youtube.com/watch?v=JQnk10GHSH0
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/state.html
youtu.be/Ix1dQ80VHxM?t=1m7s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yo

patreon.com/monstergirlisland

daily reminder.

poal.me/xyapjj

Where's that penguin in a ball rolling game dev dude?

Ubisoft just straight up ripped his game off.

youtu.be/0VQysq26ozE

I'm considering participating in Ludum Dare for the first time. Any tips? Do's and Don'ts? Is it even worth it?

Some simple tweaks you can make
Narrower shoulders
Narrower waist
Wider hips
Shorter face
Larger eyes
Bigger bangs
Smile c:

does this game have rape?

Nodev here, reporting in.

Oh boy new thread. 1st draft of a character for a side project Head movement still looks a little fucked on the transitions. gonna try to fix it in the next round

kek, thanks.

It's fun but be ready to work really hard with no breaks

Those are quite some child bearing hips

CUTE

go back to penguins

I wan to FUG the 3D model on the right

Shit, that synced perfectly with the song I was listening to.
youtube.com/watch?v=JQnk10GHSH0

Hey I've got a question regarding Unity.
FixedUpdate should be used for physics related stuff, right?
But I have a problem where the code doesn't really work there and needs to be in Update.

If I add deltaTime to my physics related calls, will it be fine?

no, it will not be fine, it will actually be worse since delta time in Update is different than the FixedUpdate delta time
there's literally no reason to not have your physics in FixedUpdate, so why do you feel you need it?

Time.fixedDeltaTime my dude

if you're doing something instant, like jumping for example, don't be afraid to put it in Update rather than FixedUpdate. A single burst of force shouldnt differ between the two.

I know the times are different, I wanted to know if I multiply/divide some numbers by deltatime, would they work as intended on any framerate.

Thanks, that should do the trick.

Why would your code not work in FixedUpdate but work in Update?

Added a transparent overlay to the whole scene, makes it all look a bit less sterile, no?

>using unity when godot 3.0 is like two weeks from release
????

Because I've got physics-based visual updates every frame there.

>using Photoshop when GIMP is free
??????????????????????????????

>if you're doing something instant, like jumping for example, don't be afraid to put it in Update rather than FixedUpdate

do NOT do this

>like two weeks from release
Come on user, you know that's not true. But I am hoping for a 3.0 Christmas miracle.

GIMP is trash though. Godot is actually good.

Okay nerds, if I make my dude move 10 meters per second, how do I make the animation look smooth in Update, while handling all the physics and collision in FixedUpdate?
Just makes no sense to me.

>he thinks his art quality depends on using photoshit over GIMP

>being a nodev for like two weeks
Godotfags, everyone.

You have the animation code in Update and the physics code in FixedUpdate.

Update() { animator.SetValue("velocity", rigidbody.velocity); }

FixedUpdate() { rigidbody.velocity = whatever }

How do I make a switch for inputs.
having if/else chain feels terrible.

Right.
Can I call something inside FixedUpdate from Update? Other than having gazillion of booleans and ifs for literally every thing.

??? what are you talking about mate, maybe you should just explain your problem so we can help instead of giving all these vague half rhetorical answers to yourself

You're using a color picker, you make changes and then click to open a different color picker without clicking OK, should your input from the first one be accepted or revert back to what it was before?

Revert.

If it's a complicated process however, like an entire screen of customization, it would help adding a warning saying 'changes have not been changed. do you want to continue?'

use a state machine gameprogrammingpatterns.com/state.html

I don't have a problem though, I was just concerned whether that will pose a problem in 2020 when 144Hz is the norm. And I got mixed answers.

But basically.
In my Update, I've got "if you press Space, call Jump();".
Then it calls Jump, which checks if jump can happen, and smoothly moves him X meters above the ground in an arc.

The problem is, if I change Update to FixedUpdate, the animation is visibly choppy every few frames.

maybe you need to turn interpolattion on in your rigidbody

I've got a character controller

wtf this thigh gap
face is cute though

is there any way to pull off a top-down 2d platformer without the perspective looking like ass? This is the only one I've played but it looks kinda wonky

youtu.be/Ix1dQ80VHxM?t=1m7s

Unity, right? You need to call all your Input.GetKeyDown(), Input.GetButtonDown(), etc from inside Update(), never FixedUpdate().

The state of Input is changed once per Update(). But there is a variable number of FixedUpdates per Update, sometimes multiple, sometimes 0. So if the input check is in FixedUpdate(), for every time you press the space bar to jump, you might call jump 0 times or multiple times. Google "unity input fixedupdate" for a more detailed answer.

I believe you can get away with using Input.GetKey() in FixedUpdate, since it's continuous rather than discrete input events.

There shouldn't be an "OK" button anyways. When you choose a color, you choose the color, that's all there is to it. You don't need to accept that you've changed the color you just changed.

right face is better, more anime
the rest is shit
is she giving birth?

give up on giving up
7 0 0 c o p i e s is not too many

i dont give up
even though i probably should

>tfw camera and interface interactions are starting to become a mess of code

surely this won't get worse

RESIST THE NODEVS

how do i stop ballgodots from bullying paddlegodot into inexistence

I don't know how godot works, but either set ball mass to 0 and/or reset the height of the baddle every frame (hack).

Why is there any physics in the first place

Paddle should be a KinematicBody

Help.

the textures come black.

Try adding a light.

What are you, a fucking racist?

Spyro on the gba sort of had that style I think, its a bit more isometric than top-down however.

Hey guys, I'm back :D

such was the tutorial, i could code it like i would in gamemaker without using any but i wanted to know the godot way
thanks. i can only set ball mass to 0.1 and not less (and paddle doesn't even have mass property), resetting position is probably good enough.
it actually is, and ball is rigidbody. i move paddle with move() and for ball i just set a velocity

Which game?

Hey! :o

I already did.

Switch to Unity

make the balls triggers, not colliders, and whenever they trigger a collision reverse the velocity, that way they never "collide" with anything in a physics sense

I'm sure guhdough just copied unity like it did for everything else, so it should be there somewhere

Added some kinda spike plate you can ride. You have to jump to avoid the spikes as well.

Are you using the Better Collada exporter?

>adds even more platforming
hahaha yes boku yes
TRIGGER THEM
TO DEATH

yes.

When I edit the material to switch the texture, It comes black.

> commission assets to promote a christmas sale because sales had slowed down considerably
> sales pick back up for the winter season
> assets are season specific, so if I don't use them I'd have to wait a year

Oh fuck me.

How can I make a context menu in a not retarded way? Every object that could have a context menu could implement an interface like IContextual but I don't like the idea of like:

interface IContextual { void Callback1(); void Callback2(); void Callback3(); }

as that's pretty ugly.

Looks nice.

IMGUI

Way too many things to manage: tweens, transitions, etc. for every object to draw its own IMGUI.

hey that's really cool

Nice.

cool

I've seen someday an user saying to avoid Mixels, you had to do a certain amount of zoom.

What's the formula? I'm bad at math.

I suppose 2 would be correct, but is 1.2 correct too?

Avoiding mixels is easy. Only scale up after everything is rendered, where nothing else knows about scaling (I guess except special cases like translating mouse coordinates to game coordinates).

And of course you scale by an integer amount if you want it to be crisp, but you can scale by non-integers with anti aliasing or a filter and still have it look acceptable.

>those updates
Goddamn if only I knew 3d modeling and programming. I'm just an idea guy stuck learning gamemaker.

Don't learn game maker unless you never wanna make any money.

For someone who uses Unity, when you're making a 2D top down game, how do you organize the maps? Do you have everything separated in one big scene and load in and out elements, or do you split up major areas in their own scenes? Which one is the more efficient solution? Does using more scenes increase file size and does using the one big scene approach increase loading size?

Use chunk system like memecraft. Only load visible chunks and their neighbors. Then load/unload chunks as necessary.

very much depends on how the levels work, is it one seamless map or discrete levels?

Discrete areas. Think an rpg like map. Walk to different rooms and areas.

Scene for each visible area. Divide areas that are too large into smaller ones.

reminder that games with mixels and rixels still sell anyway.
normal people won't even care about that shit.
Only autistics /agdg/ soyboy took the meme too seriously will fall for it.

Too large = causes performance issues on lowest end target hardware.

>tfw setting the ground work for animations and adding sound effects and music to my nodev console application game library

I'm really enjoying this even if it's simple shit that a retard could manage to do.

While I agree I have to say my game artstyle was really ugly like that

So this is the power of a thirld world PC and godot.

mmm

(I only have 300 bucks for a new PC)

Y-Y-You actually like this senpai?

>thanks. i can only set ball mass to 0.1 and not less
Is that a gui limitation or an engine thing? Try changing the balls' mass when you spawn them.

>300 bucks
thats like 1 piece of your pc, what the fuck user. Get a job and stop fucking around with game deving

Godot 3.1 will support OpenGL ES 2 again. Guess you'll have to wait til then.

a 10 year old laptop can support 3.3
how poor can one man be?