/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Medical History Edition

Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (updated for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168411.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha released for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12737
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for combating problematic trans-erasure

Second for on topic posts

reminder that armok is a god of peace and if you dont worship him then he will be forced to kill you

fourth for removing furfags: dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12737

Newbie question.

What's the best way to deal with Werebeasts?

My forts are doing fine until one of these fuckers turns up and infects half of my dwarfs with that fucking virus.

Disable them from the get go with advanced world generation parameters. I like to take out bogeymen too for adv mode.

Nah, that's no fun.

>getting comfy in new fort
>An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!
Guess we're still at war. They probably weren't happy about all that clearcutting I did at the start of this fort anyways.

Alright, well another good way is to have air lock doors that you can pause the game and lock the werebeast in when he comes to your fort. Then you could pull a lever and drop magma or something on him.

why am I forced to choose "male" or "female" when creating my adventurer? what the fuck? I seriously thought Toady was better than this but I guess i'll have to boycott this game

Some migrants have arrived.

>keep a group of animals outside your entrance
ideally including a couple war dogs. put all migrants' pets there, even if they're not grazers, unless you REALLY want their eggs/wool
>keep most of your dudes underground
>set up a civilian alert linked to a burrow that keeps them underground
(check the wiki)
>be prepared to wall off your entrance from the inside
or set up a bridge as a gate so you can wall off by pulling a lever. if you think you'd like to wall off, set this up early.
>actually have a military
start one right away, the second you arrive. one of your starting 7 + a couple more from the first immigrant wave training full time, will do a pretty good job against a werebeast distracted by animals.
even if they have shoddy copper and wood gear, so don't wait until you have your metal industry going. you can always give them better gear later

Traps. Any traps. Pitfall trap, room freeze trap, flooding trap, cage trap, weapon trap.
Weapon traps work well, now that they might not crash your game.

>Try to claim a site
>Nothing happens

is it possible to have your adventurer settle down in your fort and have them as a citizen

>start a new fort
>immediatly two alligator INSIDE my cart
>kill all but one miner

Sometimes you just win the gator lottery.

Alright, I'll try out some of these things for my new fort. Will report back once werebeast are attacking again.

So I just had my first siege in my not-quite-defensively designed fort (Read: the fight was an all-out brawl, no traps or trickery)

There must have been like couple dozens of 'em, all on beak dogs, trolls and a squad of human mercs that tried to flank us.
It was crazy intense but oh so much worth it!

Result:
Dwarf victory, goblin forces routed, Wheelsmirror endures.

Participants:
Dwarves of Atolmosus Kodor, "The True Room of Dawning"
vs
Goblins of Kagusngulsu, "The Crazy Terrors"

Commanders and leaders:
Lòr Kadôlbiban and Asmel Åmavuz
vs
~Unknown~

Strength:
(Local millitia of Wheelsmirror)
10 axedwarves, 10 marksdwarves
(Local populace of Wheelsmirror)
~10 incidental civilians, ~10 incidental tame animals
vs
~60 mounted goblin invaders, ~60 trained war beak dogs, 10 trolls, 10 human mercenaries

Casualties and losses:
5 axedwarves, 2 civilians, 3 tame animals
6 dwarves wounded, 2 animals wounded
vs
14 goblins, 25 beak dogs, 8 trolls, 9 mercenaries
~countless wounded~

Sweet! Now to lick our wounds before the next skirmish...

I don't have this problem embarking on glaciers

werebeasts are trapavoid, aren't they? you can still get them with "traps" you need to trigger manually, but I don't think straight up cage/weapon ones will do anything

reminds me of the first time I embarked on a cave entrance
>5-6 trogs come out immediately and start hanging around
>those guys are harmless haha
>just chopping down my first few trees and planning where the fort will be
>dwarves start chasing trogs around, big retarded battle starts, dwarves and trogs both start freaking out
>several dead trogs spattered all around wagon
>6 injured dwarves, all too badly hurt to move
>1 remaining dwarf is in shock and then goes insane
RIP

My fort just got infected by a weredeer

A fucking weredeer

obligatory tileset bullying

A werebeast is a werebeast, Urist.

>goblins invade as well, right next to the elves
>goblins slaughter the elves
>dwarfs manage to kill goblins, but with heavy losses
Well, I didn't want to set up a metalworking operation just yet, but this new need for trap parts has forced my hand.

why do you keep posting different pictures of the same carvings? they are nice and crude and all but we have seen them 100 times, and to me there is no noticeable difference..

is throwing gay dwarves into 20z+ deep pits the halal way of removing this blasphemy

I'm turning bogeyman off. Fuck this

...why would you remove animal men?

He doesn't like fun, or has some latent desire from 2005 to purge anything perceived as furry.

Nice field report Urist, this battle has shown the goblins to either think again, or show up with larger numbers. Either way, at least your dwarfs can be prepared for this madness

My marksdwarves aren't training.

I've established a squad of 5, and I have 3 archery targets, set for their squad to train there and proper alignment. There's bolts and crossbows in the bins within the room as well.

I've made sure I assigned the right wooden training bolts, and I navigated the god-awful military screen to schedule training in the active/training alert so that there's 4 minimum dwaves so they don't work themselves to death.

When they weren't training I altered the numbers higher and lower to no avail.

When I have a barracks and toggle training for them, they all religiously train wrestling and striking in the separate barracks and don't use their crossbows to shoot.

I know I've gotten their uniforms right as well.

Even as active with training areas, they just socialize in the tavern.

>6000 goblins
holy FUCK

No, by Armok's commandment you must throw them from a high tower, instead of a deep pit.

You can set train to always it’s fine. Who keeps telling players not to train all squad members always? They take breaks, train fast, and are always happier learning a skill

You know what to do.

How do you determine gayness?

Ok i heard of monster hunter but beast hunters?

I like having gay dwarfs

Everyone who doesn't have kids is a potential gay. You must kill these degenerates.

>the continent of stabbing

Atleast you know how to deal with them.

There's three ~10000 pop ones within half a day's march where I'm at.

So far we survive, but damn do they mean business.
Most recent battle I had a beast hunter immigrant last fort (not visitor) and she just hunted like a normal hunter.
Not sure what's the difference (if any).

The archery targets cant overlap

>The most recent elven caravan brought in a breeding pare of GIANT saltwater crocs and a tiger
Guess they ain't so bad all the time, still wish they brought seeds rather than just straight food nuts.

On the subject of trading, the jungle/mountain I settled my fort on is just lousy with gold, silver, platinum and the like, yet also a bunch of sphalarite and copper, so I decided to start making brass. Is it better to decorate with it or use it as the base craft? its difficult figuring out multiplyer and value stuff from the wiki at times.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

!!!!!!

The bug is that when you dig away cast obsidian it leaves floors of the layer material, not obsidian This hasn't changed, it's a side effect of a change back in 2014 that stopped minerals and gems from leaving floors of their own material, instead reverting to the layer stone.

Yes they can.

What? You can’t line up several in a row and make each a large room?

hmmmmm.

Ah, fuck. Other than finding an obsidian layer, is there any way to get around it?

If you don't want them to work properly then they can

HMMMMMMM.

Was just a handy picture, haven't taken one of anything newer yet.

Because they're annoying when you're working on a mod with a different feel and I honestly haven't thought twice about them being absent?

The floor created by the walls that you cast (1z above) will be obsidian. Only the floors below the walls you dig away or below constructions that you remove from cast floors will revert to their layer material. That should give you enough general info to go on. Without knowing exactly what you're doing it's hard to give specific advice. If you need entire rooms (i.e. both walls and floors) made from cast obsidian there's probably a way to do it with constructed molds, but that's a lot of work.

Uh.

Why the fuck did they die?

Throw him in the swimming pool

Weaponsmith / metalsmith has claimed a forge. Place your bets. Iron battle axe? Silver war hammer? Or copper toy boat? We shall see

please respond

They couldn't bear living in that tileset, F.

Dehydration?

But why would they dehydrate?

I have buckets and a water source.

The motherfucker just grabbed a single copper bar and a single gem. Oh boy...
Yes

They work fine whether targets overlap or not. I do it in every fort and literally cannot prevent my dwarves from becoming elite marksdwarves with no other combat skills unless I keep them away from ammo or remove their squads' training designations from the targets.

I think I'm just gonna make him manager eternal, lock him away and keep him there.

I'm gonna guess you fucked up the ramps. Also, brew some booze you sadistic fuck.

>ramps

OH FUG

how

>If you need entire rooms (i.e. both walls and floors) made from cast obsidian there's probably a way to do it with constructed molds, but that's a lot of work.
Well they don't call them megaprojects because they're easy. So, if I cast obsidian, built walls on top of them and deconstruct the walls, that won't change the floors beneath them, right?

>married with 10 kids
Not a vampire.

>take dude to fort
>retire in site

there u go

Why not fill a multi z pit with obsidian and leave the bottom layer obsidian?

>building a sky fort
>haha I'm gonna be impregnable and self sufficient in the sky come at me things that aren't keas
>that bug where you can't grow anything/farm on muddy constructed floors is still there
Well, it's a good thing I've got egg layers for food, but that really sucks I can't make a tree farm/garden in the sky.

>if I cast obsidian, built walls on top of them and deconstruct the walls, that won't change the floors beneath them, right?
I believe it will, yes. I haven't done it in a long time, and I'm like 80% sure that's why I started being so careful not to.

holy fuck just release .03 I already played the fuck out of .02 and I want the visitor bug fixed

doesn't matter, he counts as a member of my fort but at the moment won't even do a job, doesn't even have labors that can be assigned to him, even though he's showing up as a member of the fort.

I am fucking confused, is this guy just on vacation or something?

He's retired

>residency
He's not a citizen or he doesnt work cause hes a noble

You accepted his petition, now he is going to hang out in your tavern drinking your booze and occasionally recite poetry.

Holy shit urists, I just caught a hydra and trained it.

I've only seen a kea once, and that was in adventurer mode when I was decapitating woodland creatures for fun

>cause hes a noble
That hasn't worked for years.

This sounds neat. I might give it a shot once toady releases the next update that hopefully fixes the visitor bugs.

Can you train hydras from the get go nowadays? Did he get rid of that exotic animal tag?

>let world gen run until 1022
>check the leadership of the only remaining dwarven civ

Shit, maybe I let it run for too long. Can I raid my own civ and purge the gobbos?

>hourglass shaped mountain range with peak exactly in the one tile pinch
>good aligned area next to it
woah

I heard you can be at war with your own civ, but I don't really know so my post is completely useless and you should wait for someone else to reply.

I present to you, the brown finger.

An ALMOST perfect round shaped mountain with a peak right in the mids of it.

you cant embark on that peak, which makes it pointless, meanwhile i can do a good area embark with a peak bordering lowlands which gives me a massive wall to turn into a fortress

can creatures see through cages?

Bay12ers will say this is fine and will argue dwarves should not having discrimination.

it is fine, but not because of any retarded sjw reasons, its fine because that world generated with a history that lead to that situation

"he is not distracted after being kept from alcohol"
That is not a dwarf.

>In the midspring of 128, the dwarf Kubuk Circledpaddle fooled The Fountain of Hoping into believing he was "the goblin the peddler Inod Bronzechucked of The Fountain of Hoping
That's one hell of a disguise.

>put on some greenface and a purple wig
>everybody thinks youre a goblin

Just kill them pussy

Dwarves are essentially just drunk goblins, to be fair.

All worlds lead to that situation because goblins don't need to eat and don't die of old age.

Okay, what's the better trap weapon: silver spiked ball, or copper serrated disc?