Classic WoW General /cwg/

Say Goodbye Edition

How authentic to Vanilla will it be?
>The goal is to recreate the exact experience, for better or for worse.

Is it the original code?
>We've got an old build that's up and running that we're using for reference. Most of this job is going to be infrastructure: making sure everything can work on a more modern setup.

Why run it on a modern setup?
>Classic WoW has all kinds of bugs and problems, it has all kinds of exploits and hacks that everyone knows about. We think we have a way to have the old WoW version work on the modern infrastructure and feel really good. The infrastructure is how we spin up instances and continents, how the database works.

Is this being done by the retail WoW team?
>We’re going to hire people specifically for this job, and we’re going to staff it with people who are interested in bringing back Classic WoW in the best, most authentic way.

When is the release date?
>We actually don't know when we're going to release it. I know that's a generic answer that we give for all of our Blizzard titles, but with this one, we don't actually know how long it will take. This is a massive effort.

>Sources:
eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions
pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

>Vanilla Resources:
db.vanillagaming.org/
vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/Vanilla_WoW_Wiki
realmplayers.com/
vanillaradar.com/

>Guides:
docs.google.com/document/d/1-Z2vplxWZACKmCpw1B8vexKQ2vwjRqFRjcJhHjAxxJg/edit
imgur.com/a/aNm8V#0

>Private Server if you can't wait (also see /lhg/):
lightshope.org/

>Addons:
github.com/ericraio/vanilla-wow-addons/
github.com/AeroScripts/QuestieDev
forums.crestfall-gaming.com/index.php?/topic/1262-modui-complete-vanilla-ui-clean-but-modern/

>Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759242036?page=7#post-127
youtube.com/watch?v=Yt182piyd0s
us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759242036?page=9#post-162
youtube.com/watch?v=0aY-PaThavU
youtube.com/watch?v=K5jC4ZKiiAA
youtube.com/watch?v=fm49IHeqW1o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

balance ret

that's why they'd release after BfA
overall it's a massive boost to subscriptions, which is why they're doing it

second for elemental shaman

any good private server world pvp vids aside from FF?
don't want to watch shit 2006 quality

Dont spriests just use sw:p, mind blast, mind flay rince repeat until oom plus some silence/dispel?

Would a talent deep in the ret tree that gives int and spirit equal to 10% of your str be enough for you?

>reasons give in op image
hahahaha, what shitty reasons. Are the only features which have been added to wow really hairstyles, pets and 15 minute hearthstones? hahaha. DK cant be the only even vaguely decent addition to the game since launch can it?

mind control
vampiric embrace
psychic scream
mana burn
devouring plague/inner focus
but yea
druids are quite a bit more complex with the constant form swaps even as balance
warriors though? no way, jose

>wanna play LH
>don't wanna get burned out

what do

>3/4 of profession recipes
I don't know anything about retail but I think vanilla had more useful and important recipes and professions than anything that came after it. Like a ton of BiS items and resistance and specializations and engineering for PvP

roll opposite faction and class right NOW and quit in 1-2 months

The game release is in 2019 so you have plenty of time to recover from burnout

metrically, theyre probably, indeed almost certainly, correct. Think about it, each expansion added a whole bunch of recipes. However, is crafting as meaningful now as it was then? I dont know - i dont play anymore. The point is that having more recipes =/= better crafting if nobody uses 80% of those new recipes and crafting is neither as competitive (which i dont think it has ever been since vanilla. People havent world pvped over farming like they used to basically since vanilla) nor as rewarding.

Hearthglen launch on friday. 4x and same core as LH

What point would it be in announcing something like rereleaseing old game 2 years before doing it? I mean it's blizz/activsion so they're dumb enough to do it but still.

The only profession that's any good in retail is alchemy and enchanting

Blacksmithing, LW and Tailoring don't make BiS items anymore because fuck you that's why. Jewelcrafting and inscriptions literally had their main fucking use removed from the game. Engineering only makes "fun" items and the items that are actually useful don't have engineering requirements.

People still need potions though and as far as I know they haven't removed enchantments yet.

yeh desu

Asmonbald and the project 60 stuff is cringe.
Also, 6 lvl 60s to clear BWL? Nice scaling.

hard to say
maybe one non-gayming marketing exec was sooooo bitter about the demand for old content instead of new content that he had to do the one thing in his power to annoy fans

what if spirit increased the amount of healing/damage you did as a priest / paladin because you need to pray to the light (spirits) to cast your spells

they removed really removed gems?

bit gay

Blizzard employees talking about balancing classes on Classic forum:

us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759242036?page=7#post-127

purists btfo

It got too complicated for the retailers

Some of the best gear was crafted.... Like the resist gear needed in Naxx was a lot of crafted peices. Needed a BS to make legendaries.

>community manager
>relevant
topkek

Isnt this going to be PvE server only?

what do JCs even do now
I also realized that I had a stroke in my last post

You scared me for a second there, good joke

why the FUCK would it be PVE server only

let's be real. that comment was not released without the team behind classic letting it go out. even the cms are stupid enough to open up that box without really wanting to get discussion flowing on it.

i doubt it
they were already btfo'd by the guy right after with armor
no way are they going to alter armor sets like that

I could of swore i saw a general that had a screenshot of a blizzard employee pointing to a slide that said only if you mark yourseld for pvp will you he effected by world pvp?

Let's fix Vanilla.
>Class Balancing
>Raid/Dungeon re-tuning to bring it on par with the new class balance and more mechanics then 'don't stand in fire'.
>Heroic Dungeons or Keystone style dungeons
>Heroic raids that award slightly better gear and are much more challenging (think Mythic)
>Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds
>Retune gear to the stepping stones of dungeon -> heroic/keystone dungeon = normal raid -> heroic raid

Instead of playing the same boring shit that people have theorycrafted for years let's revamp it and make it more enjoyable. Instead of having two button rotations and hardly any bosses with more than one 'mechanic' we can get a challenging and rewarding game that gives gear based on skill rather than time investment. The only people who want 'pure Vanilla' are those who want to be handed the best gear by afking in 40 man raids and battlegrounds

that's for the next expansion

this is how I'll be pullin up on alliance crackhead faggots in 2019

youtube.com/watch?v=Yt182piyd0s

There will be way too many players to only have one server and Blizzard has to know a lot of people will be turned off if carebear is the only option

>These decisions will really be made by the kind of discussions we see here. The community will truly be what shapes the direction of Classic as we move forward, together.
us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759242036?page=9#post-162

The samefagging and copypastas in these generals is pretty crazy, I don't even know if it's (You) bait or genuine shilling

So, legion

no. i do not want to have to read new guides or do anything difficult to get the best gear in the game. this is a terrible idea. just let me afk my way to the best gear in the game. you can play legion if you want something challenging. im only here for the social aspect and because i prefer a walking simulator.

What the fuck is wrong with that game its literally r3ddit now

somebody call an ambulance. alex is about to have a fuckin stroke.

>Blizzard has to know a lot of people will be turned off if carebear is the only option
I can only hope world pvp is allowed and r3dditors dont ruin it

2004 purist faggot reporting in.
If they want to make hybrid specs of all sort be viable and useful with small (and I mean, SMALL) changes to the classes but make gear more meaningful and better itemized, I won't cry foul.
Again, Warriors had 3 viable specs (arms pvp, fury dps, prot tanking). They should be the yardstick of useful options and choices that all the other classes could be measured against.

>the face of the average vanilla purist as they read this

need to shop an alexensual logo in place the the hillary one

>nervous_pepe.png

i'm a vanilla purist and i don't see anything wrong with polling the playerbase for certain game design questions

mostly because i am reasonably certain literal hordes of late 20 something year olds are going to resub en masse and manipulate the polls to make sure neo-wow players don't ruin this

PURIKEKS blown the fuck out

alex discord having a fucking melt down holy shit gonna need more popcorn

LMAO p server kiddies destroyed

>mostly because i am reasonably certain literal hordes of late 20 something year olds are going to resub en masse and manipulate the polls to make sure neo-wow players don't ruin this

Those are the exact people still playing legion who want to ruin classic

>implying any adults browse the forums

Honestly surprised they haven't rolled the gathering professions into crafting yet

How about Blizz releases some servers exactly like vanilla and some with certain adjustments to class balance and other minor things like respec costs

All accounts created after 2.0 launched should not be allowed to vote in any poll regarding Classic

reduce respec costs for classes who can't farm
ie, priests
increase costs 1000% for mages

lol. no.

this

yeah and the majority of players would be all for that. they're not saying they want them to change the fundamentals of the game. just bring weak specs up to par and other qol. the thing is the very vocal extreme minority (less than 5% of the potential playerbase) thinks it should be 'pure'. which is ironic because private servers are FAR from pure with a guesstimated database for values and 1.12 skills/talents.

priests can farm dm east very easily for quite a lot of money

>Urdnas - Today at 8:23 PM
>We need to make Alex go in and make a thread, then everyone upvote him so it becomes crystal clear who has the stronger opinion
they're complaining about manipulation but more than willing to use it to get their agenda pushed

>mfw nostbabbies say they'll go back to private servers and never touch classic if it isn't a 1:1 copy of vanilla

allow me to very slowly and very carefully repeat myself

i am assuming the classic team will at some point create a poll. the news that blizzard is running a poll on classic servers to implement dual spec or decrease mana cost for buffs or whatever it is that clearly a cancerous change, WHEN THAT POLL IS CREATED, i am assuming every fucking video game centric internet forum and subreddit and discord in existence will relay the news that this poll is currently ongoing, thus causing every late 20 something year old who played vanilla when he was 13 will immediately buy a subscription, and as many subscriptions as it takes, to rig the votes so that the neo wow normies don't ruin this.

the diehard vanilla fans have way more to lose than the normies, and by now most of them will have careers, savings, disposable income and i'm sure there are a lot of guys willing to pay for a dozen subscriptions to keep classic from being tarnished.

link a vid

Why don't people complain about frost being the only viable mage spec?

>Esfand's SoTC does 200% more damage than it should
>Still can't pull middle of the pack in raids
There are nostbabbies who think that hybrids were in even a remotely good shape at the end of 1.12

The virgin retail babby

The Chad vanilla enthusiast

Those specs arent meant to be strong why dojt people understand this. The game was meant to be played in large groups, not to farm dailies and afk in neutral hub or a hub with guards too stront to fight.

>playing with all of the poorfags, chinese and bots
>blizzard shuts them all down within a few months of classic launching
>greatest cuck of all time

Who the fuck wants the same old 100% worked out bunhilla. When we can have a completely new one that still keeps the social elements which is the only reason people prefer bunhilla than retail. Have the same core class design with minor number tweaks as well as better realized spec trees. You will get a better version of your game and you will REE unti lyou actually buy it cuz you will regardless and then you will love it so just shut the fuck up already.

Alex on suicide watch! LOL

The discord and r3dditors are the ones who ruined wow and made it what it is you retard.

They aren't going to poll the 15 year olds of the general forum, Jeff Kaplan pretty much said people don't know what they want. By community they mean "thought leaders" like Asmongold and his gang who are all pretty much saying NO CHANGES or at most "eh if you can toggle new models I don't care". There's nobody with a following who's genuinely enthusiastic about classic saying they want prot paladins in raids. Again - they specifically implied it was a folly to go to the forums and ask people if they want a convenient thing or an inconvenient thing in the first place.

This. It was the teenagers growing older and becoming normalfags that killed WoW and had Blizzard add endless amounts of """"QoL"""" features that basically remove any progression or timesinks from the game because they had to get jobs and didn't have all day for video games anymore. Those are the late 20-somethings that still play WoW and the ones that hate how Classic & TBC was.

For me I played vanilla & tbc. I didn't even like tbc that much. I played wotlk and got to like level 75 on my main and tried out a death knight for a bit and just got bored and unsubbed.

>vanilla
>all patch content is fully researched and documented due to the game being fucking ancient, which is a bad thing
>retail
>all patch content is fully researched and documented due to blizzard's overuse of PTR, which is a good thing

Why the fuck are people whining about people already knowing vanilla in and out as if retail isn't the same exact shit? Raids get cleared and guides get made MONTHS before they're even fully released.

you really have no idea what you're talking about so i'm just going to quit replying at this point

There are actually people who think they'll be able to develop ~14 years of QoL changes in 2 years

I mean slippery slope/foot in the door all you want. 2 years is BC, and what did QoL did BC have that vanilla didn't?

More addon support?
Biggest quest log?

I mean Worst Case Scenario, you've gotten questie, which everyone on Nost uses

youtube.com/watch?v=0aY-PaThavU

most of the people i played vanilla with have little to no interest in doing it all over again. they've moved onto other games or gotten careers or families. most do not have time or simply do not want to go through the vanilla grind again. most actual vanilla veterans dont pine for those days. its the kids who have rose tinted goggles and have never raided or even played original vanilla but have some odd obsession with it.

if blizzard wanted to bring back the players from 2004-2006 they would need to revamp the game into something more enjoyable that would be F R E S H and not the same stale shit thats been theorycrafted for over a decade.

no i do know what I'm talking about though and you're one of those safe space fags. Discord/secret chat room culture is what is ruining the new generation. A bunch of self important losers trying to wield power. That's why people can solo heroic dungeons in legion and there is a bunch of gimmick classes in it now.

o neat

not sure if asmon is actually frustrated or not

is alex our guy?

>Asmongold said AoE looting and class rebalancing would be good for Classic
IT ALL RETURNS TO NOTHING
TUMBLING DOWN

being loud and obnoxious has always historically been the best way to get your point across right guys haha r-right

>Alex - Today at 8:32 PM
>if I hear anyone saying to be constructive
>I'm gunna ban you
>it's time to stop
>enough of this dumb pussy shit
>we need to be loud and obnoxious
>starting now
oh boy, its full mongoloid time.

yes

fuck asmongold then

Has he provided reasons for his claims or is he merely making random baseless statements?

Proof?

the average frogposter/feelyposter desu

its autism time boys

youtube.com/watch?v=K5jC4ZKiiAA

youtube.com/watch?v=fm49IHeqW1o

AHahahahahahaha

Well I disagree with you there as a vanilla player. The vanilla design philosophy of working hard to get your gear and levels and not having everything handed to you on a silver platter with heirlooms and paid-up-max-levels is very attractive.

There is literally nothing interesting about modern WoW to me. Not a single thing. They can keep throwing more and more shit into the blender but it will never have any sense of achievement to any of it as long as people in the servers alongside you are just buying max level or using heirlooms and spamming dungeon finder. It's a cancer on the face of MMO gaming.

Yes a large chunk of the retail autists that collect trannymogs and mounts and love sharding, lfg/lfr and having zero server community are people who evolved from those old vanilla teenagers growing up into people who have 1 hour a day to play on weekdays, but WoW has also lost like 15x as many subs since tbc/wotlk with these changes than they have retained after all this time. There will be a lot of people coming back for WoW Classic, I have no doubt about it.

Time or gtfo