/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

HAPPENING edition
Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.01), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!EHAQmKjB!Lg8ggEYzB2xdTgYaqL44jDZwEsPCyuwZUIh9kIi6ibU
mega.nz/#!FXRRGJjI!PGeHAyKahjxk6zp0wp2dXXYe5HAZy3Or03lKEV0kZoc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A migrant has arrived.

A migrant has buttsex. It was inevitable.

Abridged changelog

>Getting a good run going on a Terrifying region
>Have a decent base set up
>All the sudden Merchants arrive in my region
>"Infernal storm approaching your destination!"
>Infernal Storm engulfs the entire Merchant caravan just as they get into my stronghold
>Suddenly my entire fort is overrun by undead husks

It must be solved with violent force

I like the pedestals

now that i can do what i've always wanted i've taken the plunge into this game. i somehow managed to disable the context menu and i dont know how.

It was inevitable.

>Infernal storm
Man, that sounds cool. The only thing that ever rains in my evil biomes is either goblin blood or repulsive mucus.

Press tab.

>128 posters in the last thread
Neat

This game is terrible. This was a Kickstarter game long before Kickstarter existed. People only like it for the idea of the game - most people don't even play it due to terrible controls that have been a problem for a decade. It's cringey fanbase conflates bugs with lore, with most stories all about dated 10-year-old gameplay of drunken cats and killing giants with bunnies that would make even TVTropes cringe. The long delays between updates shows the incompetence of the developer - high-priority bugs like telling your soldiers how to dress properly could have been solved by any semi-competent developer but the dev instead chooses to add things like more dialogue options that could have been added in mere minutes by even a beginning programmer - a task which took Toady almost a decade.

It's just like Minecraft or Overgrowth or Cube World: once it leaves alpha everyone will realize how shit it truly is. Of course Toady is clever enough to make sure that day never truly comes and that he gets a steady paycheck until the end of time. You never liked Dwarf Fortress, only the idea of what it could be.

>ADDENDUM: My Linux computer died during the release process, so the Linux version will have to be delayed until we figure that out
Penguin posters literally BTFO

>game
That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

It's cool, user. Many a new Urist has accidentally done that.

Waiter, this copypasta is stale.

haha excellent trolling my man!

It's funny, when it engulfed the Diplomat a message popped up on my screen that said "A Diplomat has gone home unhappy." as I watched him maul my little dwarves to death in his zombified state.

>Museums and other room types can be added to fort locations like taverns and libraries

Anyone tried this shit? Are there any fancy occupations related to museums? What other room types is he talking about?

Works_perfectly_on_Wine.jpg

that doesnt sound too happy

Current plan is building a mean looking fort and stealing a slab I guess

How long will it take for df therapist to update :(

Ugh, I can't go through all the shit it takes to get all the shit wine needs so I can load it up just to discover I happened to upgrade to one of the newer incompatible versions of a library that is apparently desperately required by it so I end up deciding to install it in an /opt only to discover I already did that but it's an older version which broke at some point because it's been years since I needed to even think about windows so I gotta make a tough decision and see if I want to diagnose the existing install or rip it all out and start from scratch and fuck it I'll just wait for the linux version instead.

Post your best Dwarf Fort memes

>

This is probably my favorite.

aaaand, I cant seem to be able to make worlds, they always crash...excelent

>Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here

Play now has just some basic set up, not really interesting.

my bad

You're not the boss of me.

I can't wait for the myths update. I always love seeing that myth generator in presentations.

So what sort of performance can I expet with a core m3?
I really just want something comfy, like 30-40 dwarves max.
Will use mods for perfomance if needed.

Obok the Meat God.

Limonite is my favorite iron ore. Dunno why.

Wont complain more, but can someone make a cool, filled up mdium world and upload it?
I've been waiting for so long to play this, and now I can't, help a brother out familia

Can you assign a location over multiple z-levels?

if you are talking about a zone like a library or bar, then yeah

The game'll properly understand it

>MAGMAM

I don’t have the crashing problem but my comp is slow as shit. Any specific settings you want?

I should mention I already have a large world generated with around 400 year history which I haven’t embarked upon yet if that is ok.

s-stop making fun of m-me!

yes
it is the duty of all fortresses to burrow straight down to the DELICIOUS ALCOHOL beneath them

Just gen a world with settlements of the main races close by, and some towers, and I'll be happy
I trust your aesthetic sense

>I trust your aesthetic sense
I feel sorry for you. I only plan to let it run for around 120 years so you can get playing soon TM

Give me ASCII or give me death

I haven't really interacted with the new features yet, just getting back into the game:

>first victim got hit by a falling tree
>alright, whatever
>forgot that you should channel from above, several layers one by one instead of mining them out, leaving the floors
>second victim crashes through 3 floors and lands in my copper stockpile
>third victim gets hit on the head by the collapsing roof right in his workshop, which promptly gets destroyed too.
>Legendary weaponsmith just barely misses getting hit on the head in his workshop by the second victim because he just went to have a drink

I forgot so many details in day to day fortress life. I'm having fun!

no problem, that was the time I wanted
thanks for your effort

SIX
SECONDS

wasn't it like an entire weekend though?

Hey guys, new DFhack for new version when?

I can't seem to generate a medium world for some reason, having no problems with large worlds though. Would it be alright with a large one?

>you have struck platinum!
>you have struck gold!

all the riches!

40 days

yeah, no prob, better than pocket I guess
Small worlds are also fine

>Had a weird bug where miner appeared on top of a tree
>Cut the tree down and hope he survives the fall
>Survives, but panics from getting hurt and tries to run away from the map
>SoundSense keeps making an annoying ping sound as he keeps trying to to past the edge of the map
How long does it usually take for dwarves to calm down?

MILF

this update is exciting but is it FUN?

>dwarf fortress
>fun

it originally said eve online or something. then nu-bay12 made their own edit. it's literally made by the people who spend more time on the forums talking about the concept of DF, than actually playing DF.

They don't seem that unknown to me

As I heard, it went like this:
>We independent nao
>YAAAAY
>oh wait, not really, we still have to talk things over, he he he
>...

>examine elf
>10% of the time they're fair skinned and blonde without non-crooked noses
this is lame i want LOTR looking elves not this sjw body positivity shit

Fellas, DFHack was updated.

To 0.43.05

That is basically it, the madman announced independent then immediately retracted it
Theres a video of the crowd reacting to it life somewhere

Alright here is a small world.
mega.nz/#!EHAQmKjB!Lg8ggEYzB2xdTgYaqL44jDZwEsPCyuwZUIh9kIi6ibU

also a large older world
mega.nz/#!FXRRGJjI!PGeHAyKahjxk6zp0wp2dXXYe5HAZy3Or03lKEV0kZoc

This may or may not be bait, but I also have issues with this. What benefit is there to making my dwarves look like rural mexican people 95 percent of the time?

bless you

>agrees with me
>thinks i'm baiting

>building bedrooms with walls and floors does not worth it because you can't engrave
why, all I wanted good looking bedrooms

Proper dorfs would throw tantrums and just overthrow their shitty government already.
Humans suck, period.

Tell me if you encounter any problems with it. Also glad to be able to help somewhat.

So, how is adventure mode, currently?

You could always mod away the features you didn't like. I've actually just copied the human civ, made it playable, and set it so they can only have pale taupe skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes. My mission is now to create perfect warrior ubermensch and wipe out the lesser races.

You can always create your own eugenics program as characters can not get traits they don't inherit.

Engraving every surface is ridiculous anyways.

You shut your whore mouth.

>Captain_Duck is streaming
Is this 2015

I considered that a few times years ago, the last time I played. The problem was that out of like 60 dwarves, only one had non-brown eyes, let alone pale skin or blond hair.

i just tuned in and i can't even understand this guy. the music is way louder than his mic and he's mumbling

My first artifact in the new setup!

>still dreaming of the day when I can play adventurer mode and create my own little hamlet, write books and compose songs, and occasionally host travelers in my bed and breakfast for coin and trade
how much longer until adventurers can actually build worthwhile things fuck

You can litteraly do this except for the last part.

You can do all that in adventure mode currently except it's not exactly a hamlet

Was just about to say

Can you dig into the earth, smelt ore, forge metal, fell trees, gather plants, and use your own workshops and stockpiles?

Cant dig or smelt, but carpentry and woodcutting yeah.

EY WE GOT THE MOST OVER ERE

Companions you've recruited will join you and stay in your keeps, and build with you. If only the drunks you recruited could learn to spar and stuff, you'd be playing a watered down surface only dwarf fortress.

Whats new with strange moods and artifact creating in forts?
Id appreciate a rundown