/cwg/ Classic WoW General

>What is this?
Blizzard announced legacy servers, as we wanted them, at Blizzcon 2017.

>Where can I learn more?
There's not much info out right now, other than development has started - and that it'll stay true to the original experience.

Plausible Tom Chilton conspiracy below:
>After working on World of Warcraft from its alpha in 2004 to the release of Legion, in late 2016 Chilton announced that he would be leaving the team to "[focus] on another project within the company".
note: Blizzard said only one person was working on this until announcement so don't expect quick release

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/
eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions
strawpoll.me/14351696
streamable.com/mquub
streamable.com/ybhrl
streamable.com/hvzj4
streamable.com/iknlu
streamable.com/dln2u
streamable.com/0u8g7
streamable.com/op4eg
youtube.com/watch?v=kzPUo-tiM8g
strawpoll.me/14351696/
hooktube.com/watch?v=bVKkHqoktoY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for retail wow

WoW has a HUGE audience across the decades. They're pulling in from a huge pool of players who either want to experience vanilla for the first time, people who want to feel nostalgic, people who want to play the MMO seriously again but hate retail, the tiny amount of people who've played on private servers but something with security and longevity, etc.
They have a total of 100 million accounts created.
There are very few MMOs in competition with WoW, and they don't have anywhere near those numbers.

>Not bloodfury for PvP @ 60

its like you dont enjoy 3.5 k execute crits

Travel Back in Time to a World of Warcraft before the Mists of Pandaria parted, and before Deathwing broke the world. When Blackrock Mountain, the Temple of Ahn’Qiraj, and the floating citadel of Naxxramas were the most difficult challenges in Azeroth.

The World of Warcraft team is working on bringing that world back to our players with Classic WoW, and we need engineers to help us bring the past into the present.

Responsibilities include building gameplay systems, transforming database data, building UI elements, repackaging binary distributions, and working closely with designers to revive the classic game elements.

The ideal candidate has a passion for World of Warcraft, is unafraid of stepping into unfamiliar systems, has a strong understanding of C++, and previous experience with Oracle, Lua, or both.

Requirements

Fluent in C / C++
Fluent with World of Warcraft game content and systems
A minimum 5 years of programming experience
Strong data structures, logic, distributed systems and algorithm skills
Self-motivation and willingness to participate in many areas of game development
Excellent verbal and written communications skills

Plusses

Experience with at least one shipped title, preferably an MMORPG
Database development experience (MySQL, Oracle)
Fluent in high-level scripting languages such as Lua, or Python
Experience with developing UI modifications for World of Warcraft
Networking experience in TCP and UDP protocols
Experience with different platforms, such as Windows, Mac, Linux
Degree in computer science or related field

Required Application Materials

Resume
Cover Letter which should include:
Your experience with World of Warcraft
Why you’re interested in Classic WoW

Undead PvP
Orc PvE

Orc because over 50% of all raids will be undead

Is going human as a warrior really that important for pve? I'd much rather play dwarf.

>most people think classic will come out some time in the middle of 2019
I can't fucking wait that long holy shit

lol nu-wow fags are so defensive about classic

makes you wonder what there worried about

Why will the development take 2 years when they can just copy the nostalrius source code and do some minor fixes?

should be in OP I think
pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/
eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions

i have hard time imaging the average adhd kid who stares iphone 5 hours a day to actually manage playing vanilla. but i agree vanilla probably has some pull in it due to it's name and reputation.

capitalism sucks
they'll avoid hemorrhaging the launch of BfA and release it sometime after

>undead for warrior pvp
nah. you don't need will of the forsaken as a warrior, nobody pvps as a warlock alliance side anyway because 90% of horde pvpers are undead rogues

remove senna

nostalrius was shit

>one month later
>well we got those kinks out and its ready

good thing BoA looks like straight dogshit so maybe they will release it earlier than they thought themselves

QoL changes poll

strawpoll.me/14351696

He said "warlock"

I doubt tokens will come, especially considering they'll likely combine the subscription with retail. If they sell tokens, then people will essentially be able to trade currency from retail to vanilla.

December 14th 2019 will be the release date
screencap this

i wonder if i'll even care about vanilla if star citizen and camelot unchained come out before

nochangecucks are a minority, based poll

oh

>nostalrius was shit
Its literally the same as it was in vanilla you fucking moron

not even close to true

BoA really is the end of the road for retail WoW.

all that crazy shit they wanted to get into, they got into, i rmember when the classic servers first went live and all that talk about future expansins was going around.

TL:DR
they made an expansion for every thing they ever talked about, BoA is the bottom of the bucket

>nostbabbys actually unironically believe this
AHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

>copying a flawed reverse engineered copy of your own server code
And don't regurgitate that retarded nonsense idea that blizzard doesn't have the source code for the old versions backed up. Backup space and archive discs are cheap enough to be free, and no company would neglect to keep a record of every revision of their code for the purposes of forensics if two changes from different patches combine to break something.

they asked for their old servers back so they could recover it

>every fresh 50-60lvl got a huge economic headstart because of broken loot tables first 2 weeks
the good thing about nost was the population and people blindly defend it just because of that

basic things like mobs following you when you los them didn't even work. Mobs going through floors and walls. A complete mess
lmao nostbabbys are so fucking retarded

Classic beta signup is real

where

Alex @Alexensual 1h
You can block me, hate me, whatever, but I'm not going anywhere so you better get used to me :^)

Give me irrefutable proof of whether or not classic WoW will cost money to play.

>sodapoppin raiding with

there is none

>poorfags

I hope someone saved his sperging and mouthbreathing with asmundgold

>nowhere in that post does it point towards wanting the game to cost money nor towards wanting the game to be free
Autismfags.

who cares about him. he's not a lolcow like our boy alex

fuck is the stream

Can I get a quick rundown?

ctrl+f alex i guess

>Classic WoW will be heavily moderated by Blizzard.
>No pusy posting in trade
>shitty community full of underages that don't even know how to change a realmlist.wtf
>no openly saying nigger in barrens chat

You honestly think you're gonna get the same experience as Nostalrius? Why do we want this shit again?

I wonder how asmongold feels being confronted with the reality that people who play illegal servers are literally brain dead, after all he went through to try and defend the Legacy movement because he wants to play Vanilla.

didn't mean to link to that post, just the old thread.

Great. Hopefully they ban all the 12 year olds. Should make dungeon runs a lot smoother.

uhhh hi guys its uhhh alex uhhh i play vanilla uhh when i uhh was a baby uhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

streamable.com/mquub
streamable.com/ybhrl
streamable.com/hvzj4
streamable.com/iknlu
streamable.com/dln2u
streamable.com/0u8g7
streamable.com/op4eg

Uh, are you actually saying the community is worse on an official server?

It will cost money

Proof: I'm not retarded

this is the most cringe post i've read all day, and of course it has a pee pee poo poo frog attached

youtube.com/watch?v=kzPUo-tiM8g

ty

>cringe
>eceleb shit
>frog private server
This is the audience for WoW classic. The modern audience.

i only use cringe ironically :)

Stop rolling need on my gear

'member Global Channel?
Oh I member reporting 50 people in 30 minutes

why do people say wotf makes warlock pvp impossible

do they not realize warlocks have more than one spell

This is what people see as the current face of legacy. A literal mongoloid who slams his desk and cannot control his emotions. The whole talking with Asmongold was a disaster. Asmongold was articulate and well spoken. Alex sat there with a stupid grin on his face and barely whispered into the microphone using fragmented sentences that were barely coherent.

>wiping in the first pull of ub

So thrilled to be playing some pristine servers lads.

To modern cancer a slight advantage = broken. A slight disadvantage = broken.

>I played Vanilla before it was cool

>Blizzard said only one person was working on this until announcement
Where did they say this?

it just makes it frustrating in bgs when enemy team is 8 undeads and fearing them does absolutely nothing unless you spend all your time on it. 1v1 against good rogues you don't even want to fear. you can absolutely wreck shit even as alliance warlock if you're tanky enough and just let your dots do the work.

strawpoll.me/14351696/

This. I fully expect Blizzard to force players to own the very latest version of wow (current expansion included) to be able to log into classic w/ standard monthly sub cost to play either version.
If this surprises people, they are not thinking clearly on blizz marketing.

Ya referring to someone that opens every video ever that he made literally (not the meme) with "Sup yall it's your boi Asmongold !". as "well spoken". Ya....

pre battlegrounds/honor patch wow is best wow

QOL fags out REEEEE

It'll be F2P, with a full suite of MTX:
bank slots after 3
character slots after 3
tmog
barber
Permanent TMOG sets (Like a Judgement knock-off) that just go in or out of "Appearance" tab
Visual Weapon Effects like mongoose

A $15 sub to get a golden border around your name, and an amount of mtx currency

user that's for the regular wow ptr

barbershop!!!!!!!!!!

I've played horde all my life but I want nothing more right now than to experience the archetypal European-folklore-based RPG alliance of noble fantasy races.

will playing alliance give me that virtuous lord of the rings-esque feel? is the playerbase for alliance really different? it's dawned on me that the horde is extremely niggerish and has basically no high culture, art, or aesthetics.

But people already say it in retail?

Yeah his catch phrase is pretty dumb but its good marketing. Whenever the clips come out from the talk you'll notice the massive difference between the two. Alex is a brainlet and makes Asmongold look like a fucking genius.

Try actually listening past that part, retard.

fact: alliance cities are better
fact: alliance zones are comfier and cooler
fact: hordes are bunch of niggers minus taurens
question: why the fuck havent you played alliance in vanilla off all places?

nigger love

Oh shit that's devilish. That's Perfect World class devilish.

>shitty community full of underages
there's a lot of potential to be real shitbag here son

someone needs to modify this to have the beard/cigar from alexensuals logo

>alliance zones are comfier and cooler

Barrens >> Westfall
That's something only a faggot would dispute.

I agree about the cities though

alliance has hotter females too

The playerbase is a bunch of disgusting tryhard losers who all roll female human, when possible for their class. 50% of them are trannys as well

What did I just watch?

>A literal mongoloid who slams his desk and cannot control his emotions.

I like Asmongold but that statement applies just as much to him, the difference is Zack does it for views

The king of private server brainlet kiddies

westfall, loch modan, darkshore, redridge > barrens

You'll encounter the same cancer on alliance, it doesn't matter. Horde has comfy as fuck zones between level 10-30, everything is around barrens. Going alliance as you traveling all over the world back and forth like a retard

Ya let me listen to someone that is clearly appealing to a younger more darker audience.

What does he have to do with Asmongold?

Then shut up, weebretard

the person who wants to lead the wow classic community. here, enjoy his house tour:

hooktube.com/watch?v=bVKkHqoktoY

Path of Exile does all that, and they have a good reputation, purely because of managing expectations and Good PR

Ironforge is a kickass city, but Thunder Bluff beats it out with the forge, auction houses, mailbox and bank all right within walking distance of each other. There's no denying this.
Alliances does have better zones to level from 1-30, I will give you this one hands down. Horde get the full meal deal on quests though from 40 to 54. Allies would give their left nut for the Badlands / Dustwallow / Swamp of Sorrows / Feralas / Hinterlands shuffle, and don't forget the free level from 52-53 from a 3 hour visit to Azshara.
Horde being dindus excluding Tauren I can't argue you on. That one is correct.

Fucking Night Elves and Tauren should team up and make all of Kalimdor a tree hugger safe space. Shoving all the orcs, trolls, quillboar and kolkar out of the place is beyond their means though.