Tax season

Did you file your taxes this year, Veeky Forums?

How much did you owe or how big was your refund?

>always owe NY or I get back pennies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Question about taxes (Canadian)

I wanna claim the disability tax credit and infirm dependent over 18 from my mom since I live at home and made 50k last year while she's disabled

How do I go about doing that?

>Dumbfags will think this is a good result

Jesus, why did they overpay so much?

Jeez what was their adjusted gross income?

I know that feel bro. I just also made my first payment for Q1 2017 taxes to NYS ;____;

Got $7900 back, waiting on a reassessment from a few years back that could be another $1000. Go RRSPs and territorial cost of living credit increase.
You'll need a doctor to certify your disability before the government will do anything. Im in the process of egistering with the CNIB which could mean being able to back claim 10 years of disability.

Literally how teach me 2 jew

I got fucking jewed by a Jewish accountant.

I literally only made $4500 last year.
But I was an idiot and let this Jew look at my taxes this year after already having basically filed them and now he's gonna charge me out the ass to "see if I can get a better refund." I fucking thought it would be free for some reason.

I don't know what to do, but to be fair there was no contract between us or anything. I just handed him all my information thinking he'd just take a look and he remarked that he wouldn't charge too much.

Should I just wait to see what he does with it and then if it's too much tell him no?

I owe $0 to the IRS, so I have no real time limit. If I don't like his service or feel he is charging too much, am I allowed to just say "no" and not pay the guy, even though he's probably already filed or something? He didn't make me sign or anything and I genuinely thought it was just a free check or something.

Lmao how can one be so poor explain yourself

If you're poor trying to go after damages would likely be like getting blood from a stone. Sadly this is common, most health insurance brokers won't put people on marketplace plans that are heavily discounted because they won't make shit so they convince them to buy expensive non-marketplace plans instead.

My brother was eligible for a $20/mo obamacare plan (commercial NYS health insurance medicaid expansion), health insurance broker tried to sell him a $500/mo plan instead.

Well right now I make 75k a year and I'm 21. I was in college last year and only made like $4500 in a part time study job. But I want to claim the American Opportunity Credit and some federal tax (like $20) I accidentally paid last year.

Thus I expected like $1020 in refund and did all the tax work and everything.

I'm not poor now. I just explained my situation above.

Wait wtf are you talking about? I make 75k a year and my company pays my health insurance.

We're discussing LAST year's taxes here and I'm trying to get $1020 back in credits only.

But I'm worried this Jew is gonna step in and take like half of it even though I figured out and organized the whole thing.

Hence my question, if I have no time limit to pay and I already have all the forms to file filled out in an envelope and ready to mail to the IRS and did everything and I never signed a contract with this guy, why should I pay him? I literally thought it would be a free check. If he tries to charge me, what's to stop me from going "look you didn't really help me at all. I have everything here and don't need your service. I'm not gonna pay you." ???

Cause I don't need it at all, he literally said it was free (turns out what he meant was that a certain add-on was free PROVIDED you pay some amount of money for his regular service, but he never said this).

So what do I do?

If you basically prepared your taxes and he says he wants to check for a bigger refund after you supplied him with essentially complete tax docs I'd tell him to pound sand, but that's a personal opinion.

I have a lot of respect for my last accountant but he charges way too much ($150 for one state return alone) and my tax situation is not that complex. Parents file with him because that's different and he respected the move. (Said accountant also filed my taxes and my brother's taxes under each other's SSNs for about 20 years which posed a different complexity, although I'm not sure if that's a dependent data entry error by my parents or a mistake on the part of the accountant).

If you handed him your docs looking for a better deal I'd just sucker up. If you handed him the docs of a completed return and he cannot come up with an increase in the return that exceeds his pricing I'd just chance going on your own.

Tax years get confusing because by April 18th, 2017 you have to pay 2016 taxes or extend/refund, whatever, etc... depending on tense or interpretation you can say "this year" (paid in 2017 or 2016 taxes is one way to interpret) or "last year" (e.g. income/tax paid or owed for 2016 tax year still due in April 2017).

>Hence my question, if I have no time limit to pay and I already have all the forms to file filled out in an envelope and ready to mail to the IRS and did everything and I never signed a contract with this guy, why should I pay him? I literally thought it would be a free check. If he tries to charge me, what's to stop me from going "look you didn't really help me at all. I have everything here and don't need your service. I'm not gonna pay you." ???

If you haven't heard back from him yet I'd file on your own. If you have a non-complex return I'd e-File using your existing software or Creditkarma (free e-file federal and state, no catches, although some complex situations like stock/brokerage accounts may not be considered).

>>Cost of living tax credit
T2222 form, move up north to a Zone A area (anywhere in the territories) to get $11/day. You get to claim it twice if you live alone.

Everything else was from a) telling my employer to max my tax payments so they go away in August or September because they're all paid up, and b) maxing out my RRSP. You can borrow from your TFSA to contribute to an RRSP in December and then get the space back in January along with the next year's room.

>Jesus, why did they overpay so much?
>Jeez what was their adjusted gross income?
AGI was in the $200K range. What happened was that I significantly underestimated my deductions, and my taxable income was lowered by a huge chunk.

Usually my effective tax rate is in the 18-22% range. I based my withholdings off this. But this year my effective tax rate was under 8%. Fucking crazy.

Ohh, and to register with the CNIB I tore both retinas, lost 30% of my already shitty field of vision, have no depth perception or peripheral vision, and have to go for cataract surgery and retinal depression later this year.
Not sure what all this pays, I'm only 32.

I did supply him with complete tax documents. I spent hours researching everything, filled out and singed all the necessary forms, and gave them in an envelope to him. I still have all the forms on my computer so I could turn them in any time before him as well and he wouldn't be able to do anything.

My tax situation is extremely simple from last year. I mae like $4500 and I want basically free $1050 back in credits.

Why should I pay for that when I can do it myself?

He says he's gonna file an extension for me and file the whole thing over the next few weeks, etc. I could literally send it in on my own in 10 minutes.

I handed him completed 1040 and all the necessary attachment forms, signed and ready to go.

There is no WAY he will get me a better price. I spent hours and hours researching and checking everything for myself.

But if I just file on my own and he tries to file too, it'll come back as fraud or something on his end and he'll be pissed at me I think.

There is a little bit more to this. My wife doesn't have an SSN, so we need someone to certify her passport. This man has the legal authority to do that and that's why I talked to him initially. However, he said he'd do it for free at first. I didn't know he meant free provided I pay him for filing my taxes in full. There is another free option for doing the certification elsewhere, and I made an appointment to see them on May 4th anyway. So I could just go to that appointment, file it for free there, and not pay this guy.

Still not sure what to do....???

Again I have the absolute simplest tax return possible from last year because I didn't owe anything or invest or anything. Just made a little money and threw it in a checking account.

>ey goy I checked your taxes for you, pay me $300
In reality he never even gave me a price point, just took my data and said he'd check it out for me.
I hate to make a guy go through all the effort of checking my returns and then not paying him, but at the same time I feel like this is an old Jewish trick.

If there's no contract, I don't need him, and I have a free version of his same service at my fingertips, why should I pay him?

>If there's no contract
That's where you're wrong, junior. Google oral contracts, promissory estoppel, and quantum meruit. Pardon my French, but only niggers ask someone to do something and then whine and cry about paying for it.

My mom has a certification for blindness when she got sick

My dad doesn't work but I think they each claim their own taxes, would I still be able to claim her as my dependent instead of my dad?

The guy literally said "ok the first passport I certify is free. I see this as an investment so you'll come back to me next year." I said "great." Show up in person and he says "i'll charge a reasonable fee."

He didn't tell me how much, and I have the EXACT same service at the tip of my fingertips just a very short drive away for free. Plus I spent hours researching everything and found and filled out and signed all the forms already and practically gift-wrapped it for him in an envelope for him to look at and then mail off.

Why the hell should I pay him? He didn't even tell me a price beforehand, led me to believe it was free, and I gift-wrapped the whole thing so he doesn't have to do anything, and I have plenty of free alternative services that do the same thing.

Why?

>oral contracts
I love these. So many angry people try to get out of giving adequate notice when they decide to move out because they didn't sign anything.

Okay I googled quantum meruit.
>A reasonable sum of money for services
I fucking did all the work and the market price for this service is "free," what the fuck kind of reasonable price is there for this?

I genuinely don't think this is the case for me because he didn't specify a price and see this post: Do I really still have to pay the guy? He literally said it was free when I gave him my data.
And given the fact that I have alternatives to this which are free and do the same thing, "free" didn't seem too good to be true, it seemed fair considering he was trying to pull in a new customer.

Shouldn't that be something of an oral contract too?

Doubtful unless you have documentation as primary caregiver or that you paid for prescriptions, appointments, etc.
You should probably talk to Revenue Canada directly or to a filing agency like H&R Block, my disability claim is all me so it's quite a bit simpler.

>Show up in person and he says "i'll charge a reasonable fee."
And if you didn't want to pay a reasonable fee, you should have used your big-boy voice and said "no thank you." But you didn't.

>He didn't tell me how much, and I have the EXACT same service at the tip of my fingertips just a very short drive away for free.
So? If you wanted to use the free service you should have used the free service. You chose to leave the work with the guy AFTER he told you there was going to be a fee. That means you owe.

>Why the hell should I pay him?
Because that's what the law says? Because its the right thing to do? Because only niggers welch on their debts? Because your not 6 years old? Choose any.

>fucking whiner

>what the fuck kind of reasonable price is there for this?
That's for you and him to agree, or for a judge to decide. But its not zero, you cry-baby poorfag.

>>Implied oral consent vs express written consent.
The terms are unstated and ambiguous, if you ask outright for the price and don't like it, refuse and decline to contimue the service. You may have to deal with him being angry or annoyed and changing the passport deal, buy he can't formally file your taxes for you without your consent.

>And if you didn't want to pay a reasonable fee, you should have used your big-boy voice
Reasonable fee is maybe $25, maybe, for taking an envelope I already prepared and stamped, and sticking it into a mailbox.

>You chose t leave the work with the guy AFTER he told you there was going to be a fee
NO I did not. Read my fucking posts. He said "free." He said the service he was doing was a free check and then I gave him my data. THEN he said "it'll be a reasonable fee." HE misled and then changed his price after the fact, which as far as I was concerned and based on his word, was "free."

Not "free, if you pay me for something else so I can make it like a discount-kind-of-free." No. he said "free."

Would it be reasonable if I said
>Well, you didn't actually end up increasing my tax refund, and I had already filled out and stamped all the tax forms signed and ready to go before I gave them to you. Also, the part where you use your legal authority to verify a passport is something I could do for free down the road and I already have an appointment with them. I don't think it's reasonable that I pay you that much.

Would that be fair? I mean I'll give the guy $25 and admit he scammed me if that's what it takes, but if he pulls something like $75 out of his ass after I did the whole thing, then I don't know what to say.

>Reasonable fee is maybe $25, maybe
You can continue to be a faggot and take this position if you want. But I guarantee you no judge in the world will agree with you.

>He said "free." He said the service he was doing was a free check and then I gave him my data.
You have that in writing? Because it sounds like bullshit and, again, no judge in the world is going to accept your bullshit on face value.

But regardless, once he told you there was going to be a fee, you had two easy choices: (1) say "stop, I do not want you to do the work," or (2) agree to pay the fee and leave the work. You chose (2). At that point, any prior statements about free or whatever went out the door.

Misleading would be if he told you is was free, never said anything contrary, and THEN sent you a bill. But he TOLD you there was going to be a fee. You'll get no sympathy here, or in court. You're in the wrong here.

H&R Block charges exactly $25 for the service I did myself which I asked him to check.

How is that not a reasonable fee?

Also he said it was free so I gave him my data. I did all the work for it, all of it. All he had to do was stick it in a mailbox because I thought it couldn't hurt to have him check it if he wants. So he didn't perform any service for me. I did the whole thing. And that I can prove. Meanwhile, his oral contract said it was free and there's no written contract, at all, to back up him claiming he would suddenly charge me a fee for a service he didn't even perform.

No service was performed, no fee was specified. A man living literally down the street form me asked to see my tax return cause he thought he could help me out and said it would be free so I gave it to him. Now he can sue me saying I have to give him money?

What is this?

Not sure what to tell you, I've never made the mistake of giving someone important documents without outlining terms first.
I don't even lend family or friends money without a basic contract any more.
I got burned once and consider the loss as payment for the lesson. Consider what you pay this guy yours, at least you'll only be out $25-$75 and not a few grand like me.

>Him charging a fee doesn't have to be in writing, but him saying "free" does have to be, even though no service was performed since I did the whole thing myself.

>So he didn't perform any service for me.
Checking IS the service. It could get you more money you missed out have you getting less because you screwed up (which means it's dealt with now and not penalized after filing incirrectly).
Regardless of the outcome to you, he has provided a service.

One thing for free was dependent on another service being rendered from what it sounded like earlier, just pay if he asks and then never have business dealings with him again.
This is a lesson, learn from it.

See in my tax forms I included the necessary tax form for direct deposit, so the refund should go directly to my account, but yeah the guy has my address and that's dangerous. Fuck.

You really think it'll only be like $75 right? It shouldn't be hundreds of dollars/thousands of dollars, right?

This is a fucking scam.
Fine.

>How is that not a reasonable fee?
Reasonable fee = reasonable rate x reasonable time. I find it hard to imagine any accountant with a reasonable rate low enough, or any task simple enough, that the loadstar would be $25. So no, you're wrong.

>So he didn't perform any service for me.
You keep saying this, but even if he only spent the time to review your return and confirm that there were no errors, he still expended his time and effort on your behalf.

Just because he didn't save you a million dollars doesn't mean he didn't perform a service. You didn't hire him on a contingency basis; you hired him to perform a task.

Stop with the "no contract" bullshit. If you weren't a retard you'd have noticed that both promissory estoppel and quantum meruit are legal principles that SPECIFICALLY apply when there is NO contract.

Also, I notice how you started to leave out the part where he told you there WAS GOING TO BE A FEE. Faggots like you always change the story or start ignoring facts when you get called out on your bullshit.

I'm done giving you free legal advice. You've obviously made up your mind to be a nigger, and you're not looking for guidance. You're looking for other niggers to back you up. Fuck off.

>Reasonable amount of time.
IT'S 15 FUCKING SECONDS. I stamped and secured the envelope with EVERYTHING in it myself, he literally just has to stick it in his own mailbox. I met the guy in front of his own house, standing next to his own mailbox. That's 15 fucking seconds of work.

How north

>This is a fucking scam.
>Fine.

No it isn't. You have had a service provided for you regardless of whether it produces the outcome you desire.
The lessons you need to learn are a) always be aware of the terms before you agree to something and b) sometimes you pay for a confirmation of something you already knew but were not completely sure of (because why else ask for a second opinion).

Deal with the outcome if your actions as a mature individual and then allow yourself to grow from the experience.

Again, learning to outline terms is why I will definitely make 5% compunding annual interest from the $50k I have lent to a few individuals when they pay me back and why I MIGHT make SOMETHING from the $100k I lent to others IF they decide to pay interest IF they pay me back. Take the cheap lesson now instead of the expensive one later.

Yet you didn't put it in the mailbox yourself, therefore even if all he did was mail it he provided a service.

K.
I think it is a scam and now I want to profit from it. How can I convince people to let me peek at their tax returns before I rape their bank accounts for it?

Yes, but I think the level of work should affect what constitutes a "reasonable fee." $100 for 15 seconds imputes $24,000 an hour. This is not reasonable.

>he literally just has to stick it in his own mailbox

Remember when I said

> Faggots like you always change the story or start ignoring facts when you get called out on your bullshit.

And there you go again, nigger. You didn't hire him to mail the return. You hired him to review it.

Every fucking thread about lawyers, accountants, and other professionals there's one of you faggots. Every. fucking. thread.

Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut. A few isolated places in BC and Ontario I think get Zone B which is $5.50/day, but because wages are way better up north I'd say go as north as possible.

Learn tax code and put out your shingle.

>>I think
You keep using this phrase - stop it. Other people in an agreement do not share your thoughts or read your mind, this is why you learn to specify IN WRITING the terms you both agree to. Don't like them? You can literally cross out things and annotate a contract BEFORE you sign.

>No written contracts involved
>Being forced to pay for a something I never agreed to because I verbally said ok after I was told it was free
>Lecturing me about getting things in writing

>You want this thing? It's free
>Sure
>Give me money now or I sue.

I know the tax code. I just work a full time job already.

Fuck that i hate the cold also wtf is CFIB

>You want this thing? It's free
>Sure
>Give me money now or I sue.
>Well I don't want it then.
>You shouldn't have accepted this thing that I said was free knowing I consider it to have value
>Now I'm gonna charge you after the fact for my made-up value
>But I don't even want it. That guy over there is giving it out for free
>Too late you took it. Now pay
>Take it back.
>I already handed it to you so you can't give it back.
>But it was free.

I work 90-100 hours a week and took the time to file my own taxes, stop bitching because you were too lazy to do it yourself and too dumb to understand that you might have to pay someone for work you asked them to do.

CNIB is the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. Registering with them might help my disability claim, but even if I get paid out I would honestly take not being legally fucking blind and cataract surgery at 32 over money.
I have to get some guy to prod the back of my eyes with a long spoon they jam between the socket and the ball later this year, sounds fun doesn't it?

WHAT THE FUCK I LITERALLY FILED MY OWN TAXES BEFORE CONTACTING THIS GUY.

I spent over 10 hours researching and filing my own taxes with the long form on paper.

I then handed my COMPLETED taxes, in an envelope DONE stamped and READY to GO to this guy. You can't say I'm lazy for not doing my own taxes. I did the whole thing extremely thoroughly before meeting this guy. He does nothing.

NO.

You FILLED OUT your taxes before you ASKED FOR ASSISTANCE with them.

If you FILED your taxes they would have been put IN THE MAIL BY YOUR OWN HAND and not HANDED OFF to SOMEONE ELSE.

If you were so THOROUGH you wouldn't have ASKED FOR ASSISTANCE AND ADVICE from A THIRD PARTY who MAY OR MAY NOT ASK FOR COMOENSATION because you did not SPECIFY ALL TERMS BEFORE AGREEING TO HAND OFF YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to SOMEONE ELSE.

>refund

means you overpaid. lmao fucking wagecucks giving the IRS more money than you owe them so they can make interest off your shekels.

Or that you made certain contributions during the year that offset your taxable income and you are receiving the difference now that the tax agency has all the required information.

Look, I get that you don't like paying taxes, but there's not a lot of ways to legally avoid them for most people, so pay what you are required to and stop whining like it's going to change any time soon.
Or are you going to pretend that if you were in a position to fix it you would, even if you were given a lot if money not to?