Work from home opportunities

Let's get a list of some places you've worked or are working at specifically from home online that give a decent income or even places that are just work on your own hours odd jobs. Let's get some money. I'll start

Metaverse Mod Squad -
modsquad.com/join-the-mods/

New Prospect Marketing -
npcontactcenter.com/career-opportunities/

Audio Transcription -
rev.com/freelancers

Online tutoring -
tutor.com/apply

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fQtsdLB5MhQ
payroll.intuit.com/support/kb/2001238.html?cid=1099_em
irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/td_9496_final_reg.pdf
reddit.com/r/WorkOnline/comments/4joew3/revcom_is_a_scam/
pissedconsumer.com/company/rev/rev-com-rev-captions-rev-transcription-rev-sucks-rev-is-a-scam-20151110732050.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rev has been pretty decent, but as a recently there's been a sort of paycut. Depending on how fast you can type and sync (Captioning videos pays way better than transcriptions) you're looking at maybe between 8 to 10 an hour. If you're a low life NEET you can make 500 a week easy if you type your soul out, 300ish if you decide to put in an 40 hour work week. Probably the best transcription job on the web so far that won't make you wanna kill yourself.

u forgot buying eth

What?

What is captioning?
I can't find anything on the site exactly about what that is.

Do you know if they have any work for non-americans? I can see that I can take the test, so I'll try. Usually most online things show me empty tables instead of work, I'm from Poland.

Captioning is the like what you see on television when you turn on subtitles, you're the guy who types it all out and syncs it up to the audio. More often than not it's mostly crap, but sometimes you get really good tutorials, documentaries, TV shows, old movies. You actually end up learning a lot and making a few bucks

Not sure if they're taking overseas applications, but it can't hurt to try.

Starting out is rough, until you caption 60 minutes you make like 20% less, the next layer you basically get the scraps of people the shit the regulars usually don't want, but sometimes there's some goodies in there.

The real money comes in when you've done over 1,200 minutes captioned, which will take a few weeks to a month depending on how dedicated you are, but that's when more money comes in. You can see early on there was a lull, then I started to earn more. The only reason I'm not at a steady 350 is because I moved recently and so much of time is dedicated to that (also got sick, but whatever).

Still it's a good job to make a living if you're an anti-social, autistic NEET.

I do 3D modeling/rendering and some graphic design from home. I charge $40/hr. I find jobs on craigslist and also work for a creative staffing agency which finds me jobs. Not everyone has this skillset but it's what I do.

I want to get into 3D modeling but mostly out of hobby. Where do you start? Should I learn how to draw first and then go into 3D or can you start 3D modeling without being proficient at drawing?

i somehow failed the rev test

Word to the wise, spend as much time as you can doing it. Be as precise as possible. I think you can try again in 6 months or so. Had a few friends do it and they failed, Rev gave no reason why, but the few who spent the whole day making sure everything was right got in.

Also read their dumb stupid style guide. Twice. After you get accepted, they sort of let you slide on some stuff, but the app is where they look at that shit.

Yeah I did it pretty quickly desu, but still thought I was at least 95% accurate. I might try again sometime.

Digital marketing
You need to learns you Google analyti s

Well I went to architecture school which isn't really the best way to get into 3D modeling since an Arch degree costs a lot and takes a long time.

I'm not very good at drawing or sketching but I think my 3d modeling skills make up for it. I can 'sketch' in 3d better and faster than I can draw.

The problem I think with learning any kind of skill without going to school or getting a job is that it's really, really hard to discipline yourself to learn it unless you really enjoy doing it. I've gotten much better at 3D modeling and rendering since I left school cause I've been getting paid.

I want to learn stuff outside of what I'm getting paid for like animation, maya, and video editing but it's super hard to find the time and motivation to do shit I'm not good at and not getting paid for.

Not trying to discourage you, you can become an excellent 3D modeler just from free videos on youtube probably. It just takes a lot of time, practice, and discipline.

Another factor about school is having dozens of other people that use the same program all learning at the same time. If you get stuck or frustrated you can ask someone sitting next to you.

The problem I ran into is that I became the best modeler in my class and pretty much in my school by the time I graduated, and I don't know anyone better than me in either Rhino or Sketchup. I'm honestly not bragging, I wish I knew people better than me so I could learn from them, I've been a bit stagnant for a while.

Thanks for your honest answer. I've been an autodidact for quite some time so the discipline part shouldn't be a problem.

> I want to learn stuff outside of what I'm getting paid for like animation, maya, and video editing but it's super hard to find the time and motivation to do shit I'm not good at and not getting paid for.

I completely understand that. I've been freelancing as a web dev for a long time and there are overwhelmingly a lot of new things that I'd like to learn but in general I mostly stick to the same area because of the same reasons you mentioned.

However, 3D modeling has been on my mind for a long time and I just really want to pick it up so I guess I'll start today and try to make a habit of it by practicing an hour minimum until I get better at it.

Thanks once again.

If you fail the rev test, can you just take it again with a different email/credentials?

I don't know if you can, I remember there being a two-step process. It's been a while. By all means you can try it. My paypal email and the email I use for them is different, so it won't be tied to that.

Not worth it
You either get incrediy shit pay for absurdly difficult work or you need extensive tech skills. I'm currently writing for textbroker and I make like $400 a month tops. If you can code some six figure salary jobs are available and you might be able to monetize an instagram account or something. Also being a girl and camwhoring is possible but men can't into it

I've read a lot of reviews that say Rev works out to less than minimum wage for a North American.

Your public library might have a program that gives you free access to Lynda.com courses.

Udemy also has some really cheap courses. Usually around $20, sometimes if you sign up and watch for deals you can get one for like $10

American minimum wage is top class where I live.

>look at site
>$0.40 per video minute
Fuckin hell average wage where I live is less than $0.06 a minute. Even if every single minute of video takes four minutes to caption and they jew me out with taxes I'm still making a honest living.
Gonna apply right away

I went to school for arch degree and was always the kid drawing.
I worked in property management during school and also did some of the labor.

Now I work for myself biding landscaping jobs and home renovations.

I don't always work from home, but working from home 24/7 is just as bad as working in an office 9-5.

I still get to draw and make 3d models, but most of the hours are managing the projects, making calls, buying supplies...

You have to make sure you can sell your "art", be it furry's, 3d renderings or construction drawings.

With this Rev thing... you think it would be good for expats on the move?

If I can squeeze out $250 a month that would really help my travel nut.

It all depends on what videos you do, how old/difficult they are, and your efficiency. Average typer could make 5-6 an hour, fast typer 8-9, 125+ WPM 10-12. I'm in the fast range, some guys I've seen crank out 10 minute vids in less than 45 minutes.

From what I read there's taxes taken out, then again this was based on some forum posts, so take that as you will.

Initially starting out, maybe not right away. There's still kind of a learning curve to formatting. Being honest with you, might take a month before you can consistently make $250, expect anywhere between 50 and 100 until then unless you're really ready to buckle down and spend literally between 40 to 80 hours a week doing captioning.

I'm not a shill, but I like working for the place. I've hear horror stories of people getting fired without cause even with their metrics being good (You get graded on every third or fourth video you do). But it's a decent job, paid every Monday at around 9AM EST and you never have to leave your hours. I've tried other caption jobs and it sucked mondo dick, this kinda did at first, but once you get the hang of it, power through and realize that you don't have to fucking talk to anybody it's a decent living.

Meant to say no taxes taken out, no W2's or what have you. Straight freelance pay.

that looks nice, have full time job but still have lot free time

any tips on what to do/not to do on the test? aside from the things you said earlier, taking your time, take the whole day etc.

/whats some advice you wish you knew when you first started vs now

Always imagined it'd work best for an office job with lots of lulls. Makes you look busy and you get paid.

Read their style guide at least twice. I'll post a quick example of what good breaks look like in a second. There's some stuff in there that you need to know, formatting is a crucial. They love sticking you for that shit. I'll give you some important ones to stick to.

For numbers 1-9 you write them out (one, two, three, etc), 10 and above you can just put the number. The only exception is when it comes to money, if you hear "seven dollars" you write it as $7. Never end a line with a contraction (and, because, to, the, etc). Do not use name's ([John]) unless you cannot see them on screen. If there's text anywhere on the lower screen, use that up caret (^). Also make sure to remove any stutters. They're looking for readability, not verbatim. Try to look for natural breaks, if there's none then just aim to stay in the green zone. Every new speaker gets a hyphen. If two people talk at the same time, try to put them in the same caption line (shift + return). Look for good places to break the captions naturally.

youtu.be/fQtsdLB5MhQ

That's the video I had for my test, don't know if it's different now. but here's how it should look. consider every space between everything below as the next line.

- My guest tonight, she's an advocate

for girl's access to education, is the youngest
person ever

to be nominated for a Nobel peace prize.

Her new book is "I Am Malala:

"The The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up

"for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban."

Please welcome to the program, Malala Yousafzai.

(audience applauds)

Nice to see you.

(note for the next line you put in that up caret I talked about for on-screen text)

- We are human beings and this is the part

of our human nature.

That we don't learn the importance of anything

until it's snatched from our hands.

Okay, hope this helps.

In the US this kind of stuff most certainly counts as self-employment income and needs to be reported on taxes. Good luck not getting audited.

wow, actual help/advice on biz lol. thanks a ton for the advice man, really appreciate it.

They do not give you any tax forms. They only pay via paypal and I don't think you get tax statements from paypal unless you make something around 20,000. But you're right, wouldn't wanna fuck around. I just started in January. Here's their official response to it.

Since all Revvers are independent contractors, Rev does not withhold taxes. As an independent contractor, you are responsible for declaring your income and paying appropriate government taxes.

Unfortunately, we are not qualified to give tax advice or interpret IRS or local regulations. You should consult an accountant if you have any questions.

When you’re ready to do your taxes, head over to your Earnings History page to get a summary of your weekly earnings.
For Revvers living in the United States
Due to a recent change in IRS regulations, we do not send 1099-MISC forms since payments are made via PayPal. Even if you made more than $600 last year, any tax information or paperwork you require should be provided by PayPal directly.

More information can be found here:
payroll.intuit.com/support/kb/2001238.html?cid=1099_em

Here is the relevant tax information from the IRS website:
irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/td_9496_final_reg.pdf

This is for my NEET brothers who need a break. I've only been on Veeky Forums for a total of three weeks, but I made some good money and got good tips since then. I'm doing this just so that somebody else who's struggling their ass off trying to get some cash can at least work from home, get that peace of mind. This has probably been my most secure side hustle and more people should at least know about it and give it a shot.

How many hours a week are you doing to get that kinda pay?

Yes. This.

BUMP

I might want to quit my job and move back in with my parents if I can do this.

Eight hours a day, 30 minute lunch and minimum two breaks. Been kinda slacking lately/getting up late. Also if any of you are truly serious about this, get a foot petal. Will make you feel like you're coasting through videos once you're in the swing. But again, I'm gonna keep telling everyone this, the first few hurdles are a slog. I touched on it but you've got three tiers to this.

Rookie: You basically get the shorter videos, anywhere between 1 minute to 15. You're paid 25% less and you're graded on all your jobs on a 1 to 5 scale. What they're grading is accuracy (correct words used), formatting (adhering to the style guide), and alignment (syncing the words to the audio). Big tip for syncing, they're very liberal with it. In the test you make sure that shit is perfect, but I'd recommend you make sure it's perfect while you're in the rookie level, just to be safe. If you keep all your grading metrics at a certain level (above 4.4 for all of them) and caption a total of 60 minutes you get to reach the next level:

Revver. Here's when you start getting actual videos that're like documentaries, tutorials, movies, youtube channels, tv shows. But the catch is they're usually the ones that the people on the next level don't want, AKA the scraps. But more often than not there's good stuff in there, if you look. But honestly most of it usually is crap. This is gonna be the slog part because most of the time you're gonna be short on jobs and maybe have to deal with crap videos. But once you caption 1,200 minutes (will take about a month) and your grades average to 4.7 or above for accuracy and 4.5 for alignment and formatting you get the to the promised land:

Revver +. As soon as videos come in, they're in your feed. These are the videos that are usually the fun ones/easiest ones to do. But getting here takes a while, like I said, around a month if you're really dedicated.

>That's the video I had for my test,

>Eight hours a day, 30 minute lunch and minimum two breaks
Monday to Friday only right?

What are the chances they will fire you?
If they do can't you just sign up again
under a different paypal account?

How much do you make a month?
The website says like 245 a month, I thought you were saying you can make over $1000 if you do 40 hours a week?

Just all around tips for those who do make it. Put before that reading the style guide is a must, because formatting is what they're looking for. Any college lectures or tutorials make sure you put - [Instructor] at the start if it's just a voiceover. Any non-lectures, use -[Narrator] or - [Announcer], comes down to whatever you feel.

Before you go for speed, always, ALWAYS be accurate, at least starting out. You get behind on grading, it'll fuck you up. But if you keep at this job, it'll just become muscle memory and you can just zone out and listen to music on low if you find videos with clear speakers.

Once you're out of your Rookie phase, start being liberal with your alignment. Start out by setting the playback to 150% and doing your alignment. Once done, play it back and see how well it matches it up. Adjust if needed. They said they allow for about half second delays, but try to always have the caption just slightly earlier than slightly later. Once you feel comfortable with it aligning, crank it up to 160, 170, 180 and keep going until you can do it reliably at 200. Alignment has been the best part for me.

Try to snag larger projects because they're usually more profitable. I mean that strictly in terms of time spent. I used to do a lot of tutorial vids in the 6 minute range, and I could do them lightning fast, but I wasn't making much. Sweet spot is 23 minute videos, hour long ones if you're comfortable.

The last thing I would say is take breaks when you need to, walk around. Know it sounds fucking stupid, but this stuff will take a toll on you. Hearing a Pajeet drone on in your ear will make you fucking angry, the angriest you've ever been if you hear him for hours on end. Take some breaks, but not too long as it'll fuck your flow up. If any more tips come to mind or if there's any questions, I'll post 'em here.

What if there are videos with long voice breaks in between?

Do your still get paid by the minute?

Also how long has this company been in business?
Is there a chance they could go under or reduce what they pay out?

>Monday to Friday only right?

Yeah, but sometimes I do a couple on the weekend if I have time. Pay period ends on Saturdays at about 7 EST. If I see something that I know I can do by then, I usually do if it's a big job.

>What are the chances they will fire you?

I heard horror stories about people getting fired for no reason, but I'd say as long as you're consistently good and actually doing the work well, you should be fine. I think I heard someone say that on the application that they didn't put they were willing to work as long as they'd want, so try to say you'll work full-time. I'm sorry if I don't exactly how the application process worked, it's been a while.

>If they do can't you just sign up again
under a different paypal account?

Not sure, but I know that the email you use for the application doesn't have to be the same for the paypal. Mine are different, so I would guess you could be able to sign up with different emails, but again I'm not sure.

> How much do you make a month?

Around 1,300ish on any given week if you actually treat it like a job. I posted my pays earlier, the ones where I got 350ish are the ones where I wasn't being lazy and actually working eight hours.

> The website says like 245 a month, I thought you were saying you can make over $1000 if you do 40 hours a week?

You definitely can. I've seen some people make about 500 a week from working well over 40 hours, so it's up to you and how NEET you are and capable of shutting yourself out from the world and typing all day.

Thanks

Can you answer the question about the long term sustainability of the company?

Sure do. There are the lucky times where you get videos with giant chunks of silence. Don't have to caption them and they can make some 20 minute videos equate to about 10 minutes of actually typed out dialog. It doesn't happen too often, but more often than you think. Movies are usually the best when it comes to this, long breaks in the action and why they're the most sought out.

I wanna say maybe four years now. Honestly, I couldn't tell you. They could go under, same as any other company, but they've got some decent clientele. I've seen Microsoft videos, Machina videos (take that for what you will), and loads of website tutorials.

Funny you mentioned pay, as of a few weeks ago there have been some paycuts, a big topic about it in the forums. According to people that've been here for about a year, the pay tends to fluctuate on slower months. Apparently they may pick up, they may not. The gist is they do have the ability to reduce how much you get paid per video, but the videos themselves are structured where the pay per minute is based on how difficult the captioning is and/or how long the video has been up. Most videos average to about 60 cents per minute, with the lowest ever being 0.54 and the highest being 0.90, but the formula they use for making them that price is whenever the fuck they feel like it, it seems.

bump

Can you do this rev thing whenever you want, or do you need to work a certain amount of hours?

prostitution. incalls

Nevermind fuck this caption test I will just use Uber for weekend money

Bump

reddit.com/r/WorkOnline/comments/4joew3/revcom_is_a_scam/

Tons of reviews of how trash rev is. Anyone can confirm? Also any other transcribing sites that pay better than rev?

intradesting...i only plan on doing this for a couple months anyway, think im gonna still apply

Buy pivx and earn by staking. Your best bet right now.

of course it's a scam
dont believe the fake hype like

also, do you really think someone making money through rev would advertise it to others who will be direct competitors?

>reddit.com/r/WorkOnline/comments/4joew3/revcom_is_a_scam/

Not that I would know, but about 6 months or so ago they changed the tool to a more efficient one, and most of the comments are over a year old now. These were the horror stories I was talking about.

Know the Veeky Forums mentality here is to be a bunch of paranoid and untrustworthy faggots, but hey it's up to you guys. This is for people that're interested. Being too good to be true is one thing, but I said so many times that the first few months are gonna be the worst slog of your life. The people complaining about the pay probably did it for a few weeks and have up, like I almost did. The only reason I kept at it was because it was literally this or nothing. Still it's up to you guys, all of this are judgement calls. This ain't for everybody, just knowing that somebody who's been lurking this thread and got in is good enough incentive for me 'cause I was there too.

You're probably one of the losers working at rev. kys faggot
pissedconsumer.com/company/rev/rev-com-rev-captions-rev-transcription-rev-sucks-rev-is-a-scam-20151110732050.html
To others: you will work hard and they will fire you out of nowhere. They are probably trying to avoid paying taxes or insurances so they bet on a high turnover.