/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Visiting Elf "Peddler" edition
Previous thread: PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.01), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M0FIqyVXkFM
imgur.com/a/aZxFJ
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10356
youtu.be/-l8ns_1z4bI
soundcloud.com/reclusive-tulpa/sets/november-medley
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

just let it die
like our hopes and dreams

A migrant has arrived.

>2017
>Still can't designate which plant you want milled at a quern

too busy laying FOUNDATION for the future m8 basic QOL is not for the likes of us

he he he

whats that? gameplay improvements? you already have gay dwarves

Why would this thread die when a new release just happened?

The new release thread was last thread.
This is the new release burnout thread. That's why it's gonna die.

You can linked stockpiles. It's a hassle to get it set up properly, but it can be done.

Post combat logs.

Linux release when?

Release wasn't interesting enough. But I guess people are playing more anyway so you'll get more posts for a while longer.

Cute.

Oh great, another Obok wannabe

>it sure is dark down here

> 50 tree humping freeloaders have arrived before the end of the first year
> don't even have an inn/tavern
> some hippy faggot literally appears 1 day into the embark

i know i embarked close to a civ site, within like 10-20 world tiles, but shit, this is too much.
thank fuck they aren't eating my food.

Does anyone know what's the music in ? I'm definitely using it the next time I play DF

>Fixed world gen crash associated to agents checking on site government after it collapses
What does this even mean? What are agents?

How can I increase the number of Kobolds/enhance Kobold survival in worldgen?

increasing the number of caves/decreasing megabeasts. If you want lots of megabeasts you need a lot more caves as frequently megabeasts go there and take up residency slaughtering the kobolds within.

not interesting enough for the only-play-one-week-after-each-release crowd maybe. most regulars are still having fun wit the new stuff

Thanks.

I play often and I'm having fun with it, but I recognize that the changes in gameplay weren't that drastic. There's not a whole lot of new shit to post about.

After finally learning how to train war dogs, I was ready to put my war bitches to a pasture to thwart werechameleon attacks of late from the east but then I found one of my dwarves blinking...

Ouch

He is basically crawling...

while also trying to hunt with his xbow using his fucked-up left hand

To my greater surprise, he had been also instrumental to prevent the latest tantrum spiral. He probably sustained that injuries during that incident according to treatment history.

"Lokum" also loves turkeys, this fucking dorf man. He brought a warmth to my kebab heart even though he is a nature-loving, fun-hating crippo midget.

I don't know. I didn't pick up fort mode until yesterday, and I'm already really impressed with the new civ screen. now I want something similar for adv mode.

>fort minding its own business
>fisherdwarves are out fishing
>suddenly wereelephant out of nowhere
>oshit.jpg
>burrows
>burrows NOW
>wereelephant is fast as fug and DESTROYS all my fisherdwarves
>literally bites off the head of my best fisherdwarf Kol

This wereelephant just turned into a human and I have no idea what to do at this point.

>Find the corpse of an olm man in the caverns
>Put it on a clear glass pedestal in my museum
>All my dwarves get happy thoughts

Watch out the fucker, and whack him on 28th of Obsidian

I just got off of work for the week.
Anyone want anything drawn?

In theme to image:
youtube.com/watch?v=M0FIqyVXkFM
It is the only version of the song I can find on youtube. First heard it from an old sailor I used to work with.

reported to fbi

Mosquito man with Bane mask

what about this one

>clear glass pedestal
You use a mod for that amirite? Sorry for being a newb.

hmmmm

WHAT DO I DO

Now you can try to kill them before they flee from the map.

meant for

that's nice
maybe some aztec dorfs sacrificing elves?

btw does 9dots still post here?

ur done m8

Giant bats are brutal, aren't they? One killing off three of my dwarfs in the first season is the first bit of (fun) I've had. In hindsight, maybe I should have just walled off the caverns from the beginning instead of letting the stupid monster slayers down there.

>cant settle on a world and keep rerunning worldgen

Draw a goblin in a green glass cage trap.

Beginner here.
Here is my Fortress so far, I would like some opinions, and if you can and want, some advices and tips as well on what I should do or change.
Uploaded to imgur to make things a little easier as there are multiple screenshots, all of them or should, I don't know if I fucked something up have a descriptions.

imgur.com/a/aZxFJ

You don't need so many stairs.
Refuse is better placed outside imho.
Put a dog in front of your entrance such that it will spot anyone or anything trying to sneak in. So you'll need two dogs.
You can make your dining hall your meeting place.
Better to quantum dump stone imho.
Also is that a gem stockpile without bins that I see there? Are you a masochist?

Is there a way to make it so a civ will prefer to use a specific type of metal?

Wait a minute you don't use bins in the other stockpiles either...

it just... drowned itself?

how do you get rid of pests like lice and ticks?

don't bins have a tendency to cause "item not found" type fuckery?

2cat

zyklon b

So this autist is trying to create a fantasy generator of such insane granularity that in a decade you will probably be able to generate a world that doesn't even have dwarves if you wish, among countless other planned sandbox features. Yet for some reason there is an entire game in a game revolving around a city builder with dwarves that just adds tons of complexity to integrating everything in the vision he wants, and most of its features aren't even used outside of the fortress mode. Makes sense.

You say all that like its a bad thing

Fuck you, mayor.

>Anyone want anything drawn?
That picture is amazing.
A collection of subterranean creatures or any creatures would be amazing. Sort of an artistic encyclopedia
Also
>No real life deep ocean creatures to haunt the oceans.

werebeasts can swim, most ordinary civilised creatures can't.

talk about cucking oneself into a river

Toady's design process involves creating the entire under-the-hood mechanism for a specific case of something in a modular way, and developing that to the point where it can be generalized and used in many different situations as the game gets more complex. So having and maintaining a playable gamemode now ensures that it will also be playable when fortress mode is generalized to other races.

adventurefags get out

I want more cyberpunk dorfs desu

I'd think that all the stuff going on in fortress mode that isn't implemented in adventure mode and worldgen is stuff that would eventually be going on in those modes anyway if he's really going for the insane granularity. Is there anything you think wouldn't?

Will magic allow for a Spice like substance to be created?

it should be possible yes

these were its final words after it chose to drown itself

those elves are pretty cute

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10356
>Animals reveal presence of artifacts to outsiders

Fucking traitors

>Stopped returning pet dogs from petitioning for sanctuary like rescued prisoners
God damn it

Yikes.. recovered a bunch of limbs and mangled corpses. Thank goodness it drowned itself, I don't think I could have taken it with my current military.

>Have an empty library
>Send squad to steal a book
>They come back with 10 books
Nice

Ok, so just a quick question because I couldn't find anything about it online:

Recently I've dug into a cavern with a few Troglodytes. It also has some valuable gems so I want to mine down there but my military isn't really capable of taking them on quite yet because it's still early game. However, two wandering soldiers (a Human Spearmen and a Dwarven Marksmen) just petitioned for citizenship in my fortress (which I allowed). I want to add them to my current squad (that consists of one untrained Dwarf with a Steel Mace and bronze/copper armor) but they don't appear in options to be drafted. Moreover, when I look at what job they're doing, it just says "Monster Slayer" in brown text. I just find this confusing because it says they're citizens in my fort.

Is there no way to add them to my militia or am I just missing something?

Is there any benefit from them aside from mood and wealth ?

Those idiots won't work or join the military or anything, all they want to do is wander aimlessly in the caverns and presumably get in fights.

Did they petition for citizenship, or just for permission to live at your fort? If it's the second one, they'll just do their own thing, with bards entertaining people and regular soldiers being eligible for military squads. Monster slayers presumably slay monsters, like freelance hunters.
After a few years, they might petition for full citizenship, after which you should be able to adjust all their labor settings and put them in the regular army if you want.

This is actually the first major release of the latest three that I want to play a bit. I've already logged in quite a few hours despite finals coming. Why don't people like it?

still a bit too buggy to use the newly implemented features properly.

Well shit, that kinda sucks.
It said apply for citizenship in the petition, i guess it was only partial citizenship tho?

long term guests aren't the same as citizens. you don't get full control of them. after staying a while in your fort, they might apply for citizenship, and then you get to control them like your own dorfs. until that happens, they'll just do one thing they came there to do. scholars study in your library. entertainers dance and sing in your tavern. mercenaries can join your military. and monster slayers just go down and pick fights with animals in the caverns.

youtu.be/-l8ns_1z4bI

It's music I made myself. Here's a small collection: soundcloud.com/reclusive-tulpa/sets/november-medley

very nice. your music reminds me of the OSTs for the old thief games.

Okay I think I have a decent world.

>Civilized World Population

> 4986 Dwarves
> 5619 Humans
> 3874 Elves
> 71827 Goblins
> 159 Kobolds

> Total: 86465

Thank you. I appreciate it.

>10 elv visitors hanging out in the main lobby doing jackshit
>suddenly a werelizard
>he makes it to the mainlobby where he goes through the elvs and soon hits onto my hammerdwarfs on which he quickly dies
>think nothing of it
>suddenly all the fucking elves turn into werelizards
>overrun my fort in a a couple of minutes

Can I send visitors away?

How is adventure mode, currently?

You could just kill them.

I kill any filthy elf who dares step into my magnificent fortress.

broken atm, some bug causes you to crash when you're at a site. Not every time, it seems to be random.

Ripe for the breeding pits.

planning to start a cavern fort in the future, any advice or cool ideas?

What do I do with all of these seeds? I'm an adventurer not a farmer!

I need a drawing from you about the newly released update. I need it hard

>So this autist is trying to create a fantasy generator of such insane granularity that in a decade you will probably be able to generate a world that doesn't even have dwarves if you wish
actually 2-3 years, confirmed by the toad

The magic update is going to be huge, and Toady tends to underestimate the time to release by a factor of 3 or so...