How do you store your eth?

How do you store your eth?

I use your mom.

i only have 15 right now so i just leave it in coinbase... i know thats an awful idea but its not even $1000 so not a huge deal

In my wallet.

spooky man

what wallet

spooky is right, I'm about to transfer it to a wallet

OP's mom is my wallet too.
You must be Daniel.

I use mist

I'm using Exodus wallet.
Sadly its not open source would feel much more comfortable if it was.

Bought a ledger nano s, it was €80 but on a €40k investment it isn't that much

Is it possible to crack up an ethereum wallet by just knowing it's public address and cracking it's password?

or do you need the json files / private key aswell?

No, passwords in wallets are to encrypt the wallet data locally.
Meaning there is no password to crack without whatever data the wallet additionally uses to store private keys.

i keep them moldering in the Gemini exchange like the shit eating good goy that i am

okay, so a hacker basically needs the json file that has the private key, or the private key itself to crack an ethereum wallet

how do i protect myself against this?

other than keeping my pc clean of keylogs and stuff

Hardware wallets or other cold storage options

my ethereumwallet.exe file and every other file attached to it, is encrypted with a 30 letter long password, and is backed up on multiple offline devices (usb, ext. harddrives and an offline computer)

i also have multiple json file backups on the several devices too, also encrypted.

the wallet itself also has a 24 long password

is this considered cold storage, since it's on offline hardware?

is this good enough?

I also barely ever have the wallet itself open, just when i need to sync it to receive the ether i bought, so it pretty much always stays in it's encrypted file

I have a pair of USB drives. One stored at my house, one in a safe deposit box at my bank of choice.

They are encrypted flash drives with the encrypted JSON files for my handful of wallets. I have memorized the 20+character passwords for all of my wallets, so barring some sort of catastrophic injury (at which point I wouldn't be able to access the funds anyway), it is extremely unlikely anyone will be able to steal my eth.

I use myetherwallet whenever I need to access my funds (which is exceedingly rarely; a lot of my cryptocurrency is tied up in various crowdfunds, so I don't have much actual ETH in my accounts).

Coinbase is semi "insured"...almost like a bank. If they fuck up you're actually not completely SOL. If you fuck up and someone accesses your account and transfer it out...well that's a different story.

Nanoledger for sure my favorite.

Its its goddammit it's not complicated its not it's ffs reee

USB