Monster Hunter General - /mhg/

>Monster Hunter: World
-MH:World is coming out for PS4 and Xbox One Jan 26, 2018, and eventually PC. pastebin.com/TRFRGFn1
↳Public Beta on 12/9, 3 days, 3 hunts: G. Jagras, Barroth, Anjanath, PS4 only, requires PSN+
↳Paris trailer 10/30: youtube.com/watch?v=64ql8jQBgsw
↳Demo Gameplay 8/22: youtube.com/watch?v=WBg6KnkpaXU
↳Weapons: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_ALSpmx2A8sAdeuYKMnrCt0xCpwPyPbC

>Quick Reference
-MHXX Update 1.2.0 w/ Eng Patch v4: my.mixtape.moe/glpowg.png
↳3DS to Switch Save Data App: my.mixtape.moe/ezwmnj.png

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243
XX, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)
Gen, Objective: Gathering
4U, Target: Fishing

Tags: MHWorld,
MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, Stories, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zo5l-1r8OMo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hello?

When in doubt, take a bite!

Anime four for world!

accidentally posted after the new thread was linked
4>3>MHO>2>X, also didn't play 1 or frontier.
MHO was essentially 3U sans water and with a couple of casual crutches (notably arts, which initially would only build up before a hunt ended if you took forever or got hit a lot) and about on-par with 3 but elements backwashed from X (which borrowed heavily from MHO in the first place) lowered it in my eyes. 2 and X represent two extremes of design philosophy that I strongly dislike (or rather, X's clashed badly with the traditional MH elements and should have just been a fully detached spectacle fighter spinoff; I don't mind spectacle fighters but it just didn't work well at all), 3 and 4 got the balance right. 4 is higher than 3 because I value good weapon movesets more than good monster selection.

Lance > IG > Hammer > most of them, my opinion on these shifts a lot and I really like all of them > GS >>>>> SA

Best monster is indeed Deviljho. That's not an opinion but objective fact. My favourite monster is Amatsu or Kushala, I'm torn.

Most aesthetic female armour is any kaiser in concept art, rebellion ex in-game.
Most aesthetic male armour is also rebellion ex.
Rebellion ex was truly the apotheosis of MH armour design, looking like believable and realistic armour made of mundane materials, having a radically different but extremely aesthetically pleasing design for each gender and still incorporating parts and motifs from the monster it is made from as pauldrons, cloaks, gauntlets, etc.

Paolumu's /ourfurbait/, sorry boyo

What good collabs are possible now that we're back to sony(multiplatform)?

Shouldn't you be posting some shitty bat and getting banned for it?

Capcom insider here
Ichinose is already hard at work on MH6

bloodsouls dark borne

Nier Automata
Nioh
Sackboy for palicos
Gravity Rush 2
Persona 5
Bloodborne

frontier is ok

>ichinose reintroduces Zinogre and classifies all other new fanged wyverns as fanged beasts

>literally already have a platform-exclusive collab announced
can't wait for three platform-exclusive collabs per platform
especially can't wait for PC to get Souls collab and piss off console players

>PC collab is TF2
NOOO

What makes you think it would be PC only and not at the very least Multiplat? Considering it all started on PS3 with DeS

>the PC version is going to get team fortress and skyrim collabs

I'm not that guy, dude

Technically it started on PS1.

>Souls collab
>PC only
What?

Anyway I'm betting on a Nioh collab at least for PS4
Master Chief for Xbone would be pretty neat, as long as there's a grunt costume for kot

Because this industry loves fucking with the consumers.

>scout LBG set with entire mobility skills (sprinting with weapon drawn, sprinting while healing, constitution)
I can't wait!!

maybe if it still was 2011 sure

Kings Field?

>4 is higher than 3 because I value good weapon movesets more than good monster selection.
then you should be placing 3 higher because 4's weapons are fucking trash my man.

On the big 'if' that there will be some collab in the PC version the only choice there would be with Valve.

And it's not like they have anything else, at least with how collabs can be silly and cartoony TF2 would be the one that fits the most.
Not like they released anything else other than L4D after it.

Bloodborne

Keep trying to force this meme, I'm sure someone else will pick it up eventually.

>Exclusive collabs on anything but PS4
Pipe dream. It's only releasing on PS4 in Japan. At best they will probably push over any collab content that isn't tied to Sony-related IPs. But considering the preferential treatment the platform is seeing even before the game's release (exclusive collab, exclusive Beta) I wouldn't get your hopes up.

>the game where only half the weapons were even usable has the best weapons

Even valve's games aren't PC exclusive.

PC exclusives are strategy games, horror games and simulators, almost exclusively. If there's a PC-exclusive collab, expect something multiplat that is big in Japan and strongly associated with PC like Dark Souls or Elder Scrolls (I don't think TF2 is big in Japan but I could be wrong), or something from a horror game.

The platform Capcom has been releasing their PC ports is exclusive to Valve, though.
What other PC-exclusive franchise would even have enough brand recognition for Capcom to bother getting collabs with?

I'm really good at this game.

Literally every weapon is usable in 4U. You're thinking of FU. Weapon strength also has nothing to do with the quality of the moveset. Weapons needed various kinds of damage buffs and nerfs in 4U, but the movesets were the best they've ever been, with the exception of LS (guild LS in XXX is an improvement since you can sideways fade slash from a standing start and combo a fade slash into a poke, plus it doesn't have the fucked up spirit gauge mechanic that means you should almost never actually go to red gauge unless you're sure the hunt is about to end).

>pretending that every MH game doesn't have shit weapon balance
>pretending like weapon balance matters for anything but speedruns
>pretending that speedruns are a reliable measurement
But sure tell me again how Bow sucks, weaponlet

FU is way more balanced than 4U, you don't know what you're talking about.
Every weapon is usable and feels functional in FU. The same cannot be said for 4U.

>pretending like weapon balance matters for anything but speedruns
Doesn't matter for speedruns either, assuming you mean TA, since every weapon has its own category. If you mean actual speedruns, as in full runs of storymode from intro to credits, which there's like five of in existence for the entire series, then yeah weapon choice matters though funnily enough the top weapon classes of each game don't appear in those because it's more about what requires the least menu navigation, least grinding to upgrade and what has the best weapon selection within those parameters.

>Every weapon is usable and feels functional in FU.
You're thinking of 3U.

Who said anything about bow, actual shit weapons that feel like garbage to play in 4U are lance, GL, SA or LS. This isn't even about speedruns, it's just that too many of 4U's weapons are just plain shit.

If every weapon isn't usable and doesn't feel functional to you in 4U you're just really, really bad at the game. I say this as sopmeone with hundreds of hunts with GL and HH in 4U, and at least 120 in every weapon but SA, which I have never liked in any game.

>Doesn't matter for speedruns either, assuming you mean TA, since every weapon has its own category.
Which nobody actually gives a shit about because everyone wants to set the records with the best weapons. The weapon class separation was a necessity because the game is so hideously imbalanced, but nobody actually respects it.
There's a reason why almost every TA run in XX these days is with Brave HBG/LS/GS, and not just whatever weapon they like.

They're technically usable, but you must have really low standards to think that there aren't any weapons in 4U that just outright fucking suck.
And if your only criterion for whether something is good enough is "it's technically usable" then you shouldn't even be allowed to comment on anything.

I switched between Lance and SA primarily in 4U and made out fine
Maybe you just suck

which weapon is the best?
which one is the worst?

>the best iteration of lance by far feels like garbage to play
I'll give you that FU had a less clunky GL, and X improved LS slightly, so those aren't literally the best, and I can't speak for SA, but on Lance you're simply wrong.

>Which nobody actually gives a shit about because everyone wants to set the records with the best weapons. The weapon class separation was a necessity because the game is so hideously imbalanced, but nobody actually respects it.
Not the case in 4U TA. There's more with GS because it's a lot easier to play so more people can compete in its TAs, but that's about it.

>There's a reason why almost every TA run in XX these days is with Brave HBG/LS/GS, and not just whatever weapon they like.
Because those are easier to play and XX's playerbase is more casual. Last I checked LS and GS were only like the fifth and sixth best weapons, but along with brave HBG (which happens to also be the strongest) they're the easiest to play, which is why there's more runs for them.

Great sword best

Charge blade worst

Again, just because you can finish every quest with those weapons doesn't make them not smoking hot garbage.
Is your only measure of quality seriously whether a weapon can still kill a monster within the 50 minute time limit, no matter how shitty the experience is?

>which weapon is the best?
my favorite weapon
>which one is the worst?
your favorite

>which weapon is the best?
My weapon
>which one is the worst?
Whichever this guy likes the most

Is it shameful to use the HBG, or is this the natural end state of all hunters?

Yes? Just because a weapon is weak doesn't make it bad. There's nothing wrong with a weapon being weak, having strong and weak weapons means there's something for everyone.

haha

>YOU ACTUALLY THOUGHT YOU WERE HAVING FUN WITH YOUR WEAPONS? YOU FUCKING RETARD, THERE WAS NO FUN

not that other user, but this is a dumb argument
even the "shit" weapons have a difference of maybe 4 or 5 minutes, 10 at the absolute worst, in kill times if you're not actually awful at the game

>ABLOOBLOO NO WEAPONS BESIDES IG KILLS MONSTER AS FAST AS BIGSWORD THEY'RE ALL SHIT
>uhm are you seriously saying that all that matters is whether a weapon can kill something within the 50 minute time limit and not how it feels??
I'm sensing some hypocrisy here. Every weapon besides SA which always feels like shit feels good in 4U, if you're having trouble you're just shit. Dunno how many times people have to tell you this before you get it through your head, though you seem to be catching on since you're starting to change your tune to something more in line with "times don't matter, how they feel does." Now you just need to realise that they FEEL fantastic in fourth gen.

>even the "shit" weapons have a difference of maybe 4 or 5 minutes, 10 at the absolute worst, in kill times if you're not actually awful at the game
Is this somehow impressive when the good weapons only need 5-7 minutes to begin with?

Adding to this, literally every weapon has faster kill times than the hunting horn, and that has never not been the case

>how fun the weapon feels is only determined by its moveset
>not how much of a punch the individual moves pack
>it's still fun even if I'm hitting with a wet noodle!
this is you

Everyone who plays more than a few hundred hours and isn't a legitimately autistic/OCD mainfag that wants only one weapon on their card uses HBG sometimes. It's a different kind of challenge and it feels empowering. Most people even use GS at some point because sometimes you want to play easymode.

Times do matter, it's just that it's pointless to bring them up to you shits.
And I'm saying that no, not every weapon feels fantastic in 4th gen. Some of them absolutely do, but not all of them.
Besides, if you're speaking about 4th gen in general and not only 4U you also have to include 4 and Gen/XX., where multiple weapons actually do feel like absolute fucking garbage to play.

when did I say anything about impressive?
I'm just saying the argument is pointless, since if you're not shit at the game, the kill times shouldn't be a big deal to you

and HH is a fun weapon, so who cares?

Why does it need to be impressive?
If you're playing solo, everything you do only matters to you.
If you're playing in a group, the only thing that matters is not dying like a dipshit before the quest ends in 5 minutes or less

>Times do matter
How?

>rathalos bangs an elder dragon
>seregios and astalos can only score with some battered old green hag

5-7 minutes vs 13-15 isn't that big a gap, seems fine to me.
Again, why are you so hung up on kill times? As long as the monster dies, does it matter?

Nothing feels like hitting with a wet noodle in 4U besides SA though. It's the only weapon with a high hitrate AND shit damage. HH and GL are both weak but that's because they're slow, you still feel strong because when you hit a monster with your stronger attacks it frequently staggers. Lance literally never leaves the monster's side and nothing is as satisfying as sprinting away from a charging monster only to swing back around and dunk it with a backswipe finisher, except maybe doing it by sprinting past a limping monster and killing it. When LS is actually in red it's on par with the best weapons.

>Most aesthetic female armor set is Daimyo Hermitaur

>TAutism

I love Garuga.

it's just one fag who thinks TA kill times mean anything

>taking literally twice as long to kill a monster doesn't matter in a grindy game
>especially in a game that introduced a system where you're going to be grinding shit for 200-300 hours for one weapon
Listen I'm not saying that weapon movesets don't matter, just that they're not ALL that matters, and that some weapons don't even have that going for them.
I don't even speedrun, I just don't like feeling held back by my choice of weapon because the developers are incompetent. I don't need to use the most broken shit, but I also can't see the fun in using clunky, weak shit.

I hate garuga but it's grown on me a bit because I like some of its weapons.

Garuga's theme is shit

4th was garbage and made Garuga kinda bad.
At least the G-rank armor and updated weapon models were absolute perfection.

Nothing wrong with HBG
Especially in 2ndGen where you can use environmental traps to your advantage

Man for some reason, lance feels like a wet noodle on XX. I'm using a raw lance with max white and unless i hit specific weakness, it feels i'm using a butter knife

I forgot this game was even grindy considering even using a midtier weapon you finish 95% of the grind you'll ever do in the first hundred to two hundred hours unless you're terminally shit or insist on grinding the HP-inflated event quests solo, and then generally go on to play the game anywhere from five hundred to a few thousand hours. Grinding is actually such a small part of Monster Hunter, it's basically the tutorial.

>system where you're going to be grinding shit for 200-300 hours for one weapon
>using GQ's as if they mean anything
user, those are entirely on you
they're not mandatory, they're not part of caravan or hub quests, so why even bother bringing them up?

X/XX weakened the hitstops of all every weapon, especially GS

>everything you do only matters to you
Yeah, and how fast the monster dies matters to me.
I like getting better at the game to kill monsters more quickly. It feels rewarding.
Shit weapons aren't fun or rewarding. Broken weapons aren't either, but shit weapons are even less so. Sorry, faggot.

>At least the G-rank armor . . . [was] absolute perfection.
I hate it.
youtube.com/watch?v=zo5l-1r8OMo

Also hate how the monster itself looks. Agreed otherwise though, one of the few things X/XX did right was reverting Garuga.

>>taking literally twice as long to kill a monster doesn't matter in a grindy game
You don't have to use the same weapon to grind, autist.
Even then I take weapons I'm not so good at on grinding anyway to incentivize getting better at killing with it
>especially in a game that introduced a system where you're going to be grinding shit for 200-300 hours for one weapon
You wanna hear something crazy?
I intentionally grind for weapons with shit stats just because I think they look cool. And then I USE them
I killed my first Dalamadur with the dragon pizzacutter swaxe

>Also hate how the monster itself looks

That was actually a good thing though, the excessive hitstop in 4U made so many weapons feel like you were swinging them underwater or some shit. GS having hitstop is one thing, but playing LS in 4U felt like your sword was stopping for a coffee break every time it came in contact with the monster.
Literally half the reason why the weapon was such garbage.

Garuga's design is Frontier before Frontier itself even existed.
The fact that MHF1, the game that introduced that shitposter bird, was Ichinose's first foray into MonHun tells you alot about his taste in monster designs.

Even with striker finishers? Because those do a lot of damage and usually come after one or two of the smaller hits, making them about as likely to stagger as a GS level 3. Striker lance zinogre TAs are pretty funny to watch, they triplock the monster half the time.

>You don't have to use the same weapon to grind, autist.
He's a mainfag talking about how most of the weapons were "unusable" in 4U and then backpedaling when people correct him, and trying to use TA times as evidence. He obviously has no concept of one person using multiple weapons, when even in TA different weapons have different matchups and rankings have a lot more to do with how many good matchups a weapon has than how strong it is in general (and 140 TAs strongly favour hit and run, and IG is just completely 100% busted in all use cases in 4U because its MVs are extremely overtuned). Even HH has some good matchups relative to other weapons outside of 140s, like Zinogre.

>gunning

>Frontier before Frontier itself even existed.
Incoherent meme remark #1
>shitposter bird
>Ichinose

>Two carts and 25 minutes to kill a G3 Zinogre with a Hammer

I want to die. I just couldn't hit the head consistently without getting hit back and stunned. It didn't help that it was on the larger side so I couldn't hit the head unless it was charging up

cringe

>not gunning

>Again, why are you so hung up on kill times?
Didn't mention them at all but
>As long as the monster dies, does it matter?
Yes? there's a point at which the monster in one single quest overstays its welcome and I feel like I'm fighting my own weapon more than the monster. But again, I didn't even mention kill times, just the impact of a weapon's hits which is indirectly related to kill times at best.

>Nothing feels like hitting with a wet noodle in 4U besides SA though.
Is that so? I felt pretty shit using LS, GL, HH, and depending on the monster DB. Regardless, no weapon should feel like hitting with a wet noodle.

Frankly they should remove all weapons that dilute the pool by occupying other weapons' niches and increase the quality of the ones with the most defined roles.

>mainfag
I use whatever weapons I happen to find fun. I just don't find underpowered weapons fun.
I tried playing LS, SA or GL in 4U, and I fucking hated it.
I tried playing CB or GL in Gen/XX, and they fucking sucked to play.
Because half the time, a weapon isn't just bad because of shit numbers, but because they're too slow, too cumbersome, too clunky, or are simply held back by poorly thought out mechanics.

G rank zinogre is hard the first couple of times you fight it. For some reason I have some kind of mental block and still can't avoid getting hit by it for shit with GL, but it's one of the most fun easy G rank hunts with all the other weapons for me at this point. You definitely get used to it and learn its tells fast. Hammer is fine for it, but the weapons it feels like it was just made for are guard+2 lance, which can counter, poke, counter, poke, counter its paw slam combos, and HH, which seems to magnetically track its head.

>I'm too shit to play with a handicap
Do you only play games on easy mode?

Yep.

>weapon selection, something that should be motivated by strategic advantage or personal preference, should be a difficulty selection and some weapons should just be the designated easy or hard mode
Do you have any idea how retarded that argument is?

>Because half the time, a weapon isn't just bad because of shit numbers, but because they're too slow, too cumbersome, too clunky, or are simply held back by poorly thought out mechanics
That only applies to GL, which still feels fun when you learn that it is in actuality a weaker version of what GSfags claim their weapon is, a high-skill weapon with multiple hard to pull off but rewarding timing-based attacks. All it really needs is a big shelling damage buff and for shelling damage to scale on raw like CB phials. It's literally just lance but worse in every way when played optimally because shells simply don't do enough damage.

No, user. I play some games on hard mode. Do you play any game on hard mode? Even the ones where all it changes is the amount of tedium involved?

Thanks. I just gotta learn to land my charge 1 hits. They could probably hit Zinogre's head regardless of its size