/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

Only Elitists allowed Edition

Previous Thread: (Cross-thread)

This general is for discussing all shmups/STG (shoot 'em ups/shooting games/shooting type games).
Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s
Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

RECENT RELEASES:
>Raiden V (PS4 and Steam)
store.steampowered.com/app/570050/Raiden_V_Directors_Cut___V_Directors_Cut__V/
>Graze Counter
store.steampowered.com/app/629440/Graze_Counter/
>Sonic Wings 2/Aero Fighters 2
PS4, Xbox One, and Switch
>Castle of Shikigami (Steam)
store.steampowered.com/app/582980/Castle_of_Shikigami/
>Dangun Feveron M2 port (PS4)
Somewhere on PSN
>Touhou 16 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons
kourindou.exblog.jp/25711799/
>Super Hydorah
store.steampowered.com/app/628800/Super_Hydorah
>Pawarumi
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812914421

UPCOMING RELEASES:
>Ketsui M2 port (PS4)
gematsu.com/2017/04/m2-announces-ketsui-m2-shottriggers-release-feveron-school
>Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia
>iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/
>Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194
>Sorcer Striker/Mahou Daisakusen (PS4)
gematsu.com/2017/08/sorcer-striker-m2-shottriggers-release-announced-ps4
>Garegga M2 post (XBO)
m2stg.com/en/battle-garegga/xboxone/
>Earth Defense Force 4.1 Wing Diver
gematsu.com/2017/09/earth-defense-force-4-1-wing-diver-shooter-shoot-em-announced-ps4
>Blue Revolver Black Label Announced
bluerevolvergame.com/1year/

OTHER LINKS:
/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

play caveshit

Why do I find the OTOSAMAAAAaaaa... into explosion in Espgaluda so funny?

>not even updating the OP, simplying copying everything

suck my dick

>Be Cee
>Spend 20 years playing shmups
>Only have two mediocre scores to show for it
Sad!

How to rip cho ren sha sprites?

screenshot + photoshop

shmups sucks dicks

How the hell do I remap the movement keys on Danmaku Unlimited 3 to WASD?

Why is that basic option not available in the options for this game?

Welcome to PC shmups. Very few games have that option because nip devs are retarded and can't comprehend why someone would play with anything but arrow keys.

Isn't the guy who made the Danmaku Unlimited games Canadian?

Anyway, I guess that means I have to use Auto Hotkey. Which sucks, but it's better than trying to play with arrows.

>Auto Hotkey
is shit, use vjoy

got the avp 1cc today, easily one of the best games of any genre i've ever played arcade wise.

>/blogspot/

>easily one of the best games of any genre i've ever played arcade wise

What are the most replayable shmups in your opinion?

batrider

What's an easy way to get 2 extends in DFK? I suck at score. I can only get the first one.

Wow in contrary to Raiden II, Raiden DX is actually playable...

Darius Burst CS
Literally infinite stages

This thread needs more Deathsmiles! And a bump.

How well optimized is Raiden V? I want to play it, but I'm not sure if it'll run on my toaster. For comparison, Raiden IV runs perfectly fine.

cry me a river one trick pony shitters, shmups are fucking WANK.

Welp today I learned that windows' sleep mode kills MAME's ability to read CHDs.

Experts first 3 stages are easy then 4 has some hard memory spots and 5 really ramps up.

What about some definitely-not-Casper?

I was actually more talking about the novice mode in DX. Expert is the same coin munching bullshit as in the original.

no it isn't, it's much more lenient with recoveries. Given up guwange now is it?

Of course it's coin munching. It's full of annoying shit like being completely underpowered after a single death, or tanks suddenly appearing out of nowhere and immediately killing you without having any chance to dodge.

>Given up guwange now is it?
No, I have not given up Guwange. I just like to play other games too.

It depends, but maybe.

Is this that new 'console shmup' from CAVE?

Use autohotkey.

up::w
left::a
down::s
right::d

what a slut

Yes, we all know the story already. It's not a console shmup but another mobage and probably not even a shmup at that, commence hysterical smug laughter, etc. etc.

>or tanks suddenly appearing out of nowhere and immediately killing you without having any chance to dodge.
they appear the same everytime, learn to fucking route, christ raiden 4 must barely be raiden at all.

>Of course it's coin munching.
you're playing on mame it's free.

>It's full of annoying shit like being completely underpowered after a single death
if yo get the fairies you'll get full power icons.

>No, I have not given up Guwange.
yes you have lol

>you're playing on mame it's free.
He's talking about the design of the game, you dip

yes a design criticism that loses impact when you have freeplay and save states.

It doesn't though, because the issue isn't about not having enough money to credit feed through the game, it's about how it affects the game's design from the perspective of clearing and scoring on a single credit. Yes, you can practice and get to the point where you just won't die, but the game's design is still affected by the fact that it's a credit muncher and at times it can be frustrating because it feels like that took the design priority over proper playability.

fuck off with this utter guff, it's barely different from any shmup that you have to learn, i just think you're so butthurt and shit you haven't even figured out the fairies yet, i die and recover plenty and it's no where near as rough as gradius because dx was rebalanced from 2.

stgs are whiney soyboy fodder.

>get told
>sperg out
like clockwork

Even with fairies, Raiden II is a complete quarter muncher and is a lot more punishing on death than most other shooters

>than most other shooters
Not that user but would you say this is true in comparison to other shooters of it's time or is this a general sweeping statement?

Generalization, because the context is in playing it nowadays on MAME.

who's talking about 2? DX is wayyyyy more lenient IF YOU GET THE FUCKING FAIRIES, this always literally boils down to you are a fucking shit player always looking for excuses.

well dx is 96 and was specifically retuned to make it friendlier than 2, it's not as bad as gradius but is worse than the modern pleb shit this bunch of skilless one style gurus play. 2 is legit infuriating but dx isn't much at all unless you suck at routing and execution..

>raidung 2 is soooooooo hardcore omg
>rated 30 on jap wiki
LUL!

>I know, I'll post off-topic because I have nothing better to do with my time than post about beat 'em ups in the shmup general on Veeky Forums!

What's wrong with being a slut?

how about a STG with these controls on a standard gamepad:

- l2 and r2 for the cave-style wide and focused shot respectively

- l1 and r1 for manually rotating the player character as in zero gunner

- left stick for controlling the player character, l3 for some special attack, maybe something that hits right behind the player character and takes time to recharge

- right stick for manually aiming your options over the screen, r3 for "tagging" (and untagging) enemies and have them be automatically attacked by your options as in ketsui. this would solve the problem of all previous lock-on systems in 2D STGs either not seperating movement from aiming (xevious, rayforce) or being retardedly broad and automatic (crimzon clover). crimson dragon did this logical seperation not too long ago for 3D rail shooters actually, but nobody gave the game its due credit.

- face buttons are free then for bombs, hypers, (upgrade selection? speed control?) or toggling your l3 special attack of choice, buttons then you wont necessarily need to have your fingers on all the time

anyway, what do you think? I thought this up earlier today. it would make for a unique game if nothing else

thats pretty high for a game that's solely a survival game. the loops are nuts.

>being this much of a miserable mad cunt
jel that you suck at all genres?

mite b cool

Prototype it!

Has anybody here heard of Bullet Hell Monday on the IOS and android?

>jel that you suck at all genres?
Mad that off-topic posts are so prevalent here that you'll post about entirely different genres.

Well it isn't actually Casper, so... maybe. I dunno.

maybe I should. I know literally nothing about game development though. I suppose there is no RPG maker equivalent, for these games, and it would suck anyway even if it did.
how and on which engine did, say, the blue revolver guys make their game? I just saw that it sold 7,5k times and it really makes you think, namely that any STG that wants to sell a respectable amount needs to prominently feature more or less well-drawn anime women. the only fitting player characters for a rotation-style game are choppers, magical humans and mechas in any case.

Bahmpu~

>I suppose there is no RPG maker equivalent, for these games, and it would suck anyway even if it did.
I don't know if it's english, but there's STG Maker which was used for stuff like Kaikan and Graze Counter.

Blue Revolver was made in Love2D. There's not much to a shmup, you can make one in pretty much anything.

Bump

You can't get extend from the stage 3? Just use hyper man

>this would solve the problem of all previous lock-on systems in 2D STGs either not seperating movement from aiming (xevious, rayforce) or being retardedly broad and automatic (crimzon clover).
Guwange on the XBox360 already had a mode where you controll the character with left stick and the option/shiki with right stick. It's nothing new. People just rarely did this because STGs are not twin stick shooters, I guess. Many people like to play just with an arcade stick rather, that's also why I think such controlls are only good for special modes in the game, except you develope for certain twin stick consoles, like Sin & Punishment 2 for the Wii for example.

I was already thinking about very similar disigns, and I came to the conclusion that such a controll layout is basically nothing else than a double play mode like in Raiden IV or Ikaruga. They are interesting for special modes, but I think the original mode in the game should have controls which fit to arcade sticks too.

I hate having to use stick buttons, fine otherwise. Why is tagging manual?

>any STG that wants to sell a respectable amount needs to prominently feature more or less well-drawn anime women
That's just what Cave wants you to think, but in reality all that counts is just if you make a good game. CCWI doesn't have any anime in it and was still relatively popular for a shooting game.

What if I make an STG with cute anthro animal pilots

You will forever be compared to Sine Mora
Rather do it Star Fox style, with more animal-like animals.

>Rather do it Star Fox style, with more animal-like animals.
That would be the plan, yes
I did say cute after all, nothing about Sine Mora is cute

Sine Mora just uses a more realistic style, while Star Fox is very cartoony.

anthro + realistic is a combination that should never be made

Sounds like it makes you insecure about sexuality.
I personally think Sine Mora's art is really good. Sadly the gameplay kinda sucks.

>Sounds like it makes you insecure about sexuality.
how
I'm gay as fuck

Dump

I got super galaxy squadron ex turbo and it's not great, but I tried the "classic version" you can launch it as and it's notably better
How do you actively make a game worse like this

>worse than the modern pleb shit this bunch of skilless one style gurus play
I also played stuff like Strikers, which in contrary to you beatmup pleb actually cleared. The thing I dislike about Raiden 2 or Raiden DX is mostly tanks suddenly appearing at the bottom in a corner and immediately killing you. This happens all the time in this game, and it doesn't make it a pleasant experience imo.

In games like Strikers you could at least still use a bomb if you got caught off guard, but in Raiden 2 it's just "lol I will just place this tank at your butt and have it immediately shooting you because fuck you".

yeah, I am aware of Guwange's 360 arrange mode, but the shikis work more in practice along the lines of a spatially limited "bullet time" device instead of the targeting system I had in mind, and then guwange is a special case anyway with its commando-style movement.

as you said, the potential of the second stick has so far only been rudimentarily explored in proper (i. e. not geometry wars) STGs by way of console arrange modes, and considering this controller design is some two decades old by now, I really do think it is high time someone made a traditional STG designed with these controls from the ground up, especially considering that with the functional death of STGs in the arcades there is no pressing need to conform to classic arcade controls. in fact, playing hard corps uprising some time ago it dawned on me that many if not all 2D action games could profit from a move toward new control schemes. consider as an interesting example also the rear paddle buttons of the xbox one elite controller, which could be used in conjunction with a twin-stick wielding of the controller.

well it has to be, imagine you are moving the targeting reticule across the screen and you want to target a specific enemy at the very edge of the top right and there are other enemies in the way. if the reticule locked on automatically, you wouldnt have the choice of whom to target, or else would need to awkwardly move the cross hair around the other enemies. in any case, the goal is to maximise the player's control over the lock-on system without having it degenerate into a game of whack-a-mole. I wouldnt want to use any existing 2D arcade STG with sticks either, but then they havent been designed with them in mind.

>I really do think it is high time someone made a traditional STG designed with these controls from the ground up
I disagree, because such controlls are not exactly great for STGs. I already tried playing like this when doing double play runs in Ikaruga, Raiden IV, or Garegga, and it feels really awkward to play like this. It's something I really would only do in a special arranfge mode.

You could go the CCWI route and sell it for dirt cheap, put it on every bundle and hope popular youtubers pick it up.

Jametown is also very popular and has no anime girls in it. Same goes for Revolver 360, Sine Mora, Ikaruga, etc
It's mostly just a mix of making an impressive game and good marketing.

It's mostly luck, notice how half of those were covered by Totalbiscuit or streamers like slowbeef. The rest is a low price. Revolver 360 isn't even that popular even though it costs next to nothing.

>Revolver 360 isn't even that popular
Well, I was talking about steam sells, and there it is one of the most popular shmups, apart from the usual crap like Enter the Gungeon, Cuphead, etc of course.

It is cheap, yes, but it also has a very good meta score, so people not just buy it because it's cheap. If I would make a doujin I would sell it for cheap anyway, because except you are a genius, you could never compete with games by professional developer team.

>half of those were covered by Totalbiscuit or streamers like slowbeef
That's because they appealed to those kinds of people. That's not luck. Totalbiscuit would never cover a game like Blue Revolver, for example, because it is not as impressive. Jamestown however appealed to such people because it has pretty impressive sprite work mostly. It's mostly just about graphics I would say, if your game is successfull or not.

He doesn't cover shmups period from what I've seen, so that ship has sailed. Superbunnyhop used to do a series where games like this were sent to him by fans, but he stopped doing it as well. No idea about slowbeef. The graphics are a factor but not a major one, it still comes down to luck mostly. Otherwise how do you explain games like Strania failing miserably? Can't chalk it up to a lack of marketing because that's the norm for shmups. Hard not to be pessimistic about this.

>He doesn't cover shmups period from what I've seen
Well, I once saw him covering Raiden IV and even CCWI, so apparently he does cover shmups if enough people suggest it to him.

>how do you explain games like Strania failing miserably?
The game costs 15 bucks and is very japanese styled with mechas while being made by a very niche developer. Steam users mostly consist of people only playing western shit like Cuphead. I also think it has to do with not being "retro" enough. I made the experience that many many people who play shmups actually only play them because they are hipsters, and a game like Strania with its 3d graphics is just not "retro2 enough for them.

That was pre-ass cancer TB, it's not the same anymore. The weebness of mechs wasn't a problem for Astebreed. That got played by best friends and was on humble bundle. The latter is the best option for shmups it seems, the most popular Astroport games were on humble bundle, and CCWI of course. Not sure how it works but I doubt small devs have much influence over bundle choices.

>No idea about slowbeef
He still streams some shmups, but he's usually very casual about his play i.e. credit feeding and not going for 1ccs.

DSP played both Deathsmiles games.

>The weebness of mechs wasn't a problem for Astebreed
Astebreed also has very impressive graphics though. More impressive than Strania. It's also not like regular shmups, but very different.

It's literally just Alltynex Second

Based

I find the gmae plays very differently, mainly because because of the huge player shield.
It's a very manic shooter, similar to Revolver 360.

Strania or Alltynex Second are much more traditional shooters.

Yeah you just suck basically, the yellow bombs are instant and lol at calling me a bmup pleb when you haven't cleared a snigle one, you are low skill.

>I'm gay as fuck

>waahhh mum he isn't sticking to the topic! muh stg
then you are ridiculous sad and need some perspective in life, loser authoritarian cunt.

>I'm going to continue shitposting off-topic white noise because I have nothing better to do
Sad!

>i'm so triggered and a control freak that anything not stg is white noize to me!
>*fingers in ears* lalala

What a sad piece of shit, guaranteed lefty aswell.

Yes, non-shmups in a thread specifically dedicated to shmups is white noise.

>guaranteed lefty aswell.

>Yeah you just suck basically
No, the game is just badly designed basically. It's something completely different if you are not prepared for a bullet pattern in Strikers, or if a tank literally shows up on screen and immediately shoots you in the butt like in Raiden 2/DX.

Add to this stupid design choices like Vulcan being the only good weapon while making collecting power ups really difficult (in 3d Raiden they actually fixed this by making it easier to collect the power-ups). Plus Vulcan even makes it harder to see enemy bullets. The game just has a lot of design flaws which can be pretty annoying.

Let him post his bmup clears. I for one find it still better than just bumping the thread at least.

How can a grown adult be this triggered by something so trivial? get your fucking mind straight you elitest shite, you need to be murdered. I'm sorry you're bad at games :(

Nah you just need excuses for sucking once again, poor player needs every game to have the same design, sad. Smart ppl adapt to each challenge, if you suck change your approach.

you say it like he's an authority when he's just some triggered weak soyboy who needs echo chambers to stop a meltdown, complete faggot element...
and i'm gonna post em more now anyway.

THIS IS NOW /BMUP/, IF YOU CAN'T 1CC ANY GET THE FUCK OUT MY INTERNET HOUSE.

>Smart ppl adapt to each challenge
Just because you recognize flaws in a game doesn't mean you can't adapt to it. I also still think the suicide bullets in Strikers are bullshit and a design flaw, but I still adapted to it more or less.

Yeah, nah. He's free to make bmup threads on /v/ or /vr/ though. It's entirely possible for off-topic AND empty bumps to be considered trash.

Oh no, he's going to continue being a faggot in a dead general!
Speaking of triggered, why is it you always make huge posts filled with weak ad-hominem when people point out that your posts are worthless shit?

i don't like shmups anymore