/domg/ - Dominions General

Brave new world edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep penetration.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP head first, the best learning experience is by playing the game

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Dominions 5

illwinter.com/dom5/

Eaten by horrors

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=BigGuysOnly
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PD6a1YuPL6uN4A0yGexvj4szEwh6xAbZ5pcYzwH_EYE/edit#gid=1823381689
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FULLMEME
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=SeriousGame
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FIRST FOR ABOLETH TRAPS.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=BigGuysOnly

shilling my LA 8man

I will miss times when navy seal copypasta required dedication...

2nd for how many virgins can I sacrifice in one day without papa satan showing up.

Nth for crack better be soon.

>LA
Eh

>big guys
>LA
heh... kidd....

Any changelog with all the new stuff?

OOGA BOOGA WHERE DA TORRENTS AT

Someone'd need to buy it and zip it up first.

I went through all the spells and documented all of the changes I could find, but aside from a few things (magma eruption, send horror, stellar cascades, rain of stones, various spell casting times) it's not very interesting

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PD6a1YuPL6uN4A0yGexvj4szEwh6xAbZ5pcYzwH_EYE/edit#gid=1823381689

What are the most broken custom priest spells you've discovered so far? Auto-chestwound seems pretty funny.

How do I get more commander points as Yomi?

Build more forts.

>Game literally just released
>No turns

Avatarfagging is a bannable offense, dipshit.

The change to StR is pretty decent imho.

>3 assassins each turn from my starting marignon fort
mages are obsolete

also now logrian wisemen are essentially StR

RIP MA Man

>the Ulm who brought an irl friend into that one game and failed to doubleteam rush Ermor.
>the Ulm who staled
>the Ulm who avatar fags with his homosexual anime avatar

Look forward to me joining your PBE games user. Crashing your game, with >>>>>>>>>>>>

torrent is up on tpb for like an hour lad

what is StR?

slow to recruit

>single player
>forget to pick my nation
>still need to manually close the game and boot it back up if I want to go back
fucking
why

made me check
wouldn't it have drm if it's the steam version? I might not mind buying it and sharing in a mega

You can go back after pretender creation by pressing ESC

BGO pretenders

A game for people lacking sense
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FULLMEME

Which nation has a decent long range sacred unit?

Caelum

Why lacking sense? What did you do to the settings?

>80 throne points
>cataclysm turn 5
It's more about holding out against horrors than actually playing the game.

It's impossible at turn 5. It's DOOM horrors, not regular ones. And there will be like 2-3 on each and every throne.

>No turns

It's a nostalgic feeling, isn't it?

DO YOUR FUCKING TURN, ClusterfuckCatastrophe THERODOS!

Is death theoretically a useful scale for a nation that doesn't need to eat?

Do they need to pay for troops?

Alright all you fags making meme games. Here's a serious game.

It still kills your population and thus your income. But it could still be useful in a smaller game where you won't have enough time to suffer.

Is there an easy way to see how much it costs to move from province to province rather than doing the math each time?

Thank god.

Yomi plays really differently now, and I can't tell if it's a nerf or a buff. You can't recruit any oni units any longer; it's all free spawn in any province with a temple, and the more dominion and higher turmoil is in the province, the more oni you get. If it's hot, you get Aka oni, and if it's cold, you get ao oni. You also sometimes get oni and kuro oni, but less frequently, and once in a blue moon you'll get sacred amanojaku. I seem to get more amanojaku in caves, but I don't know if that's just my game or if they're more likely to show up in cave provinces. I don't know if I like the changes or not. It certainly makes ferrying all your oni around from province to province before you can make a mass of them annoying.

so domg, what's the most changed race from dom4

Are there any other nations that have gotten complete overhauls like that?

By the way, I checked and you can't summon amanojaku as Shinuyama or Jomon, which kinda sucks.

How do you make mages auto research on recruitment? I swear that was a thing but I can't for the life of me remember how.

game options

Alright niggers, serious question here.
Did they add new songs to the soundtrack?

game options enable "give orders to new commanders automatically"

Options > Preferences > Gameplay > Give Orders to New Commanders Automatically

Yes.

Cool. Joining. Although be aware that I'm going to bed after submitting the pretender. I'll do a double in the morning if it's started and I end up being last in for turn 1.

Or at least I would be. Has something changed on Llama? The "Send pretender file to [email protected] with game name in the Subject" keeps telling me Valid 2h File Not Found.

it's just buggy right now

I cant send my turn in for big guys.
Same thing with me.

Same problem here.

>play day 1 on llama
>get mad when people take a while to send turns
lmao just blitz you nerds

Panic

Try again, I had the same shit, and it worked after like 5th try.

Yeah Llama is uncooperative. I'll try again if it's not filled up by the morning.

no workshop to make it easier the mod/map support.

no MP lobbie, because llamservers does what illfraud must do for free.

this game stays with the same dozen of autists and never grows.

Yes but the music doesn't change for battle replays, thereby making it worthless.

>Tfw pretty lady singing song isn't in the new soundtrack anymore

Workshop support wouldn't mesh well with the current mod community. But you're right about the other parts.

Is the change to Stellar Cascades enough of a nerf to not make it worth massing? Unlike other spells Cascades is basically useless unless you hit that fatigue threshold.

How does the multiplayer work in Dominions? I've looked into these threads a couple of times in the past and it looks like you guys play by correspondence or something. Do games really last that long?

Play by email, yes. Games can last months because you're only playing a turn per day. Possibly less for lategame, when you're swinging around 80 mages who all do different shit and need to be in specialized formations.

There's also direct connect MP for shorter games, typically a bit shorter than a Civ game.

>tfw no insane inbred mermaid princess gf

I've been pretty happy about this yandere mermaids update so far

Is it possible ti adjust blessing effects during the game? Like, if you increase your gods magic levels and want to add stuff?

I see, thanks.

How are the correspondence games? It seems slow enough to feel more like a daily chore than a fun game, is the lategame worth it?

It seems that scales now affect the map, in a visual manner.

E.g. I'm running EA Ulm with Cold scales. As my dominion spreads the land slowly freezes and gets covered in snow. Do any of the other scales have any effect on the Map? Does death make the map look withered and grey? Does heat turn the map into a desert?

no

It's a decent pace, and it lets you be in several games at once, so if you're losing in one you're not just screwed.

Using the time available to you can be fun. Lategame can be a slog for some nations (don't pick MA Ermor), or radical for others (forge everything you've ever wanted as MA Ulm).

I don't think it'll be as universally amazing, so I don't think it'll be the type of spell that a nation is more or less defined around like it and thunder strike and similar spells have been in the past. I doubt it'll do enough at half fatigue to incapacitate elite troops that normally have respectable MR, but the attack and defense penalties from fatigue might be surprisingly beneficial, and it might be a determining factor in long battles, especially if the enemy is in an unfavorable climate, has natural high encumbrance, or you manage to inflict them with rain of stones or something similar (hard since that checks MR as well). I think it'll be a situational spell based on who you're fighting and what you have available.

Really, though, it's tough to say.

No, literally just cold.

How do the multiplayer games usually go? Is there a set end date or are there victory conditions? From what I've seen some nations are absolutely terrible from a certain point on, are those just not picked?

Some of them are set to end at a certain turn, and almost all /domg/ games have the standard victory conditions:

>Control enough thrones to ascend
or
>Be the last man standing
or
>Have opponents all concede

Most end by conceding or ascension.

As for nations, there's not a lot of them that just aren't picked. Even the shitty ones get picked because people want to pull off a win / innovative strat with them.

Anyone know the answer to this? None of the overlay map functions seem to enable it, would be a huge quality of life upgrade

>this game stays with the same dozen of autists and never grows.
Better than casualised and killed off.

I don't think there are really any nations that are so terrible they aren't capable of winning now that underwater nations have been buffed a little. Pretender design opens up a lot of potential strategies that can make even weak nations good, so unless you're Pelagia and you just can't push onto land and you're killed before you get a wish engine going, you can end up being a serious threat if you play well and get a little lucky.

Power levels also naturally just kind of balance themselves out with people being more likely to gang up on powerful nations and more likely to accept help from weaker ones knowing they're easier to stab in the back later.

Games generally don't end until someone wins.

haha ur just gonna have to calculate it then i guess. enjoy dominions 5

Llama still isn't accepting my turn or my pretender. What do I do?

retry ad nauseam. it will accept it at some point

That's Ulmish spunk, not snow.

is rlyeh good? Im new to the game but i always loved the mind-flayer look

Thanks again for answering my questions.
I was afraid it'd be like EU4 where if you play until lategame you get destroyed by countries with better attributes than yours.

What's the neatest strategy you've seen a "weak" nation pull off? Also if I were to play with a friend are there any nation combos that are fun?

MA rlyeh's not bad. LA is hell to play and EA sucks.

They have high access to Astral, one of the preeminent late-game spell-paths, recruitable mind-blasters, which are shitty in low numbers but when massed do excellent work, and an UW starting location, which is kind of a mixed bag but at least makes you annoying to invade. Stick with MA Rl'yeh, though. EA Rl'yeh has Aboleths which, although cool, only have two miscellaneous item slots and can't leave the ocean, while LA Rl'yeh kills population quickly and turns all non-Illithid commanders insane.

Awww lame. I want to see the world bend to my will as I spread my dominion, and not just when I decide to have cold scales.

CTRL-M shows the move points cost to every province I think?

Reposting since the thread is slowing down,

For people who want an EA game that doesn't have turn five cataclysm memery

I remember in the discord there was a hotkey for it I think it was ctrl-M with the commander selected.

redpill me on dom4 vs dom5

you can see the amazing messaging options that dom4 owners could only dream of in the OP

BE AGGRESSIVE