freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/xkcdgamejam
squaredev.tumblr.com/post/167269981437/another-not-very-substantial-progress-post-but
streamable.com/kotck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

PHP is the best gamedev engine.

Why do we hate gogem?

GODOT MEME ENGINE

Nobody here actually dislikes him, even if they like to bully him. He gives helpful advice.

Stop caring aboit stuff

gogem best dev

>Nobody here actually dislikes him
I do

I dislike him

at stalking people better than him

Whats a good engine, oh wise one?

>memes are bad

itch.io/jam/xkcdgamejam
You guys ready?

is november the ultimate jam month
game off + unreal + xkcd
who's going to make one game to participate in them all

Coming up with a setting is hard

+ mecha jam
I'm already making a mecha game. But if any others have a good theme I'll try to make something for them too.

pick one of those engines:
unity, unreal, godot or GM
or this framework:
Love2d.

now go make a game.

Name several good games completed with Love2d.

>no monogame
It's impressive how this solid as fuck framework manages to stay under the radar.

it's a remake of an old abandoned framework

isnt there a mecha jam every other month?

>monogame
Isn't this the now dead xbox life framework?

You're thinking of Demo Day.

Progress
Well not really, I'm basically reposting what I made yesterday but now with webm.
squaredev.tumblr.com/post/167269981437/another-not-very-substantial-progress-post-but

scrub

No wonder your mecha are cute, you're the dev that always makes cute things!

God this looks like shit

Thanks. To be honest, I'm trying to separate myself from that image (don't get me wrong, I love cute things but I don't want to be known only as "the guy who makes cute stuff"), but I can't seem to do it. I keep going back to my 'usual' style.

Thanks.

Having a total brainlet moment. This code is calculating the position that my backgrounds should take based on the x position of the camera in worldspace. Speed is a value between 0-1, where 0 means that the background doesn't move and 1 means that the background should have parallel speed to the player. On the right is what is played on my computer, the left is a bug that several people gets.

public void Move(_2DCamera cam)
{
bgPos1.X = ((-speed)* (cam.GetWorldPosition()).X));

bgPos1.X = bgPos1.X % (tex.Width);

if (bgPos1.X < 0)
bgPos2.X = bgPos1.X + tex.Width;
else if (bgPos1.X >= 0)
bgPos2.X = bgPos1.X - tex.Width;

}

This is a simple equation, shouldn't it equal the same no matter computer specs?

Why do people even post progress on agdg anymore? Do you really want to hear what dickheads have to say?

This guy shows up at your generator. What do you do?

i have never posted progress once and i've posted in these threads since before Veeky Forums was made

i don't think the error is in the code you posted. might be something to do with the shader code

he is a loudmouthed autist that bullies other devs and makes shitty games.

is bokube the best dev in this agdg? surely so

he's a nodev who hasn't made any progress in a decade

>going back to gamemaker after trying out godot to finish the game
pls onegai kill myself

It's starting to look like he is.

well you must have a game to post progress so I can understand why this would happen

reminder that good art = success

another example of good art with decent style==money,cant wait to play his game

Yeah, it happened to me, but not on your pc, so it's something hardware dependant, rather than math related. Can resolution be an issue?

do you feel like overly successful kickstarter can kill the game by making devs provide more rewards and overambitious stretch goals that they won't be able to accomplish because getting hands on the money destroyed their motivation to actually work

streamable.com/kotck

hows my audio design agdg? What needs work here?

yes

Where does puzzle lie on the tier list?

the best devs don't post progress or they leave at an early stage (see: a hat in time) instead of getting involved with the drama here and posting neo-nazi memes

it's on you tried tier

Somewhere between 14f and 3b

No. Look at for example.

Bokudev asks for way too much handholding and help or feedback from agdg instead of using his own vision to finish his game and release it like he should be doing. At this rate hes not gonna release the game if he asks for feedback on every little thing within 5 more years.

No idea.
Just want to say that the else-if statement is redundant and can be replaced with an else one.
In fact, you can rewrite it onto two lines and have it be completely illegible:

public void Move(_2DCamera cam){
bgPos1.X = (-1 * speed * cam.GetWorldPosition().X) % tex.Width;
bgPos2.X = bgPos1.X + (tex.Width * (bgPos1.X < 0 ? 1 : -1));
}

Won't fix any of your problems, though.

What is the business plan behind your game, AGDG?

Sounds ok to me, the jump meter could have some more descriptive sounds telling you how full it is with dings when it reaches 5 and 10. You should test your audio with the music on too, that's how most people will be playing the game.

Fix the falling block sound playing when the level restarts.

>posting neo-nazi memes
That's what this is really all about huh? You perceive this to be some nazi forum so you would prefer that no one uses it. How magnanimous of you.

Aren't you suppose to ask for feedback around here? Whats wrong with a game made up of agdg's feedback if anything that makes it kinda special.

>Whats wrong with a game made up of agdg's feedback
dumbest question i've read all month

make a good game

1. make game
2. ???
3. profit!

Bokube's worst aspects like the jumping and portals memes were caused by him not listening to agdg.

You should see how much he asks for help in the discord.

He also takes testosterone pills.

is he ftm?

>He also takes testosterone pills.
So he is even more redpilled than I thought...

Is he right?

I did a ton of research into this and the short answer is that you can't. There's no way to access lighting information directly. Supposedly, this is actually true of most modern engines, because they do all lighting calculations in the GPU, which would probably explain why light-based stealth is almost entirely dead. However, it's notoriously bad in UE4, where cel shading is only possible in post process without a lot of hacking because of the way they calculate lighting.

You can, however, fake it, by using collision zones to see if the player is near a light, linetraces to check line of sight from the light, and distance vectors to simulate falloff. On a side note, I believe this is how cel shader materials work as well.

>unity is shit
well duh

use godot

this is the problem with any Veeky Forums general, the very small vocal, autistic minority of nodevsdx who dont want to help are able to get away with their retarded shitposting because its anonymous.

we see that when someone like gogum starts useing an ID, we can call him out on his idiocy, now everyone hates him. im sure if this general had ids then the no dev shitposters would be bullied off the board and we could focus on something productive.

but it will never happen, this same issue occurs in all generals and boards around the site that focus on improving a skill, Veeky Forums /ic/ /agdg/ and many other places

thats just the nature of the website.

What would be needed to get light information?
Thief: Deadly Shadows is made in UE1 and it has dynamic lights and shadows and it works really well, I don't know if it's faked but it doesn't appear to be considering it's so accurate and isn't just a binary on/off like in Thief 2014.

can't you just use the forward renderer?

the instability is a huge issue, especially with the lack of source code access

DELETE THIS BOKU IS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL KICKSTARTER OF AGDG!!

you cant go off rendered light pixels obviously because it doesn't render the players body, just do what he said and raycast from the lights

Back in the old shitty days of programming using modulo on negative values gave implementation defined results. I'm not sure if that is the case here or if I fully understand your code but you might want to juggle some of those operations and see what happens.

What if you used render target captures from the last frame to check how bright the pixels of the character are

UE1, as well as the original Thief's Dark Engine, have software renderers, so it's presumably quite easy to do lighting calculations even when the rest of the rendering is offloaded to the GPU, since all relevant info has to be exposed anyway.

If you want direct lighting info in UE4, you'll have to rewrite the engine. That's why everyone just fakes it. You can get a gradient if you use the player's distance from the light to estimate the falloff of the brightness.

>If you want direct lighting info in UE4, you'll have to rewrite the engine.
whats to stop you drawing an object to a seperate texture buffer and sampling the color?

>each light stores its light radius and falloff
>light sensor raycasts through every nearby light and does a simple distance calculation
name one thing wrong

These might work as well. I haven't seen them proposed before.
You would need a way to convert RGB pixel color to 1-dimensional lighting info though.

lmao, you just use a lightnap to modify your stealth index, easy as that.

>lightnap
I don't know if a sleep-based stealth game would work out very well.

small time

thats the most sensible solution to be honest, it's faster than sampling and averaging the real light value on the player

A surreal nightmare stealth game would be dope

No joke I'm, shocked at what hes pulling off for $5000

doesnt work with dynamic lights

You'd need to deal with baked/indirect lighting differently.

I would assume there's some way to sample the volume lighting in UE4

Most stealth games use lights that can be turned off, and sometimes even on.

HES ONLY DOING IT WITH MOMMIES MONEY.

indirect lighting is trivial enough to be ignored and you just place an object where the baked lights are and use that as a faux light or whatever works in unreal

Get on my level fags

Remember when MonsterGirlIsland posted here?
I member.

>shadows are automatically calculated thanks to the raycasting so there's no fear of light going through walls or actors
>raycasts are lightweight as fuck so no performance issues either, just add collision bubbles to the lights for bigger levels so it doesn't raycast through every single light in the level
>can calculate transparent objects by simply flagging them as transparent
Why exactly do people have so much trouble with stealth games in modern engines? I just figured this shit out in 2 minutes.

add a trigger volume to a dynamic light that modifies your stealth index on top of the lightmap.

Just make a special actor that includes a light + relevant info and make it so it can be toggled between dynamic and static like any other light.
You would just ignore the dynamic ones when they're off.
No special cases.

>indirect lighting is trivial enough to be ignored
What? It can be the dominant light source in many situations

You think you're hot shit?

Now you've made dynamic lights a special case when you could've treated both types the same.

Can't you just use volumes?

avoid those situations

>Now you've made dynamic lights a special case
What?

problem with sampling lightmaps is it only works where the light is touching the floor