Was Falkenhayn simply trying to kill as many Frenchmen as possible?

Was Falkenhayn simply trying to kill as many Frenchmen as possible?
Why did the battle of Verdun fail?
Was it his fault?

>somme

If it wasn't for the Somme would the Germans have steamrolled Verdun?

well i think it was something like 20 infantry divisions and 6 railway guns were shifted around so most likely yes

That's a shame. Statistically Verdun should have been an unstoppable offensive. Falkenhayn intrigues me. I think he was a brilliant general.

Even if the British hadn't fought at the Somme, they'd of gone to Verdun presumably.
Not much to be upset over.

>Was Falkenhayn simply trying to kill as many Frenchmen as possible?

That was the original intent, yes. To force France into a battle over a location it could not abandon in order to bleed away its manpower.

>Why did the battle of Verdun fail?

Early German gains at Verdun caused the Germans to over-commit and made it so they were just as unwilling to lose ground as the French. The result was the Germans and French started exchanging blows for several months trading forts back and forth, and high casualty rates on both sides.

>Was it his fault?

Completely.

Yeah, but the Germans could have bulked up even more in anticipation.

It would of just been a much more grinding stalemate.
Much like the Somme.

Even if there was a German breakthrough at Verdun I doubt the Germans would have been able to exploit it. They simply lacked the manpower in the west to mount a true offensive, as they'd at that point committed to trying to knock out the Russians.

Always with the fucking snow niggers.

Oddly enough, World War 1 is one of those weird times where an attacking force into Russian won. Germany was smart to focus on Russia, it was the weakest link in the entente and also the biggest threat to Austria-Hungary (aka Germany's giant liability). Knocking out Russia in 1917 was the only reason Germany was able to shatter the lines on the Western Front in spring 1918, though they ultimately couldn't achieve a final victory.

It's at this point i must regrettably say.
>American entrance into WW1 in 1917

:^)

>can't admit he's a shitty leader
>"I-I killed a lot of fucking frogs, ach ach ach ach ach...!!!!"

I'll give you this. I've never seen anyone shitpost with Woodrow Wilson before.

desu Wilson's whole Presidency was one big shitpost.

another accurate post by Veeky Forums

It's something worth being proud of desu

Capturing Verdun would have created an even greater killing field as the french would be desperate to retake it, with the Frogs demanding more British attacks against dug-in germans causing even more casualties to the allies.

Falkys strategy was entirely correct

then why didn't it work in practice
it's not exactly a strategy if it lands you in more trouble

>Falkys strategy was entirely correct

Except for the part where he couldn't break thorugh and expended waaaaaay more men and materials he had intended to.