XCom Will Never Die Edition

Previous mission: News:
1)LW2 will NOT be ported to WotC by Pavonis
>pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26982

2)EXPANSION is out NOW
>xcom.com/war-of-the-chosen
>youtube.com/watch?v=n3bENBYSucQ
>pastebin.com/8prFHUNj

3)Julian Gallop Phoenix Point News (New Update: 8/30/2017)
>phoenixpoint.info/blog/2017/8/29/geoscape-ballistics-and-more
>pastebin.com/PZWh2Zr1
>youtube.com/watch?v=iuN9g502cYM

4)Jake spoke at PAX East on March 10th on the growing pains of rebooting XCOM
>pvplive.net/c/pax-east-jake-solomon-xcom-3

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

/xcg/ XCOM 2 Character Pool:
>docs.google.com/document/d/12XvY-C-RoQZUexxauBXcCsw1jElq-g8TaCNpLgG2atM/edit

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

List of compatible mods for Long War 2
>drive.google.com/file/d/0B0KYKP0J-c9vcksxLXBTUkFzdE0/view

XCOM2 modlist, updated long before WOTC (Out of Date)
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

MEGA Mod Repository, now contains all of the mods in the modlist
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

Piratez mod for OpenXCom:
>openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

The X-COM Files for OpenXCom:
>openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=4595.0

/xcg/ neither condemns nor condones that which is lewd
>pastebin.com/DwwGRCUH

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/5sobfe/long_war_2_critique/ddhdoj5/
youtu.be/rOI11iDbGoI?t=8m4s
ufopaedia.org/index.php/Difficulty_(Long_War)
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137361817
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ayyy

lmao

>page 7
Guess I gotta start posting shit.
I installed some mods and now grenades no longer have any radius and deal no damage.
Bless you Fagaxis for making a good SDK.

Which mod did you install that caused it?

I don't know t b h.
Turning off the mods one by one to see which one caused it atm.

Did Advent kidnap all the Xcom players?

Wouldn't it be simpler to turn off half the mods, then the other half?

Too busy trying to git gud to post. Long dong 2 on veteran, some mods and trying to win on ironman when I've never even won LW2 before.
First attempt I got absolutely wrecked.
I'm a few missions in this time, contacted 3 areas and have yet to lose a single person. I think I'm improving.

>try to delete configs to make shit work
>go on geoscape and the camera gets stuck to the HQ
GOD FUCKING DAMN

And now that you said that you're going to catastrophically explode and fail.

I finally figured out what was lagging my game so much. I had too many save files, apparently after 1000 the game becomes unstable.

Just about. Failed data recovery by one square, two men down but stabilized and everyone got to the evac, that's all I care about.
Stunlancer dudes always fuck everything up.

>tfw my logs folder is 5.62 GB

I'm not really sure how this happened

>5.62 gb logs
Try having a 10 gb log folder.
God knows how.

>ave nex alea
Bird deaths gambling?

Can anyone recommend class mods? I tried Richard's and Classless and didn't like either.

>The search for class mods continues

I bet she gets a real fright every time she looks in the mirror.

She thinks she's human.

Be kind and give her a nice full face headgear.

You're going to make her overcome that fear and gain a positive trait right?

I think positive traits got patched out.

There are no aliens on Earth, stop being silly you conspiracy theorists.

Pistols Still Useful.

It did but the more traits mod adds it back in if you use the highlander

How hard would it be for me to mod and create new characters for use in xcom 2 ? I want to add in some characters to the game, I imagine I would need something like blender and X2 SDK ? Anyone here created any visual mods ?

>want to play LW2
>read about it
>see this
>reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/5sobfe/long_war_2_critique/ddhdoj5/
Back to the old game then...

You should give it a shot. The mod has significantly changed since then in a good way And Beagle didn't really give it a fair hake imo, and has never tried it since

I agree with some things regarding unclear mechanics, however LW1 had a lot of those too so not exactly a fair comparison.

I agree that strategic layer heavily impacts your success on missions. Doing an extremely light mission in a strength 2 region, is A LOT easier than doing a light mission in a strength 8 region for example, not only you get more enemies up front, they start reinforcement spamming you like crazy. Also understanding how advent legions work, that certain missions only spawn if strength is high in the region, micromanaging rebels in havens, detecting faceless and so on and on, strategic layer is imo unnecessarily complicated, but some people like it this way.

The last part about stealth is no longer true in latest patches, 1-2 man ops are very unrealiable and in most cases you will have to suicide an assault to succeed(run and gun, oscar mike, command, run across the map to hack objective, sacrifice the squaddie assault and evac with your shinobi officer).

LW2 is a very different game from LW1, but it doesn't make it bad for sure, it's definitely worth at least one playthrough.

Scroll down for replies and also read the OP too. I'm not just talking about Beagle. Game has terrible balance in such that 2 man missions are the only way to beat it in highest difficulty. And to be honest, XCOM2 already feels like you should this and that's precisely why I hate it.
Being a top secret organization fighting a top secret threat and people say "well if aliens are controlling Nigeria, why aren't they doing anything in Europe? At worst we would've seen some UFO's fly on our cities." because of us is great, XCOM2, not much.

What about going in extremely heavy and instantly, with all the men you could?
>stealth
I literally just pointed that out kek

Yes you could, and in fact doing 0% supply raids was the "optimal" way to play couple of patches back. Since you get to bring corpses from the mission, more enemies would simply mean more rewards and endgame enemies weren't strong enough. I believe sectopod had only like 50 hp then, now sectopod has 100hp and 8 armor on legend and most endgame enemies were buffed a lot. However this was also nerfed, supply raids and troop columns now require 100% infiltration for your squad to be concealed, so it's much more difficult to do them below 100%.

But doing guerilla ops on 0% is extremely inefficient, you get to fight more enemies for no extra reward, exp for kills is a tiny part of leveling up, you don't get to bring corpses and you are risking many wounds, it's simply not worth it in 99% cases.

>Scroll down for replies and also read the OP too. I'm not just talking about Beagle. Game has terrible balance in such that 2 man missions are the only way to beat it in highest difficulty.
This is all extremely outdated, stealthing missions is dead. The tactical missions were completely revamped in patch 1.3 with longer turn timers for missions, shorter infiltration timers for medium sized squads, pods split up into more numerous but smaller groups, guard pods around the objective, etc etc.
Essentially all changes to kill stealth and make sure you are having fun fire fights every mission.
You should just give it a try instead of reading criticisms that no longer even apply.

>You should just give it a try

The problem is giving it a try requires 100 hours of your time.

No it doesn't, it requires maybe four hours. If you can't stand it, you put the mod away. If you are having fun, you keep playing it. If you keep playing it and eventually it's not fun anymore, you stop playing it.
Your being very weird about this desu

I'd give it a try if vanilla XCOM 2 didn't run like ass. I can't go back to those framerates.

Well these sound better.

Pretty much this desu. I still have old LW campaign and need to play the new game again to remember it.

You seem to forget that learning about long war takes much longer time than vanilla.

Okay, that's it. I'm finally asking:

What the FUCK is on Bradford's chin in that picture?

>You seem to forget that learning about long war takes much longer time than vanilla.
But that's irrelevant. Gitting gud and having fun are too separate things.

That's understandable, though for me, it's the really long load times the LW2 had.

Shitty lighting. This is my screenshot.

For me, gitting gud is when I learn and finally start to have fun.

>For me, gitting gud is when I learn and finally start to have fun.
meh, agree to disagree. Bumbling around like a fool is some of the most fun you can have, though gitting gud afterwards is a gratifying process.

Wait, that's wrong. It's a shitty lens flare attempt, mine has a fucked up mic, the mem has a fucked up chin.

Normally I would agree, but I can't do that in a tactical game. The most fun I've ever had was aimlessly playing GTA Vice City when I was a kid. I would drive around, shoot people, beat those pedestrians running from the police and make money etc. 3 years ago I've done a 100% playthrough and got nothing similar to that because I already knew everything. But in games like EU4 or XCOM, you need to know everything. Even if I didn't know I couldn't just walk into a heavily guarded army base all the price I would pay was my weapons and some money for hospital bills. But in XCOM or any other tactical game, the price is just too high for it, and the gains are basically nothing compared to a heavy firefight and a car chase while having 6 stars.

The fun in strategy games is manipulating the mechanics to your advantage. Learning the basics is the most boring part.

Nah, completely disagree.

>mission is FUBAR
>get everyone to extraction zone except my favorite dude
>he's one fucking square away
>surrounded by 10 advent
>dodge every single fucking shot from behind half cover
okay time to go home
>start my turn
>HE PANICS
>I WANA GO HOMEEEEEEEEEE
>RUNS AWAY FROM EVAC INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE GROUP OF ADVENT AND HUNKERS DOWN
YOU STUPID
MOTHER
FUCKER
REEEEEEEEEEE

Did I happen upon the daycare Transport?

I just imagined shredstorm cannon hitting everything, and then realising it doesn't even exist in that game.

Blaster bomb?

This is why you never evac ANYONE until you know the whole team is in range to leave. Revival Protocol, Stand By Me, or Solace could have saved him.

Yeah instead we have 15 damage Rockets with Tandem Warheads

>2nd mission in the game, in a tunnel
>Move everyone towards objective
>Move last unit up to a train door with glass windows
>No pods sighted
>Open the door before ending my turn so unit still in concealment can move through without losing it
>There was a pod right in front of the door
>Sectoid panicks the sniper
>Sniper throws a grenade at the unit that opened the door
>Unit dies
Why would anyone ever play on Ironman?

The logs also make a memory dump

>listening to beaglecuck

>appending cuck to stuff that has nothing to do with immigration
this is why we cant have nice and effective insults

He's a leftist too, so it's okay.

I keep seeing people talk about panicked units throwing grenades and shooting friendlies, but I've never had this happen. Is it only with WotC?

Actually his political views does qualify him for it. But he's from a penal colony, they don't get rapists like us so that's expected.

Nope, it can happen in vanilla. Watch this

youtu.be/rOI11iDbGoI?t=8m4s

I've seen that one rookie who threw grenade on people at an elevation and instantly squad wiped the team with fall damage. Vanilla environment damage, not even once.

The worst I've ever seen was a Rookie who threw his grenade at a group of civilians, which ended up costing me the mission when I couldn't detonate a piece of full cover to shoot the aliens hiding behind it.

This is fucking gay

that looks fucking awesome

Not with a squad of Sergeants who somehow can't hit shit

How?

>Wall of flesh

Page 10

Meanwhile on the /k/ approved viyda thread...

What mods would /xcg/ recommend for a Long War-lite experience? Something that increases the length of the campaign and adds more enemies, without quite as much of the ball-busting difficulty?

Play long war on normal diff with dynamic war, cinematic mode and friendly skies, it should be about twice as long as vanilla campaign, and the aim bonuses should cover the difficulty. If this is still too hard consider using easy modes from wiki, bottom of the page ufopaedia.org/index.php/Difficulty_(Long_War)

Or watch some let's plays of people clearing impossible difficulty, copy their strategies and improve. Normal is really easy once you know all the tricks.

Good post

It's not ball-busting at all. You just need to git gud. You can't just go balls out and can never yellow move for example. Then you will actiave a pod and will be motionless

Do you prefer integrated or non-integrated DLC for WOTC?

Feel like integrated would make things a bit easier with free spark and weapons but the music for the Lost Towers mission is so damn good.

You don't get a free spark if you integrate and you need the proving ground to get the weapons, you get the weapons fast with no intergration.

>Lost tower music
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137361817

Use this to add the lost tower music into the normal missions

>would make things a bit easier with free spark
A mod does that, it's not the default.

Oops, meant to say non-integrated with free spark + weapons

That's a really good mod. I like hearing the Lost and Abandoned soundtrack on lost maps.

I am pretty sure that I have seen a first month sectoid do 6 damage. It's why I try to have 7 health on everyone though this is not doable with 3hp rookies in a squad.

However, ufopaedia says:
>All Sectoids technically have the Gunslinger perk to cancel their offset from using pistols, but do not gain extra damage.
>Unlike most alien types, Sectoid pod leaders do +1 damage over regular Sectoids at the start of the game without requiring extra research.

I'm pretty sure the first part is wrong. The base damage listed for sectoids is 3, and that would give them 2-4 damage range, maxing at 5 for leaders. Thoughts?

You must play on ironman, because that criticism doesn't apply at all if you can load. I'm not taking about save scumming, but using saves and loads to try things for learning purposes. Really lets you come up with more interesting tactics, because as you said the cost for failure on xcom is really high, so you feel you can't take any risks.

playing on ironman first run is retarded

I LIKE THE PAIN

You mean 7 non-crit damage? I don't think that's possible.

not until very very late game

10/10

Am I wrong or are Skirmishers far weaker than the other DLC classes at every stage of the game?

Well, Reapers are broken so they are the strongest. I think Skirmishers are better than Templars though, Templars are pretty strong but i think Skirmishers are more useful, they can be everywhere and do like 17 things every turn.

Skirmishers completely depend on how well the player can use them but Yes Skirmishers skill tree is lacking compared to the other two. Nothing a couple of mods or swapping out a couple of skills can't fix

This has been patched out I believe, but the tier 2 ripjack was a guarnateed stun during launch patch, and you could stun 2 targets with one soldier, it was completely absurd.
In general opinions about hero classes vary a lot, I thought templar was the weakest, but now I think all 3 classes are fairly balanced, so they are all equally game breaking.

>I thought templar was the weakest,
Templars give that impression until the end game where they can wipe out multiple packs in one turn with correct usage. Great at fucking sectiods in the early game too

How do you guys feel about the Fire Emblem fanbase claiming to play "ironman" but actually just resetting the chapter whenever their main character dies?

Sounds like xcom equivalent of bronzeman.

It's a difference in terminology, that's all.

Skirmishers are my favorite of the three. High mobility, being able to do a lotta shit in a single turn, crazy flanking ability, best looking armour in the game. They're basically what happens when you give a ranger a spider suit and several lines of cocaine.

Skirmishers look the coolest so you are wrongo my friendo.

>graze
>graze
>graze
>graze
>graze

>Evasive!
>Sustained!

>do Lost Towers in WotC
>everyone comes back shaken
>get guerrilla ops next day

Julian will have his vengeance.

>Razer: advertise us in your game Jake