/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

erosion edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hlHcJYFf7Pk
nofile.io/f/fyoRyhN8ymS/dwarffortresswiki.zip
dfwiki.triggered.help/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for 40 hours.

6 decides what the limitation on my next fort should be

youtube.com/watch?v=hlHcJYFf7Pk

How many days til the end of October?

No dwarves.

I repeat this in the new thread

>stumble upon a lair of firedrakes
>they're just having a philosophical discussion

You ever feel bad for killing megabeasts /dfg/? I once murdered a female giantess and her two children.

I have wanted this too.

CLA has gone too far this time

Welcome to Whose [DIALOGUE] is it Anyway, the show where everythings made up and the ยค dont matter. First up we have Scenes from a +(leather cap)+. Lets get started.

Things Toady would never say

I like that Titans are kind of forces of nature, sort of like apex predators but better and I dislike the idea of interfering with the order of the world by killing them

eh eh eh

Looks like this release will come earlier than we anticipated!

do you also think that it's "just nature" when animals kill people in third world countries, and that society should do nothing to intervene against it?

It's only a problem if people kill animals, never the other way around.

I always saw them more as primal animal gods of some kind, would explain the ones that actually resemble animals - can't say I have a reasonable explanation for the blobs of random material though.

>So, what size should the harpy be, at least, to fit human clothes?
Adult dwarves are size 60000. Humans are 70000. You could also get a crafting mod that lets you make your own clothes in adventure mode. They're automatically the right size.

It's not the same, part of the problem is right now is things like Titans shouldn't really be able to be killed by mere mortals.

>if you kill a monster who murdered hundreds of people, you're an evil imperialist who rapes mother nature
lmao

>implying lowly humans shouldn't be paying patronage and performing virgin sacrifices to Divine Beings from a Time before Time.

>this over-exaggeration of what the other guy said
lmao

he said that intervening with nature is inherently morally wrong, even if you do it in self defense. I have no idea how many levels of spooks you have to be on to think like that.

Take only Dwarves. No tools, no food, no animals, no nothing. Embark on a glacier.

He said nothing about self-defense - I sorta see where they're coming from in terms of taking away something unique to the world, given that all titans are different. If a titan randomly attacked me in the wilds I'd still kill it (or atleast try to) since its me or them.

If people were dumb enough to let themselves be killed then it's entirely their fault. Sit in your fucking home or build fucking walls around your mudhut town if you don't want wild animals eating your babies from their cribs. That's nature.

I believe we should kill everyone who killed another being, because they are clearly evil. Let's start with you.

I didn't mean it like that. I think right now Titans randomly attacking towns is probably just a placeholder for them to interact with the world. When Myths get fleshed out they'll probably a lot of passive or benevolent ones that were involved in world gen without much reason to be slain.

>everyone who kills something is evil
And thats going full retard in the completely opposite direction.

Next up, working on some much-anticipated UI improvements. There's a long list to go through, but we hope to have them ready for the next release.

Toady did say he wanted to have passive non-hostile megabeasts eventually, so it'd probably involve titans as well.

he has improved the ui in the past. do you remember back when space was used to back out of menus?

also, the current military screen makes more sense and is easier to understand than the old one.

I'd be fine with Forgotten Beasts being wandering assholes like they currently are to keep the "dug too deep" idea around, at least. But passive Titans would be good. Heck if they were intelligent they could even give quests with rewards in the same way you get "cursed" with vampirism or were-ism.

That'd be awesome if they could give you the ability to talk to animals and have them be loyal to you for doing a quest, or some other nature-themed blessing.

>TFW

In 2017, Page 10 devoured /dfg/ in her lust for murder.

>her

Page 10 can't be a boy, user.

denmark might be smaller than the large DF worlds, but at least they beat the normal sized ones. they're alot flatter, though.

So, right now, I'm playing a fortress in a world with 80k goblins, and 50 dwarves. Not 50,000. 50. So, this fortresses aim was to reclaim the original fort which the surviving dwarven "civ" fled from, about 1300 years ago. I've just found someone special in the deeps, after half a year of booming from below. Right now, three swordsdwarves are running around the ruins, scouting things out. Should I retreat, or handle this now?

Upon reflection, I probably should have paused when I typed that out. I came back to the game, to find the militia commander down a right hand, and up three kills.

Shut the fuck up

>He prefers shitposting over (bad) fort posting
Okay.

I don't like you.

>Evilmurder the shady savageries
Psh.. Nothing personnel urist

When the patch is coming? I kinda want to jump back into DF after a long break but i heard a patch is coming SOON TM.

DF doesn't get "patches"

"New versio release" then, you know what i meant boner.

It was supposed to be last month. So it could be released anywhere from this weekend to the next four months.

Forgotten beast dust. Not even once.

DF doesn't get "new releases" either

take the last ten years. count the days on which there has been new DF releases. then count the days on which there hasn't. you'll find that the few times it has gotten new releases are anomalous, or rather, statistical outliers.

Nah, that was my fault.

Take the last 437 million gigasecs or so, count the megasecs when you have been awake and aware of your mind sweeping across a section of time like a tiny little searchlight, then count the megasecs when everything called you was just an assortment of atoms tracing meaningless swirls across spacetime, you'll find your life is utterly lost in the background noise.

bump

I want to have gigasecs

Did it get caught in its own vapors.

hey guys is there a mirror for the wiki? looks like it's been down for a while now :( at least yesterday evening and today.

Yeah, sure seems that way. Speaking of that FB, one of its killers (the one with only one hand), is now the first line of defense against some sneaky necromancers. Since they're already inside the Old Fort, this could go bad, fast.

Someone please post that challenge image. I want to play dorf fort but don't know what embark to pick. I am a newbie and I know it's gonna end terribly wrong.

what's a good non-wood material for barrels and pots?

i wget -r it about half a year ago, if anyone wants that.

yeah if you don't mind that would be super awesome. I'd even be happy to host a mirror myself if there is a need. I know I need it still lol

So is anyone else having issues accessing the wiki? I keep getting a 503 error whenever I try, hopefully its all on my end that the problems are occurring.

nofile.io/f/fyoRyhN8ymS/dwarffortresswiki.zip

first filehost i found.

yeah, there seems to be an issue i was trying to get on it. I've been using the cached version on google but it's a pain. one user on here might post up a tar.gz or something of it

hey thanks I really appreciate this. I'll see if I can throw this up on nginx or something and put a link to it for others until they get the wiki back up

Weren't those a thing in good regions at one point?

would a plump helmet man appreciate being in a fancy cage in a fancy misty meeting hall surrounded by merry dwarves? i feel like they're very fragile and tasty to cavernlife and might really enjoy the safety and parties.

The folks over at the wiki discussion don't seem to know what's happening to it. We'll just have to wait it looks like.

it's dated july 23th 2016 by the way.

uh oh :( hopefully they can get it up at least temporarily so I can grab a proper mirror as a backup. the .zip posted helps but it converted all the pages driven by php to flat files so I'm not sure if i'll be able to cleanly mirror with it

The lightest stone you have, for ease of transport. If you have jet or graphite those are good. Almost any stone you have in abundance is fine, though. Avoid things like cinnabar, pitchblende, and dolomite which are very heavy.

is that on freenode?

I've cleaned out the entirety of a world gen fortress (bar one room filled with body rotting FB dust), removed all of the non-magma forges, and now I'm left with a huge collection of cavernous empty rooms, with only 20 dwarves to fill them. What do?

Fill it with Glory.

hmm, thanks! i'm not too big on stones, are there any light metals that aren't necessarily adamantine?
there's a 23mb index.php that allows you to navigate the articles, is it supposed to be different or not exactly mirrorable over http like that?

I think this works I just don't know if it'll be reliably like the original wiki. it's using mediawiki so instead of just pages some of the articles are stored in a relational database like mysql or something. I'll have them all hosted in a moment though so we'll see :-p I'll post a link

Aluminum is the next lightest, but it's very rare and valuable. If you have any I would recommend saving it for high value furniture or decorations instead. After that I think it's nickel and then zinc. The alloys of nickel are pretty useless, so it's a good option. You may want to save your zinc for brass if you don't have more valuable metals available (and maybe even if you do), but if you aren't making brass you're probably not going to need it for anything else.

anybody who needs the wiki I just put up an older copy that user grabbed from last year. I've got it hosted a dfwiki.triggered.help/ until the real wiki is back up. Sorry if images or formatting is strange, it's just a raw upload from a wget. I tested a few links they seem to work

what's the point of producing at the same time barrels and pots?

There's not one. The only thing you need barrels for are a couple of workshops. Otherwise pots have the same capacity, same value, weigh less, and can be made with a greater variety of materials.

bum

Is it a citizen in your fort? There'd be no way to tell otherwise, 'cause you can't read the thoughts of creatures that aren't in that category. Also, I'm not even sure creatures experience anything outside a cage while they're in one.

Unless you mean for "roleplay"/flavor reasons, in which case yes.

In Armok's name how in the hell do I get this to stop, do I need to change the access on stockpiles or is it something with the trade depo because that stuff has been sitting in there all winter the sound of the message is infuriating.

Remember kids: check twice before digging damp stone. Just lost an early fort to a flood.

What are the effects of blindness in DF? I have some blind Dwarves but they seem to have no problem eating, drinking, and even sparring. Are they good for combat?

>No update
>Wiki dead
>Meph wins

truly is the age of shit

>Meph wins
MW is dead though.

Everyone absolutely loses, we have entered the Age of Emptiness.

meph really hates being called a rich kid. he "only" owns a few apartment blocks.

forgot pic

>"you could have easily written a third of that"
>proceeds to go off with his own rambling

Cannot use stone for anything.

So what are you guys planning for your first fort of the update? anything special?
Think im gonna do an above ground focused fort on the coast

WINNER

Wait. What the fuck?

Original civ is probably dead, or the king died and, somehow, that dwarf happened to be the only eligible descendant.

welp gg no re

I don't even have beds for my dwarves yet. There are no trees on this location. Here goes nothing I guess.

brilliant, thanks! i had exactly aluminum, nickel and zinc just gathering dust for a long while...
wait, pots actually weigh less? even though they're made of stone?
just a caged guy. hmm, i was actually really hoping that caged goblins would be able to experience some kind of misery. i guess you'd have to chain them for them to experience miasma, but would another caged race still age and hunger in the cage? also, if your entire population is caged, would that trigger a game loss? and i would especially like to know if you could cage up at least almost your entire population to keep them from migrating away once you've retired the fortress to switch to adventure mode. would they even still migrate if they were the last fortress of their civilizationo, or would they just disappear?