Serious Career Change: full-stack dev

>studied mechanical engineering
>struggle to get an interview, let alone a job.
>2 years passed, still aint doing shit.

I'm thinking of taking a 9 month programming course at UCLA, use the opportunity to work in the US, specifically in California for 1-2 years until I can build up the skillset to move to somewhere more rural where everything is cheaper.

Am I on the right track?

I heard software devs are in huge demand and can start bringing in 100k+ after 6 years or so.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9616691
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12938484
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13740781
wu.acpol.army.mil/eur/employment/ln/
academicwork.de/stellenanzeige/entwicklungsingenieur-m-w-karosserie-fur-einen-suddeutschen-automobilhersteller/14985227
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah you're on the right track.

>software devs are in huge demand

SENIOR devs are.

Entry-level webdev job market is awfully saturated. Thank bootcamps for that. Also most entry-level jobs go to women. As a guy without a CS degree, you should really think hard about your decision.

I love this part from one of the threads below:
>only 30-40% from class got a dev job
>all the females got dev jobs
>including the only one who actually failed the class.

Sources:
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9616691
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12938484
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13740781

Men are going to have to go into markets were women wouldn't dare go into. Blue collar jobs is a good start.

I agree with user here. Since they've been making coding an actual class in hs and a multitude of this equality crap, you're going to have to venture elsewhere, make your own product or service in the tech industry. That or know someone that will vouch on your behalf.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

Women are a fucking CANCER.

move to germany

already did. didn't get hired after spending 6 months learning the language and looking for a job.

Can you really blame them? They basically get a free pass in the tech industry, why wouldn't they take it?

The real cancer are the white knight/SJW hiring managers. What goes on inside their heads?

Look for entry level or pathway-intern engineering jobs on USAJOBS.gov, GS04 to GS07 level, anywhere in the world, preferably with a DoD outfit. Build a canned resume, using the resume builder there, and shove it so full of bullshit keywords from the job announcement, lie to obsurdity, and make up as much as you can get away with. This is so the auto-filter system doesnt drop you before a real HR human can refer you. Upload transcripts as well. Apply for thousands (you can knock them out pretry quick once you have the canned resume).

Build a nice looking resume to send later to selecting officials. You might have a few phone interviews. You can upsell that you lived in Germany and speak german.

Once you get in, say, at GS05, as long as you don't fail as hard as the retarded boomers you'll work with, within one year you will be bumped to 07, another year to 09, or higher. You can leverage your German skillz again and head overseas and make the lucrative dough working at EUCOM and impregnating white girls.

what goes on inside their heads? That is the wrong question to ask. Better to ask, how do they benefit from this on an unconscious level. Weak men will always try to change the "rules" to benefit them, similar to commies and ANTIFA.

>being surrounded by multiple females will increase their chances of getting laid as a beta male because they can't attract females outside of work.
>Keep the real competition (other men) outside of your industry: Many women drop out of the workforce after having a few kids or always prioritize their kids over work.

What do you work as BTW? I'm assuming you are a software dev?

Not a US citizen, highly doubt they will accept me but do let me know if i'm wrong and I will gladly apply.

maybe this is great advice for US citizens.

As someone who has worked with companies hiring web developers, GOOD programmers are in very, very high demand. You have countless retards with a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS trying to enter the workforce, but if you have a specific skillset that companies need, you'l supersede every other applicant.

Learn the MEAN stack - MongoDB, Express, Angular, and Node. Learn HTML, CSS, and JavasScript first, but then focus on Node.js and get really good at server-side JavaScript. Learn Angular and React.js and get good at them. You'll be employable as hell because there's a dearth of developers who are competent at that particular skillset and the demand for those technologies is skyrocketing.

Just don't overestimate your abilities. It takes time to learn, so put in the hours needed to get good at programming before diving into the job market.

There are lots of jobs open to non-US citizens, but if you are interested, you can work as a Local National on US bases in Germany, Italy, or Belgium, selling your english / german skills.

Heres the portal:
wu.acpol.army.mil/eur/employment/ln/

I see about 10 engineering positions.

As an old programmer I find node and mong easy af. Fuckin JavaScript on server side? God yes. But I love ma PHP.

Best way to learn? tutorials? make up your own projects?

come to germany and start at any shitty engineering studio for +60k euros a year.

your country is truely shit if youre not in need of young mech engineers. godammit.

dude I was there. Admittedly I was mostly applying online via arbeitsagenteur.de.

Should have tried coldcalling but my german was not up to par most of the time.

you retarded shitstain. tell where are you from, then.

better open your own engineering firm in you shithole to make it better for all of you.

most car-focused studio have outlets in the US and surely have english websites.

a few names are: FEV, IAV, AVL, Bertrandt, ESG.

they do automotive and aerospace mainly.

forget the arbeitsargentur, theyre shit.
better look for temp-work-agencies like the swedish "akademic work" company. temp-work may sound fishy but temp means in the germany engineering branch that the want a XY engineer fulltime for 2 years for project X.

thanks for the tips.

maybe you need better reading comprehension.
>... to use that opportunity to work in the US.

still you don't say where you are from. you said you are not US citizen. you said you went and spend 6 months in germany looking for a job illegally.

i bet you are mexican

I was in the same position as you 14 months ago.

Fell for the code camp meme, took a 12-week course over the summer 2016, applied everywhere I could. Got interviews at 3 places, but the competition turned out to be BRUTAL.

In retrospect it makes sense, because the boot camp was churning out ~50 graduates with identical skills every 3 months. And we're all applying for the same jobs in the same area. Not a good place to be in. Unless you were one of the 4 girls in our class, of course (all had jobs lined up before graduation)

Ended up getting a receptionist job 2 months after graduating. Not sure if I'm even qualified to draw any conclusions - but here are some of my mistakes:
- Falling for a marketing meme
- Walking down the trodden path
- Focusing on in-demandâ„¢ technologies (node and react/redux)

Oh, Node is easy. The problems are that A) there aren't enough Node developers, and 2) a whole lot of programmers are shit and don't know they're shit.

That said, I love me some PHP too. It's the first server-side language I learned, too, which means it is obviously the best. /s

Start with HTML and CSS tutorials, then work on some basic projects (a personal site, small webpages for side projects or friends).

Next up you're going to want to learn JavaScript. Find some basic tutorials and lessons online, study hard, experiment a lot, and make some simple widgets and games.

Once you're comfortable with all three of those, you can get started with Node (server-side JavaScript) with some more tutorials.

I'd actually recommend looking into Apache (download WAMP for Windows or MAMP for Mac) and setting up a basic local server before diving into Node.

It'll take time and effort, but it'll be worth it if you see it through. The key is to experiment, make sure you know what all your code is doing (never blindly copy-and-paste), and keep researching different technologies to get a feel for what's out there. Good luck, user.

If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain about your experience with code camps. I'm actually in the process of developing a series of web development bootcamps for a coworking space that I work at, and I'd like to hear your opinions on worked and what didn't. What was the format of the class like? What sort of projects did you do?

still you don't say where you are from. you said you are not US citizen. you said you went and spend 6 months in germany looking for a job illegally.

let me clear up some things for some subhuman trash like yourself.

1. i'm Canadian.
2. It is legal to look for work while in Germany and you can change your visa status while you are in the country as a Canadian citizen.

Go fucking detox on whatever drugs you are taking somewhere else.

found this pic for you.

>wonders why he can't find a job
>only tries to find one via the fucking arbeitsargentur which is busy finding shitty jobs for thousands of refugees and long-term unenployed
you deserve this

I agree, however my german wasn't even up to B1 level for most of my stay so I wasn't confident in coldcalling places and asking for an interview, or networking.

if you have any advice on how a person could find a mechanical engineering job in Germany, do let me know.

a friend of mine works at a company IAV as a Quality-engineer at BMW (my employer). He only spoke english with texas accent for the first 2 years yet he got his job done. EVERYONE in germany below the age of 45 know to read and write/ speak/ understand english at certain level.

- Germans are actually happy to be able to speak english to "improve their skill" yet having already a larger vocabulary than the most burgers

source: me

academicwork.de/stellenanzeige/entwicklungsingenieur-m-w-karosserie-fur-einen-suddeutschen-automobilhersteller/14985227

the swedish company i mentioned before. the link above translates as follow

Development engineer (m / f) body for a South German automotive manufacturer

Are you interested in developing vehicles and living for the automotive industry? Then we look forward to your application as a development engineer (m / f) body.
description

With innovative technologies, high-quality vehicles and a strong culture, our customer company occupies the world's leading position in the premium segment. Since 2010, we have been the interface between young professionals and our customers. We look back on numerous negotiations. To continue this success story, we are looking for a development engineer (m / f) body. In this function, you are active in the design of the body architecture
tasks

Definition of a dimension concept taking into account the defined building kits
Ensuring the balance between the component concepts and the systems in the entire vehicle
Responsibility for the plausibility check of PREP dimensions for the body and equipment subsystem
Development of the geometric dimension concept of a product line space and the backbone-relevant sizes. approaches to solutions in committees

conditions

Successfully completed studies in engineering sciences, e.g. Mechanical engineering, vehicle technology or equivalent training
Experience in the geometric design of the development body or the whole vehicle

Fluent in English and very good English
Teamwork and communication skills and analytical thinking

OUR RANGE

Guaranteed monthly salary based on the IG metal collective agreement, depending on the qualification up to an EC 12 (gross annual salary of EUR 73,393.20)
Entry into an international group
Personal support and development (including feedback discussions, Christmas and summer festivals)

Much good information you're giving that I'd be to lazy to type out. Mostly cause NEETs won't drop a thanks or it does no good.

I can see why they're aren't many good node devs. To be completely straight, I don't use it enough to care to go full ham into it - mastering it. Since PHP n MySQL do ma thing and flask on the side. Can I ask if it is worth learning like the back of your hand, much like PHP? If you know JS is it even worth looking into?