/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Crayons edition
Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (updated for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168411.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha released for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

first for ASCII tilesets

This game is terrible. This was a Kickstarter game long before Kickstarter existed. People only like it for the idea of the game - most people don't even play it due to terrible controls that have been a problem for a decade. It's cringey fanbase conflates bugs with lore, with most stories all about dated 10-year-old gameplay of drunken cats and killing giants with bunnies that would make even TVTropes cringe. The long delays between updates shows the incompetence of the developer - high-priority bugs like telling your soldiers how to dress properly could have been solved by any semi-competent developer but the dev instead chooses to add things like more dialogue options that could have been added in mere minutes by even a beginning programmer - a task which took Toady almost a decade.

It's just like Minecraft or Overgrowth or Cube World: once it leaves alpha everyone will realize how shit it truly is. Of course Toady is clever enough to make sure that day never truly comes and that he gets a steady paycheck until the end of time. You never liked Dwarf Fortress, only the idea of what it could be.

Third for gobbos.

fourth for rotten pasta

homos being butcherable when

>the 130+ visitors are destroying my FPS
>decide to genocide them
>while militia trains, FPS still falling like a rock
>decide to just go for it
>battle leaves most of the visitors but all of my 30 dwarf fort dead
Is there anyway to turn them off? Visitor limit seems to have no impact and my computer just can't fucking take it.

>No idea why I waste so much time on this.
It's better than wasting just as much time on the blocky mess that I call a fort.

Always, steers can be queers too.

I built a drowning room just for them before turning off visitors.

I posted a pic of my drowning pit in the last thread. It worked pretty effectively. The room was a tavern outside (to act as a meatshield and so my dwarfs wouldn’t go to it) and they all drowned marvelously. Now I can melt their arms, and dump their corpses in my magma pit

The spies ignore visitor caps

Nice b8 m8 are you bored yet?

>Wouldn't they go extinct in worldgen or something? I don't know how this shit works.
That's something that's been bothering me since 2010. With abstract populations it seems like every race just gets free people out of nowhere instead of everyone being descended from the founders of the civilization with an actual history of how they got to be where they are. Of course animal people didn't really exist back then, but the principal is the same.

Just got a polar bear man in my fortress! Hopefully I can find a polar bear woman and breed a polar bear person squad for steel clad carnage on some puny goblins and elves

The worst was (is? no one is doing research these days) civilization sites having infinite population when visited in adventure mode. I've tried to genocide an entire human hamlet, only to see villagers spawn over and over in buildings even though I've checked in legends dump that it had less than a hundred souls.

Turns out killing on-site people did not (does not?) substract them from site pop.

Well, it's good to see people find my fortresses not boring. I started playing back in 09. All my fortresses were boring 1 zlevel squares for years, then I started to question the practicality and realism in the idea of making giant square rooms without pillars and began adding them in all large rooms, and making everything a bit more compact. Then I started to design fortresses in a way that real people would actually design a place they'd live in and they started to look more interesting.

Here's the big garden surrounded by rooms again again, maybe it'll inspire someone.

nth for CLA being best of both worlds

if 7 he's asexual

Ho, motherfucker.

just generated a world where the only dwarven civ's "civilized pop list" looks like this:
>14 humans
>2 elves
>1 goblin
>(0 dwarves)
I guess it's too much to hope that anything other than a newly generated dwarf will appear as a regular migrant, right?

If I build it will it kill everything?

take this for next time you shitpost

It's the newest version, but an old save, which I hear causes...problems.

he's 50% right though

Random name generation is fun

n+1th for Ironhand being the way the game meant to be played™

I doubt that was randomly generated.

Probably. Furthermore, you'll probably get as many insta-dwarfs migrants as your pop cap will allow. I tried making a fortress in a similar world in 42.02 and that's what happened. Please do report back if you decide to try.

You are somewhat correct. But I still enjoy dwarf fortress.

It was, actually. I'm bad at naming things in general, so I sometimes just keep pressing r to see if I find one that I like.
Believe what you will, though.

it may have been sincere the first time, but it became shitposting when he started spamming it in every thread

I'm in desperate need of wood (mood) and there's none above on this glacier. Caravans are away and they've already carved up all their stocks.
I have 10 shroom-trees designated for cutting at max priority with woodcutter having all jobs disabled except for wood cutting.
He's standing around with no job and occasionally dumps something but he won't go cut the damned shrooms!
Yes, he can reach them, people are carrying silk and collecting plants down there, nothing's stopping them so nothing is stopping him.
I understand that pathing and job prioritizing is completely bonkers especially since first layer cavern ended up eighty-something levels below surface but there must be *something* I can do!

I'm out of ideas at this point.
Halp.

>shitposting can't be sincere
oh boy

Make a tunnel and collapse the trees.

man, FUCK graphical tilelets

Disable all Hauling / Other Jobs, make sure your military doesn't have all your battleaxes, (q) (x) deconstruct your Wagon if you haven't already for 3 logs,

they are annoying when people pretend they can just post screenshots of their game with a strange tileset enabled and expect us to understand whats going on, but nobody actually did that in this thread yet

they are annoying when people pretend they can just post screenshots of their game with strage ascii characters enabled and expect us to understand whats going on, it's too bad this thread has been nothing but that kind of shitposting

I'm going to start recreating this fort for this version, I'm thinking of making it smaller and more interconnected, any tips?

yeah, I've been down this road before. I think there's a sweet spot where if your civ is mostly-dead but has 15+ living historical figures, those guys will show up, and then no more. but in the vast majority of situations you have either hundreds of potential migrants or 0 and they're all generated

will probably play anyway since it looks like a neat world, but I'm thinking of capping my pop extremely low to simulate the effect

are you referring to the text contents of posts

I love how this looks. Looks like it was designed to be traversed in adventure mode. Something you'd actually see in a RPG.

man, FUCK non-square tilesets

they are annoying when people pretend they can just post screenshots of their game with a strange non-square tileset enabled and expect us to understand whats going on, but nobody actually did that in this thread yet

I don't like the way it looks. It doesn't look like a "fort".

Man, fuck drooling retards who lack the basic decency to be original when they shitpost.

Yes, that the point, is a fucking cave, Urist

Just tried that - no success. Tower-cap remains supported by its cap that's overhanging some cavern wall.
In fact under further inspection all of them overlap each other or some cavern wall. There's no way this is going to work without demolishing half the cavern.

>deconstruct your Wagon
It ended up in a volcano (landed on cliff down into the volcano, consequently didn't spawn)

>make sure your military doesn't have all your battleaxes
It appears they do, why would a woodcutter ever get rid of his axe? That's like a hunter misplacing his crossbow...
Regardless, I hope switching off the alert will free the axe.

how about making goblins into huge faggots?
they've got the whole immortality thing already going for them, it'd help reduce their often oversized population

You have serious brain problems if you look at for example sprite of barrel or dog or dwarf with a pick and can't tell what is it.

You might need to go into the military equipment screen to make sure that your soldiers aren't calling dibs on all the axes.

I went on a killing spree just for you user

After worldgen there were 116 humans in the world, 52 in the hamlet I chose as a target.

I killed 27 people there.

Now there are 77 humans in the world, 19 in the hamlet I raided. The numbers don't match up exactly, but that could be due to deaths and migration in the two-week wait period when starting a new adventurer. So it seems to be working now.

I have 40 dorfs and no military

what do

you have about 5 seconds to get everyone the FUCK away from it, and to make sure there's a bunch of animals to distract it
and next time don't wait so long to start a military. usually 3 of my first 10 dwarves become soldiers right away. even half-trained dudes with shields/spears and nothing else will go a hell of a long way to defeating werebeasts

sure, they're not all bad, but if you're using ASCII, anyone who's played the game for a while will be able to quickly tell what's what without having to stare at a tiny-ass overly stylised and detailed sprite

it's like using pictograms to write a post instead of the roman alphabet - sure, it's easier to understand for someone who's never learned to read, but anyone who already did probably won't appreciate it

get your dorfs inside and try to seal them in somehow (maybe even build a wall, you can just tear it down later)
you just have to wait out the attack

That finally did it.

Anyway. I found a bug.
If you channel out under a shroom (maybe also a tree? probably not due to roots) so that it's not supported from below, and instead only by its overhanging cap, and then cut it down it:
a) does not produce any logs or anything, it just disappears into thin air.
b) in its disappearing act it leaves behind ramps hanging mid-air (pictured).

Since this new update causes visitors to flood the fortress, I have two bridges in my main hallway. The first one blocks the entrance, and the second blocks my entire fort EXCEPT the tavern, which is full of elven scum.

for this purpose, when something arrives, I get my dwarves inside, put the first gate up, and when all are secured, put second gate up and lower the first.

Beast / seige enters tavern and the visitors fight for their lives.

as the guy who made that pic, I'd like to withdraw japa and AV from it now that they've gone to shit.

have you reported it?

Time stopping magic is going to be fun

>stop time
>go to sleep

If I had time powers I'd only use it to sleep

we already have that, just redirect a river at 150 pop

But user, what about girls

They can't say no if time doesn't move

What was 2D Dwarf Fortress like?

Well, some good news and some bad news. The good news, the Werepanda ended up massacring everyone in my trade depot, meaning I basically robbed an Elven caravan without having to go to war. The bad news, he also got my broker and a random kitten.

Will he attack again? I set up cage traps all over the entrance of my fort, my plan is to set my dogs there, then the next time he shows up, get rid of the door at my entrance so he'll come barreling into them. I'm sure I can do something fun with a Werebear.

Thank you man, now I can do world conquests in peace.

One of the most fun times I had with DF was gathering armies to fight megabeasts, lord fortresses and other adventurer armies back in 0.31 (even though you had to cheat to retire your adventurer)

No, I was scouring the bt to see if it's already known.
It's not.

I'll try to replicate it now.

Also I am completely lost in this bt interface, almost as bad as DF's.
Still can't figure out how to submit a report.

traps don't work on werebeasts

he probably will attack again

That takes the challenge, and therefore the fun out of it. If I wanted to fuck something that just served as a hole I'd do what I already do and rape my hand.

I'm almost afraid to ask why your hand has a hole in it

You're strange, but I respect your opinion. Still, time stop magic would be extremely useful, OP really, assuming it has no limitations.

How does one view the raws of generated creatures?

Well fuck.

I guess it's time to set up a suicide squad with all the wooden gear I got from the elves.

Honestly they might be able to do more damage with their own hands

It's NOT replicable.
So I'm not reporting it.

I'll just have some ramps hanging in mid-air then.
Main feature of the fortress, huh.

Get it? Not a bug, a feature *wink wink*

I haven't played adventure mode for a long time, and now you can actually make stuff as adventurer, neat.

But why is it very specific on which bones are allowed to be carved and which are not? I've killed and butchered a cyclops right now, but I couldn't select his bones. Then I butchered some skeletons lying around, and only one produced ''eligible'' bones that I can select for bone carving.

More like it's a bug that has one or two more steps than you thought to replicate it, and you just don't remember everything you did
:^)

With or without the economy? The economy was madness.
But the maps were predictable to a degree, but in a good way. The rivers, magma flows, and chasms all had predictable behavior, but unique mechanics, and the monster spawns were a little more varied.
It remains obvious that ballistae and catapults were designed for the 2D fortress mode, as well as a couple other things.

Does anyone else wish you could forge "boulders" to load your stonefall traps with? I would love nothing more than to drop an enormous ball of lead directly onto a troll's skull.

It's a bug that cannot be fixed. We're stuck with it

you don't need a huge team. surely you have 3-4 metal weapons lying around, even just (copper axe)s that migrants with the woodcutting labour brought? just disable that labour, stick someone strong in a squad, give them an axe and a wooden shield. build an armour stand or weapon rack literally anywhere, ideally just outside your entrance, set the squad as active, and [q]->[t] on the barracks furniture to get them to train there. even if it's 2-3 guys it's going to make a big difference - if you get them training right away
you can always reorganise them into something fancier and better-equipped later, but having absolutely no military is kind of asking for it

Nvm, fixed it you have to remove the bone stack from your backpack, mangled bones still don't work

So an update on the demons who refuse to crawl up the spire and into my fort.

I built stairs down to them, and as soon as the unfortunate miner was in reach, the demons attacked him, breathed fire at him, and just murdered the fuck out of him and his pet alpaca.

I figured they'd come up after that, but they stuck around. Another miner came down to dig more staircases and ended up suffering the same fate, though he performed an action that was referred to as "batting (extract) out of the air", which I didn't know you could do. Not that deadly spittle ever seems to matter much.

But yeah the demons just seem content to stay down there and only attack if I try and wander down to fuck with them.

I guess I'll have to copy the save and retire the fortress on that note. The demons were not interested in the contest I wanted to have with them, and I can't build down to them without the laborers being incinerated and beaten to a burning pulp.

How anticlimactic.

I had the same problem in a recent fort. Assumed it was a one-off glitch but it might be a new bug then.

I know it's a bug, but probably tied to things like exact mushroom height, spider webs on top of it etc. I cannot replicate it and I also cannot report it because BT interface is too difficult to understand.

I miss the economy. Even though as a whole the game has moved forward, things that were turned off or broken along the way bother me.

They might, but I'm not taking chances. a small militia was formed, outfitted with miss-matching wooden, leather and copper gear. No more dwarven blood shall be spilled by this beast (unless there's a caravan in my depot I want robbed).
In most of my forts I've never needed a military this early, desu I usually just wait until I have at least iron gear I can outfit some guys with.

I guess if you generate a lot of dead worlds or embark far from civilization you wouldn't get werebeasts, but they're pretty standard fare. in fact they usually attack long before you hit 40 pop

distances don't matter with them. all beasts will attack you regardless of how far away their lairs are. map travel only applies to armies in fort mode.

>nothing new to replace runesmith
I just want to enjoy a nice and easy fort

Spring has arrived! Let's hope it brings a wave of goblin invaders and elf ambushers. My trapline has already claimed a few wild animals, but I want to see it achieve a much greater loss of life.

What happens if you raid your own civ aside from dwarf siege? Do merchants and immigrants stop coming?

And right on cue the elves showed up riding moose and bringing war grizzlies with them. The traps cut them to pieces, plus or minus a few that were handled by proactive citizens and the wrestlers. Saw a buzzsaw break in the combat logs....I guess that's what you get when you spam copper buzzsaws.

Finals never

I may have gotten slightly too comfortable ignoring "damp stone located" warnings

I still make coins specifically for the economy in the hopes it will at some point return.

I just imagine that the dorfs do commerce among themselves with the coins I made in the meantime.

I've not had to make traps yet, save from ten cage traps I have near the entrance of the fort to capture slaves for use in my arena.

In return, I have fifty military dwarves, thirty-one of which are lords. Goblins just get butchered by hammer, axe, and sword before they even have enough time to move.