/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Forgotten Beast Edition

Previous thread →

PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (updated for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168411.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha released for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

first for BOATS WHEN?

Is this the real thread
is this just fantasy

what's the best way to get rid of watersources at the edge of the map? i've been trying to drain the surrounding areas enough to channel out right in front of them, to ultimately wall them over. but it's incredibly tedious, is there a better way?

dump magma on it

no escape from the elven landslide

If I make a floor out of metal and fill the area with elvish mercenarys and monster hunters then cause a cave-in. Will the elvs damage things when they hit them? Will their backpack contents hurt people?

If not, the metal floor will.

> I hope you are enjoying the new version! Thanks for a great month. As mentioned over in the latest Future of the Fortress, releasing over the holiday jammed me up a bit, and there's a talk in Montreal coming up, so the ball will be a little slow to start rolling, but we're planning on doing bug-fixes, smaller suggestions, minor improvements and incremental changes for some months now, before we dive into the myth/magic development. More as the path forward is decided!
>talk in Montreal
CEASE ATTENDING PARTIES
FUCKING FROG

>attending parties
He's just like a dwarf in older versions of the game.

Maybe he is the last dwarf and DF is just a way of accurately memorizing his people.

Please do not post pictures of my wife

What's up with all these bogeymen complaints?
Were they changed since .34?

All you needed to do was travel by day, git gud by slaying monsters to the point you can kill a boogeyman before another comes in range, then slaughter them all.
They teleported across the continent to whoever is travelling so you could kill 100% of their world population in one night.
It's what I always did.

Didn't even took that much of equipment, basic iron armor and a solid slashing or chopping weapon should be enough.
Needed quite a bit in terms of skills but that was perfectly manageable without exploits by hunting monsters while avoiding nighttime.
With ~50 notable and ~200 other kills, it was fine.

>Were they changed since .34?
Not directly but everything is more deadly after force translation was added.

How can I resize the font ingame? I just downloaded a new tileset and it is fucking huge.

>They teleported across the continent to whoever is travelling so you could kill 100% of their world population in one night.

Dont know if it was different in 34 - but now their numbers are infinite, since they have no set populations outside of spawning at night to harass you - you can kill enough of them for them to stop coming for the night, but they'll always come back sooner or later.

Someone in the previous thread mentioned that from looking at their extracted raws, their combat skills are 3 levels higher than forgotten beasts and dragons; and also like all procedural creatures, their attack and recovery time is faster.

For a swarming-type enemy that will attack you if you dont have companions with you at all times, its ridiculously high - unless you start as a demigod or do skill grinding which is unfun, for hero or peasant adventurers they are nearly impossible to take out if they catch you early.

Also if you want to go on long treks across the land, the "travelling by day" thing doesn't work unless you keep making new sites with the new building stuff. Which again is rather unfun to be doing it over and over. And if you forgot to bring an axe or are in an area with no trees? You're fucked if your companions die.

Tl;dr its better to just remove them with advanced worldgen.

Not even a demigod will be able to defeat them without training.

I got to meet him at one of those. Had a long discussion about labor selection.

I just disable them, they are non-funny. They must occur only in EVIL biomes, not every.

Hey, modders, how do those tokens work and how they could be used?

CONVERTED_SPOUSE
NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER
SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET
SPOUSE_CONVERTER
LAIR

I tried to add all, following the wiki, to the different castes, but nothing happened. Do they work on non-generated creatures? Do they work for civilized?

I suppose the caste with NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER and SPOUSE_CONVERTER and LAIR will take caste with SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET and transform them into caste with CONVERTED_SPOUSE. Does it requires all being put into one creature or could be used for several?

I see. They were already pretty deadly if 3 or more got close to you. The trick was fighting them all one-on-one.

If by "infinite" you mean uncountable like vermin and clowns, then yes. It was the same in .34. Yet I was still able to murder them all by killing like a hundred or so.
Or perhaps it just limited their population significantly enough that they stopped attacking night travelers altogether no idea.
Might be hardcoded or something since I expected them to be endless as well.

>but they'll always come back sooner or later
That never happened to me. Maybe I just didn't play long enough afterwards.
Travelling at night would still trigger incessant cackling - but no boogeymen would spawn.

>they are nearly impossible to take out if they catch you early
That's the idea behind them, they are freaking boogeymen - the living nightmares of civilian populace.
It's only logical that you have to advance beyond being a civilian in a suit of armour to slay them.
That's like expecting dragons not do breathe fire.

>long treks across the land
There was no site making back then so can't comment on the wood/axe/companion part.
You could make a campfire that scared them away but it slowed you down a lot by pinning you in-place for the night.
Do rivers/brooks no longer stop their spawn? That was one great way to travel by night with ease.

>its better to just remove them with advanced worldgen
Each to his own I suppose. You're probably right that for a shorter adventures (read: not playing several years attempting to be the hero your world deserves) it's better to remove them.

They work on non-generated creatures - dont know about civilized.

SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET is for civilized races, allows them to be targets for spouse converters.

For night troll-esque creatures to work properly, you need to have NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER as an all-caste thing - then one caste, i.e the female, with SPOUSE_CONVERTER, and the other with CONVERTED_SPOUSE. Alternatively you can give both to both castes, but the issue that pops up then is you'll have male night trolls converting creatures into more males, at which point they obviously wont breed.

LAIR should be creature level, not caste level.

They also need biome tokens fyi.

Thanks

Who do I watch to actually learn how to play this game? There are many tutorials on youtube of full playthroughs, but whom would you recommend? The one in the OP which is not marked dated is from 2014, surely the game must have changed since then?

just use the beginners guide on the wiki. Watching other people is a fools errand, until you've become fluid with ascii

>It's only logical that you have to advance beyond being a civilian in a suit of armour to slay them.

Yes, but for gameplay purposes its just not fun to suddenly get ass-raped by a bunch of child-sized creatures you cannot hit because they're more skilled in combat than fucking dragons.

I'd rather they be implemented differently or atleast not have such ridiculously high skills. As of now they're either a death condition if you prefer to travel alone or just an annoying speedbump once you are skilled enough to take them on (although they still can overexert you due to the numbers and how hard they are to hit).

I've gotten one-shot many times by horned bogeys piercing my skull through a high-quality iron helmet. Even if you have armor, their size puts all of the force of their attacks into a small contact area, enough to pierce through it.

Also desu, I do longer adventures through large worlds a lot, rather than short ones - thats the main reason I disable bogeys. I don't want to get screwed over in the night in the middle of nowhere, without civilization in sight, because my only remaining companion got buttfucked by a bunch of dingoes; I don't want to do unfun grinds for skills either.

Campfires don't scare them away anymore I think - dont know about brookes/rivers.

Only other way to not deal with them is to play as an animal person type, like a bark scorpion or other insectoid type, that feels no fear - somehow it makes bogeys non-hostile. But limiting yourself to only playing as those is also rather lame, and why bother when you can just use advanced worldgen.

>for gameplay purposes its just not fun to suddenly get ass-raped by a bunch of child-sized creatures you cannot hit because they're more skilled in combat than fucking dragons
Eh, why not? Game punishes you for making a mistake. A bit brutal, but that's dwarf fortress for you.

>I'd rather they be implemented differently
Oh me too. I'm not defending their implementation, that's got a long way to go yet.
But as a work in progress they do their job fine.

>Campfires don't scare them away anymore
Campfires never did scare them. They just made it so incessant cackling didn't trigger if you stayed near the camp light for the entirety of night.
If you already triggered incessant cackling before, no amount of forest fires could stop them.

Like I said - I personally like them, but agree that they may become tiring and feel like artificial difficulty if you have to deal with them a lot (i.e. restart adventure mode often).
If you disable them in worldgen - that's perfectly fine. It's not like you're missing out on something. They are more a flavour-thing than a gameplay-thing.

I usually recommend the Dastactic series, it's very thorough and has some funny occurrences that kind of showcase part of the draw of the game. It doesn't matter that it's a few years old, you're just learning how to function and it will work just fine for that.

I learned using the flowchart and the quickstart guide, though. Mining gold, smelting it into bars, smithing the bars into statues, and trading gold bars and gold statues to caravans for supplies was able to shoehorn me into the game relatively easily early on.

Looks like NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER works for civilized creatures, but not in full force. It doesn't make pops to make lair and transform each other(for now, i'm making !!SCIENCE!!) but it makes them constantly fight and devour everybody in worldgen, and they also stride thru the night, ignoring dialogues. They still produce offspring by traditional ways.

The only way to beat boogeymen is to grind off owls for a few days. From a roleplaying perspective, I feel like a fucking idiot for grappling a turtle to gain combat skills. It doesn't make any sense

I don't grind so boogeymen are a real pain in the dwarf hole to me

There are no Dwarf holes. Dwarves do no poop.

I play with Phoebus graphic pack but with all creature sprites except for dwarves, elves, humans and goblins turned off. Mainly because I can't memorise profession colors at all and ascii grass makes me vomit. For wildlife on the other hand it' much easier to have them as letters instead of shitty sprites.

I think the main issue I have is that "not bringing companions" shouldn't be considered a "mistake", moreso a personal choice someone makes - its more risky but you also obviously get more glory for it.

I'd like to see them, lets say, as a result of being cursed by some evil titan or other megabeast. Prevents you from going to sleep and you have to fight them off for the night before you can properly sleep, but it'll come back unless you get it cured - I know in the current system its not possible, but maybe later.

What tileset is the same as ascii except square?

If you want to really want to fuck the boogeymen up, pick up some wooden shields and then remove them from your backpack. You can wield as many shields as you like with this method. Each shield gets its own combat roll, turning you into a enclosed shell of armor

You don't get boogeymen if you travel with companions? I had no idea, always adventured alone.
By mistake I meant being out in the wilderness when the sun sets.

What the fuck

Yeah, thats the main reason you bring companions along - so you don't get buttfucked at the start of an adventure by bogeys.

Was there some change in day/night cycle or what? It wasn't all that difficult to travel only by day.
You got me intrigued now. I'll go adventuring once I'm done with current fort.

The main issue in the current version is you can only go travelling alone if you have civ sites nearby for when night falls.

You cannot make long treks alone because unless you're a really high-skill adventurer you'll just get destroyed by bogeys during the night.

You can't bounce off non-civ sites (lairs, camps, rivers) anymore?

curses_square_16x16.png

comes with the game

Don't think rivers count as sites - I don't remember if you can rest at camps, but you definitely cannot sleep at lairs anymore.

Well that makes things complicated.
I can see why there's so many boogeyman complaints now.

Please tell me at least beaches are still safe?

I want to gen world here dwarf civ has elves in it, play as elf adventurer form that civ with personality that is as far from elves and as close to dwarves as possible, raise him to murder machine status, then retire him at new fort and make him militia commander. Is it possible or adventurers still go insane the moment you switch to fort mode from all past kills?

All my adventurers end up being buff swordhumans with iron armor, anyone got original ideas for intresting adventure mode characters?

Buff spearman with bronze armor.

Those still are, I think.

Nah, they'll be fine. Take above average willpower (helps against spooky things anyway).

Be a Brown bear man who ONLY throws and wrestles. Put objects inside other objects until you have massively heavy bags. Beat people with them

>ONLY throws and wrestles
then he can't beat people with heavy bags, you dummy

Well he can throw the bag, unless he is talking about wrestling throws

if I drop a few weapons into a fighting pit, will prisoners equip them if they're unarmed and fighting someone?

mantisman kung fu fighter

Recommend me some fun mods for 43.05.

The my dick in your ass mod

>unplayable adv mode
>broken visitors in fort mode
I'll pass

I'm playing adventure mode right now tho

You think you are but you actually aren't, in fact, you're not even playing Dwarf Fortress.

oh shit

Im cross-posting in the /ss13g/ general and I got legit confused with this post

Haowan, and Myne almost (both 18x18). There are a couple of others in different sizes.

Explain how either of these makes the game unplayable?
Visitors aren't a problem as long as you build a drowning chamber or such.
And I don't know where the "unplayable adv mode" meme came from because I'm playing it just fine right now.

build a little alligator shrine in fort mode with some bejeweled alligator man armor in it, pick it up with an alligator man in adventure mode and run around biting, clawing and tossing people with your mouth after thrashing them a couple of times.

[TRUETYPE:YES]

looks like absolute dogshit though

I don't take anyone seriously who says this and I'll be ignoring every post you ever make in these threads for the rest of your life.

Tbh the main issue with adv mode is that the identity shit screwed a lot of things up. Its a crapshoot as to whether companions will join you when fighting bandits or not (sometimes they just stand there - dont even show up as allies) - noone recognizes your accomplishments either for the same reason.

lol. i like ascii, but the default square version just looks awful.

The default tileset is pure shit though.

>197442406
>197442662
I see nothing here but Veeky Forums background, I can't even properly (you) these terrible imaginary conceptualizations of posts.

I don't know if you realized but there are two threads right now