Why don't you have a sizable emergency fund, Veeky Forums?

Why don't you have a sizable emergency fund, Veeky Forums?

I was fired yesterday and it won't affect me at all in the near term because I have this cushion to protect me.

Other urls found in this thread:

investor.vanguard.com/emergency-fund/where-to-put-emergency-fund
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why don't you have a sizable emergency fund, Veeky Forums?
Because I'm broke dumbass. And your money still doesn't impress. kys.

I currently employ 14 people. I could live on what any one of them makes. So we'd have to get fired 14 times before I'd start to worry about money.

What do they do?

>Why don't you have a sizable emergency fund, Veeky Forums?

If your emergency fund is a number on a screen you may as well just load up your credit cards and use the float time to pull the payment out of long-term holdings. There's no point in keeping more than the minimum required for operating cash flow in your accounts in this case.

Now if your emergency fund consisted of cash, PM, and other functional currencies safely secured in your personal domicile, that would be a different matter.

I do have an emergency fund though.
Okay prepper. Be sure to have your bomb shelter stocked.

>Why don't you have a sizable emergency fund

I do and it is bigger than yours

>100k
>sizable

topkek

Out of curiosity, what are you invested in?

>I do and it is bigger than yours

Mine's considerably bigger too, but his point about emergency funds is still valid. At *any* level of income, you should strive to have an emergency fund. The size of it should be related to whatever ongoing monthly expenses you have that cannot reasonably be omitted.

This doesn't have to be a dick-waving contest.

>get fired
>still get paid by my employer for full three months
>get additional bonus income from an Unemployment Fund
such is life in finland

Yeah, the point was it's 2-3 years of a livable income ignoring benefits such as unemployment insurance.

crack whores

fired you say?

>take the 100k and dump it into crypto coins
>sign up to get NEETbux / CuckBux
>sit on computer all day and make money trading the latest CuckShillCoin

>a cushion of $3k

Hope youre planning on being employed real soob

Do you guys work or just invest and live comfy Life?

Are ETFs a meme? Or fo real

i have all my savings in trumpcoin and dash

>$3k
>sizeable
I mean it's not bad, but how long is that really going to last you? 2 months?

Emergency funds are for pussys

presumably OP is referring to the 108k in (I assume) liquid assets

>Do you guys work or just invest and live comfy Life?

Did work. Worked hard (at IT). Goofing off now.

>Are ETFs a meme? Or fo real

ETFs are a fine way to invest, and mutual funds are a fine way to invest -- although there are some stupid ones of both types, and others that are not suitable for novice investors, of both types. Really the main difference between ETFs and mutual funds in pragmatic terms is that buying ETFs or no-load funds is cheaper in fees than buying load funds, which is good, and you can buy & sell ETFs in an instant, which can be good or bad.

>implying cash will be worth anything after the banks are no longer open

If we get to the point where banks aren't cashing withdrawals in this day and age, you're going to be bartering for goods with bullets, forest aid materials and canned foods.

your a idiot

>presumably OP is referring to the 108k in (I assume) liquid assets
You can't really tell because the large account is simply labelled "Investments." If that's stocks, equity mutual funds, or ETFs, then it's not an emergency fund. If that's a money market fund, or short-term treasuries, then that would be fine.

The only we know is sufficiently liquid is the $3k in checking. So OP really kind of fucked it up in terms of backing his claim.

>he thinks the purpose of an emergency fund is to prepare for a zombie apocolypse

>stocks not liquid enough to be an emergency fund

what?

In this context, not liquid means you can't be assured that the value you put in will be the value that you can take out when you need it. Stocks are far too volatile to be used for an emergency fund. The time when you need the money might coincide with a decline in the markets. This could not only force you to sell at a loss, but might also mean that the money you need isn't there at the time you need it.

The whole idea of an emergency fund is (a) to cover your life expenses, AND (b) to prevent you from having to disrupt your long-term financial plans. Being forced to sell equities at a loss is one of the worst things you can do for the long-term prospects of your financial goals. You never want to be forced to make a bad decision.

investor.vanguard.com/emergency-fund/where-to-put-emergency-fund

interesting thoughts, thanks

One runs my business, three operate heavy equipment as needed, all of them remediate polluted property, and most of them clean offices.

That's just common sense though

I have credit cards. I'm not going to waste my net worth on shitty low interest CDs.

Im in programming if i ever fired I get a swarm of recruiters down my throat b4 i even step out tht companies door