/gdg/ - Grim Dawn General

Why does this fucker deal so much damage?

>official forums [resources lower right]
grimdawn.com/forums

>steam store page
store.steampowered.com/app/219990

>build planner
grimtools.com/calc

>item db
grimtools.com/db

>wikis
grimdawn.gamepedia.com/Grim_Dawn_Wiki
grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Grim_Dawn_Wiki

>updated resist reduction doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vw7I9fTSqtx9s3a4WVvkgiOGZ7leM81n1H1RrwrOzLc/edit#gid=0

>mods
www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/
www.moddb.com/games/grim-dawn

>can't launch/black screen
Be sure to install everything (manually) from _CommonRedist folder in game steamapps folder.
If still no go, then in steam library right click game name > additional launch options add /d3d9 (force use of DirectX 9)

>previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

grimtools.com/calc/a2d7JedN
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23414
grimtools.com/calc/YZe9zbdZ
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61983
grimtools.com/db/items/9162
grimtools.com/db/items/9284
grimtools.com/db/items/8040
grimtools.com/calc/lNk1O1dV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What about Tree of Life instead of Ishtak?
Not really an option, the damage absorption and pet taunt granted by the skill are too good to give up, on top of which Tree of Life is more expensive to build into.

>Can buy the expansion now
>Not going to out of spite because the devs are fucking retarded and casualized the ever living shit out of the game
>"Oh no, people are saying ULTIMATE is tough! We can't have the hardest mode be difficult, quick, butcher the absolute fuck out of the difficulty so that our shitter fanbase can breeze through it!"
Then when I bring it up, said shitter fanbase and the devs say they're not going to increase the difficulty.
This tells me all I need to know about this shitty expansion, no doubt will it be a casual walk in the park.

>Let's add tons of things to make your characters even more broken, as well as 2 new broken masteries
>Let's make the game even easier to compensate! Everyones a winner! Everybody needs to feel strong!

Can someone give me a tldr with Crucibleleveling for alts? When do I stop doing 1-10s?

>When do I stop doing 1-10s?
When you can manage to get to 50.

Fresh new thread, stale old bait.

>shitposter copy-pastes his shit into the new thread
nice

Start main game, get level 2 or 3, and get to the first waypoint. Buy a white 2h weapon from the crucible vendor so you have something to use for the first round if you don't have a good super early leveling skill. Do 5 waves 1-10 to get 5 cheap devotion points. Then you can just run through most of act 1.

Just get one of the starter unique weapons in the first zone.

>not starting in the crucible and fighting your first 1-10 with your starting weapon and no skills

>titan quest has a new xpac
>grim dawn has proper fucking controller support
i bought the new xpac but i have to install both of them

which first

>mfw I did this with a character I tried to level for a bit
>made it to like wave 3 or 4 since I hadn't played crucible before
Headbutting your way to leveling up is fun in a way.

:DDD

Just reminding everyone to consider others before making any post. Censor any words some may find inappropriate.
Thank you in advance.

Fuck your proc trigger fucking gay nigger

Need some sage advice on character building. The idea is a 2H DK with cadence/blitz for damage and lifesteal/mark of torment for survivability. Working on skills and constellations first, this is what I've got:

grimtools.com/calc/a2d7JedN

I don't know what to do with the last 6 skill points, so I dumped them all into Menhir's Will for extra survivability. I'm wondering though if I should take off 5 points from MW and put 1 each into Zolhan's Technique, Military Conditioning, Veterancy, Decorated Soldier and Scars of Battle. I reckon I'll be able to add a few levels to each of those with some +skill gear, but I'm not sure whether it's better to have a single skill of higher level or several lower leveled ones.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS THREAD YOU ROTTEN MOTHERFUCKER.
KEEP YOUR FUCKING PR*CS TO YOURSELF.

reposting because it's beautiful

>still scrab instead of sgrab
its disgusting

So I'm in the fleshworks in malmouth, had the quest to kill the shaper at the end, I did that and set the womb ablaze, but it still says I have to kill the shaper. Did I miss something or is it just bugged?

be the change you want to see in this world, user, then I'll repost that instead

You killed Fleshweaver Krieg not Theodin, Shaper of Flesh.
Usually the last boss is at the end of the place not in the middle

>no weapon upgrade in over 20 levels
>nothing in stash that works for my build
>cant craft anything

I'm going to assume you're going for Aether damage.

Reaping Strike isn't that good.
Nor Markovian's advantage.
I would avoid quite so many points in fighting spirit.
Get at least some points in war cry.
Soldier passive are really good defensive boons(except one) that you will want.

You could avoid the necromancer exclusive and take a whole 30 points out of necromancer. 22 in Soldier will get you one of those exclusives to play around with.

Honestly Necromancer doesn't seem that good for soldier outside of how fucking amazing the three skills on the bottom line you got are.

*pssst*
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23414
Just don't tell anyone.

Yeah, I apparently just shy of revealing the Heart doorway as I was running around earlier. ty

>Honestly Necromancer doesn't seem that good for soldier outside of how fucking amazing the three skills on the bottom line you got are.
Yeah but spectral binding and wrath are so amazing that those two alone make aether dk better than any other aether melee
also reaping stike is ok although you dont want to get it to over 9 points including +skills from items

can anyone suggest me a build that either has easy to farm gear for ultimate or can buy them from faction? I'm trying to do steps and aom in ultimate but i die constantly to the bosses

Oh yeah for sure. I didn't mean to talk shit about Death Knight as a whole, just that everything outside of that is pretty underwhelming compared to options on the home Soldier tree.

DEE Witch Hunter is traditionally pretty strong for base game with low gear requirements. You're sorta squishy but it's all DoT so you don't have to facetank shit.

oh and modified siphon soul is an amazing sustain ability in crucible due to how much trash you are gonna be surrounded by. But yeah all in all soldier is the star of the show in a dk.

Nightblade/soldier, nightblade/inquisitor, or soldier/inquisitor?

didn't crate fix dot damage in this patch being too high?

>not taking military conditioning, decorated soldier and scars
It's like you're not even playing soldier.
What's the point of levelling both blindside and markovian, -DA doesn't stack and you don't need anything else from Blinside. If we count your build without gear, then you really need to be efficient with skill points.
Also I would drop Fighting Spirit, maybe take 4 points in it, if you want. Drop 4 points from reaping strike.
I'd rather level Field Command than Squad Tactics, although both don't have spectacular scale, so better choice is putting some points in them.
Like other guy said, you can drop 10 points in Necro and go for Oleron.
I'm not sure what you're going for in Devotions. It seems like you try to go for both vitality and aether, but non-aether DK is actually quite lackluster (maybe better with some new additions, but there's no point in going hybrid). Drop Vitality stuff.
Siphon Souls is pretty good too.

no they fixed mythical stormreaver doing 450k dots. it now 'only' does 300k dots

Witch Hunters already had really high DoTs, also Crate fixed high DoT damage on some weapons (compensating them in unknown amount with flat damage), so those who don't use them are same.

Well shit, this is new. God bless dammitt for all he does.

I killed the master of flesh and such in malmouth, is that the end of the expac or is there some other stuff to do?

So they nerfed only electrocute, is it still possible to reach 400k damage with WH?
ok then i'll try to go through the game with witch hunter, i already had one at level 30 so i don't need to start from zero. With that much damage i guess enemies die really quick since with my tactician i was doing around 30k damage with cadence.

Theodin is the endboss of the main quest line

The changes were specifically to some weapon damages. The heavy hitter for a poison WH is transmuted DEE, and weapon damage is not the biggest part of it.

My main goals are to max out aether and vitality damage since they seem to compliment each other quite nicely in the Necromancer line of skills, followed by as much lifesteal as possible. To that end I focused mainly on skills and devotions that add relevant damage bonuses and give lifesteal, with a few extra devotions for resistances and required affinities.

>What's the point of levelling both blindside and markovian
Markovian for +all dmg, Blindside for beefing up my AoE damage through Blitz.

Siphon Souls seems somewhat unnecessary, as I should have a pretty good amount of lifesteal already, plus Menhir's Will and Ghoulish Hunger kicking in if I ever get low on health.

War Cry doesn't really seem worth it either, as I'd rather go into an enemy crowd with Blitz and drop them all instead of taunting.

I've picked Harbinger as my exclusive instead of Oleron because neither pierce nor internal trauma are of much use to me, and Harbinger gives a vit/aether damage boost and some extra lifesteal on top of that. Just seemed like the logical choice.

pls reply this is crippling me

You've never been into ultimate or higher crucible have you?
I'm not trying to belittle you but you don't really seem to have a firm grasp on at least these two masteries

For what sort of build?

I don't know, I just started playing.

God dammitt

whatever you find the most fun user. don't worry about builds and just take anything for your first character

Going hybrid needs really good support. I guess there is support in caster stuff (Uroburuuk, but the perfect gear for aether cadence (krieg set+mindwarp) gives no shit about vitality. Just drop it. Oleron gives OA and some movement speed (on my battlemage without oleron and before this patch I had 106% move speed).
They're all good. Tactician is probably the tankiest among them.

The main issue with your concept is that items are a ton of your scaling, and you're not going to get physical, aether AND vitality. Vitality is going to be left out.

You are overvaluing blitz as well. It's good and you'll use it but if you're playing soldier you are hitting everything with cadence and procs

>You've never been into ultimate or higher crucible have you?
Nope. This will be my second character, and the first one didn't make it through veteran.

>I'm not trying to belittle you but you don't really seem to have a firm grasp on at least these two masteries
That's no secret, which is why I thought I'd get some input from you guys before jumping into the game. My first char was a complete blind run, and HC at that because I thought I'd try my luck. Didn't make it very far, and it was pretty shit anyways. I want to make it right this time.

My build was based quite a bit on this one I've found on the forums, with people saying it's pretty good:
grimtools.com/calc/YZe9zbdZ

Only I went 2H instead of s&b for extra damage, and replaced the lost survivability with extra lifesteal. At least, that's how it should work in theory.

Alright, guess I'll have to look into ways to drop the vitality focus and go pure phys/aether, with some extra survivability on top of that. And just after I spent the whole afternoon figuring out the best skills and devotions and seeing if they all fit. Theorycrafting can suck at times.

Yeah notice how that build follows our advice closer than yours does. Unfortunately Aether DK is the only really good DK, and there isn't that much variation allowed. You've more wriggle room in devotions than in gear/skills. Though those need to be restricted as well. Aether bomb is most important.

In a situation like this where I have to choose between my damage type versus a lot of offensive ability, which would be the better choice?

Reminder that if you are not using Fevered Rage with Bloody Pox then you are not truly using Bloody Pox.

I really need to try this with harder bosses

Ignore offensive ability

I'd go the damage percentage for a little more overall, plus a bit more armor. But they're yellow so still suboptimal and low level so the decision isn't one you need to beat yourself up over too much. Later game with bigger numbers and sticking with items for longer you'll start to care.

Yeah, I'm reworking my build now as we speak. Not really sure what to do with devotions now that I've dropped the vitality ones. Also, I found a thread on the official forums about testing and selecting builds that are capable of easily clearing gladiator Crucible:
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61983

And the DK built that I used as a basis for mine is there as well, only he says he made some modifications to it, including adding Dying God to it, which is all about vitality and chaos damage. So maybe it's still possible to work those in as well, somehow.

>Aether bomb is most important.
Arcane Bomb? The ability sounds neat, but won't it be useless if I kill the enemy I'm hitting quicker than it can go off? Never thought about it as a main ability.

So after you hit 50 do you just do 1-50s?

>2 mil doombolt
wew, gonna make one now

It helps you kill things faster. Resist reduction is crucial in maximizing your damage - you can never have enough really.

>level arcane will
>literally ultra instinct mode

You get dying god for the da/oa and for the crazy strong devotion ability, not for the damage from it.
You get arcane bomb because it gives -aether resistance and resistance reduction is extremely crucial in endgame

Why Revenant though? Feel like Crane offers much more instead.

Worthless cunts are going to die super fast no matter what.
Arcane bomb has prize resist reduction which will multiply your damage exponentially compared to other damage values.
Single targets are what you care how fast you're killing.

And yes, arcane bomb.

>tfw using the same yellow ring since 35 levels
It's just so good with 36% Pet health for my skellies

I'm new to the game and I don't really get it, can someone explain?
I see that when people do pet builds with occultist, they take the hellhound and just max the aura, but all it does is add chaos and fire damage, and I don't think other pets do that type of damage, like skeletons do physical and vitality, so what is it for?

Speaking of arcane will, I was thinking of making an arcanist + soldier combo to use fighting form, cadence, fighting spirit, and arcane will. Does this sound like it'd be strong?

I get why arcane bomb is recommended. Is it an instant explosion?

>You get dying god for the da/oa and for the crazy strong devotion ability
Surely several dozen points in da/oa don't really mean anything when your own levels of them are in the thousands. And the devotion ability gives a bonus to pets and vit/chaos damage. And a bit of chaos retaliation, which at that point would be pretty much negligible, I think. Not to mention its massive HP drain on you. Yes, it's strong, but I was just told to drop vit on DK as it doesn't work out.

You boost your pet damage mostly by "+X to All Damage" Let's say you have an Aura that deals 100 Chaos Damage and you got +700% to All Damage which means each of your pets will then deal 100*7 = 700 Chaos damage.

Largest hit is ~250k so far, which is probably what you saw. Once I get some extra ultimate ranks in CoF and all my devotions are properly leveled I expect my max hit will be 400-500k. I was trying to upload a .webm of the Amalgamation fight but the stupid particles made it impossible to compress well. Doom Bolt is fun with the new skill mods though.

>85 flat OA and 3% OA
>25 flat DA
>barely mean anything
Your OA and DA are gonna be in the thousands because you get a lot of different sources of these small instances of them not because you magically get a few thousand.
Also the aura gives you a decent chunk of attack speed and, more importantly 40% motherfucking additional crit damage with 66% uptime. It's fucking insane, I'm reliably critting for upwards of 300k with blitz in a motherufcking aoe because of this shit.

It isn't an instant explosion but that doesn't matter because you're standing still doing the cadence can-can.

Well it's as strong as regular soldier (if you go phys), which is pretty damn good. Krieg Set is all the rage lately, and Aether Battlemage is one of two options for it.

also I really should have put "small" in brackets like this because 85 flat itself is not a small instance and +3% is actually effectively like another 50 OA.
You mostly build the Kriegs dk devotions like this because you can grab 3 high end devotions in dying god, spear of heavens and hourglass in one go, and still make pretty good use of all 3 which is kind of broken

Okay, I'm beginning to see wisdom in your words. So all those instances of people having 3,4 or even 5k points in OA/DA are because of them stacking every little bit of flat OA/DA and then adding some percentage increases on top, yes? Not trying to be a smartass here, I'm genuinely interested in how the game works. And I take it that OA is the more important of the two, especially if you plan on critting all the time and making use of dying god.

I'd say DA is the more important to get to a base level so you dont get one-shot crit. 2.5k should be the absolutely bare minimum at max level, but having each higher certainly doesnt hurt.
And yeah if you wanna make use of dying god like in this build you wanna have some decent OA. My dk that I use to farm gladiator crucible has 3k OA and 2.7k DA respectively.

Alright, thanks. You mentioned using Aeon's Hourglass before. I see it has some nice bonuses, but the ability sounds kinda lackluster, mainly to be used with something like Hungering Void to cut down on cooldown times. Or are there other skills that a DK is dependant on that need cooldown reduction?

I do the best I can with what I've got.

Even so, FireMcBlazeMan is coming together nicely without being even near proper gear.

Can you do a build that tanks with leech even with mid-tier gear and no soldier?

To the guy who posted his Infiltrator earlier, what's your filler? Do you just spam the Cold Rune and some Nightblade skill?

It pracitcally resets cooldown for blitz, warcry, siphon souls and kriegs wrath from the endgame set you really want to use since it is literally the best thing you can have for dk and can be farmed relatively easy
If you use s&b you can also use it to have 100% uptime overguard for 20 seconds which can be a huge lifesaver since you're gonna have 24% or 49% stun resist without it in addtion to it giving decent defensive boosts.
Unless of course you are willing to have the modifier that reduces all your damage done by -18%

As a vitality caster, sure. Basically pick 2 from Occultist/Shaman/Necro and get vit related skills. Get Wendigo from devotions and basically never die since half your skills heal you. Unless you build heavily around something like Doom Bolt your single target damage won't be crazy good, but you have to actively try to die.

Constant blitzing sounds cool and all, but then I realized that the hourglass itself has a hefty recharge time. So it's more like the occasional double blitz or warcry.

Also, regarding war cry. What exactly does the DK get from it that's so important? Health reduction? Skill disruption?

In a Crucible setting the reduced damage is the most useful part. Also more than a double Blitz, you get higher uptime on strong defensive skills like Overguard and Mirror/Mark of Torment (depending on choice of Battlemage/DK)

what skill mods?

How did you get 8 for red devotion in the first place? What did you remove once you got the 8?

>Checked patch notes just to see if I was right that they already butchered the difficulty
>They did
Called it. What a casual shitfest of a game.
>Zantai - "N-n-n-n-n-n-nooooooooo my health bar dropped under 3/4, scale it back scale it back, this is too much my nerves can't handle it, it reminds me of my school days when i got bullied"
This spotty little fucker is your overlord. No wonder the game is piss easy.
Not even gonna pirate this shit, no point in playing a game in which its impossible to die.
Wheres my refund for the base game? I know we have a bunch of crate shills here.

grimtools.com/db/items/9162
grimtools.com/db/items/9284
grimtools.com/db/items/8040

This is all I'm using that affects it. Basically pure vitality (I have ~50% global chaos -> vit from gloves + chest) Doom Bolt with a ton more damage added on a ~3s cd after cdr.

25% reduced damage doesnt sound good? It's really amazing especially in crucible.
Also kriegs set gives a hefty amount of flat aether damage to both warcry and blitz.
at max level aeon glass has 12.8 seconds cooldown for me, meaning that if you time it properly it allows you to have overguard practically permanently active even without the modifier and you're able to use double everything every 13 seconds. Aether dk is surprisingly heavy in regards to spell usage.

Do you enjoy being a big loser? It's a proven fact that people have more fun when they are winning, as all things in life.

Don't bother replying to him. Dumb nigger barely changed up how he types, it's the same guy that shit up the end of the last thread and blatantly copy pasted the post at the start of this one.

are you using necro as second mastery? I was thinking about doing a vitality build, i even have the grasp, but i was choosing between shaman and necro. Shaman has devouring swarm but i was tempted to go necro since it's a new class

Winning is shit without the challenge.
I can think of nothing more boring than holding the same button down for 3 difficulties, all while barely looking at the screen and not even coming close to dying, and that's precisely what happens in GD.
Such a fucking joke of a game.
Any other game vastly increases the difficulty during expansions. Not this pile of shit though, it's designed from the ground up for brainlets.

Teary eyed shitter is so upset by how right I am that he hasn't even attempted me to prove me wrong.
Classic.

If I use a component that gives an attack skill on both weapons, do the skills share cooldown?

Shaman has a lot more tools that I think would be useful in a general sense, but I went with Necro since it has 2 really important things for making Fevered Rage less threatening for me. Mark of Torment gives much needed damage absorb, and Blood Boil has enemy OA reduction, which is far more efficient than trying to stack really high DA myself. Also Necro is less skill point hungry than Shaman would be.

grimtools.com/calc/lNk1O1dV

This is where I'm at right now, just getting those last few levels.

hehe

Wow, you must realy loved this game to death, it seems you just can't keep on living once the difficulty got nerfed and you can't enjoy it anymore

>follow DaShiv's Cabalist pet build
>tearing through the game like it's a total joke

Lads I'm a sheep for being a pet build autist but this is so fun