/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Just like practice every day and always improve your skills edition.

> Play Demo Day 17
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17

> Current Mecha Jam (TWO DAYS)
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/PAX2PvrV
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/BdjWRwX8

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
knightdev.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=EGSlFE6YvQM
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GloryDays
youtube.com/watch?v=yeD8lVYwAWQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wonder how many indies will be nominated this year.

GODOT WA DARE DESU KA

A good game is fully customizable and moddable. The more values and options you can change, the more artwork you can replace, the more moddable your game is.
Does this mean Unity and UE are technically essentially highly moddable games?

>A good game is fully customizable and moddable.
Nope, that's not true at all. Rigid games where you can change very little can be just as good, it's totally subjective.

I want to add nudity and romance scenes to the game, well it's all going to be pixel titties and pussies but Steam has age restriction I guess. I also heard some devs make their games hackable with small patches so if you want to see the nudity you can simply do this.

Has anybody did such a thing, or has a valid example of it? No I dont care about rotting the minds of kids but want to be a smart goy and reach the as much customer as I can.

"As for Godot, Is Godot being over there the case?

Another user got that before me, but it had to be done. I was too lazy to set up deflecting barriers for a feature written in a few minutes so I tested it on snails, of course.

>libgdx
>libgdx-ai
>the roguelike library everyones uses (java port)
yes or no?

no
love

That's fantastic. The screenshake is a bit much for me though, make sure you at least have an option to disable/lessen it.

do you plan to change character animations?

It's supposed to be. It's damage screen shake, so that it feels like it has actual impact. Normally you won't fight against 100 fucking enemies, so don't worry.

Yeah, I did a prototype last week. Though I will probably get to finish character after environments.

How do I into context menus?

I have a ui marker that has a reference to the object it's tied to, but it's a base object. Am I stuck doing something like:

selected object = ui.get last selected object();

if(selected object is a unit) { show unit context(); }
if(selected object is a colony) { show colony context(); }
if(selected object is a tile) { show tile context(); }

Or is there something else I should be doing?

LUDUM DARE IN 4 DAYS
REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR GOOD THEMES AND REJECT THE SHIT ONES

----[ Recap ]----
Game:Kick-in'
Dev:Kickindev
Tools:GM:S
Web:kickindev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ Began rewriting how the game checks collision to resolve a number of inconsistencies and bugs related to how I was doing hitreg before.

Its time to retire the Monday Recap lads.

>Alchemy
>Strange combinations
>Some assembly required
Wouldn't any of these basically result in the same games as each other?

Remixed and ready for action

Rotate thread?

Give me an idea for a simple 2 player multiplayer game

2 players? Fighting. Or maybe something based upon board games, such as checkers or chess.

Team deathmatch 2v0

One player does speed, other does turning

>OP pic
Ah yes the "talent isn't real" meme.
You know talent is the result of genetic predisposition yes? The people who are born with innate talents for art or math or writing have inherited gifts that you cannot match. Accept that talent is not a meme but a fact of life, and you will be one step closer to making a game instead of losing yourself to apathy over your inability to match people with talent.

>Actually making a game with godot

I scored in the top 1% on logic and spatial reasoning in the military standardized tests in high school. I don't have any problem with the idea of talent. I was literally born to be a game dev.

Will you ever be as good a swimmer as a genetic freak like Michael Phelps? Probably not. That doesn't mean you can't become a top tier competitive swimmer through sheer force of will.

Ah yes, I remember being born with the ability to write engaging full length novels.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Most people waste their talents, so much so that a lot of talented people don't even know they are talented. At the end of the day, the best talent is dedication.

I'd say your odds are even better because game development isn't an objective zero-sum competition like the Olympics.

Just because someone is a 'better' game dev than you doesn't mean they're going to have the ideas which will let you succeed.

Even the talented have to work hard to keep their skills up.

name one reasun i shouldn't mine crypto while devving

This thread has so many annoying people begging for attention and not making games.

How much credit do I get if i'm the ideas guy?
I'm basically making a blueprint of the game

>i tried once and failed
>oh well it's not my fault! it's just that I don't have the talent!
>now that I know this I can safely be a lazy ass and never try anything!

This

like all ue4 guys :^)

No, retard. I am one of the talented people laughing at those of you who claim there is no such thing.

Nothing, maybe a very small footnote if the dev insists.

However most ideaguys (not your case) actually suggest things because they want this game to be made, but don't have the skills or financial resources to make it happen.

>I am one of the talented people
kek sure
you know what would really make me feel inferior? seeing the kind of spectacular game someone with talent can make

Yeah but you won't compete with Olympic swimmers unless you were born with the genetic talents.

Still avoiding the reality I see. That's okay, it's a hard pill to swallow. For many of the nodevs here, the fact that they literally don't have the genetic makeup to grow a brain large enough to be a game developer is too much to handle. I understand.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Roly Poly (tbc)
Dev: Cactuar18
Tools: Unity
Web: -
Progress:
+ Moved all my work to a new computer
+ Fucked around with gravity and speed settings, feels a bit more intuitive now.
+Controller support in
+ Added a 'lock gun' mode, a 'lock player' mode, and a button to set your gravity back to Vector2.down, which is great for getting height when jumping off walls.
- Should really learn tilemaps properly

Am I allowed to reply to a recap post in an older thread? Haven't done this in a while

>tfw I was born with the idea talent but no other talents
How do I reroll?

Don't worry, the more you think about it the easier it will become to accept. Then maybe you can start focusing on your own strengths instead of obsessing over how other people are better than you.

Kojima gets his name on the box

But you have to market yourself like a Rockstar. Think John Romero.

Romero was an actual developer though.

Millennials exist to beg for attention.

>Ideaguys
You are literally so useless it's not even funny.

>you need to compete with the elite to make money
>what is cave story, touhou, undertale, noitu love, kontak games, lisa, ahriman's prophecy, risk of rain, bokube, spelunky, minecraft, derek yu, Vlambeer games
>literally only have to be better than mediocre (good art, music, gameplay, overall good everything) to make money

idea man here
game where you make players implement your ideas and get a cut from it

You seem to be in denial that talent is even a thing.

filename

>what is monolith and other better-than-average games nobody knows about so i can't even name them

Don't you have a garry's mod map to be failing at making after 3 years?

This Paul eres invented minecraft and got 500 euros so I guess the going rate is literally nothing.

They don't care if you quote, it grabs all posts with [recap] in the header

Protip: only losers with no "talent" think "talent" is a thing.
It's a way to justify their lack of skill and their laziness
you'll never see anyone who's actually good at something say "yeah I have talent, I never had to try"

>game where you make players implement your ideas and get a cut from it
This will never happen, because at the exact second you post your idea anybody can steal it.

If you want to make a profit from a game without working, I'm afraid that your only option is actually hiring someone to make it for you. This way you will be owner of 100% of the assets and will receive 100% of profits (make a good contract if you do).

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Good Night, Knight
Dev: Knightdev
Tools: GM:S, Aseprite
Web: knightdev.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ Continued work on fire and panic effects

Better to make a game where players implement their own ideas, and you still get a cut from it.

>things people with no talent believe
It must be hard for those of you with no talent to understand. You haven't experienced what it's like to excel at something in ways that others around you can't even understand.

I would dismiss talent as a false notion myself if I didn't have any. Thankfully though I do, and have observed enough people in denial that I am better than them to see how much it affects people at the very core of their being.

I'll give you my unconditional love if you come up with an idea that makes millions in profits.

just bought a couple of good game ideas in the steam idea sale
wish i could come up with my own ideas but these guys are the experts so i'll happily pay for them

>talent meme
>touhou exist
???

reminds me of fallout 4

What kinda talent do you have?

I forgot I can do this
IT'S RAVE TIME

All of them.

Lasers should emit light so you can use this to see around the corner

Oh shit nice

How can there not be high quality cutouts of Steve Burns, the world should be flooded with those

I thought a dash or lunge could be done easy using a Slerp or Lerp. I WAS WRONFG!

Which just proves the people with the determination gene are the real winners.

Silent Hill or Resident Evil combat for a survival horror game?

Depends on your characters. I prefer RE combat though

The real winners are people with talent and determination. People who are simply determined but not actually good at anything are not the "real winners" they are runner ups.

You guys sound really coddled. Did you not have competitive sports in school?

you mean Steve BALDMAN?

>talent meme
>kancolle exists
youtube.com/watch?v=EGSlFE6YvQM

>You guys sound really coddled. Did you not have competitive sports in school?
"amateur" game dev is full of special snowflakes

Those are the sexiest pixels I've ever seen.

because people who do well at sports in school are so widely known to be successful in adulthood that it has created a trope of the successful former school athlete?

I don't understand what you're trying to say

I don't want to go too off-topic but this image really shocked me when I searched for Steve images

Lost a bit of my innocence there

who said anything about doing well in sports?

No gogem, people who are involved in competitive activities of any kind learn to develop themself beyond their innate abilities. It could be mathletes or science fair competitors, but sports is more common, in fact it's proven that the highest performing graduates even if they aren't top athlete tend to compete in athletic or academic competitions, usually because they have some amount of talent worth expressing.

You wouldn't understand I'm sure. You've only ever had the talent of causing disruptions and mimicking absurdist painters.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GloryDays

Why is there a picture of Northernlion on the right side?

He actually left because he didn't want to go bald on a children's show. He shaved his head the day after.

>when your 'competition' spends all day posting pointless shit online instead of working so their inherent ability is irrelevant

>there are people who think shitposting isn't genetic

>someone triggered me with something they said
>I bet they are in here posting this ALL DAY
>haha I'm going to beat them now
no talent eh?

team activities seem like a good way to prepare a person for a future of blaming everyone else for their failures and being too afraid to tackle things on their own.

this.

This is why I admire Bokudev he spends all day working on progress instead of shitposting like so many here and the progress shows.

youtube.com/watch?v=yeD8lVYwAWQ
How can unity compete?

where is the gameplay?

this is evidence you only need good weeb art to sell.

Googum can you vet my ideaguying for a sec?

Team activities are the fastest way to learn that you can only rely on yourself. I think it would have done you well to stay in America and learn these things, but instead you ran to Australia to jerk off to cartoons of little children and make school shooter e-cards for ebaumsworld. Such a waste.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: ball game
Dev: ball game
Tools: ball game
Web: - ball game
Progress:
+ ball game
- ball game