LotR is a fantasy

LotR is a fantasy,
but how realistic is the armour design if one were to compare it to real history?

Have anyone done an analysis on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QWFX0G_IW_I
youtu.be/h8F6TLwpjns?t=23m48s
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fantasy armor/10

The books pretty much just speak of chainmail so I guess its pretty practical.

Movie LOTR, only Gondor is wearing sensible shit.

But I crave details! Or a place were I can read and learn

I had the movies in mind. I wish
Lindybeige would do a video series on LotR's

It doesn't really matter.
Fantasy aesthetics should aim to reflect the themes, tone and character of those they are a part of.
Obsessing over 'muh realism' is Veeky Forums level autism.

You mean compared to historical elves?

Well mainly elves but any race would be interesting

....the point was that LOTR does not take place in a historical setting and thus can't be realistic or unrealistic.

>This tired meme again

I know LotR wasn't real, but they based the elves armour off something. But if there isn't a lot of research done on historical elven armour (unlikely but I can't find any) then anything, like historical dwarves. What did midgets wear into battle?

>LOTR is historical

So when did it happen?

Before writing existed in the British Isles.

There is writing in LOTR though.

>LotR is a fantasy,

LotR is Christianity with another cover on the book.

In the earliest days, before the Noldor returned to Middle-Earth, I think some form of scale or plate mail was made in Valinor. I think Feanor fought with the balrogs wearing such an armor. iirc, it is said in the Silmarillion that dwarves invented chainmail, but from the point elves and dwarves really interacted with one another, the books only ever speak of chain mail.

That's not what I said you stupid nigger.

The point was that just because it's not historic does not mean that basic logic does not apply. Basic logic like for example the evolution of warfare

It's very clearly anti-industrial and not much else

>It's very clearly anti-industrial and not much else
>and not much else

Lolno

>The point was that just because it's not historic does not mean that basic logic does not apply.

Basic logic applies, yes. As it does in our world, where there has existed an enormous variety of arms and armor, some of it quite impractical. So it's hard to say a fictional setting gets anything "wrong" unless it's self-contradictory, and that's before you even consider that magic exists and most characters aren't even human.

Before and during the beginning of the fourth age.

LOTR is deliberately philosophically Christian (or really, Catholic), but not theologically. Nor is it an allegory. So really you're both wrong.

but LOTR is basically takes place in Fantasy England so it's theme friendly to have non retarded armor

>As it does in our world, where there has existed an enormous variety of arms and armor, some of it quite impractical.
Any examples of those? I'm curious to see some failed creations. Also, make it from Europe, excluding 20th century. In other parts of the world they made shitload of stupid things, but I never saw similar list from Europe. Well, maybe except some two handed ceremonial swords/weapons(but noone would fight with ceremonial weapon, so they are not "impractical", as they were not created to be used in battle.

>Also, make it from Europe, excluding 20th century.

Why?

>The point was that just because it's not historic does not mean that basic logic does not apply. Basic logic like for example the evolution of warfare
As I said here the point of fantasy is not to simulate a crude semi-realistic world, it's about exploring fantastic themes, tones and ideas.
Practicality and realism only has as much worth as the author lets it in his setting.

Not really realistic but close enough to give a good impression.

Pic related has scale upper leg protection for no good reason other than aesthetics, the smiths are probably quite capable of making something like plate. He also has tassets over this scale armor which seems kinda pointless.

His breastplate descends a bit further down than the navel which hampers mobility a little, Gondor armour has the same flaw.

Mail protection for his armpits, elbows and neck was apparently to expensive for the King of Rohan. Strange because his son does wear mail to cover those gaps.

I should mention that I feel they drew some inspiration from the amount of cover Polish Hussar armor provided rather than strictly medieval shit.

Not compare, but just speculate if the designs makes practical sense and are not just made up and would never really have been designed in a medieval world because they are useless.

He looks really good for a 71 year old man.

What if he has mail under the red shirt?

The chaffing and pulling of his armpit hair would make him cry all day.

The "it is fantasy" is a shitty argument

I said why
>In other parts of the world they made shitload of stupid things, but I never saw similar list from Europe
And we are talking about quasi-medieval fantasy, so i don't want to see some retarded tank designs. I want to see retarded armours and weapons from Europe.
So, do you have some examples?

>And we are talking about quasi-medieval fantasy, so i don't want to see some retarded tank designs.
Hm?

Why does WH always spawn the most retarded shit? Do the makers use their childrens drawings as inspiration?

>muh fantasy world must have verisimilitude because reasons
>isnt equally tired of a meme

Please, friend, play me at this game.

Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=QWFX0G_IW_I

Good thing there are only 12 tanks
The how doesn't matter in WH, which makes it very enjoyable and really does the Fantasy aspect well

It is a fantasy film, you are always going to get style over historical accuracy, most of the armour is inspired by real-life styles, but the films follow their own logic.

You should watch the making-ofs to get an idea of just how detailed the armour is in LotR.

youtu.be/h8F6TLwpjns?t=23m48s

They had two full-time blacksmiths making all the armour and weapons in much the same way as they did in real life. The guy that designed all the armour is an enthusiast that wears the real thing, he knows how it all works and interacts with eachother so you get a fairly realistic representation in the films. Of course, the chainmail is made of plastic and a lot of the armour was over-designed with spikes and whatnot, but that is to be expected in a fantasy movie.

Having said that, sometimes real life is stranger than fiction (pic related).

So was Boromir the Nicholas II of LOTR?
A capable leader, brave, courageous and for the most part loved by his country, who met his tragic demise due to his hopeless ambitions and arrogance?

Meh I dislike "bigger is better no matter what" that 40k tries to push hard meanwhile WH fantasy is a lot more digestible although orks are the best fantasy race

Even though it's just a fantasy world people often want there to be logical explanations for it, even if the explanations involve magic. So when you got armor that is intended to be used by men fighting hand to hand you want the armor to be realistic according to the laws and rules of said fantasy world and unless you did something to the laws of psychics or the human body the armor will look rather similar to our own.

I always find it hard to care about any fantasy world where you don't care about how. It's like being in a rpg where both sides god-mod each other. Not that I mind if others like it.

Warhammer do well for being balanced, unlike Er*gon.

>Good thing there are only 12 tanks
What's the reason for there not being more? Was the materials needed super expensive and impossible to produce in big enough quality to start an industrialization like the Brits did?

But really 40k Orks are the best because how the orks work is explained but it is the most fantasy shit ever

Isn't 40k all about being ridiculously over the top?

It's extremely expensive, time consuming, difficult, and above all else the guy who figured it out died with his secrets
It's hard to make a replica because certain aspects of the steam tank don't make sense without completely deconstructing it, and if they do theirs no guarantee they can put it back together properly or even learn enough to make a new one

I've seen the apprentices at least 3 times. As doc's about the process of movie making, they are unmatched.
But what I mainly was wondering about, is if the armour designed for the film would actually function.

Kinda what this user did with the Theoden armour

It would work but it is not optimal. It's very much form over function with large unexplained gaps in the armor.

And leather, lot's of leather for some reason.

The pep talk he got from Gandalf probably helped a bit with that.

Probably wasn't meant to be but it really is now which makes it fanfic tier

Oh but it was meant to be over the top, basically all 80's pop culture, it's tried to become more serious in recent years though

If you're referring to Eomer, that's not his son.

Rohirrim=Anglo Saxon aesthetic mixed with Gothic elements

Nothing really ridiculous and it's pretty much all practical.

Same goes for their culture too, btw. It's all an attempt to link AS's to the Goths, who he wanted to believe were the Geats of Beowulf (but he didn't really), thus solidifying LOTR as a rooted mythology for England.

It could have been so aesthetic.

This is Vendel thread nao.