gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
unity3d.com/learn
hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Random_effect
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for baking normals maps.

Textures a meme. Just do good lighting.

Holy crap, you have absolutely no idea how all of this works.
wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking

yeah seriously, that guy needs to just follow tutorial or something

Post your high-poly and lowpoly and i'll bake you a normal map that'll melt your face off.

K. Heres my high poly.

Which do you think does a better job of creating a sense of discovery and exploration:

A linear series of levels, each with many areas to explore, and a non-linear structure (e.g. Champions of Norrath, Baldur's Gate);
OR
A non-linear series of levels (pic related) where individual levels have multiple exits to other levels.

What are the pros and cons of each approach? What kind of games work best with each structure?

Alright, now to implement all these in the game.

And my low poly. Can you make it work?

Baking good lighting with no textures is a bitch, it makes all the artefacts super obvious.

epic

How do I learn UNity from scratch.

>Lighting artifacts

Obviously he isnt going to be using Unity, so this isnt an issue.

That just isn't true

Literally describes what i drew on the picture.
I guess the baking rays don't take into account the smoothing groups.
See pic. On the left, no smoothing groups, rays are parallel to the polygons.
On the right, it takes smoothing into account and tilts the rays so there's no seams in the baked texture.
Probably just a checkbox i forgot to check like said.

I deleted it.

do you use trello?
what is the scope of your cards? do you have a card for each major component of a game or do you break everything into smaller cards? just tell me about your workflow

Who needs trello for 1MA when you have a brain.

Lets bake.

>
>
swapping threads
You should finish your game user. Even if its like an hour and its free plenty of ppl will gobble it up and give those sweet exposure bucks

Okay.

I don't currently use it, but I think it is wise to break down tasks as much as you can (within reason). It is really hard to measure progress on a big feature like "Implement multiplayer" unless you do this. On the other hand, it is sometimes not useful to break down tasks like this before you start working on them. For example, it might be easier to rough out major features like "lighting" or "AI", but when you start working on them, add cards for smaller portions like "pathfinding", "AI accuracy", etc.
In the end, the more detail you have, the better internal documentation you will have to go back to.

Holy shit, this makes me so unreasonably happy right now.

Panic status almost finished. Scariest knight in the world

Columns to categorise things like to-do, game ideas, assets, bugs, suggestions, level changes.
I generally try to keep components to a single card until it becomes more confusing. Labels on everything to denote type and importance.

I dont know why people think normal maps are hard. Crazybump does it in seconds and looks great.

that looks like shit though and the lighting is awful

Oh i just realized the rays go from the cage INWARDS towards the high and low poly models.
Yeah then i have no idea how to solve the seams issue aside from smoothing the low poly out.
Pic related is the problem i'm talking about. Not the pink smudges, but the visible polygons.

unity3d.com/learn

probably not going to get very far if you can't even figure that out though

You must first invent the Universe

I think they meant decent normal maps.

>Crazybump
Please fuck off.

Is there a market for low-poly 3D games like there is with 2D nostalgiabait? I'm trying to decide how much effort I'm going to have to put in to my modelling.

This looks like all of your edges are hard.

No, all the facets belong to the same smoothing group.

how much longer until you start making a living on gamedev? That should be easy enough, right?

Hahahahaha

neat, how did you make that ? photoshop pluginn ?

>don't know what to work after the jam
I guess I'll do LD in December, but then what?

Guys Paypal is scary, I don't want my money to be frozen what do.

Oh boy yeah, better to be prepared for when those hundreds of thousands start rolling in from your unity platformer right? Hahahahaha

Here, take this

see

you don't use paypal

Well, you say so, but you can basically see your wire on the snippet you posted. Blender is a fucking mess.

don't be a retarded cuck that launders money through it and you'll be fine

whoops, wrong thread friendo

wouldn't you be giving up a shit ton of potential sales if you do that, many people won't buy something unless paypal is available.

Its crazybump. and probably hate it because its so easy to use.

No, i hate it because retards like you think it gives them a normal map and not a piece of trash.

i think it's just going to confuse out friend, user, even more since what he really needs is a normal map baked off a high poly model, not from an image

What feature would you want in a game where you break into homes and murder people?

Quick question, does gamedev as a sole source of income make more, less, or about the same as US minimum wage?

Get a main project that isn't dependent on the whimsical comings and goings of jams

Ask Notch

give up crime and live a normal and productive life.

>download unity standard shaders
>StandardRoughnessShaderGUI.cs is not included
>it is used by the standard shader (roughness setup)

VR + rape + sex mods

>break into homes
>murder people

Hitman clone basically ?

No. Hitman is about disguises and finding assassination opportunities in large levels.

This is small levels with only a handful of characters. The challenge isnt just killing the victim, but doing it in the way a scenario prescribes.

So it's just hitman challenges but worse.

Darkest Dungeon.
But no RNG.

Would it sell?

Is gamemaker studio 2 good for a JRPG?
Any decent tutorials out there for it when it comes to that?

I feel you man. I can make a jam game, but every time I try to make a main project it never manages to go anywhere. It's like the "forced" time frame helps keep the scope in check, otherwise I always dream of big scope games.
I think what I'll do is take the jam game that I enjoyed the most/got the most downloads, and try to polish it up and add a bunch of content.

Just get the artist and le ebin voice man and it literally doesn't matter what kind of gameplay is there.

hearthstone without rng
would it sell?

>a smaller hitman with no freedom to explore different ways to kill
what's the hook here exactly

if you're a novice, better get godot. you'll have to make ui from scratch in gamemaker while godot has it built-in.

>Darkest Dungeon
>no RNG

so dark souls?

You need to explain better. Because what you're saying just sounds like a comic book with animations.

>using an extreme outlier, more extreme than most lottery winners as a serious example
Hahahahha oh god the delusion

So a turn based rpg based around movement and party lineups? Probably.

How much money do you need to host an official tournament for your game?

I'm gonna be rich and you can't stop me!

>implying a question like that deserves a serious answer

I like designing UI's actually so I don't mind that aspect. Thanks for letting me know

hearthstone has rng? i thought it was a card game

ah, so hitman with a limited scope. wise choice. it's good to limit your scope as a 1MA.

I think it'd be great if it was a stealth game. one of my favorite stealth games was Satellite Reign, which was based on Syndicate (one of Pete's famous games}. SR adds stealth to the game in the form of the infiltrator that is basically a ninja that can sneak past guards, or stealth assassinate them if he can sneak up behind them. there was also hacking and fighting and whatnot. But if you wanted to go the stealth way you had to basically solve a puzzle of hacking the right terminals to open doors cutting power etc. I'm sure there are youtube videos about it if that kind of thing interests you.
Also, the game Gunpoint had some interesting mechanics if you want to check that out.

Oops forgot my game

The fuck. How are these games even remotely compareable besides having "Dark" in the name.

>shuffling a deck isn't rng

even if you knew nothing else about the game, of which there is an absurd amount of randomness, the very notion of shuffling a deck makes the game rng

well, if that's what you like. i kinda struggled with coding all the margins/anchors/layouts/callbacks utility logic and all the shit you have to code to have a gui that's not a fucking start button exit button. just dragging containers into windows in godot like in Qt Designer is just so good.

Gunpoint felt like a complete waste of potential, the linking mechanics were never used in very clever ways.
I feel like the dev couldn't be arsed to do good level design and instead relied on the players making their own fun with unnecessarily complex links instead of the very basic stuff you need to beat the levels.

Well if it saves a lot of time whilst still offering the same level of creative freedom then I guess Godot is the way to go.

>about a thousand dollars every 2 weeks
>love the people I work with
>basically paid to show up
And now to dig into my relaxing and fulfilling gamedev H O B BY

of course the fucking deck is shuffled. what rng is there besides that?

somehow your emphasis on capitalizing and spacing the word "hobby" leads me to believe you might be lying about the first part of your post

You've... you've never played hearthstone have you? At least a third of the cards have a random effect.

hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Random_effect

Random targeting, damage and there are lots of effects that call random spells and creatures, not just random things from your own deck but from the entire game so it's just pure RNG and not something you can reasonably control.

good to know. i actually never played it.

i think a real card game (that could be played IRL without dices) would actually sell

still, it had some interesting mechanics and a cool sci-fi noire setting

>deal 1 damage to a random minion
Oh yeah, such fucking RNG. Retard.

Godot probably offers more creative freedom, while still making GUI creation easier.
In fact the Godot editor itself is built with the same nodes that you use to make your game's GUI.

no need to get abusive now

>when did i write this comment and what does it mean???

>defending Hearthstone's RNGfest with stupid cherry picking
Just look at all the "summon a random minion/spell" cards that are core in any good deck.

np prob mang. have the concept art

>commenting