Precious metals

Hey /biz
Are you investing in physical gold and silver? Do you prefer bullion coins or numismatic coins?
Also what are your best tips for investing in physical gold and silver?

This is my plan

I have a small amount (

>Keep the spread in mind when deciding what to buy. Cheaper isn't always better.
Care to elaborate some more?
Isn't spread the difference between what you can buy it for and what you'd be able to sell it for?
That would make cheaper (as in: closer to spot) better.

>Isn't spread the difference between what you can buy it for and what you'd be able to sell it for?
Yes.
>That would make cheaper (as in: closer to spot) better.
No, because being closer to spot doesn't help you if the sell price is far below spot.

>No, because being closer to spot doesn't help you if the sell price is far below spot.
?
Being closer to spot is better than being further away from spot, because you are always going to sell below spot.
Unless we are talking about numismatics. There you might get lucky and recap the premium you paid for the nice panda, but generic coins like Kruger Rand or Maple leaf, you want to get as cheap as you can.
Not trying to argue, but I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

Think about it, which is better (numbers made up): buying 2% over spot and selling 1% under spot or buying 1% over spot and selling 3% under spot?

OK, I see.
But how often is that relevant?
Most buyers I have seen so far, simply buy by wheight, as long as it's something known, but don't care if it's a bar, a maple leaf or some 1745 whatever coin.

I've seen dealers who pay more for (non-numismatic) coins than they will for bars / rounds. It's just something to keep in mind and will vary depending on who you are dealing with.

it's a hedge against inflation which is unfortunately being rigged by banks and now Steve Mnuchin.
I'm stocking up on silver and that makes up the biggest part of my investment portfolio.
Asking price for an ounce of silver is currently $18.59/oz and I'm willing to bet that it's going to go back down for awhile. Mike Maloney has predicted a double bottom where the price is going to go back down to about $13-$14 an ounce before it starts to go up an astronomically.
Also of note, there is more gold than silver because the latter is used in production to the point of near extinction. I predict silver will either be at a 1:1 to gold or close to it in a free market situation.

It will inevitably go up this month due to french elections,there will be a scare with le pen going first round and then who knows.
I wouldn't get so excited you see mike malory and friendos have been saying this is the moment,or the moment is now!for years already,the problem is they are right and it should go up but it's kept down and probably will remain kept down until someone decides to pull the trigger on the dollar.
Don't buy all silver get some gold in there,even if you can afford much get some 1/4th ounces or similar every now and then.

it's ok just don't call it investment.
metals are not investment. they are insurance. they cost you to hold them. under extremely specific circumstances you can make money on buying and selling them, but mostly it costs money.

>tfw increasing independence from kike banking system thanks to my abundance of silver and a little gold
>tfw I can be my own bank
>tfw I might get Gaddafi'd or Hitler'd but I don;t give a fuck

from where do you buy your silver (silver coins)? I want to get into silver but I'm always terrified of getting fake coins.

reputable dealers online.
I've picked up from JM Bullion, SD Bullion and Apmex

Learn how to test them,what I do is buy an original from a trusted source (i love in a big city so I'm lucky enough to have one of the best jeweleries in my country,but you can also buy from a reputed shop over the Internet,that way you have an original to compare with,hold it,learn it watch it etc etc until you become used to its size,shape,weight etc so you learn how it feels,then buy a neodymium magnet,a scale and off you go,you can strike it gently to learn the distinctive sound it makes...if it passes a weight test,a magnet test,a ping test and has the same size as the original...that's an original

But user, Gold Eagles aren't pure gold...

I only buy Krugerrands because they're often a little bit cheaper than 1oz bars, don't have serial numbers and are easy to sell because they're ubiquitous world-wide.

buy pretty ones.
also make it a hobby, not an investment.

And dont pay any premium for generics like libertads

They will only ever sell for melt value

Obviously if you collects, you only buy one of each unless it looks very pretty.

My grandfather always had gold and silver... I have a few silver bars but my mom may have pawned them off by now.

Grandfather use to bury it in the woods by his house and died so theres like a pirate treasure some mexican digging for a new housing develop will find

My plan is to keep buying silver eagles (I have 4 now) until I get about 50 ounces, then I'm gonna buy a gold eagle. I'm always sorting pocket change for pre 65 silver but I've only found 1 quarter so far

>50 ounces
wow what a treasure drove... my trial purchase was a 100 ounce and that's pretty much pocket change. don't strain yourself user! just take it easy and slow.

Dirty silver is overrated (thus overpriced).

>muh post-apocalypse currency usefulness

By that point commodities and resources will be much more useful than any "precious metals." Also, some argue they are good because they are worth less than pure silver coins, so you can exchange them with ease. Well you can do same with a new 99% silver bullion. It's called cutting them into pieces and using the exact amount you want to trade. People used to do this a lot (see pic).

>new coins have an additional price (brand, name value)

Yeah, but they sell higher for that reason.

Yes, and? People will and buy and sell with that in mind. No big deal.

Get a metal detector

Smart grandfather though. Bank safe-deposit boxes are not safe from the feds. When Greece had their financial crisis, the government ordered lockdown on all safe-deposit boxes!

There is still 1 ounce gold in it

Dont buy 90 percent silver. It will be harder to sell if you ever need to sell in a hurry.

How do you learn about valuable new coins that will outperform their raw material value?

>i don't know what i'm talking about

get a fucking metal detector!

Aiming for 5% to 10% of net worth.

I get different (non-numismatic) coins from various countries and mints but I try to stick to one fineness for each metal.

Diversify your metals. Palladium and platinum need love too.

Buy different weights, use the same proportions you would use when stocking a cash register. When the shit hits the fan and you only have 1-ounce coins you're going to be overpaying for everything you need.

Precious metals are a store of value, not cash, not an investment.

Buy a nice safe you can store documents in as well.

>100 ounces
wow what a treasure drove... my trial purchase was a 4.20E+69 ounce and that's pretty much pocket change. don't strain yourself user! just take it easy and slow.

Depends on the situation he might be right if its a rise in price due to industrial demand pure silver might get a better deal due to no need for it to clog up the refineries.
If it's a mad max shtf scenario i prefer non pure silver in lower denominations since its more durable and more easily tradable.
Depends on the country,personally I wanted to get palladium and platinum since they had a big dip and they have 200 dollars swings like crazy and is a faster market but...having the physical coin i can't see myself trying to sell it,there is no market or buyers for that bullion in my country except the very same shop I bought it from..

god i hope not
my gold/silver holdings started to become more than 10kusd
so my parents told me to put them in a deposit box
i have a felony for possessing weed and xanax only like 200$ worth, but i'm in a terrible state with private prisons
so i can't get a gun for home protection and probation would bug out if they found a safe
i hate this country and put over 99% of my money in gold/silver/bitcoin
mostly in bitcoin and it has treated me well over the past few years
only keep a couple grand in cash when I might need it in a hurry

>my trial purchase was a 4.20E+69 ounce
there is not even near that many coins minted my nigga
i'm not even sure there is that much silver on planet earth