Was the Swedish Empire really an empire?

So Veeky Forums?

no

/thread

No, they were just returning to their usual tricks of raiding vulnerable settlements near the coast. The wasteland they created became their "territory" because no one wanted it. They were not empire builders who sought pax Scandinavica and eternal glory, the nords were too uncivilized and petty for that.

it was an ugly blob

yes, only empires can invade polan

Was it's head-of-state the emperor? If not, it was not really an empire.

Yes but Veeky Forums likes to pretend it's not because they are butthurt /pol/-babbies

you fucking bullies

nope

Contrary to popular opinion, I'd be willing to call the Kingdom of Sweden an empire.. Sweden held power over areas that were ethnically Scandinavian, German and Finno-Ugric, so the Kingdom of Sweden could be called multiethnic, i.e. an empire.

It was a centralized multi-cultural state so yes, it was technically an empire.

>rulers title is not emperor
Thus it's not an empire.
You could say that a country holds a colonial empire.
Like with France, Britain and Spain. But Britain could be only completely referred as an empire in my mind when Victoria was crowned Empress.

Yes, though not for particularly long.

No, it was a Kingdom?

>held significant power over more then one ethnicity

yes

Nope. Swedish "empire" means the time it was a great power in Europe, nothing more. Sweden was multiethnic from 1200s to 1809 but the "empire" lasted only from 1611 to 1721

Perhaps in the technical sense because they had rulership over several kingdoms
But on the practical one, hell no, small population, mostly a wasteland and if you cut out finland and the northern baltics you can see is just sweden with a bunch of shit attached to it

They ruled over differnet subjugated ethnicities, fins, and germans, but weren't really an empire because the Monarch didn't have kings as vassals.

Napoleon was Emperor because Switzerland, Westphalia, Grand Duchy of Warsaw, Spain, and Italy were Grand Duchies, Republics, and Kingdoms that swore fealty to him, the emperor.

Finland was never really even a dutchy, let alone a kingdom. Was really just land with some Mongoloid people on it so it really doesn't count towards 'empire'.

However, the name stormaktstiden i think means 'great power' not 'empire' and comes from them ruling differnet ethnicities so in a sense empire is attached to the period because English doesn't really have a word that isn't empire for this.

>didn't have kings as vassals

You think you're a sly one, but this is where your bait became too obvious, and I stopped reading.

This desu