> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

googumproduce.com/game
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks more like an eye

ai donto andestando

I'm done with things to animate for now, might make closed mouths as an editable line so I can tween that too

back to working on the actual game now

I'm getting a new keyboard soon. What is the BEST keyboard for gamedev?

something with a lot of flashy neon LED lights so people know you're hardcore

Don't make the same mistake as I did. Don't buy a keyboard with numpad and arrow keys joined.

Probably not too interesting but I had to go back and resurrect 'cube'-san into wide mode for debug/balance purposes. Attached a damage counter and a timer (when it hits 0 he becomes immune to damage) to more accurately monitor how efficient each shot option was.
Left to right is homing burst option, Normal shot (no matter what burst you pick you always have access to this), beam burst option and the Afterglow high damage mode. Just from this I was able to see the huge jump from normal to burst beam and I want it to be more in line with the jump from homing to normal shot.
Wherever beam lands Afterglow will need to be no more than 50% stronger than that so the balance changes are wide spread and affecting all enemies and even some spawn patterns.
Thank you not-so-cube cube-san.

Cube-san spinoff game when

I am not sure I have the ability to do him justice

Wizard sim update: Get over here

CMTK?

New magnetic effect working on beams. Magnetic bubble and missiles soon. Not honestly sure how magnetic missile will work.

I swear i'm getting close to a basic movement demo. made these mario like star collectables for something for the player to work towards in the demo. they're nice and shiny though it's a shame i probably wont be able to use the sprites in the final game without getting sued by nintendo.

Take the eyes off them and it won't matter.

true. but the eyes are cute and make you want to collect them more.

If you say so, senpai

last one. I've made enough progress for one day.

can't wait to play it

>Stoppin' tme

If there ain't a Jojo Soundbyte included. I'm gonna be disappointed, this looks really, really good.

that hand gesture has been ruined, cant see it without thinking of...

Does JS use ' or " for string literals? I'm editing my new website's HTML.

>get the idea to do some culling (lack of rendering) to make the game run better
>figure I'd need use various pieces of data, maybe the orientation of the map, it'll be a mess
>avoid it
>try to wrap my head around it
>realize I could just subtract something's position from the player's position and base it on that

I've been doing some research on Entity Component Systems (ECS), and I'm having trouble deciding how I would refactor my currently heavy OOP code to use it.
For example, I have a TileMap, a TileSet and a Tile class and basically the TileSet has multiple instances of the Tile class and the TileMap has a TileSet.

I can't figure out for the life of me how this could be broken into a proper ECS. Are Tiles a Entity? Are TileMaps? Can a Entity hold another Entity or subclass another Entity? Should some of these be Components, like Tile? Or am I just going about this completely wrong?

Entities are the actors of the game. No one in their right mind would make the collision layer of their level "an entity".

Your PhysicsSystem will update all of the entities positions and your CollisionSystem will resolve all of the collisions. Both can and should have a reference to the current Tilemap.

Sounds like you put some thought into the matter and solved it, I don't see a problem here.

One of those "generate a unit every second, click to send half your current army to location" games?

this you?

How do you make your game successful? What sort of long term exposure are you getting?

Anyone use Substance Painter? Is it worth getting? How fast/easy is it to convert/transfer your work into Unreal/Unity/etc.?

What tips would you give to someone making a shooter?

I used substance painter few years back, and it was useful when importing to Unity. Though you might have to scale the normal maps or displacement maps down a notch iirc.

A gun would help.

Choose a different genre

What kind

eyes are not meant to move like that

if that is for a horror game it is perfect

shooter is so fucking vague mate, learn to communicate or you have no future in game dev

what happened to lewd jam?

it's due on the lewdest day of the year.

Not sure you understood my question.

I'm asking more about how, if someone was using ECS, would they represent a tile map, it's tile set and the individual tiles?

Should the tilemap be a entity? Should the tileset be a component? Is the individual tiles components or just data for the tileset component?

Guaranteed damage against the player feels shitty so either have enemies shoot dodgeable projectiles or give them a delay before they actually start hitting their hitscan shots that resets when you take cover or they get stunned.

And I'm telling you it's not an entity and it doesn't have components. Entities are for actors.

If collision data is an entity, what's next? Random sprite textures? Fonts?

Not everything your game uses is an entity in an ECS.

>gogem posting

1) dont
2) if you must then pic related

Doesn't really read electricity to me right now, I'll make some less thick sprites and test those. Flamethrowers I can reuse the free unity ones. Ice missiles will be a learning experience though.

Then we'll see about making them interact with enemies.

i have a crush on googum

Ice missles should just be beveled prisms with highlights on the bevel, semi transparent, and refract a bit. Should give a fine and readable effect.

I will crush gogem

Burned myself putting french fries in the oven. I can't fucking do anything right.

>horrible OP
>gogem
BYEEEEEE

>electricity
>casts a shadow
>barely even moves
That's not how it works, user.

>tfw can't stop thinking about devving
It happens at most once a month but when I do a lot of good progress at once I just want to keep working to the point of starving myself so I don't get up and lose focus.

I love it.

This is nodev bullshit

What's best for a retro game, use an old engine (from the period you want to replicate) or a modern one and mimic old graphics?

The latter.
Old engines are usually a pain in the ass to work with and most retro looks can easily be replicated with shaders and other techniques in Unity/UE.

mah nigga

Is pic related too cringey? To have a fourth-wall breaking 'dev' character you can chat with, and they tell you about their history and the history of the game? Just for the demo, not the actual release.

Why are there not online multiplayer turn-based games other than card games?
It's not only an unexplored niche, I think, but something I'd really like to play. I was thinking something in line with old SGI games, or space 4X.

Thoughts?

I guess it depends on how intrusive it is and the actual content of the chat.
Since it's a demo and not in the middle of an actual storyline then I don't think it does any harm.

I agree. A good application could be mobile gaming since you could just start multiple games, play your turns whenever you get the time and then put the phone away and wait for theirs while you do your shit.

What about mechanics? These old engines have the gameplay you want to achieve built right in.
Unity/UE is generic, so you will have to make everything from the ground up.

I use it for Unity, it's good. Getting the textures in is just clicking export textured and then dragging them into Unity.

is there to write a comparative switch case?

>my game isnt undermeme

Then it depends on what you want to make, but even if you had to rebuild the whole mechanics of the game (which for retro games shouldn't be too hard) in Unity/UE it would still prove to be easier than learning and changing most retro engines.

Maybe if you want the EXACT feel and look of the game you're trying to replicate? Then again, you'd be using it's engine to do something really close to the original game, both mechanically and visually, so you wouldn't be doing much in the first place. A mod maybe?

Now that the dust has settled,

>not that guy but off the top of my head, probably a hardware issue. emulation is shitty because computation power isn't like a bucket of sand that you have tons of of or not a lot of -- things are computed in very specific ways. Some computer equipment simply isn't built to handle that sort of calculation.
>Why this is the case has to do with literal physical engineering -- physical chips can be optimized better than code for specific operations. It's why video cards outpace CPUs for video performance.

>A modern PC can calculate anything given, and the key differences are the time it takes and how many levels of interpretation the problem and solution have to go through. But in early computing, things were much more rigidly defined, on much more rigid hardware, and not all of that hardware is still known nor has all the known hardware's engineering leaked, nor are there enough nerds who still care to understand or fucking reverse-engineer the known engineering. Some do exist, but please consider the capabilities of disjointed nerds on Discord and Github versus corporate-paid design teams doing 9-to-5 AND 1800-to-0800 shifts.

>Anyway, the tl;dr is that to make the calculations that might have been trivial before is non-trivial now, and the way calculations were made at all may have been lost entirely over time.

>Even modern emulators or modern consoles suffer from this; That one star wars X-Wing game on Gamecube is considered a holy grail of GC emulation because it has never, ever worked right. Wind Waker is a close second, because Nintendo is known for making games that never crash or fail graphics despite all other broken-ness, but WW was unplayable on Dolphin for a long time. It only became playable fairly recently, like in 2014 or something.

What the fuck did he mean by this?

Where's your game?

>9-to-5 AND 1800-to-0800 shifts
these arent real computer terms

what is this from?

that's a retarded way of saying ... sometimes EMUs do not map well to the systems they run on

which could be a problem with the design of an EMU, the EMUs running on Wii were alright.

>Had a good job at Autodesk as a programmer
>Quit because ambition
>Write a small engine with the goal of making a game
>No ideas
>No art

Remind me again what's the fucking point?

The sad thing is people actually do this sort of thing unironically.

I can be the idea guy.

this is str8 up psychopathic babbling

Art can be bought, but
>No ideas
is terminal

Best hope is probably latching on to an existing team

another enginedev retard reinventing the wheel burns himself out, what a shocker

It's the exact opposite you fucktwat. Engine is all ready to go but I'm blocked on the game idea thing.

Release the engine out to the public for everyone to use! It would be like you were making games by proxy!

But if you'd used Unity you could have been blocked and idealess months ago

He's not saying you didn't finish your shitty engine. He's saying you got burned out. I've been in the same position.

Designing games is just as much a practice as programming. It isn't easy, and nothing you do in developing the engine or even writing the code is going to help you design a good game. So you spent all this time writing the engine to make your game, but you've spent no time actually coming up with a coherent plan for the game you want to make- this is a common story for a lot of engine developers.

No need to get all snippy.

Making an engine without a game idea is actually retarded. The ONLY benefit of making your own engine is that you get full control of your game. But if you have no game then you're just making yet another generic engine. Might as well use Godot at that point since it's already made and it's open source.

I actually know one who did. Luckily he has rich parents willing to support his trip to game design school, but still. He quit a decently paying job writing financial software or something to play with gamemaker and unity.

I give up...

i have tons of game concepts overflowing my game concept folder but i wouldnt want to waste one on an enginedev.
come back when youve finished a game.

I am financed by a research center and a game studio to make this engine. I worked with Unity professionally for 4 years. I won't touch that thing ever again.

See
I shipped 4 games on Steam. How about you?

Because what, pride? Unity is leagues better than whatever little closed-source homebrew toy engine you're writing.

Where is your game?

FTC dev have you returned?! Tell us more about your hundreds of thousands of dollars in investments.

Shit is getting real.

Because money, and because I want control over my code.

i shibalieve inu

Did (you) ship 4 games or you have credits on 4 shipped games? There's a big diff, my man. Also you'd better fucking supply some names or else you're just another posturing no-dev looking to defend his filthy enginedev lifestyle with empty claims.

2 was about to ship a 3rd and then had them deleted because i dont like steam.
were any of those 4 games you shipped made by you and finished? just paying $100 or being on staff of someone elses project doesnt count.

googumproduce.com/game

This is a "man" who knows nothing of EMUs. I bet he has never even written one...

I don't think its going for realism

Credited as programmer: Hitman GO, Lara Croft GO, Cuphead
Shipped as main dev: Subaeria

I will push through