/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get Nintendo games
OR
>Where do I get PS3 games
OR
>Where do I get 3DS games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ETNiMHxu8xw
gpdxd.com/
reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/7dym93/is_there_a_technical_reason_that_a_recent_mame/dqgkx4k/?context=3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water
nyaa.si/view/976603
nyaa.si/view/976602
nyaa.si/view/976601
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

emulation is a meme

Is this still the best handheld for emulation?
Not a fan of gpd win.

youtube.com/watch?v=ETNiMHxu8xw

>Playing Super Mario on a poorly coded Nintendo 64 emulator
Almost 10 years later, and all of them are still poorly coded...

what is it?

What's gucci my cemu fucksticks?

>this scene was 10 years ago

FUCK

If it doesn't run Android then it's probably okay.

vita emulator when

Any time you aren't playing a video game you are already emulating one.

RPCS3

>Has there ever been high-res / high-poly addons for N64 emulators?
There are texture packs for many of the popular games.

I am a fan of the GPD Win.
Supposedly the 20hz controller polling rate was fixed with a software update, works at 125hz now like standard USB. Then you can just cover up the fucking stupid ungrounded miniHDMI with a dust cover.
All other gripes not fixed with revisions are fairly minor. Like this could have been done better, but it is good enough for now.
Still the best x86 handheld device. Which isn't saying much. Since it's pretty much the only one modern/strong enough to run anything.

GPD Win 2 looks nice. I'm happy with the definite changes. Such as outer analog sticks, active cooling, m3 7y30(2-3 times the power even at similar TDP), and an M2 slot for a proper tiny SSD.
But that's slated for mid-2018.

>Cxbx-Reloaded is an emulator for running Microsoft Xbox (and eventually, Chihiro) games on Microsoft Windows

Is this my only hope of playing Virtua Cop 3?

More like Bloodlord.

must SP pay for his crimes?

Tune in to rpcs3.net on december 1st :-)

INDEED HE MUST

A GPD XD.
gpdxd.com/

>inb4 "XD? Fuck Off"
Kill yourself.

It's called "RPCS3".
I'm having a Deja Vu now.
And I also had it yesterday.
And the day before that.
And practically the entire past week.
Seriously fuck you, you fucking retard.
You already know fucking perfectly the fucking answer, so stop fucking asking the exact same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Yes.

what's a vita?

life

>Floating dpad
Ouch. I'd sooner recommend a 3shitty controller, as much as that really, really hurts to say. And I could not stress that enough with English words. Floating dpads just such that fucking badly.
I've only used the F510 and F710 rather than that F310, but it's the same shit essentially.
Do not even bother trying that. Especially on a budget rather than a trash test.

I have shitty old android phone with single core 1Ghz cpu and 512 ram.
What emulators i can run on it? i guess i could run snes and gba, but what about ps1?
Also what emulators would work better on my phone: standalone or RetroArch? I have very small amount of Ram so i guess standalone is better because RA eats some memory too, right?

>snes
Only SNES9x based ones either based on really old versions or high frameskip.
>gba
Only the speedier gpSP based emulators. Any of the ones popular here, like mGBA and VBA, are out of the question.
>ps1
The graphic drivers might not even support GL or NEON based graphics at all. You're probably stuck with software ePSXe or FPse. Which is quite hit and miss for compatibility. And it might not even be fast enough even then without high frameskip.
>standalone or RetroArch
If any system requires frameskip, RetroArch is out of the question. Because it doesn't support anything of that sort, thank fuck.
RAM difference is negligible.
Old Android versions have fucking TERRIBLE latency, and new official versions have blocked framebuffer support (No screencapturing netflix!).
So if you're not rooted on a custom ROM then RetroArch will have a lot of trouble.
I would not recommend RA on that hardware simply because it is not strong enough.
Other emulators make up for it with high latencies (Especially audio) and frameskipping. Keep that in mind if you insist on using that hardware.

Actually correction. I'm pretty sure NEON is a software instruction set, like AVX. Sorry about that. But it probably requires newer system regardless.

It is, it's ARM's SIMD module.

My phone is philips xenium w732, the videochip is PowerVR SGX531. Android version is 4.0.3
I thought that i could do snes and gba without problems because i could run them pretty decently on my old super shitty symbian phone.

Does LoH Cold Steels 2 work on RPCS3?

Is that official google Android? Default phone provided? Rooted at all?
Thankfully for you, 4.0.3 has better compatibility with old Android programs. Better Dalvik support or something, instead of ART. So programs that worked 'good enough' back then should be 'good enough' now. If you feel like searching for older versions.
But I'll say it again, you're going to be dealing with latency and probably frameskip. It's arguably not worth using the device if you have any other options.

Symbians don't have Android latency or memory management.
And 'pretty decently' could even include whining cats wind in FF6 with 3x frameskip, depending on your memory or tolerance.
Most SNES emulator ports of the time were Snes9x 1.42(?) based. With terrible sound and extra hacks for speed. PSP and PalmOS still suffer from that, Symbian probably did too.

Got a question for you guys.

I'm trying to use combined joycons on Retroarch, but it only allows me to map a single joycon per player. Is there any way to map dual joycons into a single player? Thanks

If I want to update Breath of the Wild to 1.3.1, what do I need? Do I ONLY need the 1.3.1 update? or do I need previous ones too?

Updates are cumulative.

Any way to get specific game update versions with Wii U USB helper?
I hear Zelda 1.6.0 broke a bunch of things so I don't want to update to that if I can avoid it.

I assume not, so I'd need the raw files from somewhere else, right?

Does emulating n64 games ruin the visual experience? Should I just wait for a switch release for a more accurate version?

The authentic visual experience of N64 is like the authentic taste of Vaseline. It's not exactly something you WANT.

The only reason to wait for accuracy to take care of the shit is if the game is inherently broken on high level emulators. Like Pokemon Snap's framebuffer bullshit.

Just got done with Ultra Sun on citra, surprisingly smooth in most areas aside from a couple dips to 20fps. Been trying to see what other games I can run but I don't seem to have the entire archive. Anyone can spoonfeed me the Mii Data?
Also why is the 3ds scene so autistic

>The only reason to wait for accuracy to take care of the shit is if the game is inherently broken on high level emulators
So much this. Kind of sad, the current state of hardware renderers. Even I considered just playing Paper Mario on virtual console (on Wii). I might just bite the bullet and play on Angrylion's.

More accurate version looks worse.

You can get most effects working with the GLide plugin. That was 'good enough' for me like a decade ago. No seriously distracting garbage or game-breaking missing effects.
Well, with all framebuffer options on the slowest shit. Otherwise there's deadly flicker in the main town and garbage on the menu and some other transitions.
Angrylion's is probably overkill for Paper Mario at least.

Then again, Dolphin does fairly well with the VC version.
There is some graphical slowdown that happens on a real Wii but not real N64. It's nothing that slows the game down, if you have a strong enough computer. And probably fixable with overclocking. I haven't tried in years.

Eh. The HUD is better. But that's only due to broken bilinear scaling with surrounding pixels in its VRAM.

>There is some graphical slowdown that happens on a real Wii but not real N64.
Thanks for the info, that rules out Wii VC then.

Problem is that I am very picky. I don't want to see ugly glitches or have extra delay/slowdowns (like subscreen). I think I will probably wait a few months and see how much emulation has improved, before playing that game.

I told you to not post that disgusting fat elf

VC Wii real hardware maybe. But if you have the power to consider Angrylion's in the first place then you probably have the power for Dolphin, where its overclocking option might just fix it. Give that a try before just giving up.

Besides, since it's only graphical slowdown, and a turn based game with minimal timing, it's really no big deal.
My brother played fully through it that way, 100%ing the game. He said only pipe transitions caused any annoying slowdown at all.

PCSX2 progress report when

reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/7dym93/is_there_a_technical_reason_that_a_recent_mame/dqgkx4k/?context=3

>I want to do good for the scene. Tell me which one I should donate to

What happened to "none of these emulator makers are ever going to get a single cent from me"?

He needs to look good for the reddit crew.

SP wants to sell hardware now, and he thinks that small donations will buy him support of other projects, or turn a blind eye to license problems. For example, older versions of MAME are on non-comm license, but those are only versions fast enough for cheap ARM chipsets. He believes that 50-100$ will give him right to use them.
In other words, he wants to copy Tek Syndicate strategy. They gave him few bucks and they thought that will be enough.

I love how SP brings up "achievements" they did for M64p, when they've essentially abandoned Parallel RDP. One guy single-handedly outdid the entire RA team for RDP (the guy who did the MT fork of Angrylion). It just goes to show how little RA has contributed to the emulation community.

I downloaded retroarch(rearmed core, other don't work) and actually managed to get 57-60 fps in Vagrant Story in native resolution. I'm so fucking happy.
When i try hi-res i get only 30 fps. I wonder if i get such good fps in RA, will i get even better fps in Epsxe?

Hey guys. I have a question. Sorry if it's stupid.

Is PPSSPP the best way to play FFT? I'm interested in the verbose translation. I read there were some patches for it. What's the best way to play it?

>turn a blind eye to license problems
he could feel justified in violating licenses seeing as how everyone has already violated him.
he deserves the mooney.

I haven't tried the PSP version but I can confirm that the original translation on the PSX is utter garbage. Maybe there's a romhack for that though.

> For example, older versions of MAME are on non-comm license, but those are only versions fast enough for cheap ARM chipsets. He believes that 50-100$ will give him right to use them.

There is no intention of doing that at all. Lakka having preinstalled cores is not even something SP did but Kivutar. SP preferred the no-cores approach, Kivutar is against this since Retropie/Recalbox already have all this stuff preinstalled and nobody complained about that.

I already found a patch for a supposed slowdown. Gonna try it.

The main achievement there was porting a software renderer rasterizer to the GPU using compute shaders. Never been done before or since, and it's basically what MAME has talked all this time about doing but they don't have the talent or the GPU wizards to actually pull it off.

If endusers don't realize the significance of it and just look at the endproduct, that's their problem and their narrowmindedness. Nobody did LLE rendering on the GPU through compute before, people in the know that matter know how significant it is, including MooglyGuy BTW.

Does citra still run like shit?

Is water blue?

No.

where do I dl 3ds games from?

The wiki has that information

I dont know if Im blind or smth but the only thing that I found is pic rel

Not only are you blind, but you're also retarded.

Just write a letter to Nintendo in which you ask whether you'd be allowed to download from their servers with no compensation at all.

I guess you wont spoonfeed me

I will.

3DSISO

Retard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water

>3DSISO
Why would you put poison onto the spoon?

>Nobody did LLE rendering on the GPU through compute before
That is true. However, a bridge isn't of much use, if it is to never be completed.

If I spent months working on that project and quit, I wouldn't be boasting about this "achievement", since the goal was never met. What's the point of porting software RDP to GPU, if it's slower and less accurate?

I think it was a mistake for the creator to even start the project before fully understanding how the RDP worked.

Anyway, my point is that ParaLLEl will be hardly significant, until someone revives it and progresses far closer to actual completion.

On a side note, MAME devs are a joke. They take more credit than they deserve. I remember when Mooglyguy went crazy because he felt he wasn't getting the credit he "deserved" with Angrylion's RDP. When in reality, Angrylion is the one who actually did work. None of these MAME devs have done anything close to what Angrylion has done. Their work on N64 emulation is still largely irrelevant. I'm sure the same is true for many other systems.

More like ParalLEL, amirite?

>VC Wii real hardware maybe.
Yea, I just meant real hardware.

>But if you have the power to consider Angrylion's in the first place then you probably have the power for Dolphin, where its overclocking option might just fix it. Give that a try before just giving up.
I honestly hate Dolphin, but perhaps I can make an exception if the graphics look nicer than Angrylion's and the performance is good enough.

I even considered GLideN64, but I'm also not a very big fan of that plugin. Doesn't even do subscreen menu properly.

I guess it's time for me to do research on Dolphin for this game.

You are right about MAME at least. What they called 'MAME N64 code' was just Angrylion.

bump

So why doesn't Citra devs open a Patreon?

Some of the individual devs do.
They already have donation money sitting around doing nothing.
Most of them are college students/employed in programming jobs and aren't looking to make emulation a full time job / don't live in Russia where the meager donations would allow them to do it as a full time job.

It can't play anything yet, can it? About how long do you think it will take until it can run games like the Trails series?

It can play a few games, Catherine, Demon Souls, Persona (although with fps drops in some locations), and probably other that I've forgot.

I meant the Vita emulation part.

Aren't those on PC?

Ah

No

Not the EVO versions, as well as not the Japanese version of Ao.

Aren't there mods for the PC version of the Sky games that add the features of the EVO versions?

I'm playing Project Diva Extend using the PPSSPP core in Retroarch. Is there a way to add the 60 FPS cheat?

Those aren't complete and only work on the Steam versions. There aren't any mods for the Japanese language versions to my knowledge, which are the ones I want to play (because for some god damn reason the Steam version is English interface only). I'll just have to wait patiently until Vita emulation gets there, I guess.

>and only work on the Steam versions
Excuse me

nyaa.si/view/976603
nyaa.si/view/976602
nyaa.si/view/976601

That's the exact same English-only version just sold by GOG, user.

"(insert your CPU's model here) citra" on Youtube filtered by upload date. You're welcome.

>Japanese language versions to my knowledge, which are the ones I want to play (because for some god damn reason the Steam version is English interface only)
Unironically, kys.

Ah, so you didn't bother to read the description, alright.

I think you simply misread my previous post. I know that it adds voices.
>the Steam version is English interface only
Interface. Meaning the text in the game is not in the original language and this patch does nothing to change that.

What's wrong with the english translation

Don't argue with weebs.

A whole lot but this isn't the place to go into that. There isn't really any merit to reading a shoddy translation of something if you know the original language it was written in, is the point. If you don't and have no plans of picking it up, then enjoy yourself with the localized games.

People that have played the japanese version say that the translation is good, but alright. But can't you just buy a Vita and hack it? For all we know it's gonna take several years until we're able to emulate Vita games.

Anyone have issues with Lakka not showing as a share even with ssh and samba on? (on a Pi3)

That was a consideration at one point but then I realized there weren't really any other games on it that I was interested in. Well, there were, but they got PC and PS4 versions at this point so I'm not sure if the purchase is worth it. I'm not exactly in a hurry to play the games anyhow.

is this any good?

>.si

So my options for playing Time Crisis are either the arcade version in MAME, which is completely broken, or the visually disgusting, slow, inaccurate PS1 port. Hooray emulation.