/scg/edg/ Star Citizen Elite Dangerous General #233

watching nice sunset with frens Edition
ED info:
pastebin.com/zEufftYe

Elite Dangerous v2.4 is online with improvements to base game and dlc content.
Frontier announced a new expansion called "Beyond" and will offer it for free to everyone who bought horizon.
Season three will focus on refining core gameplay and introducing new content.

Retaliation Trailer*
youtube.com/watch?v=38bHNSB4cDM
>Frontier Official YT
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos

*Not actual game footage

>Jump Point Links & Content Summary
pastebin.com/Cd9wQ9YB

>FAQs
pastebin.com/aQPMdGhi

>Star Citizen Official YT
youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA

>Other games:
pastebin.com/cugkem8w

Above is a pastebin of games you can play while waiting for SC and E:D to become playable.

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V7z6rV9jLuI
youtube.com/watch?v=LLR6NsCL4_A
robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16282-Results-Of-The-Animal-Naming-Contest
robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16269-Anniversary-Special-Sale-Page
kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/29/star-citizen-will-now-sell-you-virtual-land-that-you-cant-have
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for derek smort

second for Derek was right

if there were two guys on the moon and one of them killed the other with a rock would that be fucked up or what

>cultists will defend selling digital land

that would be fucked up desu

Except Delamar is 1,000 KM in diameter, thus meaning that there is perhaps up to 12.5 million square KM of explorable land on these three dinky moons. That is already 195,000 plots of 8x8 land, or $19,500,000 worth of claimable land on three fucking moons. The game is too large for whales to have the financial means to claim entire planets, as even claiming a single moon would be an astronomical investment.

>you can buy them with real money now
>or grind them after the game is out
>so no advantage
Fitting avatar, at least.

'Threadly' reminder that Star Citizen will have it's commercial release before Half Life 3 is announced

he's wrong that there is no advantage
but is the land claim thing really that confusing?

considering claiming land is going to be first come, first served, it's going to be a huge advantage to buy a claim stick now

There's a fucking advantage and it's this

The confusion comes from people (including CIG) spouting shit like, "you don't own the land, you're just buying security for the land".

The problem is there's functionally no difference. If you aren't allowed to build things in UEE space without a land claim, and if having a land claim give you permission to build on that land, and if having a land claim means that the police will come and stop other people from building on that land, then guess what? You own the fucking land.

especially once you also factor in the 10 claims per account thing, you'd have to own thousands of accounts to manage them all

>Unironically believes that every single fucking square inch of the moon will be up for grabs if at all (stanton is owned entirely by corporations, not the fucking UEE)

Nth for I bought a reclaimer and I'm beginning to realize that having a large ship is actually going to be quite cumbersome and I probably wont even be able to run cargo

What's the source on Delamar being 1k km?

Exactly. Even though there will be a race to claim the most lucrative land, there is absolutely no assurance that there isn't land more lucrative somewhere else out there. Certainly there is going to be far too much space for any cabal of groups to have a monopoly on all of the best spaces. I hate when a SC thread crops up on /v/ because we just end up with people who are here to deride the game no matter what.

They're not selling land. They're selling delayed npc intervention and crime penalties for people encroaching on that land. If I wanted to go to your base and mine out your resources, I could. I'd become even more of a criminal, like I care, and shoot down all military ships that come to stop me. It's retarded, really, but it's peace of mind for people who don't want their safe space fucked with. I'm not even sure why anyone would pay real money for something they're not going to use right away and can also be bought cheaply in the game.

>Literally making up random shit to fuel your rage
Land claims are bullshit, but getting carried away just delegitimizes the criticism and makes you look retarded.

I don't know where he got the numbers on Delamar (in fact, I'm pretty sure Delamar is smaller), but from what I've played of 3.0 and based on the HUD markers, Yela is at least 1000km in diameter. The point is that these moons are fuckhuge and no one is going to buy out an entire moon for a very long time.

From a CIG live stream last year. Chris says "This moon is about 1,000 Km in diameter". If you've played 3.0 you'd know that he isn't fucking around.

>Reclaimer used for cargo runs
Get the fuck outta here
youtube.com/watch?v=V7z6rV9jLuI
You fucking use the Reclaimer to find spare parts/weapons/other which you put inside whatever cargo space you have and the rest is dumped into the grinder turned into scrap metal which needs to be refined at a refinery at an outpost so it can actually be used for production

If you got stuck on grind, that's basically the entire game. It's a space sim wrapped in an economy simulator. People are mining and marketing goods. What else are you going to do with the money they throw at you?

So... A land claim allows me to build on a given 4x4km section of land, and if other people try to build on it or fuck with my shit there, the cops come.

How is that any different from me owning the land from a gameplay perspective?

You're a fucking plebbit and it shows, CIG aren't gonna enable fucks to fucking cover an entire fucking moon in shitty outposts, it's gonna be a select locations throughout the moon, maybe up to 400 plots on a moon the size of Yela or whatever the fuck they're all called
Either way YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

>criticizing CIG
>reddit
What?

>I have no argument, better call him a redditor and tell him to leave!

You are a cancer upon this general, Derek.

Not the point.

That guy is a fucking idiot. They explicitly said you have to stab your beacon, then race to a registration office. People cannot transfer ownership and people are only going to pay for valuable land. If a grey marketer is going to hold onto land, they'd be better off just mining the plot then selling the resources.

They ARE selling land you fucking lying cuck-sucker
THE DAMN THING EVEN SAYS LAND CLAIM YOU MOTHER. FUCKER!

ITS HAPPEBING!

Drake Starter Leak Confirmed!!!

>They explicitly said you have to stab your beacon, then race to a registration office.
???

the beacon is only for empire space. people seem to keep missing that you can literally build anywhere. beacons wouldn't have any use unless you're in empire space. the beacon is literally just a crime stat raiser for people who fuck with you. you can still fuck with everyone everywhere.

It better make this sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=LLR6NsCL4_A

Please explain to me how a land claim is functionally any different from owning land in UEE space.

just pointing out how useless the beacon will be and how near sighted some of you are. you're looking for an argument.

Reminder to ignore and report shitposters.

I get the purpose of a salvage ship user

But it has 360 CU of cargo space and thats not counting the salvage storage.

On top of that we don't actually know when salvaging will be implemented, so in the mean time I wouldnt mind running some aluminum

did I say there was no advantage?

No, but she is a French elf.

If I want to own desirable land on UEE bodies, then people who have bought a land claim now will be able to claim that land before I could conceivably earn the money to do so in-game. This is a permanent advantage that permanently removes units of a finite resource. No matter how small of an advantage it is, it's bullshit.

Why are you lying?? the moment you put down that fucking beacon and it does it's thing, the fucking piece of land is fucking yours and nothing is gonna fucking change that shit, it's literally fucking CIG shilling the Gold rush scheme for shekels

It's a claim to the land. Says it right there. As I said, it doesn't prevent people from entering and mining all of your shit. You can successfully drop a com array and mine without worrying about the beacon's mechanic. The beacon is just a security turret that can be circumvented. This is your land? No, it's mine.
See above, and you can literally build anywhere you want. The beacon is just a security measure.

The worst part is I can't tell if he is some /pol/tard Brazilian, or if he is a liberal shitposting in the guise of a /pol/tard. I don't know who is trolling who, but we all lose.

You are using reddit spacing user

you don't seem like a propaganda driver at all

But the guy isn't a "fucking idiot" he's right if anything, why would the whales pick a spot without nearby UEE law enforcement/military when it'll be readily available the first couple of days as all the non-whales will be doing whatever to get the funds to buy a land claim
You're a fucking tramp if anything

Rate major manufacturers from 1-10

No literally who companys or Xeno's

RSI 10/10 sexy struts named after a great man ahead of his time

MISC 7/10 space trucks with stolen xeno tech

Aegis 8/10 space lockheed Martin

Anvil 8/10 capitalist warmongers

Consolidated Outland 5/10 new kid on the block trying out exploration

Drake 1/10 made in space China nigger ships marketed for pirate scum

Origin 9/10 comfy jew ships for space whales

>make a one-trick-pony french elf race
>give them an unimaginative name
>they shoot bows, bow is arc in french, arc backwards is cra so clever
>pretend they're not eleves

No merely just concurring

>As I said, it doesn't prevent people from entering and mining all of your shit.
It doesn't prevent other people from using the land in your claim? Obviously they can physically do it, but if they try the police are going to come and shoot them. Obviously land claims don't stop piracy or crimes. No one is fucking claiming they will.

>This is your land? No, it's mine.
Great, you're a pirate. Not everyone wants to be a pirate.

>you can literally build anywhere you want except for land that's definitely "not owned" by other people

robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16282-Results-Of-The-Animal-Naming-Contest

By design? Anvil, Drake, Misc. Aegis, then literally who?

Saved for future reference

>Better project cause I'm out of ideas
>I rather say Reddit as a good little goy plebbit even if it gives away my dumbass
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

>angles, winglets and random struts everywhere
And yet another manufacturer loses its established design language.

>double down on the projection
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

>okay, 3.0 soon, maybe I should upgrade my ship from Aurora MR to less garbage Mustang Beta?
>"sale" without discounts
>ship price difference in upgrade menu is 15$, I need to pay over 18$, clear as day on same fucking screen
>and now they enter the new era of jewery by selling possible plots on procedurally generated planes of "wow it's fucking nothing on entire planet" for 61 bucks

Yeah okay, Chris. I'll spend that cash on popcorn instead.

starter discount is the last day of the sale

I hope CIG does not listen to you retards

It will be genuinely hilarious to see the dad rage and reddit on release, when all these people who paid thousands of dollars get their shit stolen in 5 minutes

I dunno goys...
We got the Aurora and mustang for starters
Aurora being the brick for the average joe and the Mustang for the would-be top gun fighter pilot
What's a drake starter gonna be like??

I haven't followed this at all (I've just randomly stumbled into this general because I've started playing E:D again) but given the scale of the game wouldn't the total available land area be virtually and effectively infinite?

If we take a single earth-like planet for instance you could create 9 million 16km^2 plots on it alone. Admittedly some plots might end up being more valuable than others.

robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16269-Anniversary-Special-Sale-Page

>no one is claiming they will
Then what are you arguing?
>pirate
I don't want to be a pirate, but I'm able to look at things from outside my personal perspective.
>ownership
Sure, that's the only benefit, and I see why it's a problem, but I've played games that have similar mechanics, and it's honestly not going to be an issue. Cig addressed common alarmist concerns AS they revealed the mechanic. One player can have ten claims. I don't think someone is going to pop another account, pay $50 for that and another $1000 just to out claim people. And that's the issue you're having. You're afraid that someone is going to take up all of the good land, on day one, and I just can't see how that's true. It's going to take time to explore and scan places. By then everyone will have the ability to buy a beacon. I mean beacons are only worth a small ship, some weapons, and a few insurance claims. Land claims are a real thing that can be done without spending any cash beyond buying the game.

In the entire game, sure, the land is functionally unlimited. Even on a medium moon, there's an absolute shitton of plots, to the point that no one would probably ever to claim all of them.

But, want a claim near an inhabited area, like Levski? Want a claim that's known to have some great resources? Want to be able to claim all around competitors on day one because you bought more claims than them? Well go right ahead, just $50.

Land is functionally infinite. Tactical and desirable land is finite.

>Plebbitian using plebbit spacing
>Calling others retards
Yeah checks out oh and get the fuck off this board and go back to where you came from, not our problem that the zealous mods over there shit the bed whenever you accidentally say something outside the group-think-tank doesn't "agree" to

No u

If land was so unlimited and cheap why would you need protection for it?

Out of all the arguments you could make, that's the one you go for? If you've build a warehouse on some land you claimed, then you put a bunch of shit in that warehouse, people are going to want to steal your shit. Rival orgs are going to want to shut you down. Having a claim would prevent them from encroaching on your land legally.

>inb4 durr why are you defending cig cultist cuck

Look at all of those You's

>someone wrote this

To protect the shit you built on it and your warehouses full of minerals you spent time and money mining.

>Starting off your blog with "ahahaha"
We should have bred autism out of the gene pool.

>Having a claim would prevent them from encroaching on your land legally
so it won't prevent piracy.good to know that this thing is overblown

Legally, sure. But if you're going to attack a factory or farm you're going to disable the comms array which disables all legal monitoring. It's more for not having someone build a base directly next to yours and shitting on you daily like they do in Rust.

I see what you mean. On the other hand it's not really surprising that they would try to milk these whales for what they're worth. Aren't they hemorrhaging money at an alarming pace? I have very little hope that this game is ever going to be finished, feels somehow even more desperate than expecting Frontier to ever make E:D somewhat fun to play.

That's not necessarily related, you might simply want to avoid grieffing. Everybody can buy a ship in E:D, doesn't mean they won't try to ruin yours.

I love it when you "anti redditors" show they know all about what's happening on reddit. Maybe it's you who needs to go back?

>plebbiti unironically want to use a fuck-huge ship that only exists for salvage
Fucking take the Orion out on some fucking cargo runs too now ye hear??

Where? on Veeky Forums? That can't have an editor on staff.

>On Veeky Forums
It actually looks like it was written as a /v/ shitpost too.

Thanks for stating the obvious, Defence Force.

Guess I'll just get myself another starter, because why wouldn't a paying customer want more of the same!

I want to like this game so much, because of its potential, but at every single step they show the worst possible qualities.

Their marketing is shady as fuck and this comes from a marketer that does gray area shady shit for living. They are pushing the boundaries because consumer protection is absolutely laughable in video game market and both their organic and PR damage control is so spot on, they can get away with murder.

Mark my words, the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" shitgobbling will eventually lead to Chris backing up on his word of shutting down the real-money ship sales. In-game ship prices will be set to 10x more cost-hour ratio than buying the ship for average real job money-hours. The feature creep won't stop because there is always more shit to add. Thus the game will be in perpetual development cycle, justifying the "you're just helping the game out by buying ships!".

And this is fucking frustrating, because I want this game to be good.

Why are you responding to shitposters? Report, ignore, and move on.

>getting pissy with people who were trying to help you out

If Star Citizen never gets made it's picture proof we are in the late stage gaming industry.

My border patrol fleet

kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/29/star-citizen-will-now-sell-you-virtual-land-that-you-cant-have
Strangely enough the earlier Kotaku UK articles about SC have been quite good

>Feature creep
Everyone always brings this up, but nobody can actually offer an examples of what is feature creep in this game in 2017.

>that you can't have
What?

Jesus guys, just report and move on. It's clear that there are just a couple of people who are responding to everything trying to shitpost. They're doing the classic respond to someone's response as though the original post was your own technique.

Kotaku hates the concept of private property and capitalism.

>Kotaku

Base building was explicitly stated by Chris Roberts himself (after the reveal of procedural planets, even), to be something they were only going to look at as part of a future expansion after the release of the game.

I've defended procedural planets. I still will. But I can't defend the Pioneer and base-building. I don't have a problem with those mechanics being in the game, but they're definitely feature creep.

fuck off with this shit

How so? Plenty of hyper-hyped games have failed before.

I have very little hope that SC will ever deliver (at least not to the level people are expecting). If anything it'll fail for the same reason as so many other "space sandbox" games have in the past: it will filled with billions of mechanics, none of which will have any depth or lead to interesting and challenging situations.

Best case scenario this will be the next Elite:Dangerous, people will complain that the game is boring and lacks interesting content, the devs will release new content more and more sparsely as the cash flow dwindles and eventually you'll be left with your memories of an okay game "that could've been so much more".

Oh, for sure. But how much impact do you think it has on development? So the merchantman is delayed further so they can pump out a pioneer. Big loss. Prefabs were already worked on because random bases. We can just place them now.

>I love it when you "anti redditors" show they know all about what's happening on reddit.
Some autist explained the reddit spacing thing over in /vr/ about a week ago and to no one's surprise it was something about whitespace handling during posting you'd have to be full-blown reddit cancer to know.

My faith was gone years ago when they first announced they'd be using the Cry engine. At least Frontier made a suitable engine and got the game out the door in reasonable time.

>But how much impact do you think it has on development?
I'm not interested in having that discussion, because no one here can give a useful opinion on it. Not even CIG, since they definitely haven't even started implementing the actual mechanics associated with basebuilding.

But it *is* feature creep, pure and simple. It *will* slow development, however little, for something that was *explicitly confirmed* to not be something they were going to work on until after release.

>quoting the wrong post

Honestly, this is it. Land ownership was never mentioned. In the past people thought feature creep was just anything that they didn't pledge for. They thought it'd be halo and flying space ships. What's the economy and crime system that they've mentioned since the beginning of development?