/domg/ - Dominions General

3 more days edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep penetration.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP head first, the best learning experience is by playing the game

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Dominions 5

illwinter.com/dom5/

Other urls found in this thread:

illwinter.com/dom5/
imgur.com/a/LgOBX
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is Dominions 5 unironically made in Unity?

ded

won't be dead if we can keep this thread alive for 3 more days

Rus is a faggot faction for people that want to molest bears.

it also looks boring as shit, just like the other slavic nations

Does anybody know if it's possible to actually use the floating mind for expansion? Every time I try even if I go for a full blown 10 dom it seems to get raped by underwater indies.

It isn't. Ask Carlix.

We need to update OP for Dom5. Pastebin too.

awe is insufficient unless you're also running D5+ for fear

If you're not using D5+, then you need to take a bunch of E on it, at which point you may as well take a monster that has built in E and much higher base prot

MA Xibulba's time is coming. Prepare to welcome your toad Panko.

Any interest in a touhou Lunarian nation?

Well we don't have much for it yet so

The problem with 2hu nations is that the god is basically worth the rest of the nation combined.

I should probably just quit at this point.

Haven't started planning the gods yet, focusing on the military for now, thanks for the heads-up though. Hoping I can retain some of the flavour even if some aspects inevitably need to be toned down.

Thursday confirmed in 3 days.

Staling, the only way to beat Malakal.

I mean look, fairies are weak, right? Barring Clownpiece, Cirno is about as strong as literally every other fairy in Gensokyo combined. It's hard to stat that stuff, although I suppose having an absolutely stupid overpowered god combined with rubbish troop trees could be an interesting mechanic

It's certainly a bit of a challenge to stat some of this due to how zun writes and how dominions is, like I figured that Lunarians (those that aren't moon rabbits) would have stats similar to human-shaped celestials of eastern mythology, but where exactly do I get those? Tien'chi has a few heroes, but their stats seem to be all over the place.
I probably won't try to capture the differences in power too accurately for gameplay purposes and just focus on the abilities that make units interesting.

I mean again the problem with the Lunarians is that the way ZUN writes this stuff, it's almost impossible to stat them within Dominions. And someone like Reimu, Marisa, Yukari? Fucking forget it.

Those problems thankfully crop more easily when trying to include specific characters, which can be adapted or simply omitted, I'm focusing on the races and the technology for now. It might be better to say I'm drawing inspiration from the setting rather than recreating it, which hopefully would make for a relatively interesting nation. Long lifespans of Lunarians giving them resistance to burden of time, moon rabbit infantry with properties of rabbits, etc.

Someone say Touhou?

>resistance to burden of time
So very important tbqh

gunna bump this for you lads, haven't played a dominions game but i love GSGs and i want something more fantasy based.

what will the price be on dominions 5?

$25-45, hopefully closer to the former.

25$ would be nice.

bamp

Behold the Melqart, a being so mighty it can wield a sword and shield even after its arms have fallen off.

>those fucking wounds

>attack skill 0
what

Pretty sure Dom 4 was $30 on release, probably that. Just keep in mind that Dominions isn't like a traditional grand strat in that it's almost purely a multiplayer game, and the computer will only last you until you actually learn how to play the game.

I want my Dominions 5

Just let the general be dead until Sunday.

oh okay user, well i dont have anyone to play with so, thanks for the heads up

You play online with randos
over
fucking months

>over months
how will i be able to rely on randos

Almost no one has anyone to play with in Dominions because it's so niche, people post games online and people join in. You don't have to be social or good or have a whole lot of time, you just sign up for a game, and then every so often (generally 1-2 times a day) you'll get emailed a turn file, you put it in a folder, and take some time to do everything you need to do for that turn (can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour depending on how big your empire is, how many wars you're in, and how much testing / research / theorycrafting you want to do). After you're done, you just email your turn in, and once everyone in the game has finished up, it'll process everything that happened and send you your next turn.

Sounds weird to people that haven't done it, but it works well, ends up being pretty comfy, and gives you a lot of time to think about the game and what you want to do without stress or pressure.

And when I said it's pretty much entirely a multiplayer game, that's only because the AI isn't capable of taking advantage of the game mechanics in any real way. They just recruit a haphazard mess of units and throw them around. Doesn't stop you from planning and testing your strategies, but won't give you an engaging experience alone.

that is the great paradox of dominions
the key is to bully stalers

So about 600 hours of sp

Is this literally play by post?

play by email

PBEM
You can play by direct connection as well, but not many people want to invest that big of an uninterrupted time block, and the games are generally more shallow. There's at least some sort of blitz community here, though, if that's your thing.

You don't.

The joke is awful, but I still laughed.

I've got five people I play direct connection with. We'll play for ten hours straight sometimes.

>Their old code is so bad that switching to Unity actually improved performance and enabled real-time combat

Just join a dominions group either on Steam or Discord.

/v/anheim used to do like 3-4 games a day last year.

>human-shaped celestials of eastern mythology
You mean like yaksha and shit?

I've probably unironically spent that amount of time staring at the inspector

>Statting Lunarians
>Yorihime can summon god powers on a whim, and has canon defeated Remilia (reality manipulator), Sakuya (time manipulator), Reimu (reality manipulator), consecutively.
>Toyohime can travel to Earth then back to the Moon instantly because she has boundary manipulation that equals or even exceeds Yukari's. She also has a fan that generates such strong gusts of wind that it can obliterate large areas to an atomic level.
>Sagume can reverse situations by just talking about it
>Eirin is the immortal embodiment of intelligect

Why bother fighting for pantokratorship when they're already exactly that.
Lunarians are a pantheon of Pankomens

Actually yeah, quite possibly. I'll look into them next.

>Toyohime can travel to Earth then back to the Moon instantly because she has boundary manipulation that equals or even exceeds Yukari's
This at least is specifically limited to the earth-moon connection, so Yukari's is more versatile.

Been gone awhile. Is /domg/ going to be migrating to 5 or sticking to 4?

Definitely migrating to 5

5 looks strictly better than 4.

what's the difference?

illwinter.com/dom5/
Tons of quality of life and balance improvements

I hope someone sticks around for a month or two since I just got the game, and would like at least a taste of multiplayer

Looks pretty cool, I'm a little surprised they didn't add a school of magic though.

>Using Unity engine now
>Real time combat
>UI improved
>Bless effects reworked

Those are the main ones

No reason to stay with 4. Everybody will switch. Why would you buy 4 when 5 was just around the corner?

Just found about the series and since it was on sale, I was thinking about using it as a demo

Also im still reading the manual so should I just refund?

Yeah, get a refund, buy Dom5 in 2 days.
Spend the time reading the manual.

Ok, thanks user

Unity is such a strange choice for Dominions. It's definitely going to run better than their shitty 1990's in-house engine, but Unity is still garbage.

Also, consider the manual as more of a reference than a guide. You're going to get overload if you try to learn everything inside, I would suggest following its guided "tutorial" and then just using it as something to check when you're curious about a mechanic. You probably aren't going to remember that castle storming comes before global enchantments in the turn resolution sequence, but if you're in game and wondering why your utterdark spell didn't affect the battle that happened on the same turn, you can check the manual then and realize what happened.

Since the game has received updates since the manual was released, some of the specifics on spells and units isn't accurate any more, or was incomplete in the first place. If you have a question about any spell, unit, item, or event in the game, use the inspector instead of the manual.

Will there be a new content? Or just improvements of existing?

2 new nations and lots of new generics

>only one guy is doing Dominions 5 LPs so far
>he's terrible

There are 3 new nations. EA Rus, MA Uruk, and LA Erytheia.

I'll play with you.

DasTactic isn't exactly terrible, but he isn't exactly good either (especially for someone with "tactic" in their fucking username).

>you can create a random pretender by pressing 'r'

WTF

>when you take heat aura bless without fire resistance

Heat aura bless comes with complimentary fire resist iirc.

The most infuriating thing about him isn't his general cluelessness, frequent misinformation, or even the way he dithers around. It's the way he
clicks
fucking
EVERYTHING.
Hotkeys you idiot! The audience doesn't need to watch you navigate the UI for half the video. Goddamn.

I'm kinda new to this but I recently learned that over the course of Dom4, the costs of pretender chassis were reworked, which changed a lot of strategies. Is pre-change or post-change considered better balance wise? Do you think things will be changed again with Dom5?

>Uploads shitty low effort let's player content
>"Okay" player
>Reasonable decision to give the game early too, if only to introduce the game to new people

"Use hotkeys REEEEEEEE." Are you the target audience of the video?

>Is pre-change or post-change considered better balance wise?
I don't really think either is considered better balance-wise, just different.

>Do you think things will be changed again with Dom5?
From what I've seen of dom5 pretenders. costs seem in line with the current system so I don't think they'll change them.

The bless/recruitment point changes alone should change pretender building a lot.

I never understood why people don't just set up a server and leave it.

The turns don't process unless everyone has submitted a turn, and from memory there is an option for it to auto roll over after a given time on one turn.

Why do people use the weird PBEM way? Though I also found it odd they didn't implement a proper PBEM when even games like Civ IV still had it.

>Unity
What the fuck. I thought they were Linux lads.
Glad I'm getting a new PC in that case.

Reminder
imgur.com/a/LgOBX

Unity is cross-platform, but it's still shit.

Unity has a lot of problems on Linux in my experience.

Ulm-chan is cute! CUTE!

PBEM has a fair number of advantages in my opinion - automatic turn archiving (it's just sitting in your email), easy to see when you have a new turn (AFAIK none of the direct connect servers supports/supported email reminders on turn hosting), doesn't require remembering port/ip numbers, etc.

There have been a couple of attempts to set up a direct connect alternative to llamaserver (snek.earth, blitzserver), but direct connect doesn't have enough advantages to make it worth switching when llamaserver exists and is more stable and mature.

The only thing I miss about direct connect when doing PBEM is the 'mark turn as unfinished' option.

You know the game using Unity is a meme, right?

Yes I've solved that mystery, thank you.

This is amazing. Someone must've spent a fortune on these commissions.

I hoped it was a meme too, but multiple beta testers have unironically said it uses Unity now.

Plus, Illfraud explicitly said Dominions 5 will have a "New 3d-engine with better looking terrain, huge performance increase for good graphics cards."

It is quite obviously a meme.

>be a linux user
>rewrite what is probably 2 decades worth of C nonsense into C#
>for fucking unity

Next you'll be telling me about the Nethack unity port.

>New 3-d engine
lel

I sincerely hope you're right. But we'll see for sure in 2 days.

The United States Navy

>That fucking Zyzz comic right in the middle
What did he mean by this?

To get people like me to scroll through looking for an undead birb when you mention it

Someone give this brainlet a viable nature summons strategy