What was his fucking problem?

What was his fucking problem?

he was ugly

He was a westaboo
Some of you are alright, Don't go to Honnouji tomorrow.

He was an asshole but much like Sherman he understood war was hell and to see it done as quickly as possible, it required excessive force. Plus he absolutely detested those stuck in their ways that would see the country stagnate.

To temper that he was seriously a visionary. His instituted economic reforms and theories that sought to modernize the economy, removing monopolies and creating bustling castle towns as well as establishing foreign trade. He created a merit based system that saw retainers advance through achievement rather than lineage and opened avenues for commoners to become samurai. He was a well known patron of the arts, literature, architecture, psychology and war theory. Overall, Nobunaga is pretty fucking based and one of the most interesting figures of the Sengoku Jidai.

But his personality didn't do him any favors. I seriously don't know a politician anywhere who had to deal with more personal betrayals, mainly stemming from the fact that the guy was just an asshole.

He looks really white in that picture

WE

That's not actually him though. Just somebody who supposedly looked like him.

How exactly did they take a photo of Oda Nobunga if he died before they invented cameras? I think you've been gypped OP.

Looks more like a photo of a portrait.

It's an Italian painting started a year after his death.

Where's a good place to start learning about this guy? All I know is he fucked a trap.

He was a samurai just a very intelligent one

all the other samurai would have probably done the same things he did if they were on a roll (except Kenshin that mary sue)

Nobunaga was a real badass. He was totally different from other warlords of the time.

"This King of Owari, who would be around 37 years old, is tall of stature, lean, sparsely bearded, with extremely sonorous voice, given to military exercises, indefatigable, inclined to works of justice and compassion, arrogant, a great lover of honour, very secretive in his decisions, a master of stratagems, hardly or not at all mindful of the reprimands or advice of his subordinates, and is feared and venerated by all to the highest degree. He does not drink wine, is brusque in his manner, looks down upon all the other kings and princes of Japan and speaks to them with disdain as if to his inferiors, is totally obeyed by all as the absolute lord, has good understanding and sharp judgements, despises the gods, the Buddhas, and all other kinds of idolatry and pagan superstition. Nominally, he professes to belong to the Lotus sect, but openly declares that there is no creator of the universe, no immortality of the soul, or life after death. His buildings are very clean and refined, and always in perfect order. He hates delays and circumlocution, and not even a prince appears before him bearing a sword; he always has two thousand pages or mounted guards with him. His father was Lord of Owari Province, but he, through his immense energy, has subjected seventeen or eighteen provinces in the last four years. He conquered the eight [sic] central provinces, including the metropolitan province of Yamashiro, in seven or eight days."

This was written in 1569 by westerner Luis Frois.

Underrated post because Veeky Forums thinks humor is a spook

>hardly or not at all mindful of the reprimands or advice of his subordinates, and is feared and venerated by all to the highest degree.

>looks down upon all the other kings and princes of Japan and speaks to them with disdain as if to his inferiors

And thats why they hated him

>a high level of discourse is expected

>HAHAHA HOW IS "NOT HAVING ENOUGH SAMURAI IS A PROBLEM" REAL? HAHAHA NIGGA JUST ARM PEASANT-SOLDIERS WITH PIKES, NIGGA JUST GIVE THEM GUNS HAHAHA

>on Veeky Forums
>has never heard of intelligent humor

He was a great man but kind of an edgy asshole tbqh, his assassination was inevitable.

He was a true apex alpha male

>Not afraid to step on other people's toes to get what he wants
>Knows he is the best and makes sure everyone else knows that
>Military genius that revolutionized war in Japan and isnt afraid to take risks and use unorthodox tactics
>Encouraged meritocracy and free trade which created a lot of wealth in his lands
>Man of reason, doesnt follow religious dogmas and superstitions
>Fucked countless concubines and delicious trap booties

He was a great man worthy of admiration and I would place him on par with the likes of Napoleon, Ceasar and Cao Cao

Are you sure he isn't just Cao Cao reincarnated?

he's literally another reincarnation of napoleon

Oda Ashigaru have plus morale and attack and are dirt cheap as fuck.

There is a new chinese cartoon called nobunaga no shinobi, it's got few minute long cutesy episodes that are actually historically accurate.

It's pretty fun.

Kek I've been watching that. I just hate how slow It moves. 7 episodes just to kill Yoshimoto.

I really hope they manage to cover most of his life

Yeah, it's pretty slow.
Best thing for me is gremlin hideyoshi

was this the dude that did a couple of massacres or was it one of those 2 guys that came after him?

He did. Pretty much the monks he was fighting decided to hole up in the mountain fortress towns, with the civilian followers hoping Nobunaga would break himself with a siege.

So Nobunaga burned it all down. With no survivors.

So what was combat between ashigeru like? During Pike and Shot in Europe the pike blocks would engage head on in "push of pike", did anything like that happen during the sengoku period?

During Nobunaga's time the ashigaru would form blocks, point their pikes forward, and swipe them up and down slapping the other side's pikes down and slashing them in the face. The spears towards the back of the block would try to stab.

And they would do this until. holes opened up and then samurai would charge through the gaps.

My fellow total war brother

Wasn't that just what they did for the movies?

As far as I'm aware that's how it was done. The problem is a lack of primary sources on the issue. Few of the records from that time actually talk about the ashigaru in any depth and the artwork removes them almost entirely.

There is at least one reference it in a Japanese source.

What?

Have you tried going mad without power?

Everybody gives Oda so much shit for burning those Buddhists, but come on, you leave the guys alone long enough they start burning themselves anyway

Nigga, no. There is a reason why the Japanese Yari is literally a double edged sword on a very long pole.

Pike blocks used in a swatting is old as fuck in East Asia. For example, in China, the Ji """"""""halberds""""""""" aren't all really true halberds as the mainline infantry in China used a Ji mounted on a pike pole, and utilized a swatting motion to bury the dagger axe bit of the pike in an enemy soldier's head while the enemy also dealt with cunts who were thrusting their Ji pikes.

It was common in East Asia to use pike-style weapons in a swatting motion like overlong poleaxes.

No problem. He was just another good leader unfairly vilified by lies of his victorious enemies, like King Richard III or Adolf Hitler.

It's a photo of ye olde cosplay.

Those monks were assholes. They were greasy motherfuckers who drank, had plenty of women, and were essentially a glorified gang.

How much better off would Japan have been if Nobunaga won (well, completed his consolidation) and we got the Oda Shogunate? It's kind of funny reading that, especially the more fluid class advancement, and then looking at what the Tokugawa did with how rigid and static they tried to keep society to the point where samurai were broke as fuck becuase they were still being paid in koku and paid in amounts from 200 years prior or some bullshit like that.

Oh I know, I just can't resist that joke

There wouldn't have been an Oda shogunate because he didn't give a shit about that form of government. He'd probably get rid of the imperial court too since they'd serve no purpose.

kekd