/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Previous thread (Cross-thread)

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40 (embed)
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Tranny dwarves!

We love Meph

First for fucking fake faggotry?

Fourth, fuck.

great start faggots

Good quote from Comrade Toady, but I prefer the one about abolishing the nuclear family and dwarven abortions.

Next arc after Artifacts and before Myths will be Transgenderism and the game will be destroyed.

I hope you're ready for shitposting every day until artifacts are out.

I genuinely like them. Not because I care about his beliefs, but because it pisses off the /pol/ contingent here.

>giving an extra variable to souls is an entire arc now
okay user

I thought this one was supposed to have an anime OP.
Not that there's anything wrong with the Toady One Truth Pictures. They're fine too.

What about combining the two for transgender magic systems? Then it'll be /d/ material.

Also, is there no direct entity token for determining how frequent a civilization is? Would I just have to limit it in more roundabout ways, such as making them more exclusive in what biomes they'll start in/settle?

You'll be humming a different tune when 60% of your gameplay time is spend proving the innocence of the single cishet male in your fortress who was falsely accused of raping Urith the Semifluid Abnoqueer Dwarvine.

They're obviously fake, nobody is pissed off lel

Why would I bother with that when I can just, you know, ignore it like always or pour lava onto everyone involved?

Yeah. I hope transsexual content is added and a new chunk of the fortress population is not only gay but made up of gender neutral soul swapped transcows. It's easy as shit to mod out, but this will get the /pol/tards pissed!

Enjoy the new re-introduced Trantrum spirals when you do.

You're saying it like it's something ridiculous, but as far as gameplay goes, gender neutral dwarves are at worst the same as gay dwarves, and transcows would be a step back from the werebeasts that we already have.

I want no tranny shit, just a variable for female creatures to be futas.

>What about combining the two for transgender magic systems? Then it'll be /d/ material.
Not gonna lie, don't really care about transhit being in the game, but the prospect of /d/-tier shit being present makes me extremely excited for the myth update

>You're saying it like it's something ridiculous
Yeah, because sexually confused polygendered furries is what was sorely missing from this medieval fantasy simulator.
I don't get why people get so excited about their sexual fetishes getting a vague nod from Toady. If he really wanted to he could code some actual sexual activities in the game, but he'll probably never even do that.

>Yeah, because sexually confused polygendered furries is what was sorely missing from this medieval fantasy simulator.
The only reason we don't have them is because polygenderism doesn't exist in game yet. Everything else is there.

hey guys i was thinking what if?
ALL CREATURES HAD GENITALS x----D

wow one variable that effects only the bio sheets of a handful of fortress dwarves sounds like it's gonna fuck up your experience with the game.

if you're gonna get triggered so hard might I suggest playing something else, where trivial information won't anger you as much.

Post forts

Male kind of have those, currently. If you hit the lower body of a male humanoid enemy, there is a chance that it will a "gelding blow".

>medieval fantasy simulator.
There's been recorded evidence of transvestites and gays existing well into the medieval era, and they couldn't explain that shit with "should being the wrong gender" either.

Plus if what toady said is true, you can literally CURE it by bodyswapping trans dwarves if you want.

>Everything else is there.
Literally sex isn't in there. As in genitals and sexual activities. A lot of basic sexual interaction/contextualization missing from vanilla.
What's with the obsession with triggered and the "reverse sjw" from you trannyfags? No one's agry about anything, just comenting on weird potential features/development on an even weirder, niche game.

>When something nice finally happens

>There's been recorded evidence of transvestites and gays existing well into the medieval era
There's been plenty of recordings about plenty of shit. What's strange is that we'll probably end up getting transsexual bodyswapping while something as basic and immemorial as prostitution probably will be ignored.

Luuuuuuckkyyyyyyyy

>Literally sex isn't in there. As in genitals and sexual activities. A lot of basic sexual interaction/contextualization missing from vanilla.
Except procreation is there, and not all dwarves procreate, so the sexual confusion is there.

Poe's law or something similar.

Yeah dude gays and transvestites existed historically therefore transgenderism isn't a purely modern affectation and therefore should be wholly embraced without a second thought and forced into every single piece of media to signal to others that there is zero chance that you as a creator do not approve of the transgendered lifestyle.

>it's not platinum

In today's culture do you really think he could even think about adding prostitution without getting a fuckload of flak?

I mean look how much flak he's getting for saying "I might add trans dwarves once I'm done with myth and magic", and this is a niche community that actively dislikes that. Think of how many shitters on bay12 would be up in arms because prostitutes are in game, and that's a community Toady actually does care about feedback from.

I remember one time I wanted a featherwood bow artifact for my adventurer. Just to see how viable it is to make a fortress around that goal. So I made a fort with only bowyers and only featherwood. It worked on the first try. I wonder how viable it would be with weapons. Probably go through dozens of platinum daggers before I'd get a platinum hammer, or dozens of adamantine maces before I'd get an adamantine axe.

>In today's culture do you really think he could even think about adding prostitution without getting a fuckload of flak?
Yes? D&D base games from the mid 2000's had it. I'm pretty sure recent triple A RPGs like one of the Bethesda Fallout's had it. Do you really think a game where you could bash toddlers' heads on rocks would be hurt by the mention of prostitution, especially when it wouldn't even be implemented in a way that would make it focused on women selling their bodies? Don't lie to yourself.

what is the name of this comic? I can't find the name anywhere.

LCS has prostitution. For quite a while, it had child prostitution, but I think that was patched out.

whomp

>Caring about modernism and historical inaccuracies in a FANTASY world simulator
>Have to hate everything because muh political agenda doesn't support a specific lifestyle
I don't even disagree with the fact that it's permeating everything in a bad way, but I genuinely do not understand why someone would care so much about a single variable that effects a page no one reads in a niche game with a niche playerbase, this seems like such a non-issue, especially considering he said he'll CONSIDER adding it after the myth update which is years out from now.

>he doesn't recognize Nedroid

>I understand that it's permeating everything in a bad way but I can't see why anyone would draw a line in the sand
uhhhhhhhh

That's why all discussion about this is focused on this niche thead on a niche subforum that's far away from official discussion and it will not interfere with anything. The day this starts being discussed on bay12 forums and Toady has an aneurysm after having to nuke 50 threads a day for five weeks straight maybe you'll have a point.

>it wouldn't even be implemented in a way that would make it focused on women selling their bodies
I hadn't really considered that, you have a really good point.

Ah yes, a niche indie game that gets practically 0 press attention being developed by a developer that seems to think it's not a high priority nor is it a necessity.

What a great game to send a message with.

If that's the case and you care so much, just start bringing it up there. Veeky Forums is already an echo chamber of "transexuality is a mental disorder", preventing it from being added would take discussing it in a place toady actually checks sometimes.

Why should it be tolerated anywhere ever? Ceding small victories over and over and over again is how we got to this position and you seem to be assuming that people planting a flag here aren't doing it anywhere else. I don't give a shit if you think the message is somehow wasted when applied to DF, I'm done silently tolerating this shit and I'm going to speak up in every case.

Oh of course, discussing it here will do wonders. Toady just emailed me in fact and said he changed his mind, keep fighting the good fight my dude, you really are the last freedom fighter.

>Speaking up
Speaking against trannies on Veeky Forums is preaching to the choir, you want actual action go somewhere else and do it.

>Veeky Forums is already an echo chamber of "transexuality is a mental disorder"
No it isn't. It's one of the few gaming boards where a discussion is possible. No one gets banned for either opinion. Just because a few posters yell about it you think everyone shares the same view on everything? In any other reasonably big forum you'd get banned for questioning this shit, unless it's a weird religious conservative board somwhere that's an actual echochamber as you've described and the opposite happens.
>reventing it from being added would take discussing it in a place toady actually checks sometimes.
I doubt he knows this exists. He doesn't even check SA, where Boatmurdered came from, but at least he was vaguely aware of it at the time.

No problem, glad we're in agreement. If you feel the need to discuss it further then bring the subject up again and I'll be sure to share my opinion.

>Them trannies is tryin' to terk are country!
Not to overqualify your political adversary, but he's probably going by the gramscian theory of cultural domination.

Yeah not like they're trying to "transition" literal toddlers or anything.

>58 posts
>16 IPs
Either there's like three people arguing like idiots or it's one guy trying to troll by samefagging arguments with himself.
Let's just not argue and say we did.

>arrive at fort in adventure mode
>goblin is on the scene and getting dogpiled by the dwarves
Interesting. I wonder if he's a hostile soldier or just a mercenary in a drunken fight.

>when you have no argument but to characterize your opponent as a slurring backwoods moron
I got off the "just let the trannies fuck their own lives up it's none of your business" train when they started giving hormone blockers to confused teenagers and encouraging them to permanently mutilate their bodies under the guise of "acceptance". You people sicken me to the core.

That is some art of the ancient Drewid.

What I don't get is why somebody cares so much about the fact that anyone on /dfg/ cares at all about lgbtwtfbbq being in DF that he/she/it has to argue so much about how nobody should care.

I'd rather just talk about Dwarf Fortress itself here in Dwarf Fortress General, instead of whether or not anybody should or should not care about what is or isn't in DF.

Well if you assume that everyone has the same opinion despite seeing them arguing with each other, then it's not surprising there's a lot you don't get.

So, excuse my samefagging, but let's play a quick game of "Guess The Artifact". Pic related.

I don't assume anyone has the same opinion, but I do think that everyone should be ok with people having opinions at all instead of constantly telling them that there's something wrong with them for caring one way or the other. I'd rather not discuss this any further as I find the whole subject depressing, but I'm not going to tell you that you have to stop.

Now some scholar with dsl's randomly fell in the water and drowned.
Bulky llama wool thong. On the item is an image of jumping spiders and Minkot Agakrul in bronze. Minkot is cowering.

>What I don't get
What I don't get is why would you think anyone would care about what you get. or not.

Also, if you want more focused, on topic quality discussion get that lazy faggot nigger frog to release the new version already Jesus fucking Christ

>LCS
??

What in the fuck! Now a forgotten beast (the "v") just popped out of nowhere, aboveground with no nearby entrance to the caverns, and started attacking people.

I don't want to start a fort because I'm afraid once it really gets going the update will release. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

>a single variable that effects a page no one reads
You're essentially making the argument that the current state of the game regarding how a creatures' identity affects its interaction with the world is going to remain constant. But it's a story generator that's gradually weaving the small details into the bigger picture, and doing so more with each update. Pretending that permanent mechanical changes to the game will never be relevant because of what it lacks mechanically today is dishonest, or at the very best naive. Stories driven by the identities and personalities of the histfigs at their center will come to dominate the worlds we create and play in, indeed that's a large part of DF's purpose. Whatever your opinion on the subject, you can't dismiss peoples' concerns about it just because the game doesn't do much with thise details yet.

Despite the thing being made of tanzanite, one of the civilians managed to take it down. I tried to help out but all I did was accidentally hit one of the dwarves with a silver bolt. Good work lads.

How the fuck do you read this font?

Gender barely does anything right now, why would it suddenly start?

>values some random cow over people
>frail
We've got a vegetarian dwarf on our hands

After doing some detective work, I've found that the goblin was a bandit from the group The Lined Dents. Interesting.
With my eyes primarily.

The kind of histfigs that shape creationb are arguably dieties, which can be whatever gender and it won't matter, and on top of that Toady's post on the subject said there would be magic implemented to handle explaining why trans people exist at all. So in a sense, if the worldgen has trans people in it it at least comes up with an explanation on why, instead of making you assume they exist because they should. He also made it sound like it would effect minority groups of a population, meaning a small percentage will be that way anyways.

This is all just conjuecture at this point anyway, and he hasn't even solidly stated that they're being added in any sense, only that he would evaluate the proposition after the myth update which is far in the future.

You know what you must do now.

Maybe the hydra is eating cows and making all the people starve because they have no meat?

>Not forbidding the silver and making him take a platinum bar
What a waste, still awesome though.
Remember you can control what type of bar they grab for a mood by forbidding stuff or with burrows. You can even do a planepacked style mega artifact by forbidding everything until there are a few hundred items in the workshop, then unforbidding them all at once.

Or something as basic and normal as sewerage and lighting. I wanna have to press rock nuts into oil or use tallow for lanterns

I wish he wasn't so averse to including sewage. I mean, the game has sewers (which I have managed to never ever fucking find in my entire time playing after than update), and you could simply avoid most of the immediate "haha peepeepoopoo" shit by calling it as a general, nebulous "sewage" material.

Maybe it's like D&D and dwarves have darkvision.

It'd be very viable. Make every Dwarf possible get weaponsmith as their highest skill, lvl 3 or 4 would be enough.

Also if you save after they've started construction, you can save scum of you don't get the type of weapon you want. They weapon you get is decided upon completion iirc

Fuck you make me wanna make a platinum Warhammer fortress now.

Kill the green-skinned criminal scum known as The Lined Dents? I would, but none of the locals would tell me their whereabouts. My adventurer will have to consult the mystical, encyclopedic tome known as Legends Viewer to find them.

Well that wasn't as hard as I expected. Although having a legendary axedwarf armed with adamantine probably helped.

It's literally just one guy. He did this when gay dwarves were first added in 0.40 as well. Just stop responding to the obvious bait. It's hard for dfg not to though, you can derail this general probably the easiest if they ones on Veeky Forums. Just mention gay Dwarves, rimworld, Meph or tilesets and it devolves into 50 shitposts.

I miss old dfg with no shitposting, update couldn't come sooner.

Exactly. Heaps of games had it, hell even the Sims has pee, poop and sex but Toady doesn't want DF to be " that game with the piss and shit".

That's the work around lore at the moment but imagine
>Miners are down a long tunnel
>Lantern flickers and goes out
>Growling in the darkness
>Fog of war hides what happened until you send a squad with lanterns down to check it out

Well you just know that if sewage was simulated you'd get people using it in countless ridiculous ways, drowning people in shit, piss mist generators, sewage pressure machinery, and poop megaconstructions. That's not really comparable to sims going to the toilet.

lol more like rimjobworld

And how is this worse than people being able to keep dwarven babies in danger rooms with packs of aggressive dogs?
Haha got eem.

And?

Haha what if when dwarves saw sunlight they shitted their pants instead of vomiting hahah

It's disgusting and he doesn't want it in his game.

fuckin roasted

If he's against adding features to his simulation that can be used in disgusting ways then he needs to redo adventure mode 'cause I'm certain that the way I sadistically hack people to pieces and then lick said pieces would disgust him as well.

Apparently you're wrong.

Rimjobworld is the sex rape fetish poop sex slave mod isn't it? Is it worth downloading?