/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Urist edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Still no anime op, i'm disappointed

WHERE IS IT?

I wish there was more in-depth control over sites. Even just being able to restrict civs to "cities only" or "hamlets only" or something like that would be great.

____________trannies__________

Thanks, that's really helpful.

>for the diplomacy map, I'm not really sure what everything's supposed to represent. these three maps are actually unique in their lack of legends/key files. a shame.
It is a shame, but it's clear there's intention to make more of this in the future so hopefully sooner than later I suppose. The historical maps for instance, need some major work to be useful at all in cases of overlap. But when it's really crowded, I'm just not sure how that could be solved very well. I wonder if there are any modern attempts at mapping, like, "sphere of influence" in overlapping cultures, and how it's been done before.

I want two more zoom levels in exported maps. The "way too big" sitemap-scale world map (Local, in Fortress mode), and the "way way way too big" adventurer-mode world map.

Also, if anyone has insight into the color coding in diplomacy/trading/structures maps,

I tested some shit with the diplomacy map when I was trying to figure out how to kill those links for an user.

So, at least it's sure that the colors aren't random according to civ/race or something. Seems to be light/dark blue, where light blue originates from the capital and the darkness is probably just a way to indicate distance since it's halfway every time. Then green whatever that means, and red (almost definitely for war)

He he he.

also I'm sick of typing capital every time I mean capitol, fuck

In 40

STOP USING SQUARE TILESETS

why

Just give me a god damn five minutes!

fix'd

Still holding out for that October release!

fucking RIP

Now that's what I call a gangbang

apparently around 30000 entities died in the event too, but it ended up breaking the power of the local demon lords so that's interesting. The world isn't dominated by goblins thanks to this one conflict early in the region's history. Pretty much everyone who participated in the war is still suffering from the massive loss of life that occurred, even nearly a millennia later.

You're mistaken, dwarves will only train in a barracks assigned to their squad.

"no"

here senpai

Another fort lost to wereiguanas
That's it
No migrants, no access to the outside world
I'll still have a tavern but it's underground only, no visitors
Is a bridge-door enough or should I collapse the ceiling on my entrance

Maybe you should just learn to deal with werebeasts instead. The game is trying to teach you.

Eh I prefer the other one

Set it up with schedules and alerts, rather than enabling and disabling training rooms for them. Set an alert with a schedule that has zero dwarves training and set the militia you don't want training to that alert.

My last fort had no werebeasts show up, so I was complacent with this one. I was still chopping down the forest and hauling all the wood inside for charcoal and couldn't quite get everyone inside in time, as the burrows did nothing to stop my miner and woodcutter from engaging the creature on their way in. I had a save from not that long prior and loaded it up, got ready for it a bit faster, and managed to lock my doors quickly enough to keep it occupied at my entrance pasture.

Do animals get infected? I butchered the bitten ones, just in case.

That's what I did.

I'd place everyone in my fort into squads, set squads to rotate training/patrol/off-duty, set each squad to active and wind up with 90% of my fort either patrolling or training, the remaining 10% were eating/drinking/sleeping.
If I disabled the barracks, I'd have only a very small handful of dwarfs actually taking leisure time, the rest would be performing individual combat drills all over the fort. The result is the same if I switch the squads to inactive.

Hmm.

Reposting for my own purposes

>Do animals get infected? I butchered the bitten ones, just in case.
You fool, now the infection is in your food supply

Is there a way to use DFhack to change your adventurer's dominant hand?

Fun, but I think I did that in the old save instead of the new one. I don't think I had a second werebeast yet.

Adventurers are all ambidextrous aren't they?

>mountain serene no bridges 2 of every animal

tis your calling to become Noah, build a great ark

We can make a better, updated one.

I believe they are ambidextrous. If you want to change the hand holding your weapon, put it and your shield in your bag and then remove your sword from your bag. It should be in your right hand now and the attacks will be at the top of the list when you do shift-a. Now you can remove the shield from the bag and it will be in your off hand. After that's sorted you can Q to strap to upper body and when you draw them, they'll stay in the correct hand.

off i go
you can, good sir

roll my shit in doc

>Grassy/Forest Joyous Wilds with a no bridge massive above ground town
That's the opposite of FUN

I'm trying to assassinate one (1) fucking gorlak

you wanna know where he is?

In a Goblin dark pit

You wanna know what shares the same fucking tile as Gorlaks

fucking guess

why does my mouse keep appearing in the middle of the screen? why is windows such a piece of shit OS?

>glove bootshoe the daggerdagger of daggers
what the fuck kind of name is this

You're at the tavern when this guy comes up and slaps your girlfriend on the lower body from behind, bruising the muscle and bruising the fat. What do you do?

Urist "user" Uristurist strikes the elven bowman in the head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain!
The elven bowman has been knocked unconscious!
The elven bowman is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The elven bowman's lower body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
The elven bowman looks sick!
The elven bowman slams into an obstacle!
The elven bowman has been struck down.

"I was near my friend. I feel fond."

I personally think friendship is important. I generally find myself quite hopeful about the future. I like a little excitement now and then. I feel euphoric due to inebriation. I am untroubled after drinking.

That's a swordsman though.

>mfw an elf enters the thread

>mfw user posts cringe

Someone needs to ask Toady how long it will be until he introduces cucking so you can breed your wife with Snodub and Oleme.

>Playing with the Warcraft mod.
>Cultist who is well versed in diseases gets possessed!
>Sits a day working on what I can only think is either something stupid or the next Blight.
>HE IS DONE!
>It's a wooden Amulet with an image of Hous Joyimpales the Lich. (One of the Scourge leaders in this realm).

For the Attacking of Circles! My life for Hous!

Same answer as piss & shit, "I don't want it to be known as 'the game with cucking'".

>Be peasant in a farming village
>Next village over is populated by thugs and squatters, cause trouble for us decent folk
>one of them even tries to attack me while I'm out hunting
>ok I'm sure its just one guy
>after that I return to the keep to sleep and wake up to find another guy right in there attacking our honorable and revered lord
>kill him
>this will not stand
>gather some of the lads and go out to teach these guys a lesson
>find some random villagers and a couple of horses grazing on our land
>kill them all
>go into the rival village's turf and axe a couple of their armed guys
>kill some more of their peasants as we leave, set fire to the crops for good measure

Is it wrong that I enjoy this more than going around slaying dragons? Those fuckers from Submergedkeep need to go and stay go.

I mean, whatever pulls your lever, user.

a mix of current adventure mode and the not shit awful parts of CDDA would be the best peasant simulator around.

So adventure mode with modifiable vehicles? I can't think of anything else in CDDA that isn't shit awful.

>modifiable vehicles

DF would just explode

>ywn stumble on the artifact release while walking the wasteland with a companion

They're technically handed one way or the other.

gui/gm-editor df.global.world.units.active[0].body.weapon_bp I think will be the relevant body part.

Pull a minecart filled with magma out of my backpack and trade it for something so it winds up stuffed in his coin pouch, then sit and laugh as he starts burning to death.

Starting scenarios will be sick, especially with magic coming first.
>Your fort is to be a prison to keep extra dangerous prisoners like rogue mages, monstrous persons etc. that haven't been executed because of civ ethics/other reasons
>infiltrators trying to rescue prisoners
>escape attempts
>a prisoner enters the general pop area with the other non-dangerous offenders only to undergo a werebeast transformation

10/29/2017
>four things left
11/08/2017 (+10d)
>two things left

08 +10d = 11/18/2017 release date
or more likely:
08 +40d = 12/28/2017
or even more likely
08 + "40" = he he he

The image depicts a dwarf and an elf. The elf is striking a menacing pose. The dwarf is laughing.

Made me smile.

bump

Rape mod when

>Now you will know why you fear the night!

I have to do everything around here

is it possible to have a reaction that creates an item that immediately evaporates into a cloud, and then have this cloud apply a syndrome to the dorf who uses the reaction?

This game is terrible. This was a Kickstarter game long before Kickstarter existed. People only like it for the idea of the game - most people don't even play it due to terrible controls that have been a problem for a decade. It's cringey fanbase conflates bugs with lore, with most stories all about dated 10-year-old gameplay of drunken cats and killing giants with bunnies that would make even TVTropes cringe. The long delays between updates shows the incompetence of the developer - high-priority bugs like telling your soldiers how to dress properly could have been solved by any semi-competent developer but the dev instead chooses to add things like more dialogue options that could have been added in mere minutes by even a beginning programmer - a task which took Toady almost a decade.

It's just like Minecraft or Overgrowth or Cube World: once it leaves alpha everyone will realize how shit it truly is. Of course Toady is clever enough to make sure that day never truly comes and that he gets a steady paycheck until the end of time. You never liked Dwarf Fortress, only the idea of what it could be.

October. We've been over this.

>leaves alpha
I know you're baiting just like in the last thread, but I still feel like this meme needs to be addressed.

The alpha/beta status doesn't mean shit for a game like DF. the game still being in development means that it's constantly changing, and constantly growing. this is the nice thing about DF. we don't want DF to get "finished", since that would just mean that we never get new stuff again. it will just become a boring finished product on the shelf, among countless others.

DF will stay in alpha status indefinitely, and that's a good thing. it's what makes games like Unreal World and DF great.

Is that the editorial we you're using?

Don't bother, it's just some git posting his own pasta to stir up shit.

do you really want the updates to stop forever?

the 1.0 status is such an arbitrary limit anyway. you might as well take the game at the 0.34 version, or why not the last 2D version, and say "this is version 1.0, I'm not gonna play anything past it". more updates past that is just a bonus.

I know that he is shitposting, but I often see people fetishise alpha/beta/finished status unironically, as if it said anything about how playable or enjoyable the actual product was.

sometimes I think that some of these people would even consider it a "step forward" if DF ended up on steam greenlight.

Whats your favourite biome for fort building?
I like tundras

for me, the shape of the ground is more important than the biome type. personally I'm a big sucker for dramatic river valleys.

it's fun to make a 3x5 embark spanning the entire valley.

yellow desert was my most enjoyable fortress, though i always end up choosing ocean since i want to see some monsters in it and catch them. now i'm trying broadleaf forest near ocean. also high cliffs in desert would be cool but i don't know how to check if there are cliffs((

I've actually been having trouble starting this embark because it's so perfect

>withdraws from society

I don't like those valleys, they always have that completely cut off shape which just shows they weren't modeled or anything. That generally only happens because the intersection is there I think. I did once make a circular walled aboveground fort in a pretty circular intersection like that once though.

maybe they were dug out by giant worms in the time before time

or maybe toady had better things to do than model this minor part of the terrain better as a temporary solution

Red desert is easier on the eyes. Glacier is fun because you get a nice flat surface and you end up with mushroom logs for all of your wood, white/yellow/pink beds

i have seen all map covered in human blood in terrifying biome, but that wasn't looking pretty((

I wasn't talking about those.

I was talking about the actual valleys formed by the rivers.

do you guys think toady has toxoplasmosis? is scamps an indoor or outdoor cat?

if that's scamps then he appears to be indoors

I'm much happier now that I'm making little dining halls, with little store rooms below them. Something like, 5 tables and chairs, a 5 tile plot for goblets and mugs, a 2x3 plot for food and drink. Much cozy

>When the elves bring a breeding pair of giant tigers
Sometimes those tree huggers are OK

sounds cool

>breeding pair
he he he

Anybody monitored DF ram usage? on start it's around 500mb but after mining 20 floors it jumps to above 2gigs and crash most of the time, i didn't think a bunch of loose stones eat that much of ram.

Probably. If you've ever lived in a house with a cat you've got damn good odds. Also, you can bet Toodly isn't a real clean guy. Other positive correlates are age, maleness, low economic status.

I would guess it's more a pathfinding issue, to verify try setting big areas as restricted traffic and see if it makes an impact

>low economic status.
iirc his dad was an engineer or something like that. and the donations add up to a comfortable middle class tier income.

>the donations add up to a comfortable middle class tier income
They do now. That's pretty recent, though. And he was supporting his brother with that income as well, may still be.