/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

God of Blood edition
Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161328.msg7254632#msg7254632
bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for linux update when

Do dwarves choose their favorite type of alcohol now? Maybe if they order it in a tavern? I want to get happy drunken thoughts all the time, not on the occasion.

That is the ugliest dwarf I have ever seen.

>embark on what the map shows to be a small channel between two continents
>Decide to build a bridge to link the two
>It's a land bridge that gets covered by waves occasionally
>Make a 1zlvl fort
>Years later a bronze Colossus comes during a goblin siege
>It falcon punches 50 of them with a dirty toga until they retreat
>It somehow falls unconscious on a cage trap
>Build an arena with a tunnel I can open to the surface and put him in there
>Skill my marksdwarves on it and drop goblin prisoners in for fun
>A 120 gob siege comes a couple years later
>Release him to deal with the green skins
>Can't lure him back into the arena
>Send military to put bronzebro down
>He dodges into the ocean
>To this day he still sits on the ocean for
>Watching
>Waiting

This is because he could not find his favorite rum and was forced to drink shitty gutter cruor!

>dwarf goes berserk because no shells
>marksdwarf is right beside him
>suddenly this
holy shit

>whole army of humans waiting on corner of map not attacking
god i fucking hate humans, at least elves and goblins have the decently to go into my death pits.

I raided the elves in the north and my dwarves came back with a bunch of medical textbooks. WTF do I do with them?

build a library

If these guys survive, its a miracle

>elven medical textbooks

Mistakes were made
Overall I give the new update and 9/10 its great now to do an actual fort

Fuck Im acutally not dead
I lost 14 guys but killed a good amount of them and they fled off.
Still kicking

what the fug

>[Guest Cap: 100]

Have any mods focused on adventure mode updated yet?

Wrong one.

give the map

how come i cant build a bowyer or fishery?

>fairly new fort
>pair of wild giant tortoises hanging around outside for almost a year now
>considering setting up cage traps just to capture them so I can butcher them and get some more interesting wildlife
>collect the mechanisms and terrariums I need
>move view to the surface to set the build sites
>notice a red C on the left
>"The werechameleon bites the giant tortoise in the shell, but the attack glances away!" x 16 pages
>he was stealthed and none of my dorfs had even spotted him yet
>send squad out, axedwarf oneshots the creep
>nobody got hurt, not even the tortoise
I've changed my mind, you guys are okay. maybe I'll tame them and send them back out

I'm a noob and this is the first time I've ever had a dorf do this.

lurk moar

its ritual suicide just ignore it

forbid the workshop for a free gift

I hope this guy has an ax?

that's a hot take how can i subscribe to your blog?

make sure he has the shit he wants (use k or l or something) and youll get a cool artifact and a legendary bone/stone/woodcarver or something
if he doesnt get his stuff, he'll go crazy and try to kill someone or kill himself

Hey. To get 1 sheet of parchment, do you need all the skin of an adult cow or did Toady turn on the brain and did it ok? Does anyone even make books?

Phew, glad we got that cleared up. For a second there none of that made any sense at all.

It got worse I think?

you were rambilng to him about the evils of capitalism. you'd shoot a planter if you were bored too

easier to make books out of pig tail sheets.

>dorf fortress
>easier

I played dwarf fortress once and now I'm gay

it's a nice idea but way more complicated than its marginal flavour value justifies, like setting up a waxcrafting industry
this basically

What's the most aesthetic material for a museum? I've been using marble myself.

Aluminum.

Will anyone attack me or even notice that their artifacts are gone. I have stolen artifacts from the humans, the elves, and even other dwarfs and its like they don't even care. it seems to easy

Aluminium

Yep, you need a whole skin. Also if you want to make parchment, remember to disable automatic tanning.
Not true. It only takes a few steps to make a quire, and if you have a scholar then the result is a unique book, the contents of which will persist in the world.

Candy.

Aluminiumium.

Open up the Workshop menu by hitting the (q)uery button. It'll list items in various ways. If he was "taken by a fey mood" he'll say shit like "I need logs" wait to see if it changes. If it does those are the other required items. If it doesn't he already has everything he needs.

Post results, I keep getting variously more bad ass things like a solid gold mining pick. Pick Related.

I'm at a loss on how to deal with engravings, visibility varies a lot depending on wall color, white seems to be the worst, and it's kind of a common color for stone. Haven't looked at it yet, but I presume twbt will tlet me change walls depending on wether they're engraved? if so that opens B and C as a posibility, or even full walls as normal and dithered walls as engravings (D)
struggling with stairs and dirt ground too, assuming I don't use stone ground on the later

also, just found out platinum dragon has been working on pic related since 2016
c-crazy how two people can independently aim for a similar thing, right? haha my tileset will be pointed at as plagiarism now if I ever finish it ;_;

is that the guy who made retrodayz tiles for cdda?

I haven't tried he new dorf fort version yet, but is it possible to set the squads you send out on missions to not be in "sneak" mode? Is it possible to send a squad out to some location just with the goal of randomly killing people? Or does there need to be an artifact there to steal?

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161328.msg7254632#msg7254632
seems like it, but I don't really keep up with the forums

This is sexy as hell, but was it ever released?

No, it's sneak mode only for now.

still in development, de platino claimed he was "a little over halfway done" back in july this year

A giantess stole the only necromancer slab in the world and brought it back to her cave.

The new emergent gameplay potential in this version is pretty cool.

"Crikey look at the size of 'er!"
The Dwarven Child Stev McIrwin Punches the cave crocodile in the head with his left hand, bruising the muscle!
The force bends the neck!
The cave crocodile misses Stev McIrwin
Remember, don't try this at home! DANGAH DANGAH DANGAH
Stev McIrwin punches...

That's how I read that in my head.

>A giantess stole the only necromancer slab in the world
too bad she's illiterate, a necromancer giantess would be kickass

Yeah I was thinking that too.
Incidentally, it'd be cool if the secrets could be transmitted verbally in game. In worldgen necromancers can teach their apprentices so I feel like verbal transmission is implied.

On that note, imagine going into a crowded marketplace, shouting out the secrets of life and death, and mass-converting everyone within earshot to necromancers.

What gems in the game are pink?

Whenever I hear about the myth and magic update, it sounds like a "it can do literally aaaanything" thing.
I wonder what toady will focus on and how he'll break it apart into actually releasable chunks.

Shit, purple actually. Mayor likes the color fushia so i want to make him a matching gem window.

>the god of life intervenes in what it believers to be too much of an influence of death in the world and outlaws dying altogether, thus making your necromancy useless
I can't wait for the myths and magic update
especially for planar travel

It seems that he'll announce it after this update/bugfixing cycle. I'm also quite curious to see. I hope the chunks are relatively small so we can see them implemented sooner rather than later.

>It somehow falls unconscious on a cage trap
Bronze colossi can't go unconcious, but they're not trap avoid, they don't need to in order to get caught.
The other thing is a known bug, it hits FBs in cavern pools a lot. They just lose the ability to path anywhere once they get underwater. Doesn't happen every time, though. I was kind of hoping the stuck-in-trees bug fix would accidentally fix this one too.

he seems to be locked onto the following

artifacts that can do one of a number of different things
magical beasts with magical abilities and properties
limited planar travel
gods as entities that can be met
myth slider on world-gen

although he outlines alot more here
bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
alot of it is generalizing what the game already has into more randomly generated tings
wizards sites instead of only necromancy towers etc
>tfw you might get to be a wizard's apprentice within a few major updates

I'd like to see a world where the aboveground is ruled by necromancer warlords and their undead legions, with any living animals and humanoids being slain by the undead and carted back to the necropolises for reanimation, meanwhile the displaced living hide in caves and underground.

sounds metal as fuck

I was talking about parchment vs. plant paper
but don't let reading get in the way of your need to correct someone

Is there a way to get the new release to work in Linux, thru wine? Have Ubuntu, two days, nada. I am fiending here! Here, have a doodle so you'll ignore the fact I am retarded, or something...

Toady said in the last FotF that he wasn't going to support Linux anymore, and even floated the idea of putting in malicious code to damage the machines of Linux users. Windows is next. DF was originally intended to be played exclusively on mac products, and I for one am glad Toady is finally prepared to enforce that.

>necromancer husk emperor unites the warring factions for the first time in 4000 years
>musters the legions for the 8th Grey Crusade
>calls the ancient undead megabeasts out from the dungeons
>marches on the last stronghold of life, the last unbroken dwarven fortress deep in the mountains

That really hurt...

you know its sad that i had my hopes up through the first quarter of this post

>luckily a scouting party saw
>they rush back to the mountain home, the undead army at their backs
>they make it in time
>the dwarven king, too sure of his walls and traps believes he can last any siege
>the scouting party slips out of the mountain home, just in time to watch it get overrun with the undead
>they're the only remaining living beings in the world
>7 dwarves, ready to carve out a new mountainhome

You don't get migrants when there's no other cities anymore, right?

other than your initial 2 hardcoded migrant waves? nah
that was just some memey storytelling tho

Currently you get 2 hardcoded waves of migrants no matter what, but after that you wont. That might change in the starting scenarios update, which is scheduled for after the myth/magic update(s).

>which is scheduled for after the myth/magic update(s).
That feel when "2020" sounds like a reasonable guess now.

not everything is a meme user

it is if I say it is and put
>meme arrows
on it
do you think he'll stagger the myths and magic update.
seems like a bit much to do all at once

actually, checking the dev site makes it seem like starting scenarios are after the magic update

I hesitate to even say it but I expect the myth and magic updates to take at least 4 or 5 years. And then for the starting scenarios, another year or two. So let's say 2023 for myth and magic (hopefully some partial updates in between), and 2024 for the starting scenarios.

and after that, boats or economy

He's said that he plans to break it up into several updates.

After many years of work, my boat fortress is presentable. The smelting room looks like shit but oh well.

>we're finally getting into the twenties
about time we got rid of these nameless 00's and 10's, boughts and tens just sound weird

>nameless 00's
the naughts
>10's
yeah, I've seen no good name for those

Economy and boats are the starting scenarios update. Starting scenarios needs concepts of status and property, which needs the economy, which needs boats. He's talked about this at length in FotFs.

Aughts, Naughts, Teens, aughties.

Looks pretty cool user.

Is that so? Reading the FotFs led me to the impression that they'd be separate.

Did random goblin ambushes get rebalanced? It's been a few years now and I haven't seen a single one.

Also note that there's no mention of boats in the starting scenarios section of the dev page, and that both the world economy and boats are in the unordered list below the artifacts/myth and magic/starting scenario section.

Boats seem likely to be done at the same time as moving fortress parts and siege weapons.

How the hell am I supposed to hold off the suicidal thoughts for that long