/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog General. Here we talk all about everything Sonic! Share art and music, discuss new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and more!

/sthg/ #1070 - Depression Edition

>Sonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-sonic-mania-and-its-impact-on-the-future-of-the-sonic-series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck Silver

Is there a consensus on which Sonic Advance game is the greatest?

Daily reminder that Ken Penders did nothing wrong and is the true creator of Knuckles and is the savior of the Sonic series.

Hey, all. Expect a new build within the hour!

Silver's fucking retarded.

I half hope Sonic Team put Green Hill Zone in the next game just to see the absolute shit storm.

Amen

First for Silver a cute!
A cute!!

If you insist

*BEEP* *BEEP*
Best ship coming through.

For a second there I thought the cancer had subsided.

Excited for it.

*hugs*

Great! Can't wait to play it!

But when is Lara-Su coming out?

I want to call Sonic slow.

I think the best part about Infinite's backstory is that Shadow didn't even call him weak. He said "worthless" and then told him not to show his "pathetic face around here ever again". Not once did he actually say he was weak. Infinite was legitimately so insecure he made a hasty conclusion and assumed calling his face pathetic meant he was being told he was weak, and had a fit about it.

hits kinda hard desu

You should cry while calling him slow

Heres how the line up of practice hedgies is looking so far. Last one up is Amy.

>Dislike tears
That's why Buddy exists, he's tired of Tails' tears

How the hell do you do this? How do you manage to be on every single general as soon as it's made?

Do you sleep?

I wouldn't mind if it was an unlockable level. Sort of like in Sonic Adventure 2. Just not as a 100% completion reward like that game. That was just disappointing

I wanna bully everyone in these pics.

What if he is Ken Penders?

>Implying that it's the same person

Why wasn't this the final battle of Forces?

Fucking right? In the main game itself I guess the two Metropolis stages are comparable in terms of fun. That is to say, Capital City (which was pretty cinematic with Infinite chasing you throughout the stage) and Null Space (despite the missed opportunity at the start, the rest wasn't too bad). Every other stage, including every single Classic Sonic stage, had a caveat, one part where I was just like "this... isn't fun".

Because the Gary-Stu Ruby is more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds or the Master Emeralds. I swear, people act like Infinite's so bad, but the Phantom Ruby is ten times worse

>Bullying Cream
Monster

Nice.

Cute. Thank you!

What if Cream is the bully?

The worst part is that the second paragraph is most likely to be the thought process there.

>tfw Infinite wasn't invincible due to the Ruby's power and thus gloated about it every fucking minute
>tfw we can't cause him to fucking break down with the Chaos Emeralds effecting him due to them bypassing his illusions

What do you mean?

ANT BULLY!!!!

That's the spice.

If Sonic 06 and Sonic Lost World didn't kill 3D Sonic, I doubt 3D'll be dropped.

do you think we'll ever get a good fully 3d sonic game?

A little late and the art itself is nice but for future reference with movement poses, generally speaking the arms and legs are opposite in stride. If the left leg is forward, the right arm is forward.

No while Iizuka is in charge

We will, when we finish our project user

no

They won't understand what made the game mediocre.

Did that OC get his smokes at the end?

My favorite part of his backstory is that Shadow told him not to show his face again at which point he immediately started wearing a mask.

Fucking punked.

Yup. Just like how user got vored by Heavy Magician

Oh I see, thanks for the tip, user! Glad you still like it though!

Eventually but like Mania it will done by the fans

Is that why we haven't heard from him?

WOAH, THIS GUY IS WEAKER THAN SONIC!

Yup, no problem, still pretty good.

Things are getting boring round here. Wish they were even rumours or some outrageous annoucenment by IDW.

Yes, but it's in a far distant future where SEGA had to sell Sonic to stay afloat and Nintendo bought Sonic

Yeah, he got his wish.

F

it's possible that Sonic Team will learn nothing from Forces and just drop 3D Sonic altogether. Or, they'll just make another game without understanding Forces' problems and flaws.

I used to think that but I'm starting to get worried. Mania was better received with a significantly smaller budget. It might not have sold as well as Forces since 3D Sonic games usually sell well regardless of score but think about it. They could just make a new Mania style game every year instead of one big expensive 3D Sonic game every 2-3 years. This might actually be more profitable, especially if they manage to get physical releases for these games.

The power of friendship >>>>>>>> the power of the Chaos Emeralds
This is what Sonic Team has decided on, like it or not. Now where's my Sonic OC Fusion Form that's unlocked once I collect all 5 Friendship Bracelets?

>The anti-hero guy
Shadow?

H-he went out the way he wanted to, user...

it was such a ridiculous thing to say, especially moreso because Tails said that immediately, like, this is a Tails who has seen Chaos Control, but the concept of an external energy doing something like that? no, I guess he's just faster, dumbass little fox.

Infinite is years of backstory condensed into a first appearance that's shared with a more important villain. If he had time to grow as a character, like his good buddy Shadow, he's be fine. I don't blame Infinite for Infinite. And the Ruby, again, would be fine if it had the time to cement it's rules and abilities, but between Mania and Forces, both of which are incredibly short with little expository narrative regarding the Ruby itself, it's just too fluid in nature to really work well. Still, I appreciate the effort to create something new that isn't just the Chaos Emeralds again, like the Time Stones or the Sol Emeralds.

I really, really want to believe that they'd understand that they were just too unfocused since they tried to appeal to everyone and ended up falling completely flat (with only a few good parts, like everyone seems to love the custom character)

But the problem is, even when they did decide to focus, it also wasn't great. Colors was only Sonic with the Wisps basically just being power ups. Was it great? Lost World was that, but without the Boost, and the addition of the Deadly Six (who are nothing more than walking cliches). Was that great?

Shun Nakamura's already talked about what's next for 3D Sonic after Forces. He said that 3D Sonic will be made for that fanbase, but they're gonna look at what worked in Mania & see if they can replicate it in a 3D game.

That's the spirit!

>They drop 3D Sonic
>No more Shadow, Blaze, Rouge, Silver, Cream, Omega...
>No more butt rock
>No more risps

Wait what? He did what?

I'm gonna need a source on that claim. I am curious how they could bring Mania into 3D though, but I've got major doubts.

As long as the next 3D Sonic has Buddy, I'll be happy.

Except he IS faster than Sonic. As long as they're both within the Phantom Ruby's area of effect. If Infinite wants to be faster, he's faster. So considering Tails was pretty obviously within the AoE it probably genuinely did appear as if Infinite was just fucking fast because, for all intents and purposes according to the Ruby, he was.

>Sonic Forces reveals the Phantom Ruby's true power is to cast illusions, so how much of the events of Sonic Mania actually happened is up for debate.

Thoughts?

I haven't slept in four days!
Well, three and three quarters

do you have a source for that?
>He said that 3D Sonic will be made for that fanbase
They also said that about Forces and trying to please everyone but it didn't turn out so well
>they're gonna look at what worked in Mania & see if they can replicate it in a 3D game
I like this but I really hope they mean more than just "put classic Sonic in 2.5D"

About a week before Forces came out: eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-sonic-mania-and-its-impact-on-the-future-of-the-sonic-series

The full quote:

>From the team's perspective, we're still going to be making 3D games for the audience that likes that style of Sonic - when we see the reactions that Mania got, the entire team sat down and thought it was really interesting, and we should break down what people liked about Mania, and in the future - when we build our 3D games - see what essence we can take from Sonic Mania and put into a 3D world, to give people what they're looking for and that they've found in Sonic Mania.

>they're gonna look at what worked in Mania & see if they can replicate it in a 3D game.
They didn't that in Sonic 4?

Did anyone else notice that it's apparently fine to beat the crap out of people in Forces cutscenes, but Infinite only ever hits people with energy balls and explosions sentai-style, yet Amy's slamming of a ruby clone with her hammer is just off-camera and the Resistance laser guns don't hit shit?

I guess it's fine for Infinite to fucking murder people but god help us if we show someone shooting a fake person with a laser gun or walloping them with a big toy hammer.

user, if you are so distressed at Sonic's lack of literary genius, you should read Faulkner, Carver, Eudora Welty, that crazy poet chick who stuffed her head in the oven.

Infinite is bad guy and bad guy kill
Resistance is good guy and good guy don't kill

Except Shadow. But he has a licence to kill.

It's funny because the Japanese text has Omega outright quote his old EXTERMINATION MODE shit, but in english he's just cheesed up for the "PAYBACK INEVITABLE" one-liner after failing to shoot Infinite and not being shown shooting or fighting anything else

IN THE DISTANCE I CAN SEE THE LIGHT OF HOPE

>tfw you realize the credits song is a meta statement about the future of the series

English translations aren't that great isn't a surprise, tbf. I'd recommend taking off the name before you get shat on for that.

Are you always this outraged over minor bullshit?

you can't tell me what to do

Omega, initiate namefag extermination protocol.

Sonic fans tend to do that.

huh, somehow I completely forgot that was even a thing when I posted a thread somewhere else last night and used it for a name joke

Why're you acting like i'm "outraged"? I just find it hilarious how the game wants to be all dark and then turns back on itself like they had no idea what to do

The game doesn't want to be dark. Forces is more heroic than previous games, there is more in jeopardy this time. If the game was dark they would've shown Sonic's torture, Amy's suicidal depresiĆ³n, death galore.

If we look at the original writing and not the Pontaff shit, Tails didn't "lose it" and disappeared after Sonic got knocked out with everyone presuming the worst. And torture wasn't exactly used either, meaning the localization intentionally edged it up.

Besides, Infinite fucking blows up a bunch of people on-screen with it treated as kills by all means, and they don't even attempt to dance around that.

Are we boned?

Sonic Pocket Adventure

That depends. What exactly is Sonic Mania's "essence?"

not exactly what you asked for but it's in the same spirit at least

I would say Forces is standard action adventure fare. Abundant dangers our heroes must overcome to triumph.

This gives me hope but also fear.

What they should take from Mania:
>Direction
>Focus
>Love
>Polish
>Momentum good luck Iizuka

What Sonic Team thinks they should take from Mania:
>Classic Sonic
>Green Hill and Chemical Plant
>Oil Ocean act 2 boss

They'll deduce that it's success comes from the fact that it doesn't just contain Classic Sonic and Green Hill Zone, but that it has Classic Sonic, Green Hill Zone, Classic Eggman and Classic Tails, just like Generations!

Pretty good, user!