incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

reminder that if you use unity or gamemaker then you're not a game developer

>source is an instantly bannable offense
FUCKING FINALLY

Good thing I use ue4 and blueprints like a real dev.

>sburce
How fully drunk are you?

little pupper inspires me

i dont give up

>so unironically drunk he spelled source "sburce" on his phone
off to a great start reek

I honestly think Godot's approach with GDScript is the better way to do things than adopting an existing language like C#. With GDScript you have a language that's purpose-built for game development, specifically designed for the engine it's used in. The language lets you write extremely simple code that is optimized for ideal performance at the engine level.

Contrast with Unity and C#. You have to write code that ignores built-in language features (String concatenation, iterators, etc.). You have to write ceremony boilerplate, create a class that specifically matches the name of the script file, etc. And then you have to fight with the GC at the script level.

C# is easily the worst part of the Unity ecosystem, and yet everyone is clammoring to bring that shitheap over to Godot. What benefit is there, other than "I only know C# and hate different things"?

string realism, most important feature

Stupid dumb nigger fuck.

Post a screenshot of Source! I dare you!

You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

What features a programming language "purpose-built for game development" has, as opposed to a language not built for game development? Boilerplate code and GC exist in GDScript also you know.

The fact there still is some slack on the line on the fishing pole itself irks me.
But whatever, good work.

For the most "beginner friendly" engine, Unity actually lacks a lot of simple features you'd want to have as a beginner. I would love to see them adopt a proper scripting language instead of the C# bindings they currently offer.

It would be great to be able to write something like:

[code]
var speed: Float
private var rb = get()

override fun fixedUpdate() {
var movement = vec3(axis("Horizontal"), 0.0f, axis("Vertical"))
rb.addForce(movement * speed)
}
[/code]

instead of

[code]
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class PlayerController : MonoBehaviour {

public float speed;

private Rigidbody rb;

void Start ()
{
rb = GetComponent();
}

void FixedUpdate ()
{
float moveHorizontal = Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal");
float moveVertical = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical");

Vector3 movement = new Vector3 (moveHorizontal, 0.0f, moveVertical);

rb.AddForce (movement * speed);
}
}
[/code]

In a dream world the above code would also automatically use object pooling for the vector so it's not creating new garbage every update, like the default behavior in C#.

ah true, I wasn't paying attention to that
I'll see if it looks better straightened on the texture, should be easy enough to try... it's probably not something I could do dynamically

Or you could keep the slack when the line hasn't been cast and switch to a texture where the line is straight when it's cast.

>that fucking lighting
delete this

If I want to make both 2D & 3D games, what would be the best course of action?

- Learn specialized game engines for both cases, GameMaker for 2D & Unreal for 3D?
-Learn Unity (maybe a bit less efficient for 2D)?

STUPID
DUMB
NIGGER
SCUM

What do you think of my unity game?

NICE!!!!!!

>sourcenigger thinks he can post itt

Lol. :)

the Source posts and the systematic dozens of replies of it are the same person. it's the same shitter in every thread trying to force his shit meme.
do not respond, ignore and report.

This
It's stupid dumb nigger scum. Don't even look at it!

What engine do you use?

Thank you for explaining. I'm the guy that asked the time in the previous thread, I had absolutely no fucking idea what was going on. Never did get the time either.

Hey anons, another do my hw question here. I want to make an ARPG (similar to something like Ys' gameplay)

If I'm a whizz C & C++ programmer who knows his hardware level on up, and absolutely must have a native Linux release (so no UE4 afaik, plus don't wanna deal with royalties), what do you guys think I should dev with? I know Unity and Gamemaker are cancer, even before lurking your generals.

It seems like Love and Godot are my best choices. I don't know Lua yet, but I do know Python already. Making me lean towards Godot, but I wanna know if you guys think I'm missing something (short of coding my own engine, which while fun, would take far too long)

Thought you were lolisim dev based on the thumbnail

"make games not engine" is not a joke, user.
Unless you got what it take to succeed.

Nobody gives a fuck if you can code in c++ or whatever languages you are in if you can't make a game.

Such a wholesome response, you are my favourite person.

What do you think of my C++ game?

Not a compliment I assume?

>Not a compliment I assume?
Not really a compliment, but not really an insult either. Just and observation that you are using sort of the same colorscheme

Lol. Stupid faggot. Look at him. Look at him and laugh. :)

I know. Having seen a lot of people think they have what it takes to follow through in real irl, I know the kind of people that must usually roll through your generals. I don't know if I have what it takes. I mentioned the experience though cuz I know you don't need intimate knowledge of the machine to make a game. I'm saying I have it, and would like to apply it when possible

I didn't anticipate people talking about making their own engines though. I'm just clowning, that's obviously not a real option

what a dumb nigger

hahahahahahahahaha

While I’m already making it that the attack animation is disrupted when you hit a wall, sometimes the hit detection still manages to detect the enemies (if the hit detection found enemies before the attack got disrupted).

So here’s another test to make sure you can’t damage through walls/barriers, but still hit enemies on the same side as you are. This doesn’t happen all the time though, so it took me a lot of tries to even get to show this in recording.

The cyan lines indicate hit detection on enemies, but the purple X on the left one indicates it found a wall at that spot, so damaging didn’t proceed.

How do you align held objects to the rig when using Mecanim? My animations work just fine in Blender, but my character's sword is all over the place once imported. I've tried parenting it to both the control bone and the deformation bone, but that just makes it mess up in a different way.

There's a really delicate balance when you clone a game, where you want to be similar enough for players to associate all the good qualities of the original with your clone, but not similar enough that they'll be able to make a direct comparison.

Your game is too similar. It just looks like a really low budget/low quality bootleg of Dark Souls. If you changed up the art style or went for a different aesthetic, you could get all the free marketing that comes with cloning Dark Souls but without looking like a really poor imitation.

you'll probably need to rotate it 90 degrees on some axis, due to the fact that blender uses z axis for up-to-down while unity uses y axis for that

An management game where you program the AI of your units yourself.

Basically Factorio, or pretty much any Zachtronics game.

FF12

>Boilerplate code and GC exist in GDScript also you know.
You don't need boilerplate and there's no garbage collection, just reference counting.

You just gave me an answer to something I've been thinking about for the past week. Many thanks.

what was that

There's really cool mobile game where you do this... It's called "Gladiabots". Look it up

Just something about breaking up ai and having more modular control over behaviors/priorities. You know when you are looking at something from the wrong angle and get stuck there?

Robot building/fighting game. You gather resources and craft parts for the robots.

Parts you can craft (better/more resources means better parts)
Battery = How long your robot can roam the land before running out of power
Engine = How efficient battery usage is
Chasis/Shielding = How many hitpoints the robot has
Weapons/Tools = Interaction with the environment
Processor = How fast the AI is executed
Memory = How many nodes in the AI node-based editor you can use
Storage = How much storage the robot has

Robots can either go gather resources, build or fight stuff. Maybe make it multiplayer so players can fight eachother.
But then the question becomes, how do you make it balanced for new players. New players will be outmatched by older players with all the resources. Do you do what rust does and reset it every week? Do you do what runescape does and only have certain pvp areas, and other areas are basically single player with trading? Do you have short 3 hour matches?

>can't extend eventhandler and add functionality for handling events in custom order
gayy

>un*ty

So Armored Core with gathering? ACxMH? I would play the absolute shit out of that.

Every event handler should handle its own event when it receives it. It's an extremely simple pattern with exactly one purpose.

If you want to change the order of events, you need to modify how they're being raised/produced. The handler shouldn't give a shit about anything else going on in the code except handling the one specific event it responds to.

Whats the hate with unity over here?

If it werks it werks...

nice idea, i'll steal it

mine now

No you cant.

Some people believe in the quality of their work, and don't consider "good enough" to be good enough.

Others, like yourself, are perfectly content slapping their name on something subpar.

After you steal it Im gonna mug you in the carpark for that idea.

Who is going to do a proper robot arena 2 spiritual sequel?
It would be extremely easy to do since it's just 90% physics objects interacting.

>This level of fake elitism.

user, it's hard enough to find time to create an alpha of an alpha version of a game(that you will never probably release) to start getting picky, if you feel comfortable and achieve things with it stick with whathever engine you use and achieve things.

show us your game

How am I supposed to handle play testing if I only know one person?

get more friends

That's stupid.
I just want to add a method which receives a function to be called last, and then call that last.
Having to modify the order that events are added is even more against the pattern of events.

Make a demo in itch.io with a pretty gif

>Unity is fucking garbage. It's impossible to make a good game in un-

*blocks your path*

a bad craftsman always blames his tools

Different engines have advantages and disadvantages with different possibilities but ultimately you can make a fun game with anything. It's like producers arguing over which DAW is the best.

It doesn't sound like you're using events in a way that they're meant to be used. Events are handled asynchronously, there's no "order". An event is raised when it occurs and is handled as soon as its listener is aware of it.

Even if you changed the order the events are raised, there's no guarantee they would be handled in the order you raise them.

What you're describing sounds more like a sequence, queue, or stack.

>Game using none of unity's selling points or unique features
>Is a good game

You are retarded.

What do you think are it's selling points or unique features?

giving (you)s to engine shitposters.stop it.

Unity
>M-muh asset store
>M-muh 3d
>M-m-muh br-brr-browser ss-support!
>M-mm-muh physics engine
>Mm-muh inbuilt particles
and the list goes on.

Cuphead could've been made in any engine, even GMS, or just built from scratch. Cuphead uses nothing about its engine. It's a game that is technically simple, but relies on good art and game design.
Thinking cuphead makes unity better is just delusional. If anything, cuphead shows that engines dont matter.

dodge rolling let's you roll down hills faster. I've been tweaking it for a while. it's almost working how i want it to. I spend way too much time messing with animation. i still need to alter the speed values you gain (have landing effect it) and how you exit the roll after rolling for a while. I can't wait to start replacing this ugly test environment with actual art next.

I wanna create a 3D engine. To keep me motivated i'd like to post progress in agdg threads, but i'm afraid of getting shit on because i'd only be posting graphics demos and maybe snippets of code and not actual gameplay. What do?

You are retarded but came to the right conclusion, how interesting.

alright the bets are open agdg, how much will this one gather on kickstarter ?

what do you use to make it?

Go to the engine dev general \ make it again.

I have this almost superstitious fear that kickstarter is bad luck and will doom the project to be a disappointment and ruin my life.

GameMaker studio

Fuck the kickstarter then, just pour everything you got into making this game great.

How much money have you made with bibby o gaymes?

go to /g/ or stop being a thinskinned cunt

Looks very smooth and fluid, well done. Gonna keep an eye out for this

Now that I'm with the Veeky Forumseniouses

Why I never hear about the blender game engine? Whats so bad about it?

I'm a brainlet and don't know how to program to save my life, but recently I've been writing a story and realized the best medium to tell it in would be through videogames. I want to make something akin to 999, a visual novel with escape-the-room type scenarios. If you're curious the plot is basically Saw but with waifus.

Anyway, where should I even start? Someone said Unity is pretty much drag and drop at this point, is that true? Should I go for an easier, but more limited engine like Gamemaker, RPGMaker, etc?

>i want to make a menu simulator
avoid gamemaker

Engines only get popular if they have 1 of 2 charectistics
1. Easy to use, so newbies and casual gamedevs leap on to it like flies to fly paper
or
2. Immense power. You can make incredibly beautiful and realistic games with it. Often used by professionals and bigger game studios.

I figured, I was just throwing names out honestly.

Gamemaker is better than anything for menu games.
Just don't be retarded,

Blender is not purposely a game engine. It just had customize-able rendering engine support, so it just sort of unintentionally became a program people could make games in.

If you don't want to complicate yourself too much and stick to CYOAs... twine+sugarcube

Done

Just use Godot if you want Blender's looks, Godot is designed to look like Eevee.

>to manage menu layouts you need to either change rooms (shit if you have anything going on in the game besides these menus) or type coordinates of things by hand (unwieldy)
yeah not really

Seems a little too limited for my tastes, but I can see it's use.

Originally I was gonna jump on the bandwagon and use Ren'py honestly, but I realized then the puzzles would be boring as shit since I'd like for them to be a bit more than just "choose one of these and hope you get it right."

How much are y'all using UML to structure your program so it actually makes sense?

And are you remembering to document your code?

I have seen some very interactive stuff being done with twine, but it all depends how much complicated do you want to make it, I will leave this part to you.

Is just that I learnt that I would rather have something that lets focus on what I want, than having to fight against a swiss knife of an engine for the sake of features and power.

An entire folder of abandoned , half-assed, projects and tutorials can confirm that.