streamable.com/6uf80
streamable.com/manr7
streamable.com/uypy7
streamable.com/h42co
streamable.com/4gtv0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

tfw want make 2.5D shit game with sprites in shit scripting language like lua
halp

What if someone made a game that combine the excellent gunpla of Call of Duty, the exploration of Assassins Creed and the deep RPG elements of Persona 3?

I have a notepad with 5 things written on it as a designer. Who wants to work with me to create this game? I need an artist, a coder and a music guy. We will finish it for Christmas.

Low quality bait

What does "metallic" actually do in a PBR workflow?
It looks like it just tints the reflections with the albedo color.
How is that different from a normal specular map?
It seems like PBR is basically just a weighted phong reflection model.
Diffuse is renamed to albedo. Specular is renamed to metallic.
Roughness just controls the weights themselves.
And the weights need to sum to 1 for the conservation of energy.

6th for having a nice OP pic but being too slow

>graphics

It's not bait, it's satire.

Post it.

>what is BDRF

I got some nice math gifs from that thread too

You do realize phong uses BDRF right?

Who is tetra

Yes and nobody uses phong BDRF for PBR since in that case it would be phong shading.

what thread

I know. I'm asking what the difference is. It seems like its just weighted phong with some fresnel added into the mix.
As in, Specular + Diffuse should be equal to 1
Is that it? The whole PBR hype is just about that?

>PBR hype
Is this like the "depression" devs in this thread seem to be afflicted with?

dude who worked on this thing called Tetrachrome for years, then the release of Automata made him sperg out and give up, thinking the similarities would make him fail in the cuhrayzee waifu market

streamable.com/6xv5p

tetradev.tumblr.com/post/158419034984/living-in-aaas-shadow

literally who and how is he related to agdg?

We had a similar existential crisis when gungeon came out, can relate. They shouldn't have given up tho.

Hahahahahaha, he would've failed, but not because of the other games.

Well, he went missing so I guess he's not related to agag anymore.
He was a poster in another chan's agdg community.

Did gogem drive rotatedev to suicide?

For some reasons Godot doesn't process my action released input:
if event.is_action_released("ui_left"):
print("stuff")

This doesn't print anything
But the action pressed works
Any idea why it does that?

Hmm I will 1MA a generic AAA game.
Oh no an actual AAA dev team made a better game before I could get off the ground. What bad luck.

Good thing they did drop it

People would just view it as a 'cheap cash grab automata knock out clone'.

That's the problem with big ambitious generic projects. Indie devs need to stick to a very specific niche, something that an AAA would never think to do, and be damn good at it.

Yes, that's why he's hated here.
Just filter him.

some people are just looking for reasons to dropping their game i see

>Any idea why it does that?
You're using the wrong engine.

Similar AAA games will live in my shadow!

god is a cube dev?

>they
he 1MAd it. And well, spectacle fighters were a niche when he started working on it. And Automata wasn't even announced back then. I really feel for the guy. It's an unfortunate set of circumstances. He really wanted to just like make good game.

Now it's desputed whether he's alive at all. It hit him hard.

>Indie devs need to stick to a very specific niche, something that an AAA would never think to do, and be damn good at it.
some people don't want to make pixelshit all their lives, ya know?

I'm neither a math guy nor a CG pro but there are different equations you can use to determine the color of a pixel depending on the surface normal and light direction and each looks a little different, with the computationally more expensive ones looking more realistic. UE4 and Unity seem to use GGX as opposed to blinn-phong because it's kinda an industry standard and it looks "physical" enough for real time applications.

Here are some common BDRFs:
graphicrants.blogspot.de/2013/08/specular-brdf-reference.html

>spectacle fighters were a niche when he started working on it
No they weren't.

You could have just said the comic was about fear trigger dev

they still are desu

At it's core it's all about energy conservation, with the result in an ideal implementation that your materials will always look good/plausible no matter what kind of light situation you introduce.
Also metallic vs specular is mostly about reduceing texture channels because 99% of materials are just either metalls which don't have any diffuse but colored specular or non metalls which have a diffuse color but their specular is always white.

I forgot to post this here. I got around to making a pickup sprite for the berserk rune

In Unity, is it more efficient to uses GetButtonDown/Up, or just GetButton?

5 years and not even close to release,dude had to expect this outcome.was he unlucky that an AAA company had his same idea?sure but honestly i dont see huge similarities but a girl with a sword and a gun wow! such creativity

Each of these serves a different purpose. You use the one that accomplishes what you are trying to do.

>spectacle fighters were a niche when he started working on it.
DMC isn't exactly under the radar.

Devil May Cry 4 release date: 2008. If it was that popular of a genre, you'd have more than just what Platinum released.
We do not speak of DmC

This is the code I'm working with here.
pastebin.com/vuyXT0AZ

Which one is more efficient?
I feel like the second is better, because less variables and only one if statement, but I'm basicaly reusing code.

>We do not speak of DmC
Wow infallible argument there.

>Which one is more efficient?

Nobody cares.

Is the $150 unity certification course worth anything

in terms of efficiency, the second one. As the else statement means it doesn't even check the parameters unless the first fails.

However, it's miniscule in terms of game performance. I'd use the top one.

not a Devil May Cry fan, are ya?

I care, fag. When you have 1000 of these things, it 'll matter.

Any reason why top one? More transparent and easier on the eye?

Imagine you'd put all the time asking irrelevant question into developing your game instead.

Where's YOUR 60fps game then, huh?

I actually managed to find a bug in top code style. When certain buttons are pressed and released in right order, it's possible to snapshot Focus to "Down" while the key isn't held down anymore! And that requires you to press the Focus button again to fix it!
I bet you would just not bother with such small bug and leave it, which tells me all I need to know about your dev skills and your game. If you even have one, that is.

Bump

I'd use the right version to begin with and don't bother for performance. Don't do micro-optimization. Write code that makes sense and works.

Then do it.

I changed my mind. Bottom one. Then you're just doing the single check intead of checking the same variable twice.

>He really wanted to just like make good game.
Change the chick's colors and make her not a fucking robot and nobody would compare it to automata.

>some people don't want to make pixelshit all their lives, ya know?
This has nothing to do with pixels.
The medium isn't the cause, but rather the gameplay mechanics.(Though it doesn't help their theme was practically automata)

How constructive is it to get yourself in an indie gala type bundle? Is it worth the effort or do you not even get any exposure?

A tomato's mechanics weren't special in any way. All he had to do is drop the robot girl.

The cute girl is the soul of a game

when you're done selling the game and you want people who won't ever play it to buy a copy.

>all he had to do was change all his assets and do something else~

DmC happened because DMC was niche and wasn't selling Monster Hunter numbers. Capcom shit canned it in order to do a reboot in an attempt to get huge sales figures. It didn't work obviously but that's why they did it.

Bayonetta 2 is where the genre really went main stream and even that wasn't any where near popular, it was just exposing Nintendo kiddies to it and giving PC games Bayo 1.

The genre has a lot of hurdles that it can't casualise without destroying it's self. It's not like Dark souls where the difficulty is a meme for pattern recognition. This is a genre where difficulty comes from applying a massive amount of skills at a moments notice.

tl;dr CUHRAZY games have more in common with Arena FPS than they do mainstream titles

but that doesn't exist.

>oh no, he had to change one model
>that was like 100% of his game

Need to make lotsa animations, lots and lots and lots.

>implying

It was 100% of the reason why I'd ever play it.

>spend ages perfecting your main character
>base entire game and lore around how she's designed
>jus change it, ez xD

>>base entire game and lore around how she's designed

In general, and that's my observation, every dev here who obsesses over ONE THING will not make it.

Remember when plaguedev would show his main character's animation for weeks? Remember that one dev drawing that one tree waifu for like, a month? Vampire loli dev?

Jerking around the ONE GOOD THING for months will get you guaranteed replies, but it won't get you a game.

What if that one good thing is boob physics in a game about boob physics?

my game was built around that perfect example and its dead

>spend years on boob physics
>/agdg/ fucking loves it
>feel on top of the world
>"ok, have to actually make the rest of the game now"
>...

Honestly? He should just have kept going, in a way I think he was lucky, he spends years working on one game, and right around the time he is going to release it another popular game in the same genre that he can ride in the tailcoats off of comes along. Would his game have gotten any attention if he just released it and Automata wasn't a thing? Of course not, he would have gotten like 3 sales at most.

Besides, even if people think he's ripping off Automata, I doubt anyone would give a shit, Stardew Valley is pretty much a complete ripoff of Harvest Moon, a franchise with dozens of games, that has existed for decades, and that hasn't earned it a lot of criticism.

Even in the off chance that he got a lot of negative press, that's still better than no press at all. In the words of Donald Trump's ghost writer: "good publicity is preferable to bad, but from a bottom-line perspective, bad publicity is sometimes better than no publicity at all".

>all his assets
Change one texture, more like.

>making a game
>not selling the tech to the senran devs and making bank

My observation is that every dev here is gonna make it

Ah gee thanks man, guess I was worried over nothing. Think I'll take the rest of the week off and work later.

Hey, my dudes. Just before the previous thread died, while browsing it I saw you talk about some DX/SS2 hybrid. I thought to myself "awesome, that's something I once worked on".
And lo and behold, an user posted my work as his own progress. I's really flattering but also kind of saddens me to inform you that currently, this project is on hold. I can answer your questions, though.

Additional background: I am the diablo clone dude, making Beelzebox. The webm you saw was my earlier project, something I want to return to but only with a complete re-write. There was just too much spaghetti code. Oh, and I did show this project on the Discord, so I guess some of you saw it already.

The weapon models are my first ever attempts at modelling. The blocky character/arms is 100% placeholder, just a bunch of resized cubes held together with character joints.
streamable.com/pbmaw I was fucking around with mirrors too, with limited success

I did plan to actually introduce some animations into the project. For experimenting, I grabbed a Motoko model from First Assault and a copy of iPi mocap solution. Here are the early results, from almost a year ago:
streamable.com/r8v30
streamable.com/reih6

The music was played in the background to prove that mod music is still relevant. The track I used is the great Alexander Brandon's "The Shell". He used to host it as a free download. Now I can only find this youtube link.
youtube.com/watch?v=VipS3AePbw4

Yea that's a real problem.
The devs get too caught up in the (You)'s that it makes them feel like they've already accomplished their goal of making the game.

>base entire game and lore around how she's designed
>lore
>there's a robot chick and she fights robots
Deep lore right here.
Not sure how the fuck is game based on her design, it's a painfully generic action game, put any character with a sword here and it would play exactly the same.

He just thought Nier was a good excuse to drop his overscoped game, that's it.

Cont.

I think SS2's inventory is an absolute masterpiece of design. I'm still amazed I don't see this style of inventory more often. And I don't mean just tetris inventory - the real-time interaction with the environment a'la Ultima Underworld feels great.

Other than the obvious Deus Ex influences, the game was/is also supposed to be a love letter to Tom Clancy titles of old, including Splinter Cell but also Thief by extension). You'll notice you can shoot out lights. This would influence the AI (if there was any), should you play stealthily or guns blazing.

The project was made in Unity. I was actually quite surprised how well it handles the shadows. I still need to raycast to calculate the light attenuation on the light meter, though.

Thanks! And unlike some games *caugh* Siege *caugh*, the bullets actually land where the laser points, as long as it's in point blank range - beyond that, bullet drop kicks in.
Some more sniping: streamable.com/kmhxw

I played around with the RPG aspect of this, vid related. I'd like to mix in elements from other genres but I have nothing to show for it.
streamable.com/xu5ew
streamable.com/6uf80

sorry if spam

Thanks. I'll be glad to return to the project once I'm done with Beelzebox. It's my dream game really. I even started the aforementioned re-write but only implemented some prototype features, like Raven Shield-style leaning and geographic location:
streamable.com/manr7
streamable.com/uypy7
streamable.com/h42co it actually worked with the NASA starscape. Here's polaris seen from the northern hemisphere.

My idea was to have basic mechanics all set up, with 1-2 maps as a vertical slice and not much of a story besides some sort of an introduction. Maybe some crowdfunding after that, should it be well received.

And I thought you meant scope as in the gun optic, lol. On that note: While this breaks the rules of physics, you could actually make the on-screen scope as small/big as you want. Vids related.
streamable.com/4gtv0
streamable.com/kmhxw

Worrying is no good. Wondering is much better!

sounds cool, I'm glad that you popped in to let us know that it's your's and not that random dude's

this is was indie games should all be like

>innovative
>fun
>rewarding
>short and experimental

yet all we get is heaps and heaps of trashy 2d pixelated roguelikes

the sad part?
most of you are part of the problem: just look at your games and ask yourself "will people really enjoy this?"

looks like meme garbage

Is this sexy hiking?

it's not innovative because all he did was take that shitty flash game, sexy hiking, and modernize it.

Show us your innovative experimental game user

doing 3d handpainted art requests to kill time. any suggestions?

Is that Putin?

no probs. Just seemed rude not to answer, even if the project is on hiatus

and how many copies do it sell? I would rather be uninnovative millionaries like Stardew valley dev and meme dev who make innovative shit that nobody buys.

paint a lion's head on macho man chest

I don't want to make a buzzwords game. Why should I prioritize what hypothetical people would enjoy rather than what I enjoy?