Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/godotengine/godot/pull/13354
strawpoll.me/14512800
stackoverflow.com/questions/137975/what-is-so-bad-about-singletons
godotengine.org/article/enjin-coin-supports-godot-and-announces-upcoming-module
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fucking retarded OP pic.
Delete this shit please.

Whoops - posted at the end of dead thread.

Built a "toolbelt" today - essentially functions as a VR hotbar. You can grab and stow weapons in their respective slots.

Drop your gun off a cliff or throw it somewhere you can't reach it? Just grab and hold for a second or so and it'll teleport your weapon back to your hand. Not only is this handy for instances where physics isn't your friend and your weapon goes into orbit, but for throwable melee weapons too.

shoot yourself in the head

What's a good way to have a state machine affect properties of the object it's controlling without exposing all of those properties to the outside world? I'm writing a camera controller and things like pitch and yaw need to be affected by every state but I certainly don't want any other object to be able to set the pitch and yaw.

rotate is looking real fucking good
would kiss and have sex with

Is this enough to gamedev?

yes

Wannabegamedev here
I worked with unity in a couple of college classes and know the basics.
I'd like to make a game.
Why should I use Godot instead?

Fuck you rotate is my waifu, she's so cute!! I just want to dress her and show her off to everyone

please stop engine wars in this thread. just download godot and try it out.

>7164868▶
>Fucking retarded OP pic.
>Delete this shit please.
this, someone please delete

now you need one for BASIC

We literally finally get a rotate thread? and you want to delete it wtf?

Why don't you just choose an engine and make a game?
You know it takes all of 1 minute to download and open Godot.

>▶

mental illness

less bloat.
free
no splash screen.
actually a proper 2D renderer separated from 3D
less bloat
works on linux.
30 MB download
open source
no spyware
not features not included, pls buy the asset store pack
comfy comunity

Imagine if your life revolved around obsessing over devs on /agdg/ like this guy.

It was actually a serious question... Just want to know why people like Godot so much

That's what I'm trying to do

So it's like the Linux of game engines?

I'll need to grab it tomorrow then

Or like (you)? Where's your game user?

more like the blender of game engines or the GIMP if GIMP had a 7.5k patreon and two developers working on it full time.

Is already the best 2D engine right now.

>/pol/ Amerimutt's and gross mentally ill soyboys
AGDG everybody.

>actually a proper 2D renderer separated from 3D

what does this mean? 2d isn't 3d accelerated? that's retarded

a proper 2D renderer that isn't a fake 3D renderer with a fixed camera.

aka LESS BLOAT.

3d acceleration is my favorite meme

What screencapture software do you guys use? Fraps is shit

OBS + Webm for Retards

what does that mean? all 2d games have been 3d accelerated with a fixed camera for the last 15+ years

>all games have mixels in unity therefore there's not purpose for a 2D renderer
>pls buy our pixel art renderer on the asset store like a good soyim

Super excited to start texturing my main character tomorrow! Then I'll rig and animate him. This should be fun.

The fuck does "3D accelerated" even mean?

>user's final words before the depression kicked in

I believe it refers to layering.

army selection is working. Paradox will tremble before my power and their monopoly will soon be broken

"classic" 2D is done with blitting, where you copy memory to video memory

2D since like Diablo 2 is "hardware accelerated" using the GPU by using quads with an orthographic projection

puttering at this op image

He probably means a separate 2D pipeline.

>I'm too stupid to setup an orthographic projection
>better switch engines that holds my hand!

classic millennial, incapable of doing anything right and being a disappointment to everyone

YES

I have a province map complete for a Warcraft overhaul that I had to scrap since Kalimdor alone was like 900 provinces and CK2 would have croaked if I would have tried any higher, not to mention it was impossible to debug random errors.

If you can make this - make it open source and try to make it very memory efficient I will mod the hell out of this and back to try to make my dream GSG playable.

>a renderer that operates on tiles and sprites, handles pixel perfection if desired, and only uses the GPU as a back end to quickly draw textured quads is the same thing as a fully featured 3D renderer with an orthographic camera

ortographic cameras in unity still renders pixel art as if it were a 3D texture, blurry and looks like garbage.

Even AAA devs can't solve this because FF octopath also suffers from this.

grand strategy warcraft game would be pretty neat. I'll be working on this game for the foreseeable future though,but once it's finished that might be fun to make

In Lua

What's the fastest way to compare a table against itself, and flag any duplicate entries?

Like if 2 strings are the same, append both with -1 and -2

github.com/godotengine/godot/pull/13354

Unity BTFO.

It works like shit.

>2,341 open issues
nice uh, "engine", you've got there

>uses unity default splash screen like a good cuck
>pays 50% of your income to unreal like a good soy for a 2D pong game (300 MB).

>too retarded to understand orthographic projections
>blame Unity

i hope this game has rape bad ends

I guess Square Enixs devs are retarded as well because FF octopath also has this problem with blurry sprites.

>he thinks unity ortho camera can render perfect pixel art

IMPORTANT POOL!!!!!
strawpoll.me/14512800

Sure, you can turn off anti aliasing but there are still artifacts. Look at the floating boxes.

>2d objects in a 3d world
>wow why does depth affect texture sampling

jesus christ you are braindead

>2D renderers (simple texture bit fliping to OpenGL) is the same as 3D renderers (Quads textured with some kind of perspective projection)
>calls others retarded
wow, I didn't knew that SDL and OpenGL were the same shit.

Maybe you should try to use anything more barebones than unity and unreal, retard.

Got home from work and took a nap, woke up refreshed and ready to dev.

Added hitboxes, animations for punch, jab, flinch, and die, animation triggered events, implemented a hacky workaround for the attack ranges and damage that get passed to the characters during said events, and a rudimentary color picker.

Next is to add some health bars and internet co-op support.

yo WTF that shit's violent af

>blitting
>opengl

are you fucking joking? lmfao kiddo you don't know anything about anything, just stop talking to me please

>A simple 2D renderer is the same AS BLOAT 3D unity shit designed for 3D games
>C is the same as Java because both are languages to make programs and both are translated to machine code in the end

>moving the goalposts

a "2d renderer" uses everything a 3d renderer does you fucking dolt, stop acting retarded

Can you share them?

>simple texture bit fliping to OpenGL

I unironically want enginefags to be murdered in their sleep so /agdg/ threads can be about shit other than Bokudev and engine preference.

>less bloat is the same as more BLOAT designed for a diferent purpose
wow

they're easy to find on google.

Thanks for the input! The violence in that webm is still under development and not indicative of final gameplay.

t. Mark Etting

programming a 2d pixel engine with real time global illumination and vr capability

TCG dev here. Wanted to post my progress before heading to bed.

About to finish up a CLI tool I wrote to make designing cards easier. Just throw art at it, and what you want printed on the card, and it'll spit out a card in this format. Not pretty, but I have an artist friend who could help with that.

After this comes nailing down the core ruleset, and brainstorming card ideas with another friend of mine.

Finally finished unwrapping it. Time for the fun of texturing.

I read this right before the first punch and literally loled out loud

Wow Gamemakers tile manager is the worst shit ever. you can't even copy and past. people who tile in gamemaker, what alternatives do you use? i hear there's a gamemaker importer for tiled maps.

haha omfg epic dude no wai XD

>the same exact process except with an orthographic projection instead of a perspective projection
>bloat

oh am I laffin

Speaking of tile maps, would it be possible to store tilemaps in an image and then just look at the pixels to determine which tile goes where?

That's the reason I'm into game dev, I want to broke paradox knees.
If you make it I'll suck your dick or buy/donate to you, whatever you choose.
Keep going!

yes absolutely but that would take too much scripting to set up. the're already scripts/programs that read/convert files created in tiling programs. I want to find a good one for gamemaker studio.

stackoverflow.com/questions/137975/what-is-so-bad-about-singletons

I'm so confused why people hate singletons. Some runtime information obviously only needs to exist once and has critical importance to everything in the application :?

just nodevs trying to convince yesdevs to halt their progress, nothing more

>Some runtime information obviously only needs to exist once
Then only create it once. Singletons are designed to enforce single creation, which is rarely if ever necessary.

>and has critical importance to everything in the application
This is a red flag for bad design. Global constants are fine, but global mutable state is not.

Singletons are weird.
>this thing should only exist once but it should also be accessible any number of times anywhere in the program

typical nodev, where's your game?

I was hoping someone could help me out

I've never made a game or really coded before, although I used to make pretty good scripts for a bot in an online game. I enjoyed finding ways to do things that no other script did by using whatever limited functions the bot had. Still pretty basic stuff, though. I miss that kind of thing so I thought I'd try to make some games.

I downloaded Unity and it seems good, though I take a white to learn interfaces. But I see here people are shilling Godot. Is it worth dropping my Unity game (I'm still very very early in it, just did some tutorials and did a few things for my game).

My biggest concern is finding enough tutorials out there for what I want to do. I'm looking to make a pvp top down 2D arena game, but I'd also like there to be different floors on the Z axis. Can anyone recommend if I should use Unity/Unreal/Godot/libgdx or whatever?

Sure, but it's likely not going to be easier than using e.g. the TMX format and it is far more limiting.

AGDG is not your safe space from programming criticism.

so I'm correct, you're a nodev trying to misguide a yesdev from making progress

kys

Make objects on a separate Z-level invisible and inactive until the player transitions to it, maybe by changing their level with stairs or something?

Basically, look at the way Factorio does surfaces.

pools never lie

Where's YOUR game?

>make a lootbox game where the worst loot has a higher chance of spawning the the bottom most box

>projecting

yeah I thought about doing it with layers, there are instances though where the player should be able to see the level that is below him, assuming there is no ground covering it.
I'm nowhere near that point, though. I'm just scared I'll get other stuff done and then find out I have to change to a 3D project to make that type of thing work
Likewise, I'm worried about putting a ton of time into learning Unity only to find out that I'm getting turbojewed by their asset store, or starting with Godot only to find out that I can't find information to help a noob like me make what I need to make

Getting the controls sorted out for the flying battle parts of the game, trying to get a starfox feel to it.

Nothing wrong with trying to make it work in 2D. Even BotW was prototyped on a 2D engine after all.

Alright, let's talk about character progression for a second.

Is it better to have a "level up" system in a game or is it not? Like say for an open action game with RPG elements you have a scoring system much like Metal Gear Solid or something except it gives you experience points or something...

I mean I don't like the idea of the game telling what the player their skills are, and when I think of this kind of system I'm thinking of the new AC game: Origins, where the player is leveled and so are the enemies and if you match yourself with enemies at levels higher than you then you're fucked... I mean do people want this? Did Dark Souls have it?

I could have it just so that depending on how you do on missions (your rank) you get an associated amount of XP and maybe some other rewards but does that really give the player "progression"?

I don't know. What do you think?

How did you deal with the issue of dividing up the map into provinces?

cool thanks
do you have any opinions on unity vs unreal vs godot vs libgdx?

Hard to say. I'm in the same boat as you, and I try to avoid memeing about engines.

you need some nice juicy anime clouds in the background

if it's a single player game, moving through the story and getting new unlocks should be enough progression, especially if you get new weapons or abilities or whatever as time goes on. I also like it when you are able to look forward to unlocking something awesome, so you can work towards it.

If it's an open world game then I don't mind the idea of different leveled enemies along with an exp system for you, I suppose.

Not that guy, but Godot's starting steadily to show more promise, though a recent update mentions something about supporting cryptocurrency, which might lead to some shady shit

godotengine.org/article/enjin-coin-supports-godot-and-announces-upcoming-module

Sometimes I feel like this anime girl when I want to gamedev.

heroic wizard swarmed by density test. Cluster traps not strong enough D: