Engineering Major Advice

Veeky Forums, I'm a first-year engineering student at the University of Virginia. I declared civil engineering, but now I'm leaning towards electrical just cause I think I'll get bored with civil, and electrical is literally the future.

Any of you guys have an advice for me?

I originally chose civil cause I wanted to be outdoors and on-site (I would hate being stuck in a cubicle), but I've since realized those kind of jobs will just involve watching people pour concrete, and won't involve a lot of creativity. I like electrical cause I've always liked electronic technology, but I'm afraid I'll be stuck doing computer design with electrical (and honestly, I'm afraid that would happen with civil too).

Civil seems to have better job prospects than electrical...but electrical pays more.

What do you think, Veeky Forums?

Pic somewhat related.

You are a fag.

no problem.

drop out and buy eth with the money you would have spent on tuition

Nice.

This op. Best advice someone will ever give you.

you will be rich in no time and wont have to get a major end up being a wage cuck.

Wahoo Wa

Yeah, have fun manipulating abstract currency. I'm going to build cool shit.

You can go electrical and then design stuff in the construction field. open your own construction contracting shop and you can hire and supervise the electricians who build and install your designs

i've heard that subsea engineers get to do cool stuff offshore

Engineers are cucks. Holy shit. This is coming from an engineer drop-out. You'll never meet a woman until you earn six figures then she will divorse rape you and all you'll have left is a shitty job that you care nothing about for government, big oil, or a defense contractor that you hate and will fire you a month before you get a pension and hire pajeet instead.

This. Engineers are just glorified construction workers.

Make your own product, don't waste your time and money chasing the certification to work on someone else's.

Look up what the job market is like in both industries and ask yourself if you would want those jobs, or if you think you could get that job.

As an EE I wish I would have done Civil. But that's just one datapoint.

i plan to finish an electrician apprenticeship and then go back to school for electrical engineering once i have a good amount of money saved. can someone tell me if this is a stupid idea?

Depends on your motives.

As a journeyman electrician you will be making good money. Maybe not worth the opportunity cost and risk of quitting and going back to school.

im making the assumption having jman experience and an electrical degree would make me more hireable and my ultimate goal really is to become a contractor

EE is some of the most intense math of all the engineerings so if you don't love love calculus stay away

If you are a engineer you will not be doing labor. Unless you want the unions to fire you. If you are in a small shop, maybe you could get away with it.

so would your opinion be that there is no real benefit of having electrical experience going into an electrical engineering job? what positions would benefit from having electrical experience?

>willing choosing to become an engineer
>it's like you want to be a wagie for the rest of your life
Enjoy working for 40 years straight wagie

i'm sorry to hear about your autism

you have 2 years to get your basics, so shop around and find something you have talent for but there's still a strong market for. civil will talk to many branches, so will mechanical. but as an engineer you're not going to do "creative" work - most of the time you'll be fixing broken shit.

EE here. It's great money and you can go into many different areas like power or instrumentation or coding, etc. Some people use EE to go into sales.

Also, many people here are fucking retarded.

Sure thing, wagie

Electrical Engineering is a good choice, but make sure your classes don't absorb all your time.

The best engineers finish a bunch of geneds before they get in and then have time to network & start businesses in college while their peers and doing their Math & EE homework.

engineers are salaried
no wage

>literally admits to fox and grapes