What do you think of the Virgin of Guadalupe?

catholicnewsagency.com/news/hillary_clinton_leaves_flowers_for_our_lady_of_guadalupe_asks_who_painted_it/

pastebin.com/7m5tkFa3

It is an article about Hillary Clinton visiting Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City.
Notable selections from the article include :
>After observing it for a while, Mrs. Clinton asked “who painted it?” to which Msgr. Monroy responded “God!”
This is actually a demonstration of Hillary poking fun at the fact that the Mexican people ACTUALLY believe the Virgin of Guadalupe was a miracle and not painted by an amateur artist using art techniques common of the 16th century.
>This evening Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is set to receive the highest award given by Planned Parenthood Federation of America -- the Margaret Sanger Award, named for the organization's founder, a noted eugenicist. The award will be presented at a gala event in Houston, Texas.
>EUGENICIST
Oh how naive the author of the article is. Referring a EUGENICIST on a catholic forum? AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thoughts /pol/ on Virgin of Guadalupe?

Personally: I can't believe Mexicans are still falling for the Guadalupe meme. I am mexican.

Well, it seems that she´s really Tonantzin, aztec earth goddess. Countries need national myths and this is a nice one.
Also If I remember right the painting was used as a banner in the war for independence which sounds based

some trippy shit ese

don't even get me started
i live near the sanctuary and shit's about to hit the fan, pilgrimages are already en route

do you think all the money and false hope is healthy? or rather would the mexican people be better off knowing the truth?

money wasted* on such things as pilgrimages, parties, idols, paintings, merchandise, etc

national myths are healthy
is the Guadalupe myth any worse than Joan of Arc, to name one?

but joan of arc actually happened right?

>national myths are healthy
i beg to differ, raising generations which value truth, as ugly as it may be, more than myths is better. not only that but the Mexican establishment benefits from this myth and they are not particularly moral people which one could say are using a white lie in favor of their citizenry

what does it matter? the important is the symbol

>God's painting is outdone technically and creatively by many human artists

What did God mean by this?

well so was his state, by a long shot

isn´t Guadalupe a symbol of mestizo culture? because that´s truthfully what Mexico is

then why not recognize it was made by a mestizo painter as a conciliatory piece between two races?

you know what?
you´re right
but people would still be devote

If you ever talk to a fervent Catholic about it, they will claim there are all sorts of miraculous qualities to the image that are inexplicable by science. Few if any of these properties have been independently confirmed by peer review, most come from Catholic researchers who are not exactly unbias

yes but the catholic church could help a bit by having their priests say you don't actually need to spend money on the pilgrimage and just receive the blessing from afar, or have the fake that's in exhibit (the original is in a vault most of the time) travel around the country
most of the pilgrims are peasant from rural areas and could really use those resources to improve their communities, some of them get at most a free meal from the charities in the sanctuary, but not all
all of this without mentioning the piece can easily be discredited from being a supernatural relic (and has been several times) so reaffirming its divine origin through appeals to authority fosters submissiveness and lack of critical thinking in the devoted, making them easier to dupe by their corrupt government officials

because lying is inherently wrong

this

so you think Denmark flag really fell from the sky or Joan of Arc heard the voice of God?

the same is true for the shroud of turin and other relics, even non-christian ones
to be honest i would be satisfied if the Catholic church just toned it down a bit with the supernatural stuff, it says a lot about their faith that it is most popular in developing countries with low literacy levels, the kind of people who don't have the intellectual tools to criticize them or even just understand some of their sophisticated theology

lets look at it from a non divine perspective. someone created the flag. joan of arc didnt hear anything just a part of the exaggerated narrative. what is still notable and ACTUALLY happened is joan de arc fought for her country.

it is, but when dealing with centuries old myths i think one must learn to compromise and accept they won't vanish during our lifetimes and that the most we can do it chip away at it bit by bit

well Guadalupe "fought" for Mexico didn´t she? she was the flag of the revolution (if I remember right, the loyals to Spain used the Virgen de Remedios). It´s more than religious, it´s a national symbol

if i became a notable figure with a speech platform, first thing i would do is shatter the dreams and myths millions of people depend on

you have to wonder though: if people finally realized the picture and guadalupe do not exist and are not divine, what will that do to their devotion?

embrace communism, fascism or some other shit

well i hope you get one, i certainly don't have one or the eloquence to make the most out of one

or become critical of other things, like their negligent government

i expected to not be taken seriously and someone replying with
E D G Y
D
G
Y

that´s absolutely brilliant and it takes education
but don´t fuck around national symbols
why do you think european countries or Japan keep their monarchs? they are a symbol of national unity

you know this is a good argument, maybe we shouldnt destroy any symbols that foster unity

You write like you're 13
>>>/reddit/

>national myths are healthy

Not if they lead to delusions and negative real life delusions.

the monarch is at least a living breathing person with not magical powers, and their power & influence continues to decrease, is not like the Queen of England can suddenly go back to "It's Crown time bitches" and undo the prime minister
their basically celebrities with historical background
except japan, keep hearing those crazies still believe the emperor is descended from the sun or some shit
yeah maybe we should let kim jon un enjoy his dinasty free of criticizism

Because mass literacy/outside contact threatens political and religious power bases.

like what?

but really, do you want to live in a world where everyone was equal and there was no order? Ive prefer a world where we enslave the poor and uneducated: they have no other use but to work minimum wage and they are blissfully happy doing so if they can buy their daily crack/weed.

They are empty symbols, a a vestigial relic of a past time when those monarchs meant shit.

Not to mention if your entire national unity hinged on your monarchy especially if you area homogeneous nation that hints to some major problems.

i don't think is that bad to threaten the political power base of a country ruled by a government in bed with organized crime

>art must only strive for realism and creativity

top kek

you know what that would mean though, right? bulletproof vest for life. not saying it wouldn't be a hell of a lot of fun to watch

Well wasn't there a huge world war where two of the forces had a huge national myth and belief about their superiority as a power and shit?

I mean officially and technically the queen can do exactly that, tho it's not very likely.

but was it based on a symbol? or an idea. an idea is not objectionable. although the virgin of guadalupe can be considered an idea, it is inherently flawed because it is so easy to disprove the myth. an idea is much harder to scrutinize.

That's why certain government/ruler flub their education/flow of info for their populace. Remember in the colonies where just the lucky few to be educated people in a colony were enough to agitate the subjects and cause unrest or how NK has little media form the outside world because if they knew how shit their lives were and how good SK is they'd riot China style (chaos on Earth)?

when shit happens, people cling to their common history and culture and it works wonders for them. Look at the jews for god´s sake

SO HOLD UP
SO YOU BE SAYIN THAT
CONSERVATIVE CULTURE IS INHERENTLY BETTER THAN A LIBERAL CULTURE THAT WORKS TO UNDERMINE TRADITION
WHODA THUNK

>planned parenthood

Abortion is child sacrifice to Moloch. It's how the (((elites))) worship.

because she understand she would get her shit slapped back at her
this is why the palace did not voice any comment against or in favor of Brexit while it unfolded, even if there are people who would follow their lead most the country just thinks of them as socialites and things would go bad for them if they attempted any power grab

all the hate will only fuel my erection

Why is God not allowed to paint?

?

because god has to follow the rules of logic he created for this world when he influences it.

>because a programmer has to follow the rules of logic he created for his program when he hacks it.

No.

nah just saying respect for symbols is helpful
and back to the Guadalupe, is not like some kind of aggresive imperial or communist symbol

Yes. Otherwise he has to reprogram it and do a complete restart of the universe. We have a loving god that doesn't want that.

actually yes
hacking is just using the loopholes you know the system has, be in its human operators (social engineering to find about password and the internal structure of networks) or it machine components

it could certainly be a lot worse, but that's no excuse for it not to go

>Otherwise he has to reprogram it and do a complete restart of the universe

Or open up a debugger and fuck with data directly. Do you even /g/?

again we have a loving god that cant touch us due to the dimensional differences

>dimensional differences

And a programmer is 3D and his AI waifu is 2D. So what?

same principles only you abuse 2D for your benefit

2D doesnt actually SEE you do things, but you CAN. They won't see the hand of god coming down on them doing exactly what you are doing, they will see an amalgamation/manifestation of a jumble of events that will influence the world in the way you want to change it. again we have a loving god who chooses not to cheat us of our lives by interfering.

Jews didn't need monarchy for that and those groups like certain parts of Europe and Japan aren't shitholes.

ofc they aren´t shitholes, but they once were
even bombed and nuked shitholes, and they didn´t ditch their symbols

japan abandoned the shogunate and the samurai caste, then abandoned the idea of the emperor as the ruler of japan (as respected as he may be he cannot issue any executive orders),
they have abandoned plenty of their symbols and ideas as the time went on
israel is governed by an elected prime minister not a rabbi and not a king
symbols might not be abandoned but they lose importance over time

ehhh i'd fuck her