. What we think of as Romans "copying" Greek gods is them actually looking at Greek gods and saying, "hmm this sounds like it applies to X god." They did take some gods straight up, though. May also be the influence of Greeks in Campania.

It was like a fan fiction. Aeneas being the embodiment of Roman values, turns out that makes for an extremely boring one dimensional character.

Some random problems I had with the book:

>Oh look my wife died, no matter, fate has plans for me elsewhere lol.
>I have this son, but he never says anything in the entire book
>Battles are a slog
>Aeneas' rival doesn't have godmode activated
>What in the fuck is this ending

We're not quite sure. Guesses can be made about the arms and armor of potential fighters, and the population of the city, but we know jack shit about what the REAL Trojan War was like. It's not even clear there was one Trojan War from which Homer drew inspiration.

Individual heroism may very well have been more in vogue back then, before the hoplite phalanx

The only thing known about the tactics of the actual people who took Troy was that they had both a land and a sea army and they would catch cities unawares from both fronts

It probably happened and iirc there was evidence of a great fire along with the battle. That's about it.

The people who destroyed Troy were known for having very thorough destruction methods. Archaeologists literally couldn't find Hattusa (Hittite capital and one of the major power centers of the age) for decades because of how much they fucked it up.

Troy was a fortified settlement with 2000 people in it, Not a metropolis by any means, it was presumably destroyed by Myceneans since the Hittities often mentioned the Ahhywana, often identified as Acheans by archaeologists, trying to seize control of Wilusa (Ilios/Troy), that, and the fact that late Mycenean pottery was found in the layer of destruction, a pattern disturbingly very common during that exact same time in the rest of the settlements destroyed in Anatolia and the Levant and which is documented in Egyptian and Ugaritic texts which mention sea invaders among whom Acheans and Danaoi wrecking havoc in Arzawa, Hatti, Cyprus and Syria

Wonder what size the Achaean army was...

Wait so the Acheans destroyed the Hittites?

IDK maybe it has to do with the fact that the Greeks had colonies on the Italian peninsula for centuries before the wops even started to expand past their hills?

>Well at first Romans had their gods
Etruscan gods*

Sweaty for starters

Troyans were not Hittities but a vassal town of theirs

Thucydides my dudes, he has commentary on it

Quick reminder that the odyssey is better than the aeneid and any faggot who calls Odyessus Ulysses is a pleb.

>odyssey is better than the aeneid

No shit, does ANYONE dispute this?? Aeneid reads like a poor fanfic in comparison.