/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

Is your game easy enough for those who will review it and heavily influence its sales? edition

> Play Demo Day 17
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17

> Play Halloween Jam 2017
itch.io/jam/agdg-halloween-jam-2017

> Current Mecha Jam
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/PAX2PvrV
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/BdjWRwX8

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart
fervir.itch.io/elysis
davidrevoy.com
youtube.com/watch?v=REsnUbEXoYA
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/194564556/#194642070
youtube.com/watch?v=8fHi36dvTdE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

my game will be easy because I suck at video games

Since looked kind of silly with the others just standing there, I made the lolis react as well to crimes being committed. They'll run away from the player and scream ("Aaaah!", "Help!" etc), then once they're far away they'll run to the nearest adult and tell them about all the crimes they witnessed.

Pic related.

Once I fix the noise system I'll make the kidnapping make noise, which will make the other lolis who didn't notice turn around so they can see the crime.

I guess I could make it based on personality, so some lolis would just cower in fear instead.

This is my first attempt at animation and pixel art. How do you like it?

>195389665
>he hasn't done the donut man's blender beginner tutorial

McPixel/10

Looks pretty good for your first attempt. But here, have this blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart

>broken cross-thread quote

Neither have you, so?

I have though.

Proof?

make the cigarette horizontal, that looks weird

is codeacademy a good starting point

You literally replied it it at the end of the last thread, dumbass.

this peeves me greatly

I like it

I'm not even him you stupid idiot. Stop assuming everyone calling you out is the same person.

:^)

Thanks, my man

Except you very clearly are, dumbass.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, you mong

the apple logo makes this picture

>thing shouldn't work
>it works
oh no

penguin stronk

>Building up strength to go up walls
But first, let me talk about parallel universes

its shit body movements move the entire body, not just the arm. this looks fake and robotic

What happened to these games? Did some of them get finished?

>some knight game

That was a strategy game, iirc. Looked good. The dev was a cool person. Not sure if I'm mixing things up, but I think he was using Flash and was running into some roadblocks?

Why did gogem want to do the art for Aviary Attorney?

$$$$$

Dreaming Sarah is on Steam.

>learn to make a game in gamemaker
>none of your knowledge carries over
why would you do this to yourself

I want to become a famous dev within the agdg community.
It used to be rotatedev, now its gogem, i wanna be next.
How do i achieve the fame those two achieved?

Day 2 of trying to improve my programmer art, wish I just knew how to draw

Cool. I'll check it out. Only 6 bucks

Are kill except sim loli.
RRPS was on steam but the author removed it
store.steampowered.com/app/296870/Dreaming_Sarah/
fervir.itch.io/elysis

That's wrong though. You still develop many skills that most people take for granted in game maker, like game and level design. Yeah, you ain't gonna learn shit from programming in it, but you'll still take stuff with you when you move on.

repeat after me knightdev
L O O M I S

How do you balance playing games and making games?

Meant to quote

Yes?

I haven't played games in weeks because I've been too busy devving from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep. Otherwise, it's not likely that I'll do both in the same day, either one or the other all day, really.

i thought you were using gamemaker, how is any of this art going to work as sprites

>repeat after me knightdev
>M E M E S
fix'd

Maybe he can use them for tutorial drawings or have silly doodles drawn by the protag or other characters of events in game

>he uses photoshop
What are you some kind of pleb?

davidrevoy.com

>silly doodles drawn by the protag
reminds me of nathan drake in uncharted

Lower res pixel art is extremely hard to make looking good so begin with higher resolutions.

It's mainly just self improvement, with the game as a theme
I was constantly drawing and scrapping sprites, so hopefully after training a bit at higher res some of that skill will carry over, not sure if I have the talent for that though. Best case scenario I get to do some cool boss close-up images for when a battle begins.

How do you even draw all this using open source software? You can't even draw a circle.

autism

nice blog

You're right. How does someone into gamedev motivation that comes from a healthy place (not just comparing yourself to others)?

You close all Veeky Forums tabs, sit your ass down and dev every day, even when you're not motivated.

Got the rudimentary HUD systems up, managed to get it to display as well as bound the camera to the player, which so far is very choppy. Will need to change it to something far better in the future.

Should i get even more of the UI working (inventory and such) or give AI ability to see enemies?

Can someone explain why physic items tends to bug, like objects penetrating each others, exploding everywhere when you stack them up into a box.

You're right. See you on the other side

I don't know, all my motivation comes from not wanting to be a piece of shit.

because you're using a shitty physics engine

What's your 3D modeling program of choice? Blender? Maya? 3DS? Modo? Cinema 4D?

Blender.

Blender

I gave up 3D

who the heck posted the good knight game on reddit? i'd be both amazed and terrified after seeing how big that post blew up.

"starwarsmelon"

d environments with blurry not-sharp-at-all textures
>>pixel characters
>i know disgaea did it and so does FFT and many other games but this screenshot is just horrible. I think it's the inconsistent texture/sprite resolution and just as inconsistent geometry resolution (like thosr rocks on the stairs, the rocks are very smooth and polished but the wall next to it has no depth to it at all, and the characters are very sharp and the stars over that one dude are not even pixely, but the textures are very blurry and mushy by contrast)
>compare to vid related, FFTA2, which does the same thing and manages to look coherent
>youtube.com/watch?v=REsnUbEXoYA
>i think the key is a more consistent texture and geometry resolution on the 3d stuff, and keeping the spritework on its own scale as well, even if that scale is different from the geometry. effects can be as fine as need be because sprite art retains consistent scale for storage reasons, and effects are programmatic/parametric/whatever

this is what Full Sail meth addicts actually believe. Lol.

Using Source to make a game. Yay or nay?

the process to gitting gud at art

1. think of what you want to draw

2. find an image of it from real life

3. copy that image/ use it as ref

4. repeat steps 1-3 for 10,000 hours

5. bam you are good at art

what happened?

see you tomorrow

Maybe there's a name for this genre. It's basically a 2D exploration game like TokiTori2. Quite comfy, but hasn't finished yet.

Everyone who say Loomis, basically suggest to give programming a rest and dedicate the next 2-3 years of your life to drawing.

Gogum made that shooter which made it to the news, he had the yesdev series, some finished games and he is a name fag.

Rotate had that fiasco with Theonian, and became a tranny, even had his own Discord for some time.

My /agdg/ dream is to have a game with a cute female protag who receives a lot of fan art and love from the community, but that's unlikely because I hate drawing, cannot even draw a proper square. So I start these projects with obscure cubes and squares and circles, and then drop them because I know nobody will care in the end. I don't know why I'm here anymore.

some guy posted a cute clip from the game and it got like 30k uboats.

It gets worse.

>off the top of my head, an example of why is RE4

>speed is tied animation speed. one of the shotguns was rebalanced between versions to come up on aim faster. no other gun in the game does this, though, so it was implemented in a wonky way. as a result, if you pause the game between coming up on aim and being able to control leon's point of aim, leon's overall speed is still set to that faster value. so you can move faster, and a lot of actions leon takes become broken. reloading some guns no longer works because leon finishes reloading before the ammo is added back to the gun, you clip into pushable objects because leon pushes them faster than the object moves, etc. a lot of enemy AI also breaks because the way they lead their attacks is hard-coded so they'll just whiff 90% of stuff.

He really is a retard.

boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/194564556/#194642070

>dedicate the next 2-3 years of your life to drawing.

>put down programming
>spend 3 years learning to draw
>now become an artfag with shit programming skills

>Loomis
loomis is a shit meme and his books are ass

in the /ic/ sticky theres tons of better resources

"read loomis" is basically a meme to deride people who are too lazy to read the sticky.

within a couple months you can make passable furshit, even
it does require you read a fucking book and not just grind, though. understanding why good art is good is the first step to making at least okay art

What software do professional indie devs use to make music and sound effects?

>inb4 garbage like bfxr

>it does require you read a fucking book and not just grind, though. understanding why good art is good is the first step to making at least okay art
I'd say you need both. You need to understand what good art is, and with that, you can know why your art is bad. From that, you get what yo u need to work on.

Digital Audio Workshops are a matter of preferences, I use Ableton but it's as capable as Pro Tools or FL Studio. And I don't think there's a DAW that has no VST support, so aside from the built in ones, you can get the same synths/effects in either of them.
For old school SFX you can get away with synths, but for hi-fi sounds you're going to need some recorded sounds to piece together something.

Why would you learn to draw when you can instead learn actual useful skills?

>make an awesome sculpt in zbrush, texture it, shade it
>export it to 3ds max, make a rig for it, skin it
>export it to maya, simplify the mesh (maya has great reduce/simplify tools)
>generate normal, specular, bump, occlusion, detail, etc maps for it
>export it to unity, use it in your game

A good quality microphone.

>export export export export
Or just do it all in Blender.

or do both...

the reason 90% of indie games are shit is the lack of creative and artistic skill.

if you cant art and you cant hire someone to art then your game will suck (with few exceptions such as hyper minimalism)

I'd say the opposite, they try and spice up their generic 2D random action games with art and juice instead of interesting mechanics.

you are correct, but tha'ts game design, he was talking about programming.

good programmers in game dev are a dime a dozen, good designers and artists in game dev is more rare.

>good designers
Isn't that just an ideas guy?

idea guys are bad designers

no lol, an idea guy is the kid that will tell you about his amazing game concept

"its skyrim but with time control and you are a super hero and its multiplayer and you can fly"

a good designer works on creating interesting levels, mechanics and overall game play.

it should also be noted that no one can succeed with only one of these skills, you need a combination of all 3

Holy shit.

It's perfectly possible that their design potential is limited by their programming ability/confidence.

Plenty of people struggle to make a basic inventory, they sure as shit aren't going to make an interesting one.

It's easy, you just remove the redundant sword

sunvox

wtf this is

What's the loomis of music?

Lenard Bernstein

Music is hard

Music Theory.

youtube.com/watch?v=8fHi36dvTdE

level design is not Game Dev.

But loomis is a fuckiung meme book that never helped anyone.