/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

an old foe resurfaces because you were too lazy to do anything about it edition

> Play Demo Day 17
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17

> Current Mecha Jam (2 days of submission time left)
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/PAX2PvrV
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/BdjWRwX8

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_B2ARRChOJw
youtube.com/watch?v=29FsJam7F1U
youtube.com/watch?v=7CoNAHqyRtg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_MacLeod_(musician)
youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA
youtube.com/watch?v=32nV2PKIv5Y&t=24s
youtube.com/watch?v=SHDQZJjFebo
pastebin.com/mN1K6jS3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

my game design document is almost done bros

youtube.com/watch?v=_B2ARRChOJw

How much money can I make off making free music, sprites and 3D?

Everyone uses incopetench music, but I wonder how much money he makes.

>How much money can I make off making free music, sprites and 3D?
>how much money
>free

Royalty free is good for publicity. Kevin MacLeod is a name I actually know because of this song:
youtube.com/watch?v=29FsJam7F1U

Aside from that, you'd obviously make no money off it.

youtube.com/watch?v=7CoNAHqyRtg

This was everywhere for like a month

I read that he makes quite a bit of money purely from donations.

Arise, chicken

all thats left is making the game, you're half way done!

Some enemies get panic status when on fire, shown by the purple outline, others don't mind

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_MacLeod_(musician)

I'm sure he makes enough money to live fine.

>how much money can I make if I cherry-pick the single most successful example in the field

Does Hollow Knight's graphics look good in your opinion?

What do you watch while gamedevving?

youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA

yeah, because he has 2k free songs that are free to use.

if any artfaggot made a complete rpg maker set, enough to make your own game, he would be famous as well.

The worst of agdg interacting welcome to the discord.

I'd say the characters look alright, and the foreground and background art look very good.

It all also seems cohesive, in that the alright characters don't look out of place on top of the very nice backgrounds.

>googem great game designer of menu based "games"

Yeah anyone should really take his advice on games with actual gameplay.

>his game
>his
I didn't know gogem is disrespectful of pronouns of others.

He was asking how much money Kevin MacLeod (Incompetech) makes, retard.

No, he literally asked
>How much money can I make off making free music, sprites and 3D?
Sourcefag

characters are just above average, backgrounds are great, but what really makes it pretty is the heavy use of particle effects and screen filters.

Googum is right, though. Puzzle games are about puzzles, not adding a new mechanic to the pile on every level and only making it the focus of 2-3 puzzles at best.

>Everyone uses incopetench music, but I wonder how much money he makes.

I'm a sucker for that hand drawn with heavy parallax style.

Personally I would be bored if there wasn't new art assets or something NEW even if its tiny like a new enemy model or something in a puzzle platformer with 40 or so levels.

to be fair Googs isn't 'wrong' perse on this one. The difficulty should come in mixing and matching different traps and puzzle elements in new and exciting ways. Knowing how it works is only getting your foot in the door. Now deal with it all together.

Bokube is a puzzle game where the focus is platforming.

>>Everyone uses incopetench music, but I wonder how much money he makes.
I wasn't replying to that part of his post, work on your reading comprehension

>/agdg/'s idol getting btfo.png

What is even bokube? Captain toad didn't have any platforming so why is he shoving it in when hes suppose to make Bokube a clone of it?

The guy you were responding to clearly was answering the "how much does he make" part.

because he played super mario odyssey and got ""inspired""

The amount of flickering makes it hard to read. If it was just the panicked one that flickered I could understand that but when they both flicker it makes it hard to tell what information you're trying to get across.

Then get rid of the tile based movement. You can have your push blocks move one tile at a time without the player also doing it.

Captain toad introduced one new trap/element/enemy on every level you can even see that in the trailer.

youtube.com/watch?v=32nV2PKIv5Y&t=24s

Hell you could even argue its platforming without being able to jump if you actually watch some of the gameplay.

If he made his game exactly like captain toad people would complain hell agdg complained at one point last year.

You're literally complaining about him making it DIFFERENT from captain toad.

>platforming without being able to jump

Yeah I can see that getting confusing, will probably tone it down a tad

Oh this looks pretty cool! The vision cone stuff threw me off at first, but I guess that's just a game element you need to get used to. It might help if the screen slowly panned over to where you're looking than have the player always in the middle.

it is I mean most of these objects are ripped out of mario 3D world as captain toad uses the same assets but toad CANT jump yet the enemies and some of the hazards are ripped straight from 3D world many of them mario would simply jump over, the toad avoids.

>Going hard at gamedev
>Making lots of progress every day
>Excited about game
>Thanksgiving happens
>Suddenly all motivation is gone

I don't know what happened, but I haven't opened my project in days. Help.

>Hell you could even argue its platforming without being able to jump

>Has anyone here actually wrote more than 700 lines of code?

I'm at 75814 (C++) right now along with 3635 for the LS parts. + for random JSON data (if you want to count that, but not really), another 3017.

Assuming you agree that steam is already filled up to the brink with low effort or babbys first game titles like yours. Why did you put it in steam? You could've just released it in itch.io for free. I understand wanting to get your first finished project out there I actually did put mine in Steam but it was a group effort and I no longer have any say if it stays there or not but you could've been a part of the change for the better.

post it and we'll tell you whether you should keep going or not

I could've sworn I've seen Shout's art before.

youtube.com/watch?v=SHDQZJjFebo

And a VN with Doom sprites is an FPS.

doom dating sim when

google hdoom

complex object state synchronizing (specifically the phase and skybox). still very imperfect but I think I'm finally competent at UNET.

Motivation doesn't mean shit when you have something you need to make. Take a break and do some work. It doesn't matter what or how much you do, just make sure you get into the habit of doing productive stuff regardless of your mood.

Revamped the status screen, now you can highlight a stat to see what it does.
Also new cursor

how do I install aseprite on ubuntu?

this game better have bad ends that involve rape

Reminder Unity > custom engines

What about my own engine in my own language?

it's fuckin algebra little CIA nigger

Sorry its not an Hgame. I get a ton of people asking me how to get to the sex scenes though

>inferiority complex so strong he thinks boku is agdg's idol
no wonder you hate him so much you are delusional with jealousy

Probably the most confusing thing to me about getting into networking using uNet is their pricing model if I want to actually release a game that uses it.

Are you planning to use Unitys hosting or cloud based services?

I'm currently watching videos on Youtube about writing my own server/client options because of my uncertainty with unity's uNet option going forward.

Reminder gogem loves to sabotage devs who chat with him

pastebin.com/mN1K6jS3

rotatedev = yukizini
gogem = pigpen

[09:03] i almost finished games before
[09:05] are you going to finish rotatevania
[09:07] i believe in you mang
[09:07] ya i am
[09:07] lol
[09:07] don't lol i finished tons of things
[09:07] like what?
[09:07] for example i finished like
[09:07] um
[09:07] i made
(didn't list anything)
[09:09] that wormgirl thing is never finishing though, it's barely started
[09:09] you and your 40 artists have done like a week of work in the past year or whatever
[09:10] real triple A workflow for the ugliest generic game on AGDG
[09:10] the dev will get faster now that i know what i should do
[09:10] oh you realized?
[09:11] yea i know what to do now
[09:11] that you need to get rid of all the deadweight artists?
[09:11] le copy a gba castlevania and change it later :3
[09:11] good for you
[09:11] oh no
[09:11] welp, maybe you'll finish that halloween game
[09:11] maybe
[09:16] game development was a mistake

Maybe I'm saying the wrong thing? I don't want to buy anything from them. I have no reason to. I've successfully ran the server on Linux as server-only and connected to it as a client.

>people willing to spend $10+ ordering pizza or seeing movies
>bitch at you for pricing your game at $5-10

I don't know who either of these people are but gogem is right.

If you're constantly adding in new gimmicks they are never going to be fully developed. Focus on one area of your design and try to flesh it out as much as you reasonably can.

>obligatory DURHH BUT HE RIGHT THOUGH
Shut the fuck up you retarded cunt.

gogem was in the right here

pizza you know will be good
games are a gamble

i've spent $60 on a new release i played maybe 5 minutes.

t.googem

this thread has so much autistic drama that should not exist and would not exist if you guys stopped sucking each other's dicks off-site and just posted progress lmfao

Was that all done local, or were you able to host on one pc and give an ip address to another computer to connect to it?

I used a Linode $5/mo VPS and a remote address.

>DURHH BUT HE RIGHT THOUGH

I'm not paying $15 for the pizza, I'm paying for the effort saved from not cooking

That's actual good criticism. Sometimes having somebody be an asshole and tell you that you haven't actually done anything of value yet is important.

The next important thing to do is recommend how they should proceed to actually get some results which he neglected to do. Like prototyping, either for art, level design, gameplay elements, etc.

You need to have an overall idea of what the game is going to be like but you can only build things one step at a time.

>i've spent $60 on a new release i played maybe 5 minutes.
This says more about your own stupidity

fuck off, rotate, you've done enough damage to this general

>your life is this banal
>you think we give a shit about your forced OP memes
Really sad OP. Just a level of despair and sadness and a level of nodev that is just unfathomable. Really fucking sad. Almost sourceposter tier.

I'm a newfriend here.

if I make a complete platformer asset pack, would you buy it?

how is that possible in the internet age

>complete

I want a complete zelda like topdown 3D (link between worlds) asset pack. There is already 5 3D complete platformer asset packs on the asset store but 0 zelda ones.

Only if it's modular, has incredible art, is $25 or less, and has enough files for me to be happy with.

So probably not, my standards are too high and I'd rather just make stuff myself.

Okay, so there are other options out there. Good to know. Are you mostly using the stock uNet components, and Command/ClientRPC calls, or did you find the need to make custom components?

'tism

>take 3D assets
>rotate them
???

Gogem is an old man with no games and zero imagination. He has slideshows and a rock paper scissors game, that is literally all he has ever made.

Boku is making a 3D game with multiple genres and it infuriates gogem because gogem can't create even a moderately competent game when autistically focusing on just one gimmick in one genre. Every one of gogem's """""""game""""""""s is a shallow gimmick reflecting his background as a failed newgrounds e-card creator.

Always do the opposite of what gogem says. Nobody is going to refund this game because it has too many mechanics, because they aren't old people, they actually play games. Gogem on the other hand is a middle aged man who hasn't played videogames since the NES era.

The only custom stuff I'm using is an open source "barebones master server framework" that is used to build an authoritative matchmaking system of your own.

It's been done before.

kek

Wait which one is getting btfo?
Who is agdg's idol?

stop

No he's talking from the standpoint of finishing development on a game.

If you constantly keep expanding the scope you will never finish anything at all. You'll get bored and upset. I guarantee it.

Games don't fail because they have too many mechanics, they fail to get finished and end up with a lot of underdeveloped shit in it.

If you focus on one core part of the game and develop that first then you can put other stuff around it later.

It's called a 3D puzzle game

>this is the power of being an antiboku poster

How old should my cute female player character be if I want to reach max audience appeal?

Reading through it now on github, thanks fortaking the time to offer answers user, and good luck with your game!

>That's actual good criticism.
Which part? All he did was tell rotate to drop his artist, referring to the two of them as "40 artists".
Where is the advice even? What is he right about???

Don't list an age and just have them be super cute.

>implying bokudev hasn't made more progress towards finishing a game than 90% of this thread