gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2017
itch.io/jam/wide-dot-pixel-game-jam-2017
pastebin.com/6cANAwvh
youtu.be/aXTOUnzNo64
store.steampowered.com/app/674520/FightN_Rage/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that you can do it, never give up!

reminder to only give up after selling 60 copies of failure

itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2017

itch.io/jam/wide-dot-pixel-game-jam-2017

>selling 60
>failure
user, I'd be ecstatic if 60 people bought my game.

stop posting shitty joke jams

i did this question last thread with no answer, what do you think is better Inverse Kinematic attack animation or Animation Attack?
Someone with experience about this topic?

>Dude, just give them priority toilets based on home toilet, school then public toilets (maccas petrol station etc where you can kidnap easier)

No, since then they'd run home when they're at school instead of going. You'd have to factor in distance too. And what I suggested would have the effect that it would. If you wanted to be extra-explicit you could make a function mixing bladder-fullness, distance-to-toilet and whether the toilet is in their house or the school or what.

If it's an action game I'd much prefer an animation attack since it will be more consistent and accurate every time I attack. If it's a simulation or meant to be more realistic, then IK can work.

Are "virtual consoles" a meme?

What do you even mean

Basically I have units in the game world and unit markers in the UI. Some interactions with the UI use the units and others use the markers, so I need a collection where I can find one from the other and vice versa.

Two dictionaries works:
if(markers.Contains(unit)) { }
if(units.Contains(marker)) { }

but I have to manually maintain both collections, so I was wondering if there was a built in C#/.NET collection that has a double associative lookup.

back to making them arts.

just get your girlfriend to make your art, that's what I do

not too sure, maybe you could have the units register themselves to lists based on markers
or vise versa

>jpg
why

I want to learn to code
where do I start

Maybe look up some tutorials for C#, easy to get started

start with learning how to google learning materials

google "how to Python"

thanks, time to die

Are you making an actual rogue like or a shitty meme game for youtubers?

A proper rogue like should be an epic adventure. It should last 50+ levels and be something you spend months trying to complete. Nethack is a prime example.

If you're making a shitty meme game then 5-10 because who even cares any more? Why invest time and effort into a big adventure game when you can play an arcade game and claim it's rogue like since you can die in it

he literally clarified what he wanted a few replies down, fuck off with your dumbass shit

Sometimes I think I'm autistic about roguelikes vs roguelites.
But at least I now know I'm not this autistic.

You guys better not buy the assets I'm using during the CG trader black friday sale!

Stay away from my spaceships!

go away cgpitbull

How much effort would it take to make a game like Sid Meier's Pirates?

Rewatching Dragonball has really inspired me to make an open ended martial arts game where you have weird adventures and training in between annual world tournaments

I'm talking something mostly text based with some minigames

do you have privilege?

Sure why not

pitch and yaw are fucked up when I start using roll, anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? pastebin.com/6cANAwvh

You can't rotate something well by manipulating the euler angles directly. Try using transform.rotate()

weirdly enough that worked beautifully, i thought rotate basically did the same thing I guess not. thank you

welcome to gimbal lock, start using Quaternions for everything

why is gms 2 so expensive?

YoYo is desperate for sales. They realize their engine is being replaced by other engines now, so they're milking it while they still have customers, before it finally dies.

Rotation isn't actually euler angles, it´s quaternions.

>look at my design document
>it has stuff for not just my current game, but future games
>future games are more detailed in concept and story than my current one
>even more detailed than I thought
>no idea how to make the gameplay in those future games work
>no idea what story to put in my current game
>barely have themes for my current game
>concepts are not compatible so I can't just combine them to make one better game
>running out of things I want to add to my game that aren't going to be huge tasks
>have been devving for a year and a half
>don't want to stop, but it's harder to get started than it used to be
what do I do?

read his pastebin user

So the game I'm planning to make has a similar scope to something like Hyper Light Drifter but with simpler graphics

How the fuck did that game make 650k on kickstarter and how the fuck did it need that much? Am I kidding myself if I think I can make something similar as a 1MA with like two years of free time?

Not to make you want to kill yourself but moving the ship like that is going to make collision detection absolute shit as you're effectively teleporting the object, you're going to need to use actual physics and forces to move the ship if you want it to interact with anything.

Oh i know, I just wanted to do it like this to quickly get something moving

>year and a half
>what do I do?
finish it already

It made a truckload because it was stylistic as fuck with great ambiance. Great art direction is all you need to sell indie games.

I meant in unity.

How were games able to run fine on the NES but my shitty gamemaker game can't even run well?

I'm trying
I can't just pull a story and set of upgrades out of my ass
I mean I can't but they would be shit
I still don't have some gameplay and UI things set up

do you really need a story?
prune unneeded things, figure out the path of least resistance towards completion.

nes games were meticulously pieced together in assembler by (usually) skilled programmers who had to know what they're doing and what they're using
a modern engine has to be elastic (and as a result usually heavy) to support bazillions of different things in gazillions of different combinations while still allowing half-brains to use it

I think you should watch this talk
youtu.be/aXTOUnzNo64

You can't add or subtract Euler angles like in your right/left keys and expect consistent results. That's why Quaternions were invented. A Quaternion representing a yaw of +90 added to your plane's current rotation will always cause your plane to turn right (from the perspective of the pilot) no matter if the plane is upside down, sideways, whatever. So if you want right to always turn right, no matter what the current orientation, add a quaternion not a euler.

I give up

Quick, anons!

What are some good mechanics/features for a beat 'em up game?

I'm trying to use behavior trees in UE4

I see how this could be done in code for the most part, though its kind of difficult referencing blueprints and AI related stuff from C++

Should I just use blueprints most of the way for initializing blackboards etc?

Seems like C++ would be more maintainable and it can be diffed by version control

Anyone have experience with this?

Context sensitive health pinatas
See doom

"friendly fire" for all entities so you can "outsmart your enemies!"

auto-attack has a chance to one-shot enemy

well I'm not planning on War and Peace here, just a reason to go from A to B that's better than "rescue the princess"
also as I said I want the gameplay to progress but I'm not sure how

boobs

that's not how economics works

No, you don't.

the idea that you /need/ a story to have a reason to go from A to B is dumb.
surely you've heard of mountain climbers saying they climed some mountain "because it's there" that is really all a game needs to compel someone who enjoys what it offers.

user here isn't wrong. You have to make sure they bounce really nicely though if that is the route you are going to take. Idle, running, jumping+landing, sliding, striking, taking hits. Make them bounce and slide and jiggle with a vengeance.

I give up too

I'm thankful for YOU, that's right, you reading this post right now.

slamming people against walls. a large number of equipable moves. throwing enemies. ground fighting.

I was originally planning on a perfunctory story, or about that level
"are you a bad enough dude?"-tier
lately I've been wanting something a bit more
no, it doesn't need it to be fun, but it needs it for certain people to take it more seriously
more importantly, I want it to have one
on top of that, nearly every game has some kind of story
you have "rescue the princess/president's daughter", "kill the boss", "break the curse", "cross the road", "stop the aliens", there's always a reason and usually at least some flavor text, even if it's limited to an attract mode or a manual

I kinda like the first two ideas and the last since they can work well with everything, although health piñatas could only happen with increased difficulty. Custom equipable moves and throwing is something I'm planning to implement, ground fighting and slamming against walls sounds fun as hell too

Also, I'm not sure how to add boobs, since punching them would give me a headache with any kind of media criticism because >it's current year
Creating a playable character with boobs is something I'm not sure if it'll work (there will be a female pc, but she won't be that attractive iirc).

Here with a question. Currently making a game in Game Maker. I want to have a boss that changes behavior depending on how much health it has. What is a good way to make it so it wouldn't constantly attempt to initialize the 2nd, 3rd, etc. phases if it lands on the exact amount of health it needs to switch behavior?

check trigger if health less than or equal to certain percentage do this

>>it's current year
Seems to have worked out just fine for this game
store.steampowered.com/app/674520/FightN_Rage/

I don't really have concerns about efficiency because I have a lot of time and patience and dedication, but some of the ancillary stuff he said was good to hear, thanks

if HP50 do the thing
if HP20 do that more desperate thing etc etc

Holy shit, thats some really jiggly boobs

A grappler character that can charge throws and practically turn enemies into human projectiles. Bonus points if they bounce

Keep it simple, have the behavior based on a phase variable, switch that variable around inside a switch statement.

switch phase {
case 1: if (hp < 70) phase = 2; set animation and other timers etc etc break;
case 2: etc etc }

Preferably only run that switch check on the step the boss is taking damage.

Glad it helped

At what point should you start posting progress here to not seem like a shill when your game releases? I've been working on my game for a while and lurking/posting text here for maybe 2 years now but I'd still like to keep it secret, but then I also don't want to get called a shill when I release it and post here to be counted as one of the boys.

do you really think anybody cares but you

just post progress already.

I guess I had better put in toilets now that lolis use them (as you can see in the amusing bug in where they have no toilet in their house so they just go into the one in the player's rape dungeon)

However, the poorfag houses are... small.

Should I put the upstairs or downstairs? I made two possible layouts here with before/after of each floor.

They will when I release the next big thing and overtake Risk of Rain as our biggest success here

If you haven't been posting progress before release you aren't "from" here

I prefer the ground floor before and the upstairs after, user

That's why I asked, my games still like at least a year away from applying for a government grant to complete it. How late is too late to start posting progress?

>applying for a government grant to complete it.
Pfhahahahahaha.

I guess a single parent sharing their room with their child isn't too weird for the poorfag small houses.

Exactly. If they're poorfags it's totally acceptable.

You'll see buddy

Yeah, those are always coming out great, can't wait.

Don't remind me of this garbage. Still can't believe they got a lot of money for developing this

Friendly reminder that this is one of your art experts here on AGDG.

It's as simple as 'if you have progress to post, post it'
If it is a matter of keeping storylines a secret don't post about storylines. If it's about character designs then post environment/enemy stuff. If there is literally nothing you can progress post about without it "ruining" the surprise I would take a serious step back and ask myself why being one of the boys is important to you. If you really have been here for 2 years lurking then you should know how it goes.

This was fantastic.

>can't decide on a name
>can't use the only idea I had because an upcoming game of the same genre has a very similar name already

i love titledev
wyg?

rrshooter

rr?

how about RR Shooter